Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Jsewell

Got a call from the owner of my old trash company

So I had been with a local trash company called Davis Disposal for several years and had good service. :wub: Happy Happy. :good: Loved the local owners –they were easy to work with.

They were purchased – no heads up to the customer.

The owner called me today because they are getting charge backs when people drop the new company. However if it is because of the bad service the new owners are providing they are not allowed to charge back to Davis. So she has been researching the reasons why so many people have left.

She apologized that the customers were not told of the change, but the terms of the sale prevented it. She also apologized that without new contact numbers being given to customers the new company stopped paying the phone bill so the local line did not work when customers had service problems. They are still fighting with them about that and how that caused customers to cancel … and then the new company charged Davis back for the cancelled customers.

I paid for my trash services 6 months at a time. I had just paid the 6 months to “Davis” when after the fact we get a letter to state Davis has been sold and the new company would be providing service. I have heard stories about neighbors not being able to get their money back when they cancelled, so I stuck it out since I was paid through July 31st.

So I fired them July 30th. They tried to get me to pay $20.00 to cancel. I told them "I had paid Davis before I knew you had bought them, I am under no contract to you." Then she set up a date to pick up the old can! :D

I felt like NEWS did the same thing to their customers. And, I fired the new company as well.

She said things are so competitive between American and Waist Industries it is hard for the smaller companies. It sounded like that is why they sell out to the big guys.

Edited by Far West

A certain "Waste Industry" is known for this nationwide. They will get rid of their competition by underpricing the service to put the competition out of business and them offering them pennies on the dollar buy outs. Once the competition has been put out of business, WI then raises the price drastically on the strength of their monopoly. I'll haul it to the dump myself before I pay them one dime.

A certain "Waste Industry" is known for this nationwide. They will get rid of their competition by underpricing the service to put the competition out of business and them offering them pennies on the dollar buy outs. Once the competition has been put out of business, WI then raises the price drastically on the strength of their monopoly. I'll haul it to the dump myself before I pay them one dime.

Yea, she said WI will put on fuel surcharges and other fees. Be careful of the low intro price and 1 year contract.

She also said right now the two are pushing the price down trying to outdo each other so for the short term prices are low.

For now it will keep new competition out since they cannot offer service for $9.99 a month.

I felt like NEWS did the same thing to their customers. And, I fired the new company as well.

I did too. I pay seven dollars a month more then the price WI and A offered me. But I pay it to local owners, with local employees. I felt like it was the right thing to do. And with the gas prices and dump fees, I don't mind paying a few dollars more to keep my neighbors in business.

When I fired the company from Virgina (A), I told them why. They gave me a line about the $20 fee and I shot it down. Never heard back, and love my new company!! (J.T.)

We've had both W and A...I greatly prefer A.

I'm back with W. A wouldn't do recycling pick up anymore and they were more expensive than W with recycling pick up. I prefer the small companies. But, I'm also not going to spend ALOT more money either.

Be careful of the low intro price and 1 year contract.

I have WI and pay by the year. I have never gotten a bill from them during the year I purchased. This year we did the year contract again, but with two trash cans and it was the same single yearly payment with nothing else. They have always picked up trash and never complained about what I put in it. I usually prefer a local company, but after getting burned twice I will be sticking with WI unless their service changes.

I did too. I pay seven dollars a month more then the price WI and A offered me. But I pay it to local owners, with local employees. I felt like it was the right thing to do. And with the gas prices and dump fees, I don't mind paying a few dollars more to keep my neighbors in business.

When I fired the company from Virgina (A), I told them why. They gave me a line about the $20 fee and I shot it down. Never heard back, and love my new company!! (J.T.)

I've not heard about a $20 fee. But, I cancelled them over a month ago and they've never come to pick up their cans. So, .... I'm not bothering to call them again either.

Yea, she said WI will put on fuel surcharges and other fees. Be careful of the low intro price and 1 year contract.

She also said right now the two are pushing the price down trying to outdo each other so for the short term prices are low.

For now it will keep new competition out since they cannot offer service for $9.99 a month.

Right now we have PWR, and I will stick with them until they fold up their tent. Good service is worth $15 per month with no contract. If the little guys get put out of business, you can bet on $20-25 per month and annual contracts from the bullies within a few months.

I've not heard about a $20 fee. But, I cancelled them over a month ago and they've never come to pick up their cans. So, .... I'm not bothering to call them again either.

They picked mine up the following week.

I was also wondering if the big companies kept their promise to keep the local employees from the companies that were bought out. They did mention it in the buyout letter (A) sent me, but I've noticed that though the truck comes the same day, there seems to be new faces. Just hoping people kept their jobs.

I have WI and pay by the year. I have never gotten a bill from them during the year I purchased. This year we did the year contract again, but with two trash cans and it was the same single yearly payment with nothing else. They have always picked up trash and never complained about what I put in it. I usually prefer a local company, but after getting burned twice I will be sticking with WI unless their service changes.

:good:

They bought out Sanitec who we had started with back in 1998, so we used WI for a short time.

WI was fine since so many in my subdivision were using them, but they changed us to Wednesdays from Monday. I just like my stinky weekend trash gone on Monday.

When I saw Davis picked up my subdivision on Monday I changed. Several friends from church used Davis and had only good to say about them. I also liked the fact that both Sanitec and Davis were local businesses. :pardon:

They picked mine up the following week.

I was also wondering if the big companies kept their promise to keep the local employees from the companies that were bought out. They did mention it in the buyout letter (A) sent me, but I've noticed that though the truck comes the same day, there seems to be new faces. Just hoping people kept their jobs.

I don't know. I asked her if they were still agents since she was calling me... that is when she explained she was following up about service cancellations. They did not work for A.

I did not think to ask if her old crew was still working. It seemed like when we had the Monday crew things were fine… once they changed us to Fridays it was like that crew worked every other week or could not remember our street… so I knew it was different guys.

I'm back with W. A wouldn't do recycling pick up anymore and they were more expensive than W with recycling pick up. I prefer the small companies. But, I'm also not going to spend ALOT more money either.

A picks up our recycling; even gave us a can for it. Where do you live? I'm in NE Paulding. Maybe they don't do the whole county for recycling? I'm happy with them SO FAR. Much better than W. We'll see if that lasts.

A picks up our recycling; even gave us a can for it. Where do you live? I'm in NE Paulding. Maybe they don't do the whole county for recycling? I'm happy with them SO FAR. Much better than W. We'll see if that lasts.

I live in SW Paulding. NEWS gave us two bins. It was great. When I called after the third week of overflowing recycling bins, I was told that they don't do recycling. Sorry. So, I cancelled them and called Waste Industries. I hated to do that, but it's $10 a quarter than American and they gave me a giant blue rolling can to put our recycling in. Now we recycle alot more.

I live in SW Paulding. NEWS gave us two bins. It was great. When I called after the third week of overflowing recycling bins, I was told that they don't do recycling. Sorry. So, I cancelled them and called Waste Industries. I hated to do that, but it's $10 a quarter than American and they gave me a giant blue rolling can to put our recycling in. Now we recycle alot more.

Thank you GTH, I know about the issues folks have with WI, this company has invested a lot in recycling. It was the right thing to do,as is recycling.

Nobody wanted to make the investment, I know I searched for years when I first moved here. I feel they deserve to be profitable, they have to make back their investment on transfer stations and extra cans.

Recycling is more important for some than others, just understand that it does cost a company more to offer it.

I was shocked to hear you don't have to sort yourself, I think that is a great service.

We have had 3 different trash companies get bought out since we've lived here. We had W, at one point. Now we ended with A .. whether we like it or not. It was bumpy at first, but things have ironed out. They do recycling for us. They pick it up weekly. We live in the Dallas Nebo area. I would prefer to give my money to local business. However, it just seems futile :(

Thank you GTH, I know about the issues folks have with WI, this company has invested a lot in recycling. It was the right thing to do,as is recycling.

Nobody wanted to make the investment, I know I searched for years when I first moved here. I feel they deserve to be profitable, they have to make back their investment on transfer stations and extra cans.

Recycling is more important for some than others, just understand that it does cost a company more to offer it.

I was shocked to hear you don't have to sort yourself, I think that is a great service.

The recycling service actually saves us money. We actually recycle more stuff than we throw away. We were having to drive to the recycling center weekly in Acworth. With the can here and no need to sort it all .. it's very convenient and saves us on gas money. :)

I had the same issue. Was sold out to someone else who I never signed with. I called to cancel and was told I had to pay a $20 fee to cancel. I told them I would not pay it. They told me that it was in the contract. I told them that I never signed up with them and was not going to pay the $20. If they could show me a contract with them that had my signature then I would pay but I never agreed to use them. I never paid them a dime to use their service and was not going to pay them a dime to drop them. I was forced to use them until my money was used up that I paid the other company.

They are suppose to pick up my can tomorrow. Guess we will see if they ever come get it.

That is a great service! :good:

Before we moved to GA our city had the trash service and recycling... but you had three bins and you had to sort glass, tin, and plastic in one bin; aluminum in another; and news paper in a third. AND they only took certain plastics 1 and 5 I think.

Now when I go to mom's house they just have one big blue bin and you dump it in. I think recycling centers have better sort machines now.

Of course we drive ours to the Paulding Recycling and Transfer station ever two months or so and they have the Jail crew working... and I gotta say they do a great job and are very polite. :D

Shout out to Tommy Leonard and the great Job he has done expanding recycling in Paulding too. :wub:

I will support the LOCAL company as long as he is in business!!!!! Paulding Waste Disposal has been good to us for years, never had a problem and a few years ago when the gas went up, the garbage co raised their prices (rightfully so) and when the gas prices went down, they lowered their price back to the normal fee.

The recycling service actually saves us money. We actually recycle more stuff than we throw away. We were having to drive to the recycling center weekly in Acworth. With the can here and no need to sort it all .. it's very convenient and saves us on gas money. :)

We recycle more than we throw away now, too. The one can makes it WAY easier!

They are supposed to pick up my can tomorrow. Guess we will see if they ever come get it.

I was told American would pick mine up the 11th also. Crossing my fingers cause I have three cans right now.

The Davis can is a newer can, but it does not even have the American logo on it. That has me worried they may not bother to pick it up. That's what happened with my Sanitec can from 1998 that I still have!

Okay guy's,enough with the letters.lol.I'am thinking about changing services and I need some names.Who has the best prices and the best service.

When you say SW Paulding, where is that? I changed to Waste because of the recycling, but after I changed, they say they don't service my area.

I have BLD, if something happens and they can no longer pick up my trash I will find another local company. I will never use WI, I do not like the company and they will not get my money. :closedeyes:

I was told American would pick mine up the 11th also. Crossing my fingers cause I have three cans right now.

The Davis can is a newer can, but it does not even have the American logo on it. That has me worried they may not bother to pick it up. That's what happened with my Sanitec can from 1998 that I still have!

The first week, they didn't pick ours up because we still had the old companies can. So, I called them the next morning. They had someone out within a few hours to get it. If they don't pick it up, call them.

Okay guy's,enough with the letters.lol.I'am thinking about changing services and I need some names.Who has the best prices and the best service.

So here it is- so far:

Waste Industries is out of NC but has a local office here I think… they have made a new commitment to Paulding and recycling. Some like them better than others they have used. P.com special 9.99 a month, year contract, pay up front for three months.

American Disposal Services is out of VA… you call to a service center in VA. They want you to pay them $20.00 if you cancel, even if they are not giving you service … some like them better than others they have used. I was paying 12.95 a month, however that was my old price from Davis so it may be more, may be less.

BLD local, liked, I know nothing else. No clue on per month cost.

PWR local, liked, I know nothing else. Per LTD $15.00 a month.

Paulding Waste Disposal, local, liked, I know nothing else. No clue on per month cost.

PWR,(don’t know what PWR stand for)... and I will stick with them until they fold up their tent. Good service is worth $15 per month – LTD likes them.

We've had both Waste Industries (WI), and American Disposal Services (A)...I greatly prefer American –mei lan.

When I fired the company from Virgina (American), I told them why. They gave me a line about the $20 fee and I shot it down. Never heard back, and love my new company!! (J.T.) – magic mommie

I'm back with Waste Industries. American wouldn't do recycling pick up anymore and they were more expensive than Waste Industries with recycling pick up – Just thinking hard

I usually prefer a local company, but after getting burned twice I will be sticking with Waste Industries unless their service changes.- converse

Waste Industries, this company has invested a lot in recycling. It was the right thing to do,as is recycling. … you don't have to sort yourself, I think that is a great service. –Lppt

American they do recycling for us. They pick it up weekly. We live in the Dallas Nebo area. I would prefer to give my money to local business. However, it just seems futile - teatime

Local Company! Paulding Waste Disposal has been good to us for years, never had a problem and a few years ago when the gas went up, the garbage co raised their prices (rightfully so) and when the gas prices went down, they lowered their price back to the normal fee. – Mrs G

We have BLD, (I don’t know what BLD stands for) if something happens and they can no longer pick up my trash I will find another local company. I will never use Waste Industries , -Raiders Rock

We use Paulding Waste and won't use WI because of past service which suxd. PW has been great!- creative one

Edited by Far West

I have BLD, if something happens and they can no longer pick up my trash I will find another local company. I will never use WI, I do not like the company and they will not get my money. :closedeyes:

We use Paulding Waste and won't use WI because of past service which suxd. PW has been great!

The first week, they didn't pick ours up because we still had the old companies can. So, I called them the next morning. They had someone out within a few hours to get it. If they don't pick it up, call them.

Good to know! :D :good:

We use Thomas and they are so reliable but probably a bit more money. I have no contract. Been using them for years.

How much and are they local? Fire 911 needs some guidence! ;) :lol:

Its a similar strategy The home depot and wall-mart used to gain market share. I persoanlly try to use the small locally owned companies when possible.

Its a similar strategy The home depot and wall-mart used to gain market share. I persoanlly try to use the small locally owned companies when possible.

I agree, my guys are great they always show up. They even came out the week of the snow storm, I was like :huh: :rofl:

I had Davis and loved them until they sold to American. I am not happy with American and have been looking for another company to use, but like everyone else has said, they want to charge a cancellation fee., I never signed a contract with them so I feel no need to pay that. I have also noticed that they have changed out all the neighbors trash cans but have not done mine.... I still have a Davis can.

When you say SW Paulding, where is that? I changed to Waste because of the recycling, but after I changed, they say they don't service my area.

Hiram Sudie and 61.

I had Davis and loved them until they sold to American. I am not happy with American and have been looking for another company to use, but like everyone else has said, they want to charge a cancellation fee., I never signed a contract with them so I feel no need to pay that. I have also noticed that they have changed out all the neighbors trash cans but have not done mine.... I still have a Davis can.

When they bring that up after you tell them you are cancelling, be firm. Tell them that you did not chose them - your company was purchased, you have received poor service. Let them know that you never signed any contract with them so you are not paying any money to them to cancel... then change the subject by telling the service rep to schedule a pickup of the Davis can.

I made sure they owed me no money... others said they never refunded money when they cancelled service ...timing is important, be ready to start with a new company when you use up the weeks you have paid for. :) You can do it! :D

• Like 1

When they bring that up after you tell them you are cancelling, be firm. Tell them that you did not chose them - your company was purchased, you have received poor service. Let them know that you never signed any contract with them so you are not paying any money to them to cancel... then change the subject by telling the service rep to schedule a pickup of the Davis can.

I made sure they owed me no money... others said they never refunded money when they cancelled service ...timing is important, be ready to start with a new company when you use up the weeks you have paid for. :) You can do it! :D

agreed! that is what I did also. I made sure that I didn't have to ask for any refund because I knew I would probably never see it.

They are suppose to pick up my can tomorrow. Guess we will see if they ever come get it.

American came and picked up the Davis can! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Lacy did they get yours too?

How in the world do these companies think they are going to collect a cancellation fee? Especially if you don't have a contract with them. and why should you even have to sign a contract to get garbage picked up?

I guess American has bought my company out too, we had All-terrain and we received a letter saying American would be handling our business. The garbage can is bigger at no additional price so lets see what happens. They come very early in the morning right at 7. All-terrain was located in Powder Springs, I hate this company not being local. I try to help local businesses when I can.