Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
michelay1000

Steve Jobs Stepping Down?

My link

Hold on to your iPhones, iPads -- and most importantly, your Apple stock -- Steve Jobs is stepping down from his post as CEO.

Jobs handed in his letter of resignation today, but will stay on as the Chairman of Apple's Board of Directors. Tim Cook will be the new CEO.

Jobs has been on medical leave most of 2011-- and hinted at his continuing health issues in the letter ... saying, "I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come."

What about the health of the thousands of workers in Foxconn facilities making Apple products? Did you care that several of them committed suicide because of the poor conditions at the factory?

I have been dreading this day, but pretty much knew it was coming when Steve went on another medical leave earlier this year. I read earlier today that people who have pancreatic cancer and have a liver transplant, typically only live about 2 years after the transplant. He is past the 2 year mark.

I'm concerned about this for several reasons:

1. The way Apple has been operated under Steve's leadership has resulted in a business that IS Steve Jobs. He is the visionary for the company and micromanages every aspect of the business and product development. I'm not sure that there is anyone at the company that has had any practice making decisions.

2. Will their product offerings suffer because of his departure? A real possibility.

3. I would expect their stock price to fall significantly until Apple proves that they can generate the same revenue without Jobs. (The stock dropped 5% in after-hours trading today).

4. Competition results in better products for us. I'm not sure that Microsoft, Dell, HP, Motorola, HTC, (and other hardware manufacturers) would have the advanced products that they have today were it not for Apple being in the picture. If they are no longer able to develop products that advance technology, will another company take the lead.

Jobs was one of the founders of the company and was later fired. He was brought back many years later and rescued the company by developing great products and made it the gigantic profit center that it is today. It will be interesting to watch what happens in the days, weeks and months to come.

• Like 1

I figured it was just a matter of time. When I've watched the last few Apple events and Jobs is there, he looks worse every time. I know the last one he looked almost like one of the holocaust victims, so thin and just rough looking. I hope he is able to conquer whatever is afflicting him, but I do agree he pretty much IS the company. Apple was the one that really pushed the limits with music players, smartphones, tablets, even their operating system. Its not often that someone comes along that changes an entire industry.

What about the health of the thousands of workers in Foxconn facilities making Apple products? Did you care that several of them committed suicide because of the poor conditions at the factory?

from wiki

The Foxconn suicides occurred between January and November, 2010, when eighteen[1] Foxconn employees attempted suicide with fourteen deaths.[1][2][3] The suicides drew media attention, and employment practices at Foxconn, a large contract manufacturer, were investigated by several of its customers.[4] Foxconn is a major manufacturer catering to famous-name brands including Dell, Sony, Motorola, Apple, HP and Nokia.[4][5]

The suicides prompted 20 Chinese universities to compile a report on Foxconn, which they decried as a labour camp.[2] Other experts have claimed that employees are treated comparatively well at Foxconn,[6] but news reports have been critical. Long working hours,[6] discrimination of mainland Chinese workers by their Taiwanese coworkers,[7] and a lack of working relationships[8] have all been cited as potential causes.

The Foxconn deaths may have been a product of economic conditions in China during 2010. These conditions also led to several major strike actions at high-profile manufacturers in China. The Lewisian turning-point and the decline in the surplus Chinese labour-pool are two potential macro-economic factors.[9][10]

In response, Foxconn substantially increased wages for its southern China workforce,[11][12] installed suicide-prevention netting,[13] and asked employees to sign no-suicide pledges.[