Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
BubbaDoo

The New Movie Studio in Paulding

I would like to know where the tax payers are who will be paying for this since there are so many who are unemployed, homes forclosed and bank owned subdivisions if this goes belly up???? I think there are so many more worthy projects that really need to be addressed than another PORK PROJET that only a handful will use. All I see is a beautiful court house, (chaching), that is not fully utilized, an airport, (chaching), that only a hand full fly in and out of and now a movie studio????? I for one am tired of the CHACHINGS!!!!! I pay my taxes every year and have been and I know I don't to continue to pay for these PORK PROJECTS.

• Like 1

This reminds me of one of the great stories of business.

It involved Fred Smith, the founder of Fedex, the overnight delivery company. He got a "c" or something like that for his business plan detailing the overnight delivery service in his MBA class.

He was going to do the project in Little Rock AR but moved it to Memphis because of the negativity.

Finally, the guy, the story goes, found himself in a real cash-flow crisis - he had something like half the money needed to make payroll and he flew off to Vegas and 'won' the 'missing money' at the tables.

Most folks, upon hearing this, are appalled but such is the nature and life of the typical entrepreneur.

Tommie Graham is, by nature and history, an entrepreneur with the founding of numerous businesses under his belt. Ditto David Austin, David Barnett and, to a lesser degree Todd Pownall (He worked for larger organizations). Larry Rakestraw's work history is heavy on traditional work for wages.

The point being that don't elect risk-takers to office if you don't want risks being taken. Said a bit differently, if you hire former wage slaves to offices like commission, they'll figure ways to pilfer pens and pensions but in situations like the current one, they'll do nothing but lament the situation.

Alternately, you put an entrepreneur in office, they're going to do something; they are going to try and make good things happen. Why?

Because that is just what entrepreneurs do.

pubby

Oorby:

You know it is the US Army corps of engineers that is the key point of delay for the reservoir.

Let me remind you that one of the most descriptive phrases I associate with the army (and most do) is 'hurry up and wait."

The county has and we are.

pubby

I would like to know where the tax payers are who will be paying for this since there are so many who are unemployed, homes forclosed and bank owned subdivisions if this goes belly up???? I think there are so many more worthy projects that really need to be addressed than another PORK PROJET that only a handful will use. All I see is a beautiful court house, (chaching), that is not fully utilized, an airport, (chaching), that only a hand full fly in and out of and now a movie studio????? I for one am tired of the CHACHINGS!!!!! I pay my taxes every year and have been and I know I don't to continue to pay for these PORK PROJECTS.

You may be right but a lot of folks think you're wrong. They think you're wrong because they expect the project to more than pay for its self, bring jobs to the community with a plan "B" being that the county has built a property that will be developed and benefit community regardless.

Plan A is to bring in a facility that will bring production projects to the community providing employment for set builders and others in the building trades on a relatively regular basis. (These are project jobs that pay well, not 30 year jobs putting part A into part B in a widget factory). Still with over 1.4 trillion dollars being spend in Georgia on TV and film production, we have a magnet capable of bringing some of that money into the Paulding economy. (A ten percent share would be over $100,000,000 in activity which is about the dollar value to the county of a 900 home building year.)

Plan B assumes that the State of Georgia raises taxes on the film/video production industry by removing the tax credits available to it. This is possible and would likely result in a reduction in the annual gross of the industry in Georgia.

The good news here is that the first commercial element of the project was actually a property bought out of foreclosure for pennies on the dollar (based on the cost of construction.) Know also that the current construction now costs less per square foot than similar construction done in 2003-2008 because demand for the steel, concrete and other materials and labor are lower now than then. Hence, when the economy does boom, the building/space will have been acquired at a much lower cost.

Now, throw in the low interest loans that the IBA has on the property and you begin to see additional advantage wew have as this building would be poised to provide a great deal for an industry that might invest another $40-60 million in capital equipment in the facility to produce what? Solar panels, a biotech lab (we're not 30 miles from the CDC) ... who knows. But the point is that because of the public participation you can bet that the facility - this big building with clear spans and 35-feet ceilings - will be a marketable asset to draw someone her to provide jobs.

And if they come they and their employees will pay taxes ... so much more in taxes than the $575,000 alleged annual note could be paid by the county till from the windfall of tax the industry brings if need be (and without touching your precious tax money). And that's plan B.

The challenge in all this folks is to get the business; get the jobs here. We've got an opportunity and I credit this commission with understanding we have a window at this time. It would be stupid to let this opportunity pass.

pubby

Fred Smith was an idiot that got lucky,and he wasn't betting tax payer money........and when did the corp of engineers get involved with the reservoir project?

So I guess you call every billionaire an idiot or just this one?

The corps of engineers have by definition a federal role in all rivers and streams in the US. Since the water that would fill the Paulding reservoir would come from the Coosa River - they would pump it from there to fill as normal rain would never fill the lake - the corps of engineers is the federal regulatory group.

Then there is the state EPD and of course the EPA has some jurisdiction ... but waterways are primarily the Corps of Engineers. (They run the damn at Allatoona, BTW, that would have to adjust its flow to take into consideration the draw from river by Paulding.)

pubby

So I guess you call every billionaire an idiot or just this one?

pubby

No,only the ones gambling investors money in lost vegas,,,,and if I was one of the investors....Ol Fred would have toted an arse whoopin

Maybe they are the folks who have been paying taxes in Paulding but like the looks of Cherokee enough to move. Schools are pretty good and you can choose the District you move into. Like me maybe?

• Like 1

No,only the ones gambling investors money in lost vegas,,,,and if I was one of the investors....Ol Fred would have toted an arse whoopin

The reality is that everyone makes mistakes sometimes but only the unlucky get caught. He wasn't caught.

pubby

Here is a nice synopsis on the film industry in Georgia.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-3521

I can confidently say that I know absolutely nothing about this business. I do wish the folks involved in it the best of luck.

Ok there is some valid points in this thread,but the timing issue. And the style of business,entertainment is the first thing to go for a family. So now it is going to be here no matter what. Employment for this line of work will not be local as most will think. There short lived projects,if they can even be scheduled. Sorry but 81 million could have paid alot of people that would have paid taxes. Now it is a giant film project showing the show from no where.:closedeyes:

Ok there is some valid points in this thread,but the timing issue. And the style of business,entertainment is the first thing to go for a family. So now it is going to be here no matter what. Employment for this line of work will not be local as most will think. There short lived projects,if they can even be scheduled. Sorry but 81 million could have paid alot of people that would have paid taxes. Now it is a giant film project showing the show from no where.:closedeyes:

Animal:

The figure is more along the lines of 5-7 million ... not 81 million first.

Second, the bond was authorized by the IBA which couldn't let a bond to provide maintinance and operation funds for county government. Heck, we can't even 'borrow' money from the sales tax (SPLOST) for salaries; only for capital improvements and equipment.

Two different groups, two different budgets, two different purposes and the dollars are in no way interchangeable.

finally, among the projects RoadTown has been involved with include Breaking Bad and In Plain Sight (comparatively low budget cable series). There are obviously numerous of these kinds of projects and the trend for them, from Dexter to Memphis Beat, is for them to be produced at facilities like this in lower-cost locations than Los Angeles. That is the trend and that is television and I suspect in economic times, viewership goes up.

pubby

I really know nothing about this project, and that's one of the things that bothers me. I'm a taxpayer here and I didn't and still don't really know anything about it. Just how much is this facility going to provide? Is it just going to be a big empty building that can be used for something else if it doesn't attract the film industry, like we keep hearing in it's defense, or will it include some of the equipment needed for movie and television production? I have designed and installed video production studios and film, video, and data presentation facilities for industrial, financial, and educational institutions for most of my adult life. Small potatoes compared to what is required for major film or television production, but I know that the building is a minor part of a studio. What about lighting grids, lighting fixtures, lighting controllers, television cameras ($30,000+), camera dollies, booms and jibs, cables, control rooms with monitors, switchers, character/effects/graphics generators, VCRs and digital storage banks, editing suites, microphones, stands and booms, mixing and recording consoles, intercoms, and tons of other necessary equipment. Are we providing any of those, and if we are, what about that stuff if it goes bust, or is it just some buildings? I hope someone can provide some information, or point me in the right direction to find out the details about this project. Is there somewhere I can see the complete proposal or contract, just because I want to, or would I have to be a county offical or lawyer or contractor or something?

I have an idea.

We can have the studio and save money.

There is an existing building that is for rent/sale that would house it perfectly.

The Folklore building.

Why must we keep building new facilities when usable ones are sitting empty?

• Like 1

I really know nothing about this project, and that's one of the things that bothers me. I'm a taxpayer here and I didn't and still don't really know anything about it. Just how much is this facility going to provide? Is it just going to be a big empty building that can be used for something else if it doesn't attract the film industry, like we keep hearing in it's defense, or will it include some of the equipment needed for movie and television production? I have designed and installed video production studios and film, video, and data presentation facilities for industrial, financial, and educational institutions for most of my adult life. Small potatoes compared to what is required for major film or television production, but I know that the building is a minor part of a studio. What about lighting grids, lighting fixtures, lighting controllers, television cameras ($30,000+), camera dollies, booms and jibs, cables, control rooms with monitors, switchers, character/effects/graphics generators, VCRs and digital storage banks, editing suites, microphones, stands and booms, mixing and recording consoles, intercoms, and tons of other necessary equipment. Are we providing any of those, and if we are, what about that stuff if it goes bust, or is it just some buildings? I hope someone can provide some information, or point me in the right direction to find out the details about this project. Is there somewhere I can see the complete proposal or contract, just because I want to, or would I have to be a county offical or lawyer or contractor or something?

First bubbadoo:

the contracts are public record. You'll probably need to do a FOIA request for it but don't expect anything particularly outrageous.

A good part of the equipment used in production is typically rented by the producer for the production. Productions are projects and as such they tend to lease most of what they need and buy only what they can't lease.

I suspect one of the primary competitors for projects will be riverwood studios in Senoia. It would appear from a reading of their services offered, most of the cameras, etc. are available from third party companies in Atlanta (they are).

Equipment / Gear / Software

All production support equipment is available close by in Atlanta. Riverwood has on site equipment such as forklifts, scissorlifts, compressors, etc. Riverwood also has large pumps and dump tanks, including Riverwoods 6 acre lake for use in productions requiring significant water. Riverwood Studios shares common ownership with Full Scale Effects in Hollywood www.fullscaleeffects.com from which any form of special effects equipment is available.

Our studios are just a tad bigger and taller but obviously we don't have 'water' like Riverwood. Still, producers, and for that matter, directors are picky about what kinds of equipment they want to use down to the model of lens.

The studio typically provides the interior sets for a production whether it is a hospital or other place where action takes place. The primary thing provided is soundproof space, a working space, set production and lighting. Cameras, lenses, sound equipment, etc. is all rented for a short period of time.

FYI: one reason the bulk of the equipment is leased for these kinds of productions is that everyone wants the 'absolute latest and greatest' ... particularly as the industry moves more and more toward digital video. The life of some of the equipment is less than two years while other equipment like audio, typically is less than five or six because of its use.

I also suspect that the high-dollar editing studios, etc. may remain in places far removed (LA). Those operations, which are more formally 'post production' ... are a whole other beast. Adding to that is that digital video - even high bandwidth digital video - can be transferred electronically worldwide in moments. Hell, the technology is such that the laptop I'm using to post here could mix the output of four cameras and stream it live anywhere in the world (including chroma key) although it would fall short, in terms of quality of signal, of what is used to produce movies these days.

Still, the niche - which includes a salable tax credit - is a hellava draw for Georgia.

But the bottom line is Hollywood has Georgia on its mind ... That is the lead sentence in this June 2010 article in the LATimes

I think it says it all.

pubby

I have an idea.

We can have the studio and save money.

There is an existing building that is for rent/sale that would house it perfectly.

The Folklore building.

Why must we keep building new facilities when usable ones are sitting empty?

See first and formost that common sense answer doesn't work! Were talking government involvement.