37 replies to this topic

#1 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

I'm wondering when ice cream is going to stop shrinking.

They are charging more than I used to pay for a half gallon.

Amid the pandemic of shrinking products that is sweeping the nation, its nearly impossible to find a half-gallon container of ice cream that is still a full half-gallon, or 64 ounces.

I just canít believe some giant corporation would ever intentionally try to screw over its loyal, hardworking customers. No way. Iím sure thereís a reasonable explanation for all this. :drinks:
"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#2 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:06 PM

Do they claim to be a half gallon? If you notice packaging is getting smaller in the name of healthy eating on a lot of stuff, ice cream is just following market trends. You are getting the weight as advertised on the cartoon, and getting what you pay for...unless it says "half gallon" somewhere that I'm missing.

Edited by Go BLUE!, 01 August 2011 - 12:07 PM.

Posted Image
"If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go....if they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, then send me to hell or Salt Lake City it would be about the same to me." - Uncle Kracker

#3 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

Do they claim to be a half gallon? If you notice packaging is getting smaller in the name of healthy eating on a lot of stuff, ice cream is just following market trends. You are getting the weight as advertised on the cartoon, and getting what you pay for...unless it says "half gallon" somewhere that I'm missing.

My guess is that the carton factory accidentally made a batch of undersized cartons. Iím not sure how any quality control technician worth his weight in Cookies and Cream could allow such a grievous defect to get out the door, but Iíll bet that sonofabitch was all jazzed up on the dope (yeah, Iím hip to the lingo, youngíuns).

But then somehow (the odds of this happening have to be like 1 in a million) the ice cream factory dairy? company didnít even realize that they had received defective product. I know, WTF, right? Sure, accidents happen. But this is more than just a mere accident. This is CATASTROPHIC SYSTEM FAILURE, Go BLUE! :drinks:

I borrowed this statement from: http://thehusbandblog.wordpress.com/

Edited by The Postman, 01 August 2011 - 12:14 PM.

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#4 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

My guess is that the carton factory accidentally made a batch of undersized cartons. Iím not sure how any quality control technician worth his weight in Cookies and Cream could allow such a grievous defect to get out the door, but Iíll bet that sonofabitch was all jazzed up on the dope (yeah, Iím hip to the lingo, youngíuns).

But then somehow (the odds of this happening have to be like 1 in a million) the ice cream factory dairy? company didnít even realize that they had received defective product. I know, WTF, right? Sure, accidents happen. But this is more than just a mere accident. This is CATASTROPHIC SYSTEM FAILURE, Go BLUE! :drinks:

So you are claiming that you are paying for a half gallon and not getting it? The price on the shelf is less then what is being charged at the check out? You aren't paying for the quanity listed? When you multiple the qty listed times the price per ounce it doesn't equal what you have paid?

Interesting. I will have to have the wife look into this. thanks for the heads up.

Posted Image
"If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go....if they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, then send me to hell or Salt Lake City it would be about the same to me." - Uncle Kracker

#5 ivylove

ivylove

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

I don't think it is really being done to help keep you healthy. Do you buy into that? I think it is a way of making more money. The amount in the box is less, but the price stays the "same". A lot of people won't take the time to check the weight, and therefor never realize they are paying more for less.
Sneaky little trick, I think.
Another little trick is making the "packaging" way to big for the product. Once you get it home, you realize it is only like "half" full. The rest is just packaging and air. I think it is just a mind game to make you think you are getting "more" for your money in this last example.
  • x-N-tric likes this
Posted Image
Rise above the madness!

************* ONE (1) Death************ WORLDWIDE (Monorail)
vs
In 2003 there were 6,328,000 car accidents (in the US.) There were 2.9 million injuries and 42,643 people were killed in auto accidents.
In 2002, there were an estimated 6,316,000 car accidents in the USA. There were about 2.9 million injuries and 42,815 people were killed in auto accidents in 2002.
etc............ect............ect..............ect...............

Automobiles and their use are responsible for more pollution and other environmental destruction, including the largest share of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, than any other human pursuit in the world. Cars also cause 40,000 human and 400,000,000 animal deaths every year in the US. Cars lead to suburban growth (= natural habitat destruction) and social isolation.

#6 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

They are double dipping, if you ask me. They are raising the prices AND lowering amount of the item/product we are buying. I have noticed that tuna has shrunk, too. It's now 5.5 oz.? The frozen veggies are now 12 ozs.
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#7 chainshaw1

chainshaw1

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

So, since my dog food bags are no longer 20lbs., does that mean it is for my dog's health, too?

Smaller packages, same price.
"The protection of our rights can endure no longer than the performance of our responsibilities." John F. Kennedy, 1963

Si vis pacem, para bellum

#8 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

Good Gawd I can't believe this topic is being taken seriously.

Lets put it this way, do to the rising cost of goods one of two things is going to happen. You are going to pay more, or you are going to get less. It is a well know fact that you are better off to decrease the qty and charge the same price rather then increase your pricing if you want to stay in business. It isn't "double dipping" unless they are charging you for product that you are not getting or they are putting false info on the cartoon. You are not forced to buy anything you don't want to.

So, since my dog food bags are no longer 20lbs., does that mean it is for my dog's health, too?

Smaller packages, same price.

The heatlh comment was more for PM benifit as he is always so against the consumption of junk food. You are smart enough to figure out the rest.

Posted Image

#9 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

So you are claiming that you are paying for a half gallon and not getting it? The price on the shelf is less then what is being charged at the check out? You aren't paying for the quanity listed? When you multiple the qty listed times the price per ounce it doesn't equal what you have paid?

Interesting. I will have to have the wife look into this. thanks for the heads up.

The ice cream is not offered in the half gallon any more, in most places. It;s the same when building supplies started selling 1 1/2" X 3 1/2" lumber and calling them 2X4's. You have no choice in most stores but to buy 2X4's that actually measure 1 1/2" X 3 1/2"! :drinks:

Some people do, but I don't have to measure a 2X4 to find out it is only 1 1/2 X 3 1/2. Calling it a 2x4 has nothing to do with the size of it.

Some people are tricked into actually believing they are buying a half gallon of ice cream when it is only 48 ounces. Just like some people believe that the wood is actually a 2X4, when it's a 1 1/2 X 3 1/2.

Edited by The Postman, 01 August 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#10 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

The ice cream is not offered in the half gallon any more, in most places. It;s the same when building supplies started selling 1 1/2" X 3 1/2" lumber and calling them 2X4's. You have no choice in most stores but to buy 2X4's that actually measure 1 1/2" X 3 1/2"! :drinks:

so you are bitching about getting what you pay for? Interesting

Oh, and 2x4 have been that size for a LOOOOONG time. folks call them 2x4 because its easier to round up then saying I need a 1.5X3.5

Posted Image

#11 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

so you are bitching about getting what you pay for? Interesting

Oh, and 2x4 have been that size for a LOOOOONG time. folks call them 2x4 because its easier to round up then saying I need a 1.5X3.5

:rofl:

I thought you had rather be dead than to be a puppet on a string, Go BLUE!

#12 Marteen-J

Marteen-J

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

In case ya'll haven't noticed, toilet paper rolls are also shrinking. Not only less sheets per roll, but the width used to be 4.5 inches. The manufacturers are starting to sell 4 inch wide rolls now. The newer suspect rolls have a larger gap in the holder.

#13 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

In case ya'll haven't noticed, toilet paper rolls are also shrinking. Not only less sheets per roll, but the width used to be 4.5 inches. The manufacturers are starting to sell 4 inch wide rolls now. The newer suspect rolls have a larger gap in the holder.

People will certainly have to find out on their own. The advertisement's hasn't changed to reflect the difference in size.

This is why I used the word U-N-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G, and talk about education a lot. Things like this are not shown in the advertisement's we see from sunup to sundown, everyday. :drinks:

#14 AustinPlantation

AustinPlantation

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Have you noticed that one brand of OJ has been putting only 56oz in their half-gallon containers?

