Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo

Morality as taught in the IVY LEAGUE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Poll: What can't money buy? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

In the Civil War, a man could avoid the draft by paying another to take his place. Should this be legal?

1. Yes (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Should a woman be able to sell her services as a surrogate mother? Should the public courts enforce such a contract?

1. Yes (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. No (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Should it be legal to sell your body for sex?

1. Yes (7 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. No (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Should a person offering a baby for adoption be able to place it with the highest bidder?

1. Yes (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Should a person be able to buy a body part (heart, lung, kidney, liver) etc. for transplant on the open market

1. Yes (4 votes [40.00%])

2. No (6 votes [60.00%])

Is it morally permissible for a person to donate a kidney (they have two) to save another's life?

1. Yes (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Is it morally permissible for a person to SELL a kidney (they have two) to save another's life?

1. Yes (6 votes [60.00%])

2. No (4 votes [40.00%])

Vote

#1 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,147 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

Now to the fifth installment of Michael Sandel's series on Justice which explores in a series of about 13 hours of lectures, how political morality has evolved - as taught at Harvard.

This next piece explores the nature of the military, the draft and even motherhood - as the prof explores what money can buy.

For instance, and there are a few poll questions in this one, is it proper to sell a kidney? How about being a surrogate mother? How about paying someone to go to war for you as many a wealthy northerner did in the Civil War. Heck, should it be legal to buy sex (or sell it?) Is there a difference.

Here's the lecture:

pubby

#2 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,147 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

I'm a bit surprised ... it would seem that if a pcommer approached another pcommer and suggested a roll in the hay for money, there is a 75% chance - if the poll is correct - that they'd make a market for sex on the spot.

And, if the encounter was productive, at least half would be okay with the mommy putting the infant on the auction block.

Somehow, here on the buckle of the bible belt, I don't think the early poll results recorded so far would hold.

pubby

#3 ca2ga

ca2ga

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

Or maybe people voted the opposite of what you wanted on purpose to show how ridiculous these videos are? I know I did.

#4 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,147 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:24 AM

Or maybe people voted the opposite of what you wanted on purpose to show how ridiculous these videos are? I know I did.

What makes you think I want anyone to vote any particular answer. That is about the most absurd thing I've ever heard. I mean that is like me saying, I want you to be careful crossing the street so you go out and jump in front of a car because you just want to do the opposite of what I say you ought to do.

That is ridiculous but hey, don't play in traffic. (Who knows it might work :) )

pubby

#5 ca2ga

ca2ga

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

What's absurd is the subject title. Morality taught by liberal institutions.

#6 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,147 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

This is a bit more than a classic survey of philosophy of the enlightenment but the key folks presented have included, who? Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill, Immanuel Kant, and John Locke come to mind. I know we're in for a few more thinkers from the enlightenment ... but you have to know that Locke provided much of the intellectual basis - thought regarding documents like the Declaration of Independence.

But if you find it unappealing, that's fine. A lot of folks are baffled by philosophy or simply disinterested. Same could be said for Picasso, Rembrandt, Mozart, Beethoven or even the Beatles. People are different but usually they have enough respect for themselves to avoid things they find repugnant. Then again, others are gluttons for punishment.

pubby

#7 eym_sirius

eym_sirius

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

I'm fine with a discussion of philosophy, but I don't see this series promoting very much discussion.

It should be condensed into one thread, IMO, or transferred to a blog on the subject for future reference.

Addtionally, I was a bit put off by the title, "Morality as taught in the Ivy League" What person is going to sit through hours of

lectures on morality? The image that comes to mind is a street preacher scripture-torturing a prisoner tied to a chair and begging for mercy.

He looks like Tony Perkins in "Crimes of Passion"
Caution: language

#8 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,691 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

I'm fine with a discussion of philosophy, but I don't see this series promoting very much discussion.

It should be condensed into one thread, IMO, or transferred to a blog on the subject for future reference.

Addtionally, I was a bit put off by the title, "Morality as taught in the Ivy League" What person is going to sit through hours of

lectures on morality? The image that comes to mind is a street preacher scripture-torturing a prisoner tied to a chair and begging for mercy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xX20IHxzZA

I think conservatives are becoming more and more uneasy with society. It seems to me that demographics are changing, and conservatives are having to get out of their comfort zone. The tea party is a shining example of having to get out of their comfort zone and start standing up for what they think is right.

But, if I have to act like a conservative, I DON'T WANT BE RIGHT! :drinks:
"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#9 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,147 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xX20IHxzZA

Eym:

Thank you for your constructive criticism. I did view all the lectures and I think that was pretty representative of the experience folks get attending lectures in college. The use of the Ivy League link was to both highlight the source (Harvard) and show that the education that exists is not so highfalutin that we mere mortals are out of our class :)

I did put it into individual posts largely because that was more like the weekly lectures. That it took me about two weeks to post them all was also a consideration. I will move the topics to a separate forum here before long.

TP: I think conservatives were well represented and the point of view given due consideration in the lecture(s). Indeed, I think that most conservatives would be surprised at logic that ascribes to their position. Unfortunately, I think that the knee-jerk reaction that this wuz Harvard and that meant it was pinko liberal kept a lot of folks from even clicking the page. All I can say is that the old horse led to water, their failure to take advantage of the opportunity was their loss.

pubby

#10 ca2ga

ca2ga

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

Eym:

Thank you for your constructive criticism. I did view all the lectures and I think that was pretty representative of the experience folks get attending lectures in college. The use of the Ivy League link was to both highlight the source (Harvard) and show that the education that exists is not so highfalutin that we mere mortals are out of our class :)

I did put it into individual posts largely because that was more like the weekly lectures. That it took me about two weeks to post them all was also a consideration. I will move the topics to a separate forum here before long.

TP: I think conservatives were well represented and the point of view given due consideration in the lecture(s). Indeed, I think that most conservatives would be surprised at logic that ascribes to their position. Unfortunately, I think that the knee-jerk reaction that this wuz Harvard and that meant it was pinko liberal kept a lot of folks from even clicking the page. All I can say is that the old horse led to water, their failure to take advantage of the opportunity was their loss.

pubby

And some people just feel compelled to post YouTube videos (or nonsensical rants) to make themselves feel smarter or more enlightened then anyone else.

#11 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,691 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

Eym:

pubby

It seems that my individual personality is so outrageous, to a lot of people, as to not matters whether I am a Liberal, a Libertarian, an Egalitarian, or a Utilitarian. But, I certainly understand. If I were one of the people, who personally attacks my character, I would would attack people's personal character, myself. :drinks:
"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics