Paulding.com

something going on - Old County Farm Rd/Moses MS area

buses cannot go to Moses at this time and have been directed to go to Abney for the time being

I heard LAW1 go to emergency status but did not pick up on why. There are officers out on Old County Farm Rd - units referencing SWAT channel at this time

** don't know if school is involved at this time or simply road is blocked in the area **

Edited by FreeBird

I've received some info from a reliable resource that the school was put on lock down because of a non-school related incident in the vicinity of Moses. The perp, who was almost certainly not on school property (just close enough to cause concern) was apprehended and the lock down has since been lifted ... i.e. all is well.

That said, I'm waiting on a formal release regarding the details from the SO.

pubby

this happened last year or the year before and Dr. Bennett send a "call-out" to let parents know what was going on and another when the situation was over. If anything was going on I do believe we would be notified. I have a lot of faith in her and her staff.

thanks for the info Pubby :good:

Here's what happened according to PCSO spokesman Brandon Gurley. Shortly before 2 p.m. the SO got a report of a man threatening suicide out side a home on Old County Farm Road next to Moses Middle School. The SO set up a defensive perimeter around the home between the school and informed the school board which put Moses on lock down.

Negotiators convinced the man to give up without incident. He was transported to the ER at Paulding Welstar Hospital between 2:30 and 3 pm where he is being evaluated. Further disposition of the case will be a medical/mental health decision. No charges have been filed. All has been returned to normal and school is being released on schedule.

pubby

Here's what happened according to PCSO spokesman Brandon Gurley. Shortly before 2 p.m. the SO got a report of a man threatening suicide out side a home on Old County Farm Road next to Moses Middle School. The SO set up a defensive perimeter around the home between the school and informed the school board which put Moses on lock down.

Negotiators convinced the man to give up without incident. He was transported to the ER at Paulding Welstar Hospital between 2:30 and 3 pm where he is being evaluated. Further disposition of the case will be a medical/mental health decision. No charges have been filed. All has been returned to normal and school is being released on schedule.

pubby

Thank you for reporting. Glad it ended well.

Freebird:

I'm sure that they'd like to know when it is happening but I also think you and I both know that unless it lasts longer than an hour - which this one didn't - it is unlikely that the SO would have time to clue the public or the newsmedia would have time to arrive for coverage.

Other than those events where the situation drags on for hours, the only time that information like this typically will be known contemporaneously is when a neighbor, peering from their front window, calls a news media instead of 911 or a friend. For instance the last time I remember something like that happening is the Virginia Tech shooting when the person with their cell phone started sending streaming video to CNN.

We had one incident when there was a standoff inside a house of Buchanan highway when a pcom member lived like six or seven houses away and started sending photo's of the SWAT truck and the house while the TV stations were corralled a half-mile away in some church parking lot.

If there is a road blocked for much more than a hour, I would suspect that nixle releases would be made. But those alerts are going to provide only the most basic information such as the road/street to avoid.

Bottom line, law enforcement is there not to report the news, but to protect lives and property and if a crime is committed, gather evidence. In terms of priorities, public information is a relatively low priority and one driven probably more by news media asking for information than the public.

pubby

pubby, my question was more based on if items like this should be posted in this forum or not.

I did not hear the initial call out - only that roads were closed and that was affecting bus routes - which affect parents wondering where their kid is, etc. That is why I posted.