Paulding.com

Pcom's story on the Atlanta Film Studios

Atlanta Movie Studios - Paulding is the model for the future

Pcom interviewed Nick Swerigan and David Austin about the Atlanta Film Studio Paulding and its prospects and we discovered that our entry into this market takes advantage of mistakes in the industry. This is the lead in the news but we wanted to present it as a standalone news story.

What we didn't cover was that the commission is the driving force behind this effort. While it has drawn some criticism, there is little doubt that with it beginning operations in late 2011, whether its promise will be realized ... or not ... will be well known by the Republican primary in July.

Click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS

The fact remains that there is a high possibility that the taxpayer will be paying for a strucutre that will not belong to us once the bonds are paid for. The IBA should be required to first pay for the bonds from any proceeds from the lease and use of the facility. Any shortfall can be garranteed by the taxpayer. Nothing will keep the IBA from not paying and leaving the co-signer (us) on the hook with nothing to show for it.

The fact remains that there is a high possibility that the taxpayer will be paying for a strucutre that will not belong to us once the bonds are paid for. The IBA should be required to first pay for the bonds from any proceeds from the lease and use of the facility. Any shortfall can be garranteed by the taxpayer. Nothing will keep the IBA from not paying and leaving the co-signer (us) on the hook with nothing to show for it.

Exactly. Many bond issuances like this have the property being turned over to the entity leasing the property at the end of lease period, usually the same as when the bond is paid off. The lease payments do not appear to be going towards the repayment of the bond from what Tom Milanese explained at a recent BOC meeting. Additionally, since the property is more than likely titled to the IBA, no property taxes will be paid. So Paulding County tax payers are GIVING these people a movie studio for the hopes of a few full time jobs and bragging rights I urge everyone to google the names of the people involved and see their history for yourselves, especially what was alleged to have happened in New Mexico or Arizona at a studio that is now being auctioned off.

Maybe a stupid question here, but what does the IBA stand for? :unsure: I really haven't been following this, and at this point don't have an opinion on this yet.

And Winston, do you have any links, ref: the New Mexico/Arizona thing you mentioned above?

Hey guys:

I was aware of the lawsuits involving Albuquerque Studios from the first time I heard about this project last fall.

There are a couple of things to take into consideration, first of which is that there are a ton of lawsuits involving the production New Mexico production house and most of them stem from the main developer, Hal Katersky.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/17/business/la-fi-ct-katersky-20100817

(FYI: I found this link at the WSJ link above)

Second of all, LA and its surrounds are a hotbed of litigation.

Finally, when Nick Smerigan and I spoke, he said flatly that the cost of the New Mexico studio at $91 million was key to its financial problems. The challenges of feeding a beast that has the kind of appetite a $91 million dollar studio setup demands involves charging more for the production services rendered.

That the project here is designed to be lean and mean is the key factor. Combine the cost savings from the state in tax credits and Georgia has the opportunity to make things happen.

What folks also don't realize is that the project space is and could be multipurpose. The difference between a big studio space like this - some 40,000 square feet three-and a half-stories tall clear span with a mega-inch steel reinforced pad - and any number of industrial or warehousing activities is nil. The additional cost of outfitting the space for a movie studio in this context is really relatively small. Hence, the IBA, which retains ownership of the facility and has only contracted with RoadTown for its management as a movie and television production facility, has what they call a fall back position.

And, despite the rantings of Tom Milanese, the IBA retains ownership. Are Paulding's taxpayers on the line - Yes, as a last resort but the history of the Paulding County Industrial Building Authority is that they've not defaulted on a single bond they've underwritten since they were created as an independent building authority by the state in 1961.

As was mentioned by some county officials at the groundbreaking, folks like Milanese have to have something to complain about and since the county didn't raise the millage rate this year, they jumped on the Movie Studio.

Pubby:

(I bet the pundit's particularly upset that the county employees returned $2 million unspent from FY 2010-2011. You know, county employees and government being the enemy :) )

pubby

Hey guys:

I was aware of the lawsuits involving Albuquerque Studios from the first time I heard about this project last fall.

There are a couple of things to take into consideration, first of which is that there are a ton of lawsuits involving the production New Mexico production house and most of them stem from the main developer, Hal Katersky.

Finally, when Nick Smerigan and I spoke, he said flatly that the cost of the New Mexico studio at $91 million was key to its financial problems. The challenges of feeding a beast that has the kind of appetite a $91 million dollar studio setup demands involves charging more for the production services rendered.

That the project here is designed to be lean and mean is the key factor. Combine the cost savings from the state in tax credits and Georgia has the opportunity to make things happen.

What folks also don't realize is that the project space is and could be multipurpose. The difference between a big studio space like this - some 40,000 square feet three-and a half-stories tall clear span with a mega-inch steel reinforced pad - and any number of industrial or warehousing activities is nil. The additional cost of outfitting the space for a movie studio in this context is really relatively small. Hence, the IBA, which retains ownership of the facility and has only contracted with RoadTown for its management as a movie and television production facility, has what they call a fall back position.

And, despite the rantings of Tom Milanese, the IBA retains ownership. Are Paulding's taxpayers on the line - Yes, as a last resort but the history of the Paulding County Industrial Building Authority is that they've not defaulted on a single bond they've underwritten since they were created as an independent building authority by the state in 1961.

As was mentioned by some county officials at the groundbreaking, folks like Milanese have to have something to complain about and since the county didn't raise the millage rate this year, they jumped on the Movie Studio.

Pubby:

(I bet the pundit's particularly upset that the county employees returned $2 million unspent from FY 2010-2011. You know, county employees and government being the enemy :) )

pubby

A few tidbits for you Pubby:

- Sec 6.4 of the Intergovernmental Contract between the IBA and the County: "The Authority may sell, lease, or give away all or a portion of the 2011B Projects [studio/hangers]"

- Fall back position? I've seen the number 80,000 as the total sq ft space of the old building plus the new construction. The annual payment for the 20 years bonds will be around $575k. Does anyone know how much similar warehouse space is leasing for in metro Atlanta? Plus we would have operating expenses on top of that $575k as landlord.

- As for the $2 million of surplus for the 2011 fiscal year:

1) The 2011 Budgeted Expenses were $51,426,561

2) The 2011 Actual Expenses were $55,624,119

3) That's 4 million over budget

Good Day :)

Maybe a stupid question here, but what does the IBA stand for? :unsure: I really haven't been following this, and at this point don't have an opinion on this yet.

And Winston, do you have any links, ref: the New Mexico/Arizona thing you mentioned above?

IBA - Industrial Building Authority

charged with trying to bring industry to Paulding - in this case possibly on the backs of the taxpayer

Edited by FreeBird

This is the way I see it, our local gov. could have raised our taxes and made the decision to hire more people in every gov agency in the county. They could have also gone on a shopping spree for equipment.

You would not have had a vote on any of it. You could have voted them out later, but you the taxpayer would have been on the hook for it because we know gov. does not shrink.

I applaud the efforts to sustain and increase our tax base base through sustainable private commercial endeavors.

I would have had real issues with a sports stadium or even convention center at this stage of the game, it would have been the horse before the cart so to speak.

8 million might seem a lot to the average person, but it is more than a bargain in the the real world of industrial development.

Many times that was spent residential development not just here but all over Georgia.

When I look back at the millions that was spent on infrastructure for poverty row known as hwy 278 I cringe.

The retail corridor continues to grow and that is fine, but it will not sustain this county over the long haul.

The Curruth PKWY is development toward living wage jobs that will sustain the county far into the future.

It is easy to criticize especially when we look back and see that local Gov. placed all the eggs in 1 basket and we have suffered for it.

The fact is that residential development is dead for at least 10 years, these people that made a living need real jobs NOW.

Our retail need people with real jobs and money to keep their doors open.

Do you think the business owners in our community don't approve of the direction the IBA is going, think again.

Most of the naysayers are politically motivated, the only administration they will get behind is the one that they are part of or one that is directly putting money in their pocket.

The people of this county want living wage jobs, those that work outside the county want services that only living wage jobs will pay for.

All I can say is don't be part of the problem but part of the solution.

You all have a phone, pick it up talk to The folks on the IBA, the Commissioners.

their numbers are listed along with their email.

Pubby do you build the airport and "they will come" build a movie studio and " they will come" what a laughing stock this grouped is.

Hell yeah:

If nobody ever built anything, no one would come :)

Lets see, there wouldn't be a Paulding.com, a Dallas, an Atlanta, a Georgia, a United States, Canada, Mexico or even Cuba or Dominican Republic. (See the guy who built the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria didn't do it so Chris Columbus didn't come.)

Yep, in a world like that with men surrounded by women who did nothing but laugh ... well they didn't come and the species when extinct.

pubby

A few tidbits for you Pubby:

- Sec 6.4 of the Intergovernmental Contract between the IBA and the County: "The Authority may sell, lease, or give away all or a portion of the 2011B Projects [studio/hangers]"

- Fall back position? I've seen the number 80,000 as the total sq ft space of the old building plus the new construction. The annual payment for the 20 years bonds will be around $575k. Does anyone know how much similar warehouse space is leasing for in metro Atlanta? Plus we would have operating expenses on top of that $575k as landlord.

- As for the $2 million of surplus for the 2011 fiscal year:

1) The 2011 Budgeted Expenses were $51,426,561

2) The 2011 Actual Expenses were $55,624,119

3) That's 4 million over budget

Good Day :)

Well, I can either take your statement as gospel or I can take Ms. Pollard ... I have to say I believe her and not just because she is a lot easier to look at than you :)

pubby

Just let me know when they are ready for my close up. biggrin.gif

I understand peoples concerns about use of tax payers funds for this. I also understand the that if it does work then there is money to be made for county. Im kind of used to it after living in Southern California for 24 years. I got used to seeing film crews everywhere. They were always filming scenes for CSI Miami on our street overlooking the docks. The guy next door made a cool 25k for 3 days of filing in his front room for a Dexter episode. I even made a couple hundred dollars once as an extra sitting under an umbrella overlooking the ocean.

Hey Tom if you want to pick a fight with the commissioners in order to improve the viewer ship on your web site where you can compete with pubby then forget about the movie deal it has a chance to be profitable.

The Surepip law suit being delayed by the Commissioners is nothing but a bottomless pit.That should be what the AFP and you should be harping about?

PS how are your PAlS Jerry and Virgina doing these days?

Well, I can either take your statement as gospel or I can take Ms. Pollard ... I have to say I believe her and not just because she is a lot easier to look at than you :)

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kblxroaDIuQ?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pubby

I'm going by the most recent budget revision Tabitha put out on 8/4/11 - http://paulding.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=893 ; I'll wait on her final numbers but either way, the original budget that was passed for the 2011 fiscal year (see page 3) was 51.4 million and she had the actual expenses on page 2 estimated to come in at 55.6 million. Even if it comes in at 2 million less, that would still put the actual expenses for 2011 at 53.6 million versus an original budget of 51.4 million. In essence, instead of being 4 million over budget, the county will be 2 million over budget for 2011. Good news indeed but hardly justifies your "county employees returned $2 million unspent" comment.

Hey Tom if you want to pick a fight with the commissioners in order to improve the viewer ship on your web site where you can compete with pubby then forget about the movie deal it has a chance to be profitable.

The Surepip law suit being delayed by the Commissioners is nothing but a bottomless pit.That should be what the AFP and you should be harping about?

PS how are your PAlS Jerry and Virgina doing these days?

Just an FYI Whitey, and others......

I don't have all the details yet, but for what it is worth, I learned today the county has filed additional appeals and motions further delaying our cases.

$1Million+ and growing, and they just keep paying their attorneys more and more trying to break us before we can get inside the courtroom. The Judge has ruled in the Anit-Slapp, and they have now appealed that to the Appelate State courts and have now filed additional motions delaying the case itself, while continuing to refuse to sit down and seriously negotiate anything with us.

But hey, Tabitha has let them know they have some extra cash, so I guess they are going to spend it fighting us instead of doing the right thing and settling.

For round figures, they have now spent more than 10 times to fight us, then we would have taken for a settlement 5 years ago. Make great sense doesn't it ?

If you consider that the law firm they are paying has contributed 20% or more back to the local politicos, I guess it makes Perfect Sense....to them.

Hey guys:

Pubby:

pubby

Tom tells his side of the story to CBS Atlanta, here is the interview with Tommy Graham

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/15257302/movie-studio-construction-could-be-horror-for-taxpayers?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=6147636

I hope it goes well with Paulding plans....and hope it create jobs right now....cause right now....we are in need of a right now decision......but if it fails.....I suppose we all are gonna be standing there like Tommy Graham with our mouth open wide with no words coming out......

I hope it goes well with Paulding plans....and hope it create jobs right now....cause right now....we are in need of a right now decision......but if it fails.....I suppose we all are gonna be standing there like Tommy Graham with our mouth open wide with no words coming out......

I have to say the person editing the video had to the choice to cut that video exactly where they did.

He is our commissioner the effort to embarrass him in that way did not impress me one single bit.

This is not the first time I have seen some folks trying to embarrass Tommy Graham.

Obviously some folks have something against him.

Either he has done something blatantly wrong to cause this or everything he does is considered wrong by some.

I have to say the person editing the video had to the choice to cut that video exactly where they did.

He is our commissioner the effort to embarrass him in that way did not impress me one single bit.

This is not the first time I have seen some folks trying to embarrass Tommy Graham.

Obviously some folks have something against him.

Either he has done something blatantly wrong to cause this or everything he does is considered wrong by some.

I certainly didn't make that statement to embarrass Tommy or to point him out.....The man does that alot....must be a "tick" he has.....but....I really truly hope and pray that this works out for all of our sake........

I certainly didn't make that statement to embarrass Tommy or to point him out.....The man does that alot....must be a "tick" he has.....but....I really truly hope and pray that this works out for all of our sake........

Sorry I didn't mean to make that personal towards you, anyone watching the video can see that when Tommy opened his mouth and took in a breath to say the next sentence the video was cut. I am sure the perspective was changed by the following remarks that were cut, or there would have been no need to cut there.

Sorry I didn't mean to make that personal towards you, anyone watching the video can see that when Tommy opened his mouth and took in a breath to say the next sentence the video was cut. I am sure the perspective was changed by the following remarks that were cut, or there would have been no need to cut there.

No problem....I didn't take it personal toward me.....I just didn't want to be misunderstood... :drinks: I was talking about the mouth open part before the breath taking part.......LOL

All I can say is read the bond documents... taxpayers were misled by our elected officials as to who would be paying for these bonds. I hope the studio does well but those in power that misled taxpayers should be voted out.

I am not really good at reading legal documents, do they say that the profits from the studio can be not be use to pay for the bonds, that they can only be paid by county taxes?

Not being a smart A$$ here, I am asking an honest question.

I am not really good at reading legal documents, do they say that the profits from the studio can be not be use to pay for the bonds, that they can only be paid by county taxes?

Not being a smart A$$ here, I am asking an honest question.

4/26/11 IBA Supplemental Resolution with Inter gov Contract file with The Intergovernmental Agreement between IBA and County states ---

Page 68 (14 Intergov Agreement)- county pays for operating, maintaining and repairing, page 68 also says that the county can but is not required to use the proceeds to pay off bonds. Look at the wording carefully,-- for any lawful purpose... It's not required!! They could use the proceeds for anything and could possibly up the millage rate, or suck it out of general fund and lay people off, cut services, etc., to pay the bond payments

However, the big issue is that, tax payers are on the hook and will ultimately pay for the bonds if the profits are not there.

Page 69 (15)- County can give, sell or lease property. How about that. The county can give this studio away if it wishes!!!! How about that???

Page 56(2)- County gives money to authority pay pay bonds, can levy an ad valorem property tax to repay bonds not to exceed one mill, however on page 60 (6) they are in essence saying they don't have to now (but always can). Money from the general fund may also be used in the repayment of these bonds.

As taxpayers, we didn't have the opportunity to vote on whether take on the potential additional tax on this risk laden endeavor. I suppose it ultimately comes down to do you trust your elected officials to do the right things and exercise good judgement for the benefit of ALL citizens of Paulding County. My Vote is Neah!

4/26/11 IBA Supplemental Resolution with Inter gov Contract file with The Intergovernmental Agreement between IBA and County states ---

Page 68 (14 Intergov Agreement)- county pays for operating, maintaining and repairing, page 68 also says that the county can but is not required to use the proceeds to pay off bonds. Look at the wording carefully,-- for any lawful purpose... It's not required!! They could use the proceeds for anything and could possibly up the millage rate, or suck it out of general fund and lay people off, cut services, etc., to pay the bond payments

However, the big issue is that, tax payers are on the hook and will ultimately pay for the bonds if the profits are not there.

Page 69 (15)- County can give, sell or lease property. How about that. The county can give this studio away if it wishes!!!! How about that???

Page 56(2)- County gives money to authority pay pay bonds, can levy an ad valorem property tax to repay bonds not to exceed one mill, however on page 60 (6) they are in essence saying they don't have to now (but always can). Money from the general fund may also be used in the repayment of these bonds.

As taxpayers, we didn't have the opportunity to vote on whether take on the potential additional tax on this risk laden endeavor. I suppose it ultimately comes down to do you trust your elected officials to do the right things and exercise good judgement for the benefit of ALL citizens of Paulding County. My Vote is Neah!

Winston, thanks for taking the time to actually read the documents. One slight correction though: you're citing the language for the Series 2011A Projects which is the 1.2mil for the water towers out by the airport. Look on page 71 for the same type of language pertaining to the Series 2011B Projects which is the 7.2mil for the film studio and the hangers at the airport. Those assets plus all revenues belong to the IBA, not the taxpayers, and can be sold and done with as the IBA pleases.

The taxpayers and the IBA are not co-signers on this deal. The taxpayer is 100% contractually obligated for the debt and the IBA is 100% voluntarily obligated for the debt. The contract stinks, was rushed through, and I doubt the commissioners had all the documents in time to carefully review them before voting. I applaud Todd Pownall for trying to table the vote and for standing up for the taxpayers of the county. Mr. Pownall has publicly stated that even knowing all that he knows now about the bond deal he would still vote no again.

Edited by Reagan Republican

Hell yeah:

If nobody ever built anything, no one would come :)

Lets see, there wouldn't be a Paulding.com, a Dallas, an Atlanta, a Georgia, a United States, Canada, Mexico or even Cuba or Dominican Republic. (See the guy who built the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria didn't do it so Chris Columbus didn't come.)

Yep, in a world like that with men surrounded by women who did nothing but laugh ... well they didn't come and the species when extinct.

pubby

But most of those were built with private money, not taxpayer money. If P.com fails, you are on the hook. If it makes money, you get the rewards. Its much different when all of this is being built with taxpayer money and someone else gets the rewards, IF there are ANY. Either way, the taxpayer is on the hook.

• Like 2

Winston, thanks for taking the time to actually read the documents. One slight correction though: you're citing the language for the Series 2011A Projects which is the 1.2mil for the water towers out by the airport. Look on page 71 for the same type of language pertaining to the Series 2011B Projects which is the 7.2mil for the film studio and the hangers at the airport. Those assets plus all revenues belong to the IBA, not the taxpayers, and can be sold and done with as the IBA pleases.

The taxpayers and the IBA are not co-signers on this deal. The taxpayer is 100% contractually obligated for the debt and the IBA is 100% voluntarily obligated for the debt. The contract stinks, was rushed through, and I doubt the commissioners had all the documents in time to carefully review them before voting. I applaud Todd Pownall for trying to table the vote and for standing up for the taxpayers of the county. Mr. Pownall has publicly stated that even knowing all that he knows now about the bond deal he would still vote no again.

Thanks for clarifying. Both deals are a potential raw deal for taxpayers.

But most of those were built with private money, not taxpayer money. If P.com fails, you are on the hook. If it makes money, you get the rewards. Its much different when all of this is being built with taxpayer money and someone else gets the rewards, IF there are ANY. Either way, the taxpayer is on the hook.

If you check your history books, Columbus voyage was a venture of the government of Spain.

The railroads were a venture of the United States government which paid for expansion of rail in large part by granting the railroads lands adjacent to the rail lines. The railroads set up cities using these lands that were granted. Ditto the Erie Canal which opened areas adjacent to the Great Lakes by linking Lake Erie to the Hudson River and assured New York's place as a center of trade and export.

You do know that ventures such as the original electric plant in Dallas was a public enterprise entered into by community leaders back in the early part of the 20th century. Consider the public financing components of Turner Stadium. If the Braves moved back to Milwaukee, the public would be on the hook for the stadium, you know.

Winston and Tom:

I understand you guys are conservatives of the Grover Norquist kind - you won't be happy until government has been dragged to the bathroom and drowned. Similarly, the very existence of the Paulding County Industrial Building Authority, created by state law in 1961, is against every fiber of your political soul. I suspect your goal in this effort is to have it taken to the bathtub and drowned.

Of course we also know there are other authorities out there that allow the public to shape their future for the betterment of all.

I know you're just as opposed to the Dallas Housing Authority with its public housing projects in the city. I'm sure you're against the Paulding County Water and Sewer Authority, which created and I believe still owns the water lines administered by the Water Dept. The hospital authority, which leases the hospital to WellStar, but still holds not only the title but the certificate of need for the health services in Paulding, recently put the county taxpayer on the line (with the assent of the commission) for somewhere between $30-40 million of the over $100,000,000 new Paulding Hospital project.

We taxpayers owe the same due to the bond holders of those developments, you do know, but not so much as a peep.

The purpose of the IBA is to develop the local economy and make it more vital and vibrant. Its sole purpose is to bring jobs to the county. It is an expression of the community's freedom and will to progress.

While I know you're proud - elated - to stand in front of the movie studio and ridicule that effort, I'm curious why you weren't standing in front of the hospital two or three months ago with the commission voted to back those bonds? Or when they backed the bonds for the reconstruction of the Coppermine Sewer treatment facility or any number of other projects.

I know your ideology is that the government should not have the power to invest in infrastructure or jobs or enterprise as a matter of faith that private capital will provide the enhancements the public wants and needs.

But most citizens recognize the wisdom of government having these powers because it gives them the freedom to act as a group without dependence on the permission of a person or individual with capital.

Anyone with any sense of history knows that during the early part of the 20th century, to bring electric power to any community other than the largest cities, required the creation of public utilities owned by the cities and towns. To obtain electricity, water systems or sewerage in a timely manner, communities like Dallas literally had to underwrite the investment and create the enterprise.

Private capital - maybe it was smarter then - preferred the method of public financing made possible by these public authorities. They could loan their money for these efforts - building electric plants and distribution systems or water and sewer systems and be certain of the payback on attractive - often tax-free terms - with their capital investment secured by the taxing authority of the city or county.

Smart money thought it was a good idea and would buy the bonds, encouraging the public authorities to make progressive investments in infrastructure and even jobs.

Regardless, your ideology rejects such community-based actions and that makes your belief in what government should and should not do and mine vision vastly different.

I see the projects from the original electrification of Dallas and Paulding County to the building of the first hospital and the new one slated for construction in 2014 as well as the movie venture are all proper acts by the government which is the expression of the public will to make things better.

Your vision is and was violated with each and every one of those publicly financed projects, I know.

But frankly, I'd rather have electricity, running water and flush toilets and the prospect of movie, television and other production-type jobs than no jobs at all.

Philosophically, had we toed the line your philosophy demands, I sense we'd still be sitting in a damp cave waiting on some one with bags of money to come make our lives better by investing in my community.

The idea that we have to wait for an individual to decide they want to do that conflicts with my concept of a communities self-determination or freedom.

pubby

As far as it being a potential raw deal for taxpayers ... every deal could be a raw deal for taxpayers. As stated above, the Braves could return to Milwaukee; back in 1920 when Dallas built its electric generating system, the residents could have decided they didn't want that new-fangled stuff - electricity could kill you. There are many projects - the Kia plant is one - that might become a white elephant and close. Those kinds of projects are risky but the alternative in a competitive world is that someone is going to get those jobs. The cost of acquiring those investments is always a risk but the other side of the coin is that if you don't take those risks, your community will die as folks leave it for jobs elsewhere.

I was unaware of the bond issuance for the hospital. Thanks for letting me know and other taxpayers know that we may be on the hook for these bonds too. It seems every corporation wants in on the privatizing profits/sticking tax payers with the loss racket these days...

and don't get me started on non profit/ not for profit hospitals...

If you check your history books, Columbus voyage was a venture of the government of Spain.

The railroads were a venture of the United States government which paid for expansion of rail in large part by granting the railroads lands adjacent to the rail lines. The railroads set up cities using these lands that were granted. Ditto the Erie Canal which opened areas adjacent to the Great Lakes by linking Lake Erie to the Hudson River and assured New York's place as a center of trade and export.

You do know that ventures such as the original electric plant in Dallas was a public enterprise entered into by community leaders back in the early part of the 20th century. Consider the public financing components of Turner Stadium. If the Braves moved back to Milwaukee, the public would be on the hook for the stadium, you know.

Winston and Tom:

I understand you guys are conservatives of the Grover Norquist kind - you won't be happy until government has been dragged to the bathroom and drowned. Similarly, the very existence of the Paulding County Industrial Building Authority, created by state law in 1961, is against every fiber of your political soul. I suspect your goal in this effort is to have it taken to the bathtub and drowned.

Of course we also know there are other authorities out there that allow the public to shape their future for the betterment of all.

I know you're just as opposed to the Dallas Housing Authority with its public housing projects in the city. I'm sure you're against the Paulding County Water and Sewer Authority, which created and I believe still owns the water lines administered by the Water Dept. The hospital authority, which leases the hospital to WellStar, but still holds not only the title but the certificate of need for the health services in Paulding, recently put the county taxpayer on the line (with the assent of the commission) for somewhere between $30-40 million of the over $100,000,000 new Paulding Hospital project.

We taxpayers owe the same due to the bond holders of those developments, you do know, but not so much as a peep.

The purpose of the IBA is to develop the local economy and make it more vital and vibrant. Its sole purpose is to bring jobs to the county. It is an expression of the community's freedom and will to progress.

While I know you're proud - elated - to stand in front of the movie studio and ridicule that effort, I'm curious why you weren't standing in front of the hospital two or three months ago with the commission voted to back those bonds? Or when they backed the bonds for the reconstruction of the Coppermine Sewer treatment facility or any number of other projects.

I know your ideology is that the government should not have the power to invest in infrastructure or jobs or enterprise as a matter of faith that private capital will provide the enhancements the public wants and needs.

But most citizens recognize the wisdom of government having these powers because it gives them the freedom to act as a group without dependence on the permission of a person or individual with capital.

Anyone with any sense of history knows that during the early part of the 20th century, to bring electric power to any community other than the largest cities, required the creation of public utilities owned by the cities and towns. To obtain electricity, water systems or sewerage in a timely manner, communities like Dallas literally had to underwrite the investment and create the enterprise.

Private capital - maybe it was smarter then - preferred the method of public financing made possible by these public authorities. They could loan their money for these efforts - building electric plants and distribution systems or water and sewer systems and be certain of the payback on attractive - often tax-free terms - with their capital investment secured by the taxing authority of the city or county.

Smart money thought it was a good idea and would buy the bonds, encouraging the public authorities to make progressive investments in infrastructure and even jobs.

Regardless, your ideology rejects such community-based actions and that makes your belief in what government should and should not do and mine vision vastly different.

I see the projects from the original electrification of Dallas and Paulding County to the building of the first hospital and the new one slated for construction in 2014 as well as the movie venture are all proper acts by the government which is the expression of the public will to make things better.

Your vision is and was violated with each and every one of those publicly financed projects, I know.

But frankly, I'd rather have electricity, running water and flush toilets and the prospect of movie, television and other production-type jobs than no jobs at all.

Philosophically, had we toed the line your philosophy demands, I sense we'd still be sitting in a damp cave waiting on some one with bags of money to come make our lives better by investing in my community.

The idea that we have to wait for an individual to decide they want to do that conflicts with my concept of a communities self-determination or freedom.

pubby

As far as it being a potential raw deal for taxpayers ... every deal could be a raw deal for taxpayers. As stated above, the Braves could return to Milwaukee; back in 1920 when Dallas built its electric generating system, the residents could have decided they didn't want that new-fangled stuff - electricity could kill you. There are many projects - the Kia plant is one - that might become a white elephant and close. Those kinds of projects are risky but the alternative in a competitive world is that someone is going to get those jobs. The cost of acquiring those investments is always a risk but the other side of the coin is that if you don't take those risks, your community will die as folks leave it for jobs elsewhere.

I think going back to Isabella and Ferdinand is a bit of a stretch with them being monarchs, not answering to tax payers, and the money being more of their own money than "government" money as with our government...but ok, there is an argument to be made that some of our former county officials acted in a similar fashion.

Most of the other examples you listed above are infrastructure that benefits most or all of the citizens like roads. They are not risky projects. Electricity and city water/sewer were not pioneered by Dallas, and it was not much of a risk involved in investing in those things.

As far as the stadium goes, is the Atlanta/Fulton county govt really an example we want to follow??????? hmmm

I understand that a government needs to build some infrastructure, but I'm not sure that airport and this studio are truly infrastructure that will benefit most of the citizens of this county. There is a huge question mark about the planned purpose of that airport since its not located close to business or an interstate and we have few private planes in the county. It seems like the studio is a hail mary effort to find business for the airport. What is the next step???? Will the county fund its own movie theaters to show movies to make the studio successful? Maybe they should take a risk on bringing back drive-ins????

I hope the airport and studio are both successful and I will gladly admit that I'm wrong. I just don't see it happening right now.

I know sometimes these things seem too big or not a quick pay off etc but I feel we have an obligation to those generations coming after us. There is an old poem "The Bridge Builder", to sum it up and old man crosses a deep ravine. He then decides on this path traveled by few he would build a bridge. A man comes along and asks the old man why he built a bridge when he already crossed. The old man explains that this bridge will make it easier for many to come and they can then accomplish more.

Years ago when Pubby first started this site there was always talk of the county doing nothing to bring jobs. Even if in the end it is a looser I would rather they try something then just build more houses. I wish someone thought of ideas like this 20 years ago, I may not be commuting to Atlanta. Bruce

...snip...

I hope the airport and studio are both successful and I will gladly admit that I'm wrong. I just don't see it happening right now.

My gut is that is all the folks who made the decision to move forward are asking ... is give it a chance. They did enough due diligence in terms of research to change their normal skepticism and make them proponents and advocates.

I think those who are vocal critics find joy in the fact that a 'movie studio' in Paulding just on its face doesn't seem particularly plausible, largely because 'there ain't never been one beefore ... and what does these folks think they is, Hollywood moguls?"

It is just easy to ridicule from the point of view of conventional wisdom.

But hey, we don't know that these guys (RoadTown Enterprises) don't have a deal with a major studio to arrange the whole thing, get it built and someone like Sony, Fox or MGM won't come in and buy the whole thing, lock stock and barrel. Stranger things have happened.

The point is that conservative folks like David Austin and Tommie Graham don't do silly things like get stars in their eyes because someone from LA dropped by with a line.

What we do know is that Georgia and Atlanta has one of the better established film/video production communities in the nation. Folks live here actually make a living in this business including the unit production manager for A Joyful Noise in Dallas last year (Almost all the staff doing the shooting were Georgia residents.)

We also know that Paulding is just close enough that producers won't have to pay travel and travel time to folks getting jobs here from other parts of Atlanta, which they would, for instance, have to do if the facility were located in Rome.

Still Austin and Graham, who are taking the point on this promoting this projecting and paving its way know that voters can be unforgiving if, in the final analysis, this project was pure folly.

The good news is that we're going to know the answer of whether it is will fulfill its promise by April 2012 ... or not. Yes, by April 1, 2012 we'll all know. Until then, lets knock on some holly wood for luck.

pubby

I know sometimes these things seem too big or not a quick pay off etc but I feel we have an obligation to those generations coming after us. There is an old poem "The Bridge Builder", to sum it up and old man crosses a deep ravine. He then decides on this path traveled by few he would build a bridge. A man comes along and asks the old man why he built a bridge when he already crossed. The old man explains that this bridge will make it easier for many to come and they can then accomplish more.

Years ago when Pubby first started this site there was always talk of the county doing nothing to bring jobs. Even if in the end it is a looser I would rather they try something then just build more houses. I wish someone thought of ideas like this 20 years ago, I may not be commuting to Atlanta. Bruce

You're right about that Bruce. While I suspect if this is a flop, a couple of commissioners may have some opposition come July 2012, I don't think we should be overly critical of their efforts. I mean I wouldn't want an ostrich, his or her head permanently buried in sand, in office.

pubby

My gut is that is all the folks who made the decision to move forward are asking ... is give it a chance. They did enough due diligence in terms of research to change their normal skepticism and make them proponents and advocates.

I think those who are vocal critics find joy in the fact that a 'movie studio' in Paulding just on its face doesn't seem particularly plausible, largely because 'there ain't never been one beefore ... and what does these folks think they is, Hollywood moguls?"

It is just easy to ridicule from the point of view of conventional wisdom.

But hey, we don't know that these guys (RoadTown Enterprises) don't have a deal with a major studio to arrange the whole thing, get it built and someone like Sony, Fox or MGM won't come in and buy the whole thing, lock stock and barrel. Stranger things have happened.

The point is that conservative folks like David Austin and Tommie Graham don't do silly things like get stars in their eyes because someone from LA dropped by with a line.

What we do know is that Georgia and Atlanta has one of the better established film/video production communities in the nation. Folks live here actually make a living in this business including the unit production manager for A Joyful Noise in Dallas last year (Almost all the staff doing the shooting were Georgia residents.)

We also know that Paulding is just close enough that producers won't have to pay travel and travel time to folks getting jobs here from other parts of Atlanta, which they would, for instance, have to do if the facility were located in Rome.

Still Austin and Graham, who are taking the point on this promoting this projecting and paving its way know that voters can be unforgiving if, in the final analysis, this project was pure folly.

The good news is that we're going to know the answer of whether it is will fulfill its promise by April 2012 ... or not. Yes, by April 1, 2012 we'll all know. Until then, lets knock on some holly wood for luck.

pubby

You're right about that Bruce. While I suspect if this is a flop, a couple of commissioners may have some opposition come July 2012, I don't think we should be overly critical of their efforts. I mean I wouldn't want an ostrich, his or her head permanently buried in sand, in office.

pubby

I have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with a movie studio being built in this county. I have a problem with taxpayer money being used to do it.

• Like 1