Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo

Morality as taught in the IVY LEAGUE - FOR REAL

2 replies to this topic

Poll: Moral mind twisters (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Suppose we have to choose between building a new sports stadium and building a new hospital. Should we build the stadium if there are many more sports fans than sick people? What about the sick people? Aren’t we sacrificing their interests?

1. They built sports stadiums in Rome, If it is good enough for Ceasar, its good enough for me (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. We should build the hospital first (10 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

3. Build them both, it is only money (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Suppose we have $1 million of government money. We can use it either to build a new school for one thousand children, or to buy one million ice cream cones for one million children. Should we buy the ice cream cones, if that would produce the greatest b

1. I scream, you scream we all scream for Ice Cream! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. The school is an investment, We can teach the kids how to make ice cream (11 votes [78.57%])

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

3. Build the school for 900 kids and give away 100,000 ice cream cones (3 votes [21.43%])

What if the majority of the members of a community derive pleasure from being racist? Should we let them be racist, if that would produce the greatest balance of pleasure? Are some pleasures objectionable?

1. Ignorance is bliss - let the bigots be happy (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. A bigoted society is a failing society headed in the wrong direction (6 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. Freedom of speech and thought is embued in the individual (8 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Suppose you have to move to Boston or to Las Vegas. If you move to Boston, you’ll fall in love and get married. If you move to Vegas, you’ll get rich but stay single. Should you move to Vegas, if being rich gives you more pleasure? Are all pleasures comm

1. Show me the money - Vegas (3 votes [21.43%])

2. I love my honey - take me home, country roads (11 votes [78.57%])

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

Are all pleasures commensurable? (equal)

1. Selfless pleasures are superiod (9 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. Selfish pleasures rock (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

ohn Stuart Mill, a utilitarian, says that we should protect individual rights because, in the long run, that is the best way to increase the sum of happiness. Is that true? Is that really the reason why you shouldn’t imprison and torture innocent people?

1. Yes, respecting individual rights is the best path to happiness (10 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. No, promoting societal growth and community will create the most happiness (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,432 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

This is the second in the series of internationally acclaimed philosophy lectures. According to Thomas Friedman in his OP-ED piece about Mr. Sandel, attendance at his lectures in China were being scalped on Net for $500 a ticket.

Now he's no rock star, but he does a great job of leading the type of discussion that gets one thinking about what is morally right and wrong in the secular sense of the word. In this lecture the idea presented is that concept of the greatest good for the greatest number is an idea that is compatible with individual rights, which is one of the main points of utilitarian philosopher John Stuart Mill.

Here is episode 2:

Here is the beginner study guide:

#2 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,938 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:58 AM

Thank's PUBBY.

You ROCK>

I appreciate this, and I hope it lasts. :drinks:
"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#3 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,938 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

If a person spends his/her life with an attitude that instant gratification is more important than higher pleasures; they have little education, and has little appreciation for life.

Edited by The Postman, 22 July 2011 - 11:56 AM.

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics