7 replies to this topic

#1 Mommy2Three

Mommy2Three

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

My coworker was telling me about how she has been subing ground meat with meatless crumbles, and how good it is.

I was just curious if anyone else has tried this and liked it. I was thinking about picking some up tonight and trying them, and wanted to some feed back first.
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Rest in Peace Dillan Alexander Porter and Gina Marie Laird 1-23-2007
Rest in peace J.B. Blinkhorn 7-5-2008
Rest in peace Grandma Joan 2-14-2009

#2 Shananigans

Shananigans

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

My daughter doesn't eat meat so I use these all the time. You can use it just like regular ground beef and we like it just fine. It's more expensive though. The organic food section in Kroger has a section for meat substitutes, tofu , etc. and there are 1 lb packs of a product called "Gimme Lean" that I use to make meat loaf with.

#3 mysterious

mysterious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

I have used it in the past for spaghetti and such. Just scramble it up and season with chili powder, it tastes great.
ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD.

#4 Jessica Rabbit

Jessica Rabbit

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking it tastes like ground beef. It certainly does not. But it isn't horrible at all. I regularly substitute with it in chili and spaghetti (but I prefer the premade "meat"balls OMG SO GOOD) but you are going to have to season it very well to get it past anyone who's expecting meat. Cumin always helped and of course chili powder. I found that using grill mates seasoning helped too. The texture of the vegetable protein is almost exactly like meat, but the taste... well you'll see. It's hard to describe.

I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.

#5 Nolongerhere

Nolongerhere

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

Pretty good stuff :) We are a split family. Half are vegans half carnivores. On our vegan nights .. the carnivores eat my crumbles and they actually like them.
Moved on to a more positive and enriching environment =)

#6 justgettingby

justgettingby

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

Just check the ingredients. Some of them are full of tons of fillers, enriched and partially hydrogenated crap. You'd think they'd be healthier than the alternative but some are not.

#7 Póg mo thóin

Póg mo thóin

author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:33 PM

I prefer the Boca brand for a more ground beef texture but the morningstar farms stuff is good too.
I love it in chili, tacos, spaghetti. It absorbs the flavor really well.

#8 flossy

flossy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

They give you the texture you are looking for in meat, but without it! Anyway, we used to eat them, but they caused us to have MAJOR gas!
The only difference between us and the animals is our ability to accesorize- Clarice, Steel Magnolias

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics