21 replies to this topic

#1 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

This is probably the wrong forum, but I think more people view this one than most of the others.

Anyway, we are getting sick and tired of going to "decent" restaurants for good old fashioned country fried steak and it turns out to be some kind of mashed processed fast food stuff that you can buy frozen at a restaurant supply house.

Anyway, I was at a local grocery store this afternoon and they had "cubed steak" for a dollar more per lb than this really thin cut top round. I've got a meat hammer (keep that in mind any of you who don't like me LOL), and I figure I can actually do this myself.

So, I know there are some good ol' Southern cooks here - give me your tips on CF Steak.

TIA.

#2 LisaC

LisaC

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

I never make it, but my mom used to sprinkle salt on the meat and then dredge it in buttermilk and then in seasoned flour (salt, pepper, and it seems like something else) and then fry it in hot melted Crisco in a cast iron skillet. After frying, she would drain off most of the grease, add flour, milk and pepper and make the gravy to go with it.
Sometimes no comment is the best comment.

#3 Mistake Not...

Mistake Not...

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

I generally take "cubed steak" and just coat it in a homemade mixture of flour and spices (salt, ground pepper, garlic powder) then fry them suckers till the stop bleeding in the pan.
Then top with a white or pepper gravy mix.

I'm sure you could get all fancy with a wet dip then dry dredge, maybe throw a egg somewhere into the mix.
But when you smother good meat in gravy, the crunch of the coating is all that matters.

Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.

#4 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for both your answers! I just want to keep it tender until ready to serve, and I agree that seasoning and good gravy can make any meat much better.

I don't have any buttermilk on hand, but I do have milk, and I do know how to turn that into "buttermilk" which I shall do.

OK, I think I've got a plan - thanks!

#5 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

This is probably the wrong forum, but I think more people view this one than most of the others.

Anyway, we are getting sick and tired of going to "decent" restaurants for good old fashioned country fried steak and it turns out to be some kind of mashed processed fast food stuff that you can buy frozen at a restaurant supply house.

Anyway, I was at a local grocery store this afternoon and they had "cubed steak" for a dollar more per lb than this really thin cut top round. I've got a meat hammer (keep that in mind any of you who don't like me LOL), and I figure I can actually do this myself.

So, I know there are some good ol' Southern cooks here - give me your tips on CF Steak.

TIA.

If you ask the butcher, they will "Cube" any cuts of meat for you. I prefer round, london broil, or sirloin for CFS. I salt & pepper, and let it sit on a rack for 24 hours or more. A marinade won't hurt either. And, you can still pound it between 2 sheets of plastic wrap if you don't think it is tender enough.

Dust in flour, and any herbs or seasonings you might want, and pan fry it in a cast iron skillet in fat.....we use goose/duck fat.

Remove and let the steaks sit, and cook up a bunch of slice onions in what's left of the pan drippings. Add flour to the drippings, and make a roux, and then deglaze it with wine, or a milk gravy goes well too. Add back in the CFS and let them come to a bubble.

Mashed taters, corn bread, fried green tomatoes and a salad would make a nice meal.

Pounded chicken breasts do well with the same recipe.

Bon Apetite Posted Image

When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#6 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,704 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

I am cooking cube steak tonight... I just flour it and fry it...
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#7 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

Pretty similar to that one ^^

Rinse steaks in cold water, blot dry with paper towel. Salt & pepper steaks, then dredge in flour til well absorbed (I pressed mine into the flour on both sides til they were about 1/4" thick), then dip in mixture of beaten egg & cold water (1-2 eggs, beaten with 2-3 tblsp cold water) then into flour again. Fry in hot oil or shortening til browned on both sides, drain on paper towels.

I think I got this off the back of a bag of White Lily flour some years ago...pressing them out flat and coating well first with flour makes them more crispy than regular fried cubed steak.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#8 Mistake Not...

Mistake Not...

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

Remove and let the steaks sit, and cook up a bunch of slice onions in what's left of the pan drippings. Add flour to the drippings, and make a roux, and then deglaze it with wine, or a milk gravy goes well too. Add back in the CFS and let them come to a bubble.

Mashed taters, corn bread, fried green tomatoes and a salad would make a nice meal.

Bon Apetite Posted Image

I am cooking cube steak tonight... I just flour it and fry it...

Dang, now it all comes down to deciding if we all go to Surepip's for the meal or Lady Raider's for the charm.. :ph34r: :blink: :ninja:

Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.

#9 mei lan

mei lan

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

Holy crap...I know what we're havin' tonight! YOWSA!!!

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

#10 Ms. Clara

Ms. Clara

Paulding Com member

• Mayberry Sheriff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

Sorry juleebella, that is not a valid reason for posting in the wrong forum. I have moved the thread to the THOUGHTS FOR FOOD forum.
http://www.paulding.com/ads/mayberryrack.swf
Everyone can nominate another for a bullet through the report this post button appearing to the left bottom of each post.
Don't do it maliciously and don't cry wolf or you may get shot yourself ... the popo can get trigger happy when they're over-worked.

#11 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,704 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

My mama use to make onion gravy with cube steak... oh my gosh it was so good... I miss my mama's cooking I think I need to call her and slightly suggest a good home cooked mama meal :pardon:
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#12 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

LOL, I was afraid that my OP was in the wrong forum, and apparently it was. Went back to thank all of you for your responses and I got an error message - my bad I guess.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses - I'll let you know how it turns out.

Think I'll do rice and gravy or mashed potatoes and gravy, and either garden grown green beans or frozen baby peas with it, with some simmered carrots for color.

Thanks again folks!

#13 Mistake Not...

Mistake Not...

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

Sorry juleebella, that is not a valid reason for posting in the wrong forum. I have moved the thread to the THOUGHTS FOR FOOD forum.

I wouldn't have re-found this topic if I didn't go under my profile and look at my posting history.
Having this forum hiding under Features and games > features > Thoughts For Food isn't conducive to it being used too often especially considering the last posting in here was in March.

Food for Thought, just saying. :glare:

Edited by Due_Diligence, 25 July 2011 - 02:49 PM.

#14 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

Sorry Clara - and thanks Clara. Don't post enough here anymore to know all the rules - no problem!

#15 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Gyros here tonight.

Home made pita breads, cooked Saturday on the griddle on the grill. Leg of lamb roasted on the rotisserie on the grill.

Tzazeki sauce with garden cukes, garlic, greek yogurt, creme fresche and mint. Really refreshing stuff.

The Pitas did well on the griddle, but did not rise as much as they do on my "Stone" in the oven. But in this heat, we make compromises, right ? They still taste great even if you have to slice them in half with a steak knife.

Garden green beans, sliced maters and some lettuce.

And Ouzo for me. Just goes great with the lamb, garlic, and tzazeki.Posted Image

But I think I have some frozen cube steaks in marinade in a vaccuum sealed bag in the freezer. I shall look for it this even and will cook CFS tomorrow night.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#16 Jessica Rabbit

Jessica Rabbit

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

When in doubt, do what I do. Look up how Paula Deen cooks it and know you've got the best recipe out there. :clapping:
  • PWilhelm likes this
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.

#17 Mistake Not...

Mistake Not...

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

When in doubt, do what I do. Look up how Paula Deen cooks it and know you've got the best recipe out there. :clapping:

Yeah but who exactly enjoys deep fried butter, coated, marinated and fried in butter? :blink:

#18 Jessica Rabbit

Jessica Rabbit

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

Yeah but who exactly enjoys deep fried butter, coated, marinated and fried in butter? :blink:

THIS GIRL. But only on rare occasions. If she wants to hit it outta the park the first time, then tweak from there, I stand by my advice. But you are correct... You can use a 1/3 of everything "fatty" she uses and it still tastes just the same.
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.

#19 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

I wouldn't have re-found this topic if I didn't go under my profile and look at my posting history.
Having this forum hiding under Features and games > features > Thoughts For Food isn't conducive to it being used too often especially considering the last posting in here was in March.

Food for Thought, just saying. :glare:

Thanks kid.

#20 Mistake Not...

Mistake Not...

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

Thanks kid.

I'm 36 yrs old and just got called a kid.. lol.. made my day.

#21 krwills

krwills

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Instead of flour I use instant mashed potato flakes. I use the loaded baked potato ones, and it makes them pretty darned good.
The postings you may read may not always be the thoughts of both owners..

Posted Image

#22 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

Who needs a knife???

Ingredients
2 pounds beef bottom round, trimmed of excess fat
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon drippings
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Dredge the pieces of meat on both sides in the flour. Tenderize the meat, using a needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Dredge in the flour again and set aside.

Add enough of the vegetable oil or bacon fat to just cover the bottom of a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a plate and repeat until all of the steaks have been browned.

Remove the last steaks from the pot and add the chicken broth and thyme and whisk until the liquid just comes to a boil. Return the steaks to the pot and make sure they are all submerged in the liquid. Cover the pot and place it in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender and falling apart.

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics