Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
LPPT

Bitten again by this amazing insect

I have never seen it with my eyes, I know it has gotten me when I feel the sting.

They many times crawl up into my clothes and bite me also.

I have removed my clothes, turned them inside out and still have never seen what causes such a terrible bite.

This bite is only about an hour old, by bed time tonight the lump will be bigger than my fist, and hard. I will have about 6 inches or more angry swollen flesh surrounding it.

Any guesses?

bite.jpg

OW!

I was stung once by one of those vicious looking flying bugs that come out at night. I've always called them 'mosquito eaters', but I have no idea what they actually are.

One was trapped under my sheets one night, and just went to stinging like crazy until I can find it and smash the hell out of it :angry: . Now I am terrified of them.

They look similar to the second image here... My link but they have a really long, hooked stinger.

My sting looked similar and was incredibly swollen a few hours later.

I have never seen it with my eyes, I know it has gotten me when I feel the sting.

I have removed my clothes, turned them inside out and still have never seen what causes such a terrible bite.

This bite is only about an hour old, by bed time tonight the lump will be bigger than my fist, and hard. I will have about 6 inches or more angry swollen flesh surrounding it.

Any guesses?

post-15671-0-54998700-1313335019_thumb.jpg

I do not know,and it's only recently that I have been bitten by this creature.....And it's always while I'm working in the yard,mainly digging.

Any guesses?

Brown Recluse, LPPT!

I don't think it's a black widow, but it could be a brown recluse bite.

Edited by The Postman

I do not know,and it's only recently that I have been bitten by this creature.....And it's always while I'm working in the yard,mainly digging.

They are actually really tiny black bugs, called them no-see-ums, cause you normally don't see them. They come out worse right as the sun is going down and can eat you up. They often stay in shrubs or the thick layer of dead leaves that naturally covers the ground. They also like damp wet areas. I recommended some type of insect repellent or skin so soft spray, it normally helps keep them away.

http://pelotes.jea.com/AnimalFact/Arthropod/NOSEEUM.htm

They look like little black dots on the skin.

Edited by orrby

Same thing with me, always when I am digging, I thought maybe the reaction to the bite was just my body, do you swell like that too?

They are actually really tiny black bugs, we call them no-see-ems, cause you normally don't see them. They come out worse right as the sun is going down and can eat you up. I recommended some type of insect repellent or skin so soft spray, it normally helps keep them away.

What I think of as noseeums are what I call mites there are 2 varieties the ones that are usually on wooden structures and those in the grass. I don't react to them like I do this thing.

I've been bitten, while hunting, by "no see-ums". They will bite repeatedly and scratching the place brings blood near the surface, which attracts more "no see-ums" . They're not microscopic, but they're much smaller and thinner than mosquitos or even gnats, for instance.

LPPT - the place being raised to six inches or so is a sign of a real allergic reaction to the insect. You may want to get an epi-pen, if you don't keep one already for bee stings - Or certainly keep Benydryl around!

You may want to try Benydryl when you get another bite, to see if it doesn't become one of those big raised places.

Brown Recluse, LPPT!

If it was a brown recluse I have been bitten so many times I would no longer have any flesh left on my body! :rofl:

Any guesses?

Laurie, I feel your pain. I used to have bug bites, chiggers and various other bites until I found out about that OFF fan thingy. I really works, even on chiggers. Do yourself a favor and get one quick, they are at Walmart, Target, etc.

Day and night. Really.

Brown Recluse, LPPT!

The bites I have seen have been more of a crater like bite. They are mean little bugs and will put a real hurting on you.

"Brown Recluse bites are sharp but not initially painful like those of the Black Widow, but a small, white blister is quickly raised, broken, and surrounded by a red welt. An hour or more may pass; then there may be intense pain. The depressed center of this raised, red circle (the size of a dime to a quarter) turns dark within a day. The dead tissue regularly sloughs away, and the bite area scars over in one to eight weeks. Death seldom occurs, but the bite is debilitating and psychologically traumatic. Note: A bite from a brown recluse may also produce an intensely sore lump, even several weeks after the initial injury."

http://www.thebestcontrol.com/lice-chapter/Chapter16.pdf

Here is another one:

"The severity of a person's reaction to the bite (from brown recluse) depends on the amount of venom injected and individual sensitivity to it. Bite effects may be nothing at all, immediate or delayed. Some may not be aware of the bite for 2 to 8 hours, whereas others feel a stinging sensation usually followed by intense pain if there is a severe reaction.

I've been bitten, while hunting, by "no see-ums". They will bite repeatedly and scratching the place brings blood near the surface, which attracts more "no see-ums" . They're not microscopic, but they're much smaller and thinner than mosquitos or even gnats, for instance.

LPPT - the place being raised to six inches or so is a sign of a real allergic reaction to the insect. You may want to get an epi-pen, if you don't keep one already for bee stings - Or certainly keep Benydryl around!

You may want to try Benydryl when you get another bite, to see if it doesn't become one of those big raised places.

I really think this is different there is a stinging sensation much like a sweat bee, if you touch the area it stings worse for about a 1/2 hour after the bite.

The itching much like a bee sting starts during healing. I take the benedryl at bed time, it knocks me on my hiney.

I really think this is different there is a stinging sensation much like a sweat bee, if you touch the area it stings worse for about a 1/2 hour after the bite.

The itching much like a bee sting starts during healing. I take the benedryl at bed time, it knocks me on my hiney.

If it's a bug get one of those fan thingys. They really keep the bugs off and you are not covered in an oily mess. I just clip it on my belt loop.

If it's a bug get one of those fan thingys. They really keep the bugs off and you are not covered in an oily mess. I just clip it on my belt loop.

These almost always crawl up in my clothes. I had bug spray on, in fact I was covered in it. They always bite me high on the thigh, this was the first one I ever got on uncovered skin. They don't seem to mind the spray too much. I am religious about bug spray and covering in the garden since the episode of lyme disease. This morning I wore shorts as I was going to be working for just a short amount of time around the pool.

Surely this thing does not exist only in my garden soil.

Whatever it is, it must be mean!

Yes because once it gets under your clothes it will bite more than once.

I always strip off and rinse with the water hose because I can't see the damn thing.

I throw the clothes in the wash immediately.

I looked around and the only thing I could find is the noseeums also known as midges there are many varieties.

I am often bitten by these, my best guess is that the variety that causes my severe reaction is a bit different than the ones that cause my small itchy whelps.

Oh well it has now reached 4 inches in diameter hot to the touch and rising like a hot cake.

I am headed to the pool to try to forget my encounter.

Same thing with me, always when I am digging, I thought maybe the reaction to the bite was just my body, do you swell like that too?

Mine does not swell up that bad,looks a lot like a bee sting,itching gone within a day.

These are not chiggers or ticks,I have been eat-up by them before and you can't feel the bite.

This particular bug you can feel,I have felt it bite/sting under my pants leg and grab the area to crush the bug.A few minutes later the stinging is back.

Edited by thedeerslayer

This pic is from an article I wrote in 2006....I was published in American Digger magazine in 2008,May-June issue......This is what a tick infestation on your legs looks like.

This pic is from an article I wrote in 2006....I was published in American Digger magazine in 2008,May-June issue......This is what a tick infestation on your legs looks like.

I have never seen that many tick bites.

I got one this year, I was very proud of myself that I did not get hysterical after what I went through a few years ago, I did get the sore like in the picture.

I have been bit by almost everything in the garden, even scorpions so I know most bites when I get them, the fire ants always form a pustule.

This thing had me stumped.

its usually those biting flies. I used to swell out of my shoes if bitten by a fly. They are such pests outside. If you spray with off they usually stay away. I think they are called sweat flies.

It does look like some sort of fly bite. Deer fly maybe?

But Darling your nails look marvelous!

You are so funny!!! Deer flies are larger than the head of a pin, I am afraid if this thing were any bigger I would drop dead in minutes from the bite :rofl:

We have these small flying black bugs that bite and they are painful bites. We dont know what they are. They arent the no see ums cause thats what I thought at first.

LPPT - it sounds like the no-see-ums to me. The LOVE me as well. The sting feels like fire, then itches horribly. I don't get the welt like you describe, but I understand your pain.

Instead of taking Benedryl orally, try getting the liquid, and when you get a bite, apply it to the skin locally. That may help. (And CVS has a little pen-looking anti-itch spray that works good too.)

Good luck - hopefully they will be hiding away soon!

I looked around and the only thing I could find is the noseeums also known as midges there are many varieties.

I am often bitten by these, my best guess is that the variety that causes my severe reaction is a bit different than the ones that cause my small itchy whelps.

Oh well it has now reached 4 inches in diameter hot to the touch and rising like a hot cake.

I am headed to the pool to try to forget my encounter.

go online line (hard to find brands.com) and look for sting kill. this is a disposable swab that contains benzocaine. it is for pain and itching. i got a bee sting did not have epe-pen and a firefighter gave me one and i never swelled are itch. don't leave home without them. also target has a band you were and it is very good for keeping all insects away. Bug Band is the name of it. hope this helps.