16 replies to this topic

#1 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

I know there are so many cooking shows but I love this one. It's great to show you how to use just about anything you have in your kitchen to make a great dish. Since I've been watching it, I've challenged myself to use what I have when I would've made a Publix run. I've managed to make some really good stuff that way.

They give chefs a few ingredients they must use in a dish/part of 3 courses. It's usually something like kale, dried shrimp,black garlic, fruit cocktail and snapper...:mellow: . You can learn so much from watching and listening to their methods even if you wont ever use the same ingredients. Fast moving and lots of fun to watch.

Who is John Galt?

"The government was set to protect man from criminals, and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government." -Ayn Rand

#2 sugail

sugail

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

I watch this show all the time and I must say that I doubt I will ever find a lot of the things that they have to use, in my kitchen. lol. It is very entertaining at times, especially when a very confident (cocky) chef gets eliminated. Don't like to see the ones that cut themselves and are bleeding while they're preparing the food.
  • A Gipper Girl likes this

#3 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

I watch this show all the time and I must say that I doubt I will ever find a lot of the things that they have to use, in my kitchen. lol. It is very entertaining at times, especially when a very confident (cocky) chef gets eliminated. Don't like to see the ones that cut themselves and are bleeding while they're preparing the food.

I agree. I was really pulling for a girl who was a personal chef and looked like any mom you'd see everyday. She was up against an especially cocky and seemingly unfriendly Asian chef who was VERRRRRY proud of "his" style of cooking. He kept mentioning the fact that she deep fried two things like it was total garbage. She ended up winning the whole thing and I was cheering for her.
I'll never use a lot of their ingredients but it has opened up my thinking to use some ingredients I wouldnt have initially thought to use and in different ways.

Who is John Galt?

"The government was set to protect man from criminals, and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government." -Ayn Rand

#4 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,316 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

I agree. I was really pulling for a girl who was a personal chef and looked like any mom you'd see everyday. She was up against an especially cocky and seemingly unfriendly Asian chef who was VERRRRRY proud of "his" style of cooking. He kept mentioning the fact that she deep fried two things like it was total garbage. She ended up winning the whole thing and I was cheering for her.
I'll never use a lot of their ingredients but it has opened up my thinking to use some ingredients I wouldnt have initially thought to use and in different ways.

No joke! I love the show, watch it all the time. Too many reruns IMO, and the ingredients...well, not too long ago they had bull testicles. Really? I think I could easily go through life with out eating that. That is not a teaching thing, that is a "reality show" thing. I can see it now:

And on tonights show.....what can the chefs do with jellybeans, onions and chicken embryos?

I do love the food network through.
  • A Gipper Girl likes this
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#5 Zipperneck

Zipperneck

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

I watched this episode as well, and I was pulling for the same girl!
I have started watching this show when I can get the controller away from my husband! :pardon:

#6 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

No joke! I love the show, watch it all the time. Too many reruns IMO, and the ingredients...well, not too long ago they had bull testicles. Really? I think I could easily go through life with out eating that. That is not a teaching thing, that is a "reality show" thing. I can see it now:

And on tonights show.....what can the chefs do with jellybeans, onions and chicken embryos?

:lol:

I've never watched it, but that was FUNNY!

#7 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

I watched this episode as well, and I was pulling for the same girl!
I have started watching this show when I can get the controller away from my husband! :pardon:

thats great. I really wanted her to win especially after he was sooooo "we not do that in my country...she fry every-Ting"...lol. Politically incorrect, I know but I wanted to poke him in the eye with a chopstick.

HAHA! i have picked up some things from it but I know what youre saying. Some of the ingredients are crazy and then some are soooo common but to a real chef, the ingredient is so "below" them...like french dressing and fruit cocktail. I love seeing them scurry around trying to hide them.

Who is John Galt?

#8 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,316 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

:lol:

I've never watched it, but that was FUNNY!

So glad we are starting to think alike again. :drinks:

It's kind of fun cause you get a lot of different personalities.
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#9 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

So glad we are starting to think alike again. :drinks:

It's kind of fun cause you get a lot of different personalities.

:) :drinks:

You mean sorta like pcom? ;)

#10 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,316 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

:) :drinks:

You mean sorta like pcom? ;)

Yup, but these contestants mind their manners! :D

Different strokes and all........

#11 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Yup, but these contestants mind their manners! :D

Different strokes and all........

Then you're saying it's an educational program?

:rolleyes:

#12 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,316 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

Then you're saying it's an educational program?

:rolleyes:

Oh, yes......in a couple of different areas.

#13 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,443 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:56 AM

I watch it from time-to-time, very entaining.
I also agree it can get a bit strange with some of the ingredients that are "mandatory" :wacko:
Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#14 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

I know there are so many cooking shows but I love this one. It's great to show you how to use just about anything you have in your kitchen to make a great dish. Since I've been watching it, I've challenged myself to use what I have when I would've made a Publix run. I've managed to make some really good stuff that way.

They give chefs a few ingredients they must use in a dish/part of 3 courses. It's usually something like kale, dried shrimp,black garlic, fruit cocktail and snapper...:mellow: . You can learn so much from watching and listening to their methods even if you wont ever use the same ingredients. Fast moving and lots of fun to watch.

I love this show. I've watched is so much that now when they get those off the wall ingredients, I am thinking to myself how I would make them work. I do hate the way the judges act sometimes though.......'Well, the marshmallow cream is way too sweet with the tripe and tortilla chip salsa'. REALLY?!?! WHO KNEW!?! :lol:

#15 sugail

sugail

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

I think you're talking about the young lady from Stamping Ground, KY. I was pulling for her too. My grandmother used to live in Stamping Ground.

#16 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,379 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

I LOVE Chopped! I like when they have crazy ingredients, :pardon: I especially enjoyed the Halloween themed episodes. And I agree, the show does inspire me to be more creative while cooking. :)
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#17 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

I love this show. I've watched is so much that now when they get those off the wall ingredients, I am thinking to myself how I would make them work. I do hate the way the judges act sometimes though.......'Well, the marshmallow cream is way too sweet with the tripe and tortilla chip salsa'. REALLY?!?! WHO KNEW!?! :lol:

SOOOOO true, MO3!!!
I feel the same way about the things the judges say lots of times.
When one chef blended fruit cocktail to "hide" it, they told him they wanted more of it yet if he put that in a dish on his own, they wouldve let him have it and called it amateur...:mellow: :unsure: :blink: :lol: .
I do the same with thinking about what Id do with the ingredients. Isnt it AMAZING how many ideas they come up with so quickly? You KNOW they have to be above average chefs in real life.

I think you're talking about the young lady from Stamping Ground, KY. I was pulling for her too. My grandmother used to live in Stamping Ground.

That was her!:D So glad she won the $$$$.

Who is John Galt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics