Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
em1973

Anybody had kidney stones before?

I am having pain on my right side and back, its the lower part. I couldnt even sleep on that side last night, it started out on my side and now its there and my back. I dont really feel like I have to go to bathroom more than usual and when i do i havent noticed it hurting. this pain is constant. Was wondering if anyone has had a kidney stone and if this is the pain you had. Or what else this could be, not fun here, im hurting and dont know what to do.

Hubby and daughter regularly have stones and this sounds like a kidney or bladder infection. Kidney stone pain is normally excruciating and unbearable. I hope you feel better.

Are you sure it's not your appendix? Do you still have yours?

Yes still have, pretty sure its not appendix from what ive read, it says usually the pain is close to belly button for appendix and luckily no pain there. But im not 100% sure

Are you nauseous?

Can you touch your nose to your knees?

If the answers are yes & no (in that order), it really could be your appendix.

Appendix pain can be other places, not just by the belly button. I know, mine wasn't even close to that location.

Are you nauseous?

Can you touch your nose to your knees?

If the answers are yes & no (in that order), it really could be your appendix.

Appendix pain can be other places, not just by the belly button. I know, mine wasn't even close to that location.

So yes feeling nauseous, but yes can touch my nose to my knee. Where was your pain??

I've had a couple of stones in my youth :) It is a dull, continuous pain in the general area you suggest. Appendicitis would be a sharp pain particularly sensitive to touch where as this is more like the world's worst cramp.

The last one I had was in the mid-1990s and I ended up going to the ER where they gave me something for the pain ... ultimately passed the stones ... which was eased by the drugs which relaxed things.

Hence, I'd recommend you go to the ER, they'll treat you and hopefully the stones will pass while you're there. (I remember after about an hour or two of relaxation, taking a wiz through a filter and seeing a couple of the iddy biddy things (stones). After they observed those and saw that I was feeling better, I was discharged although because of the narcotics, was not allowed to drive home - It was tough but I did drive to the ER.

pubby

I've had a couple of stones in my youth :) It is a dull, continuous pain in the general area you suggest. Appendicitis would be a sharp pain particularly sensitive to touch where as this is more like the world's worst cramp.

The last one I had was in the mid-1990s and I ended up going to the ER where they gave me something for the pain ... ultimately passed the stones ... which was eased by the drugs which relaxed things.

Hence, I'd recommend you go to the ER, they'll treat you and hopefully the stones will pass while you're there. (I remember after about an hour or two of relaxation, taking a wiz through a filter and seeing a couple of the iddy biddy things (stones). After they observed those and saw that I was feeling better, I was discharged although because of the narcotics, was not allowed to drive home - It was tough but I did drive to the ER.

pubby

Thats what it is, dull continious pain. Dang I dont wanna go to ER but it looks like thats where Ill be soon, and its my birthday!! What a great bday present, kidney stones and no AC!!! What a day! Thank you for the advice!!

I had one several years ago, on Christmas Day. The pain is what you have described, but it can become an excruciating pain. It is probably best to to go to the ER and have it checked out. Trust me, if the Dr can give you something to ease the pain you will definitely want that. Personally, I don't like pain meds because of how loopy they make me feel, but when I was having the pain I was having, those things were nice to have available. The stone I had would not pass, too large, and required a lithotripsy procedure to break it up. Best wishes to you and I hope you start feeling better soon.

I've had kidney stones, but it was many years ago and I don't remember the pain very well. I did however go through a ruptured appendix with my husband that almost killed him a few years ago.

You need to get to an emergency room. His pain was in his lower right part of his belly and his back. Belly pain is VERY worrisome.

I had a kidney stone last year. For several hours I had lower back discomfort, not really pain, just a dull ache. then when I layed down in bed that night it hit with severe pain in my abdomen like a knife! Could not hardly walk or anything. Went to ER and they gave me some meds and I relaxed and pain went away and passed it right there in the ER. NEVER wish anyone to have those!!

Hubby and daughter regularly have stones and this sounds like a kidney or bladder infection. Kidney stone pain is normally excruciating and unbearable. I hope you feel better.

Yep. It is quite possibly, the worst pain I have ever had!! Gone through child birth, too many female issues and let me tell you- kidney stones make you want to die.

I've had more than 20 kidney stones. The smaller ones that I could/did pass were excruciating while they were in the ureter (the tube from the kidney to the bladder). Once they are in the bladder, they will pass with not much discomfort. The pain you are describing sounds like a larger stone that may still be in the kidney. The stone may have blocked the "drain" into the ureter, and the kidney is filling with urine, thus the pain. I found that if I laid on a sofa and threw my leg (on the affected side) up and over the back of the sofa, I could position myself in a way that the stone would move away from the ureter opening and the urine would again flow to the bladder. Then I could pee like a horse! If your urine is dark and has an odor, you need to push fluids. If the stone is too large to leave the kidney, be prepared to have it "blasted" with a lithotripsy machine.

My uro is Dr. Thomas Schoborg, MD who has a great personality and is a fine doc.

I am having pain on my right side and back, its the lower part. I couldnt even sleep on that side last night, it started out on my side and now its there and my back. I dont really feel like I have to go to bathroom more than usual and when i do i havent noticed it hurting. this pain is constant. Was wondering if anyone has had a kidney stone and if this is the pain you had. Or what else this could be, not fun here, im hurting and dont know what to do.

SOUNDS LIKE GALLSTONES

So yes feeling nauseous, but yes can touch my nose to my knee. Where was your pain??

I could touch nose to knee too, but everyone asked me as it is a "classic symptom".

My pain was between ovary and hip bone, low on the torso and was steady too.

But I think I'd lean towards you to have kidney or gallstones, but I don't play a DR on pcom or anywhere else.

Get to an ER if it is "intense" or get into your GP tomorrow.

Hope you find a solution and answer soon!

I'm going with gallstones too! I had both and your pain sounds like it could be either but if you still have your gall bladder, it may be that. See a dr. Only way to find out.

The pain could be gallstones, kidney stones, or appendix but it requires a trip to the ER none the less. If it is your appendix that can get bad fast. If it is kidney stones it will get worse and then better. If it is gallstones it can come and go but needs to be seen to. Good luck and I am sorry that this is happening on your birthday.

If you feel like you are passing a basketball thru your urethra, it's a kidney stone. :lol: Them suckers HURT!

Most women who have had them say it is worse than childbirth.

I know its not gallstones, had them before and had gallbladder taken out and that pain was AWFUL!!! Im gona try to hold out for the Doc tomorrow, I have some left over pain medicine that I had forgotten about till just now when hubby reminded me so took some of that, hoping it will help. This is miserable. I dont know about the childbirth, son was a csection, never had labor pains :) but I know this is not fun. I can function..not as good as normal but im not layed up yet. Thank you all for the info. it is very scary when you have a pain like this and dont know exaclty what it is. Thats why hearing other peoples stories, helps me a great deal.

I have had several kidney stones. When I had my first, the pain felt like a pulled muscle at first. Then the pain started to get worse. I had the dull ache for over 24 hours before it got horrible. I did not know what it was so I rushed to the hospital. The doctor said that it only hurt real bad when it is trying to move. Hang in there. Hope you feel better.

I have had several kidney stones. When I had my first, the pain felt like a pulled muscle at first. Then the pain started to get worse. I had the dull ache for over 24 hours before it got horrible. I did not know what it was so I rushed to the hospital. The doctor said that it only hurt real bad when it is trying to move. Hang in there. Hope you feel better.

Thank you. Yep it has felt like a pulled muscle. That pain med helped, maybe ill sleep ok tonight! Ill hang in there hopefully it will pass soon!!

My husband has had several of kidney stones.. he has passed most of them on his own. but they are painful and he can always tell when he is about to pass one.

Good luck