Now they've changed theor cartons to plastique too.

Edited by AustinPlantation, 01 August 2011 - 12:54 PM.

Mel
-------------------------------------------------------
An optomist may not get there any faster, but he'll enjoy the trip more If you believe you can, you can --- and if you can't, at least you believed you could!

#15 ivylove

ivylove

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:02 PM

Everything is getting smaller, and yet our stores and most of us are all seem to be getting bigger. How is that possible?

Edited by ivylove, 01 August 2011 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image
Rise above the madness!

************* ONE (1) Death************ WORLDWIDE (Monorail)
vs
In 2003 there were 6,328,000 car accidents (in the US.) There were 2.9 million injuries and 42,643 people were killed in auto accidents.
In 2002, there were an estimated 6,316,000 car accidents in the USA. There were about 2.9 million injuries and 42,815 people were killed in auto accidents in 2002.
etc............ect............ect..............ect...............

Automobiles and their use are responsible for more pollution and other environmental destruction, including the largest share of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, than any other human pursuit in the world. Cars also cause 40,000 human and 400,000,000 animal deaths every year in the US. Cars lead to suburban growth (= natural habitat destruction) and social isolation.

#16 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

Everything is getting smaller, and yet our stores and most of us are all seem to be getting bigger. How is that possible?

Good points ivy!

Greed is the name for it. There is no passion, or principal, to be found in corporations. They know no country. They couldn't care less about this country's most vital resource (its people), and they will use them until the resource starts fending for itself.

#17 Newbie in New Hope

Newbie in New Hope

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:51 PM

I can answer this question from the grocery store's perspective. It's all about shelf space and placement. Companies would rather have more "units" in the shelf space allotted vs. larger sizes of less "units". It looks better, it doesn't run out as fast, and there are greater margins in selling more units vs. more volume. They are trying to get as many units into their shelf space as possible, per the grocery store's standards.

Also, I know most of you seem to have larger families. For those of us that don't have crumb snatchers at home, having smaller portions means we will be throwing less out. A half gallon of ice cream would be a box of ice crystals around here, where the smaller sizes take up less freezer space and is a better portion size for us, as we'll actually finish it. Same with toilet paper, I don't really need 60 rolls of toilet paper filling up my linen closet. The list goes on and on.

I'm not sure that this is right or wrong, just a different point of view.
"THOSE WHO EXPECT TO REAP THE BLESSINGS OF FREEDOM MUST, LIKE MEN, UNDERGO THE FATIGUE OF SUPPORTING IT."
THOMAS PAINE

#18 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

If I an not mistaken, blue bell is still a true half gallon of ice cream. Go Blue, we still pay more AND get less for the products we buy.
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#19 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

I can answer this question from the grocery store's perspective. It's all about shelf space and placement. Companies would rather have more "units" in the shelf space allotted vs. larger sizes of less "units". It looks better, it doesn't run out as fast, and there are greater margins in selling more units vs. more volume. They are trying to get as many units into their shelf space as possible, per the grocery store's standards.

Also, I know most of you seem to have larger families. For those of us that don't have crumb snatchers at home, having smaller portions means we will be throwing less out. A half gallon of ice cream would be a box of ice crystals around here, where the smaller sizes take up less freezer space and is a better portion size for us, as we'll actually finish it. Same with toilet paper, I don't really need 60 rolls of toilet paper filling up my linen closet. The list goes on and on.

I'm not sure that this is right or wrong, just a different point of view.

That's well and good, N i N H!

I will agree that the store managers think this way. But, I like to buy a half gallon, because I get more bang for my buck. I go to stores who are more customer oriented instead of the ones who are shelf maximizing, item maximizing, and profit maximizing, oriented.

But, I understand what you are saying, VERY WELL! :drinks:

#20 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

Same with baby formula. They "changed the packaging" so now we pay the same price for about 8oz less than the old packaging. Chaps my hide.
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#21 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Same with baby formula. They "changed the packaging" so now we pay the same price for about 8oz less than the old packaging. Chaps my hide.

They make more money that way, jenilyn!

Let me quote the chief author of our Declaration of Independence once again on this: "The selfish spirit of commerce knows no country, and feels no passion or principle but that of gain."

#22 kittycat

kittycat

LAWDY LAWDY LAWDY LADY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

I feel so much better now........I thought I ate a whole 1/2 gallon of ice cream last week.....and still had some Nestles chocolate syrup left.......NOW I KNOW........Thanks buddy....
Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have.

#23 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

I feel so much better now........I thought I ate a whole 1/2 gallon of ice cream last week.....and still had some Nestles chocolate syrup left.......NOW I KNOW........Thanks buddy....

You are welcome, kc!

I can't imagine a little woman like you having eaten even the 48 oz. size. You must have been starving. Or, did it take you a whole week to eat that much ice cream? :drinks:

#24 kittycat

kittycat

LAWDY LAWDY LAWDY LADY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

You are welcome, kc!

I can't imagine a little woman like you having eaten even the 48 oz. size. You must have been starving. Or, did it take you a whole week to eat that much ice cream? :drinks:

LOL....I might be little but I can put down some ice cream.....I'm into this Nestles NESQUIK Chocolate Syrup ..after my lunch I make me a big ole milk shake.....then after dinner I make me a sundae in a bowl....and it took me almost a week .....I got the last of it last night....lol

#25 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

LOL....I might be little but I can put down some ice cream.....I'm into this Nestles NESQUIK Chocolate Syrup ..after my lunch I make me a big ole milk shake.....then after dinner I make me a sundae in a bowl....and it took me almost a week .....I got the last of it last night....lol

Well, kc, it's time to go to the store. Get you some of this. It is still in the 1/2 gallon size. [attachment=110145:0007189903720_A.jpg]

I'll have to admit that it takes me two servings to put away 48 oz., but I used to get about three servings out of a 1/2 gallon. I think I like ice cream better than I used to, and it's costing me more per ounce. :drinks:

#26 kittycat

kittycat

LAWDY LAWDY LAWDY LADY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Good deal, cause that's my favorite anyways...I bought Breyers cause it was on sale.......but BLUE BELL is the best........LOL

#27 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

Good deal, cause that's my favorite anyways...I bought Breyers cause it was on sale.......but BLUE BELL is the best........LOL

I stopped by Kroger and bought three containers. I didn't look at the ounces, but they were on sell for $1.99. They were the Kroger brand, but it was good. :drinks:

#28 kittycat

kittycat

LAWDY LAWDY LAWDY LADY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:55 PM

I stopped by Kroger and bought three containers. I didn't look at the ounces, but they were on sell for $1.99. They were the Kroger brand, but it was good. :drinks:

I will check the Kroger paper and see what kind of ice cream that have........I will be up there tomorrow....Not going today though...I guess I will just have to be HAPPY with milk and chocolate cake for a snack tonight.....LOL

#29 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

I will check the Kroger paper and see what kind of ice cream that have........I will be up there tomorrow....Not going today though...I guess I will just have to be HAPPY with milk and chocolate cake for a snack tonight.....LOL

You remind me of HAPPY, kc, no matter whether it's with milk, chocolate, or cake. :drinks:

#30 kittycat

kittycat

LAWDY LAWDY LAWDY LADY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

You remind me of HAPPY, kc, no matter whether it's with milk, chocolate, or cake. :drinks:

awwwwww HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.....in everything you do.......LOL :yahoo:

#31 Ugadawgs98

Ugadawgs98

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

Some people do, but I don't have to measure a 2X4 to find out it is only 1 1/2 X 3 1/2. Calling it a 2x4 has nothing to do with the size of it.

Some people are tricked into actually believing they are buying a half gallon of ice cream when it is only 48 ounces. Just like some people believe that the wood is actually a 2X4, when it's a 1 1/2 X 3 1/2.

Your ignorance is showing. 2X4's never 'shrank', lumber is sold by its rough cut dimensions. So when you buy milled lumber the piece that starts as a full 2"X4" ends up being smaller after wood is shaved from it to make a finished piece.

#32 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,829 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

I don't think it is really being done to help keep you healthy. Do you buy into that? I think it is a way of making more money. The amount in the box is less, but the price stays the "same". A lot of people won't take the time to check the weight, and therefor never realize they are paying more for less.
Sneaky little trick, I think.
Another little trick is making the "packaging" way to big for the product. Once you get it home, you realize it is only like "half" full. The rest is just packaging and air. I think it is just a mind game to make you think you are getting "more" for your money in this last example.

Right on.

While the smaller package does benefit the store for the reasons you have stated, the store has very little input on the size of the package that the manufacturer makes.

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#33 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,364 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

Lumber referred to as 2x4's are cut from logs to measure 2"x4" plus the length. However, the drying process and planing of the lumber reduces them to 1.5" x 3.5" in finished product. That's how they have always measured as far back as I can remember. Just remember the size whether it's 2x4, 1x2, 1x6 or whatever is the original cut from the log.
Golly gee willickers.

#34 2witty4u

2witty4u

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

Well, kc, it's time to go to the store. Get you some of this. It is still in the 1/2 gallon size. [attachment=110145:0007189903720_A.jpg]

I'll have to admit that it takes me two servings to put away 48 oz., but I used to get about three servings out of a 1/2 gallon. I think I like ice cream better than I used to, and it's costing me more per ounce. :drinks:

My Favorite Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla!!! It is so yummy!!!

#35 kittycat

kittycat

LAWDY LAWDY LAWDY LADY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

My Favorite Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla!!! It is so yummy!!!

That's my favorite as well........ :yahoo:

#36 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

Lumber referred to as 2x4's are cut from logs to measure 2"x4" plus the length. However, the drying process and planing of the lumber reduces them to 1.5" x 3.5" in finished product. That's how they have always measured as far back as I can remember. Just remember the size whether it's 2x4, 1x2, 1x6 or whatever is the original cut from the log.

Thanks E Z!

Actually 1 5/8" X 3 5/8" would have worked for the finished product, after processing. But, shipping was cheaper if the other 1/8" was also eliminated. So now we have the 1 1/2" X 3 1/2" standard.

Ice Cream containers, on the other hand, was cut in size for the benefit of making more money (in shelving, in delivery, and in handling). Customer satisfaction only came from having to eat less ice cream.

#37 Newbie in New Hope

Newbie in New Hope

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

Right on.

While the smaller package does benefit the store for the reasons you have stated, the store has very little input on the size of the package that the manufacturer makes.

Correct, my apologies if I was unclear. The stores dictate how much shelf space can be used by their vendors. Vendors will typically choose to put as many units in this space as possible. As someone who once stocked grocery shelves, I can tell you that we were typically trained that pulling a few smaller units to the front looks much better than pulling one or two large units to the front, as someone purchasing just one larger unit makes the shelf look bare again. The smaller units are typically a win - win for the store and the vendor. The "loser" sometimes may be the customer.
"THOSE WHO EXPECT TO REAP THE BLESSINGS OF FREEDOM MUST, LIKE MEN, UNDERGO THE FATIGUE OF SUPPORTING IT."
THOMAS PAINE

#38 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,515 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

Correct, my apologies if I was unclear. The stores dictate how much shelf space can be used by their vendors. Vendors will typically choose to put as many units in this space as possible. As someone who once stocked grocery shelves, I can tell you that we were typically trained that pulling a few smaller units to the front looks much better than pulling one or two large units to the front, as someone purchasing just one larger unit makes the shelf look bare again. The smaller units are typically a win - win for the store and the vendor. The "loser" sometimes may be the customer.

I suppose vendors do organize the ice cream section, but a lot of things are not refurnished by outside vendors. I have bought ice cream at or below what a store pays for it, but I have found that I have paid more for other items in the store. :drinks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics