Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
AustinPlantation

Over 50? Get a Shingles Shot

post-385-0-47220300-1321487776_thumb.jpg

My wife notced a minor spot on her forehead last weekend.

This moring, her eyelid has swelled up greatly and she was in pain all over her fce , from ear to ear.

Went to Immediate Med and found out it was Shingles, which anyone who ever got Chicken Pox canget at a senior age.

Got meds to reduce the virus and reduce the pain, which will take a few weeks to heal.

Then went to opthomologist in the heavy rain to see if it had affected the eye. Not yet, have to go back next week to check.

Get your Shingles Shot if your 50+

Wise advice.

A good friend got shingles last year and suffered horribly. She had it on her face, all over her torso, arms, etc. It took months of expensive medications (she has no health insurance)to clear up what a one time $200 shot would have prevented.

I hope your wife feels better SOON!!!

The vaccine is available thru either your local doctor or the Health dept. You proberly will have to get put on a list or at least my wife did at the East Paulding group. They say that they can only get a limited number of doses. BUT she is glad to get the shot after she got them with the pain and swelling.

Unless it has recently changed, your insurance will not pay for the vaccine until you are 60.

I am 59 and plan to get mine next summer. This is a crippling ailment which as I understand it is extremely painful.

I don't care what the NaySayers have to say on the vaccines, I will indeed get this one.

Oh my goodness...I know she is suffering. I have had shingles 3 times and the one time they were on my face and head was the worst, and it was not nearly as bad as hers looks to be. the rash is only the minor part. It is really the chicken pox virus attacking a band of nerves so the pain is deep. I am in my 40's and have not had the shot. From what I understand it is quite expensive and the insurance won't pay until you are a certain age. I am not sure how old though. My son who is 21 now had shingles when he was 12 years old. I had never heard of anyone having them that young. He still remembers it and talks about how painful it was.

I had the Shingles last year about this same time and luckily (sp?) I didn't have it real bad, NO PAIN, just 5 little blisters that itched like there was no tomorrow!!!!!!!! Dr. Agha took a sample and sent it off to be biopsied (sp?) and it came back non cancerous. :yahoo: don't look at my fat back,lol You can see where the adhesive from the bandage was irritating my skin. That's another thing allergic to. :pardon:

S6300096.jpg

post-385-0-47220300-1321487776_thumb.jpg

My wife notced a minor spot on her forehead last weekend.

This moring, her eyelid has swelled up greatly and she was in pain all over her fce , from ear to ear.

Went to Immediate Med and found out it was Shingles, which anyone who ever got Chicken Pox canget at a senior age.

Got meds to reduce the virus and reduce the pain, which will take a few weeks to heal.

Then went to opthomologist in the heavy rain to see if it had affected the eye. Not yet, have to go back next week to check.

Get your Shingles Shot if your 50+

I have always heard that shingles is horrible. I hope your wife feels much better very soon and can get back to her normal routine quickly. :wub:

Oh my goodness i had the shingles half around my body last year have never known pain so severe. I was in pain for 3 mnths. I have had open heart surgery , vascular surg, and back surg and my pain wasn"t that bad.Afterward I had the shot but they said it was still expirmental there wasno promise that I wouldn't get it again. Insurance wouldn't pay it cost me 200.00 and something dollars but I would't care if it would have been 1'000. I still have places on my back and stomachwhere they were and they let me know they are there at times.

My mother is about to start her 4th yr with the pain from shingles. My 32 yr old daughter has had them. Two ladies at my church has just had them. Needless to say I got the shot for them and I'm not 60 yet. GO GET THE SHOT!!!

I have had the shingles since the first of July, And it has been very painful at times.

I sure wish that I had got the shot,regardless of the cost

Oh my goodness...I know she is suffering. I have had shingles 3 times and the one time they were on my face and head was the worst, and it was not nearly as bad as hers looks to be. the rash is only the minor part. It is really the chicken pox virus attacking a band of nerves so the pain is deep. I am in my 40's and have not had the shot. From what I understand it is quite expensive and the insurance won't pay until you are a certain age. I am not sure how old though. My son who is 21 now had shingles when he was 12 years old. I had never heard of anyone having them that young. He still remembers it and talks about how painful it was.

My son had them when he was 4. Now that children are vaccinated against chicken pox (rather than actually having the disease) we will see more and more young outbreaks. Thankfully, young people bounce back much better than the elderly. Unfortunately, once you have shingles, you are more likely to redevelop in the future.

Unless it has recently changed, your insurance will not pay for the vaccine until you are 60.

I am 59 and plan to get mine next summer. This is a crippling ailment which as I understand it is extremely painful.

I don't care what the NaySayers have to say on the vaccines, I will indeed get this one.

I just called, Tricare will pay for it at age 50+. I will still have to wait a few years.

my girlfriend isn't 30 yet and has had shingles more than once.

My daughter has had it 3 times. She's 22. Her first was when she was 10!

My son had them when he was 4. Now that children are vaccinated against chicken pox (rather than actually having the disease) we will see more and more young outbreaks. Thankfully, young people bounce back much better than the elderly. Unfortunately, once you have shingles, you are more likely to redevelop in the future.

Are you certain of this ?

It was my understanding that shingles could only occur in people who had indeed HAD chicken pox. The virus can go dormant, and remain in your system for many, many years, and they flare up again typically later in life....50s, 60s, 70s.\

This would be news to me if someone vaccinated against chicken pox, who never had chicken pox, could contract shingles.

Does not matter for me, or mine. We all had chicken pox and are candidates for shingles. I will get the vaccine. My insurance will not pay for it until I am 60. If we settle any part of our lawsuits anytime in the near future, I will gladly pay for the vaccine now.