Paulding.com

An alternative idea for mud-bogging

Is this a feasible way to keep mudbogging a Paulding Pursuit?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Would you favor the county allowing the construction of a mud-bogging course on public forest land in west Paulding

• Definitely Yes
    • Yes if it could be worked out
    • Worth exploring but probably not
    • No but really I don't care
    • Heck NO!
    • Undecided

We're all aware of the likely issues that will come up this month regarding the Dallas Mud Bog and its residential neighbors.

Let me propose that this is just the kind of effort/opportunity and event that belongs in the acreage that the county purchased in the west end around the Paulding forest. The initial plans for that included alternate recreational opportunities and, if memory serves, some 25,000 acres generally available, why not funnel the funds and build the ideal mud bog course on these public lands.

This would be more feasible than asking the promoters of the event to invest over a half-million in improving roads in the area currently used for the mud bog and may provide a seriously improved facility for this emerging sport. Indeed, the course, if properly located, could be expandable.

The option being floated suggests that the promoters of the Dallas Mud bog be provided a long-term special purpose lease on suitable public property in the western area of the county and would be responsible for clearing the land and providing access to it for the world-class Georgia Mud Bog facility.

Presumably there is a spot in this vast area suitable for a mudbog that would allow the promoters to exercise their pioneering work in popularizing this new motorsport. Secondarily, the Mud Bog events could be encouraged to grow at such a location with little hindrance or issue from neighbors as the property is and would be quite isolated. Third, because there is a gate and folks do travel from far and near to attend and participate in Mud Bogs, this event will benefit the local economy. And finally, as this increased economic activity would benefit the county both directly (a lease payment based on the gate) and indirectly (increased economic activity in the community due to visits/poplarization of the event) the taxpayers may even be able to avoid having to pay millage on the $30 million or so bond issue we ponied up to buy the raw forest land in the first place.

I've not discussed this option with anyone but heck, I think mudbogging is a great new emerging sport that we in the community ought to support but I'm equally concerned that the present location, because of its proximity to an existing subdivision, is not ideal. I could see expanding operations there for maybe one or two years as site preparation and other actions are taken to enhance and popularize a new location for this innovative new motorsport in which the the county currently holds a leadership position.

Bottom line, before we go all ballistic, lets think and see if there might not be a way to make this thing a win-win for all in the community.

pubby

It sounds like a good idea, but someone needs to investigate whether there are any Federal permits needed.

The first thing that comes to mind is where the water will come from for the 'mud.' If 'wetlands' are involved, the EPA will get involved and they have the power to shut this down.

(In fact, they could probably shut the current one down if the conditions aren't right.)

I will never support the idea of mud bogging on the wma......The DNR will never support it either.

At one time,before Paulding Forest was expanded to what it is now,folks used to ride the old logging roads and tear the place up.Now there are gates and berms in place to stop it.The use of ATV's is illegal on the forest,even during deer hunts most gates stay closed and we walk in.

Raccoon and Pumpkinvine creeks run thru the wma and are home to some kind of endangered darter.

How about holding a mudbog at the future reservoir site?.........Several hundred acres just sitting there.

If this is near the Paulding Forest WMA you're probably going to meet with opposition from hunters. I know there is usually a Christmas Eve and New Years Eve ride...that's hunting season. Just food for thought.... :pardon:

YEARS ago, Thats where the christmas eve and new years eve ride was held. It was nothing organized, Just a line of trucks a mile long getting muddy.

If this is near the Paulding Forest WMA you're probably going to meet with opposition from hunters. I know there is usually a Christmas Eve and New Years Eve ride...that's hunting season. Just food for thought.... :pardon:

I'm just making a stereotypical comment here, but generally aren't the same folks out hunting the same ones out mud boggin'? :huh:

I'm just making a stereotypical comment here, but generally aren't the same folks out hunting the same ones out mud boggin'? :huh:

I will drive my truck thru the mud if I need to in order to get where im going, I dont go mudding just for the hell of it, I aint got the money to fix the stuff that gets broke.

I will drive my truck thru the mud if I need to in order to get where im going, I dont go mudding just for the hell of it, I aint got the money to fix the stuff that gets broke.

lol...ok ok...see I said I was stereotyping!

BTW

Paulding Forest is actually 2 tracts of land,10000 acres that belong to the city of Atlanta and the 9000 +/- acres that are under greenspace.

That is a lot of acreage! maybe there is a couple of acres close enough to the highway for this to work. I am not real familiar with the area I have seen it a couple of times on the map. I am saddened that the more I learn that this enterprise may not be viable where it is and I think the county may end up missing out on something big here.

Recently there have been efforts to increase tourism here, the movie business being one of them.

Something like this brings in 10's of thousands of folks for a weekend that will spend all over the county.

I am hoping that the homeowners don't think I am being callous towards their problems, I am not.

I work with businesses all the time and I keep up with the county.

Many people do not realize their relationship to local businesses and how those tax dollars control their quality of life.

Every business closure, every lay off effects every single person in this county.

No matter were you work or who you work for, there is a customer that pays that business, every lay off every closing is one less customer to a business.

It creates a chain reaction that effects every last one of us in some way or another.

Every last closed sign should upset all those that see it.

The way I see it is there is always going to be those few people who are going to complain anyways.

I, IMO, dont think that he should have to move from his own property to accommodate anyone. Its his property, he should be able to do as he pleases just as everyone else who owns property.

Like I said this is IMO!

:)

Nothing like a mudbog would be permitted in the greenspace area.......The way it was drawn up in the purchase agreement(as I understand) was that the county,state and federal gov.each bought 3000+/- acres with an easment onto each other,so that anything that happens must be agreed upon by all 3

well...I can understand that...Tow has a small fortune in guns...

I should just buy a cow and have it butchered every year, I would end up with more meat for less money, lease=$900 Food plots=300 plus fuel going back and forth all summer, fall and winter, food, hunting and trapping license, camping fees, and then all the gadgets and gizmos to go along with it. Deer meat sure is expensive! Heck I havent even killed one in 3 years, I let the boys shoot our meat and I trophy hunt only.

On the other hand how to I put a price tag on the time my boys get to spend with their papa doing something we all love?

• Like 1

I should just buy a cow and have it butchered every year, I would end up with more meat for less money, lease=$900 Food plots=300 plus fuel going back and forth all summer, fall and winter, food, hunting and trapping license, camping fees, and then all the gadgets and gizmos to go along with it. Deer meat sure is expensive! Heck I havent even killed one in 3 years, I let the boys shoot our meat and I trophy hunt only.

On the other hand how to I put a price tag on the time my boys get to spend with their papa doing something we all love?

Kinda makes you wonder how the Native Americans did it... :huh:

Sorry Kim this is just not how it works, land is zoned to maintain harmony between businesses and homeowners.

Many times you will see buffers of land between business and residential this is to maintain the quality of life for the homeowner and allow business to thrive in the same community.

The road access to businesses mostly come off of main highways to reduce traffic and the safety issues that come with large amounts of traffic.

The question is the mud bog is what is it.

If it is an event then accommodations have been made for an event just like all the rest of the events in the county.

At 12 times a year it becomes a business, therefore the land must become zoned for business, and all accommodations must be made just like any other business that is close to a residential zone..

We have discussed in the other thread if there is the possibility that changes can be made to have that type of business so close to a residential area.

If that won't work can we keep this growing business in our county, but in a different location?

Obviously you and many others support it and want it here, that makes it possible to have a thriving business here.

I am simply pointing out that there is good reason for zoning, people purchase their homes where they desire to live, some want to be 1/2 mile from shopping, others out away from it where it is quiet and they buy in good faith that the zoning will be maintained.

It is up to tour commissioners to maintain this good faith agreement and at the same time accommodate business in our county.

Getting angry at men doing their job is not the answer, helping the owner in any way possible to make this viable is the best answer.

Do you know anybody that owns 500 acres zoned commercial with satisfactory access? :)

• Like 1

They were killing machines and did not think about their future, Thats why the population decreased to almost zero and it has taken this long for it to recover.

lol what I meant was...they didn't have all those gadgets and gizmos...

Sorry Kim this is just not how it works, land is zoned to maintain harmony between businesses and homeowners.

Many times you will see buffers of land between business and residential this is to maintain the quality of life for the homeowner and allow business to thrive in the same community.

The road access to businesses mostly come off of main highways to reduce traffic and the safety issues that come with large amounts of traffic.

The question is the mud bog is what is it.

If it is an event then accommodations have been made for an event just like all the rest of the events in the county.

At 12 times a year it becomes a business, therefore the land must become zoned for business, and all accommodations must be made just like any other business that is close to a residential zone..

We have discussed in the other thread if there is the possibility that changes can be made to have that type of business so close to a residential area.

If that won't work can we keep this growing business in our county, but in a different location?

Obviously you and many others support it and want it here, that makes it possible to have a thriving business here.

I am simply pointing out that there is good reason for zoning, people purchase their homes where they desire to live, some want to be 1/2 mile from shopping, others out away from it where it is quiet and they buy in good faith that the zoning will be maintained.

It is up to tour commissioners to maintain this good faith agreement and at the same time accommodate business in our county.

Getting angry at men doing their job is not the answer, helping the owner in any way possible to make this viable is the best answer.

Do you know anybody that owns 500 acres zoned commercial with satisfactory access? :)

He could have a event once a month and just take a month off keeping the event totals to 11 :)

lol what I meant was...they didn't have all those gadgets and gizmos...

ohhh, they didnt have those tv shows to convince you that if you had their product you would kill a 52 pointer :rofl: :rofl:

He could have a event once a month and just take a month off keeping the event totals to 11 :)

ohhh, they didnt have those tv shows to convince you that if you had their product you would kill a 52 pointer :rofl: :rofl:

The growth of the event is the issue for local residents, and that is understandable.

It is also why it is very desirable to keep it going.

Exactly! :good:

Nothing like a mudbog would be permitted in the greenspace area.......The way it was drawn up in the purchase agreement(as I understand) was that the county,state and federal gov.each bought 3000+/- acres with an easment onto each other,so that anything that happens must be agreed upon by all 3

Deerslayer:

That would be difficult but not impossible. A portion of the City of Atlanta property, if I recall, was proposed to be the more developed portion of the greenspace including developed recreation areas involving equestrian venues, possibly motocross, etc.

I do think that Mayor Reed suggested the City of Atlanta was open to suggestions and working with the local government/community and may be open to such a venture.

Bottom line, I'm not saying it would be a cake walk, but given a little time, it is far from impossible.

pubby

PS: As far as the 'conflicts' with hunting; actually the noise and activity in one area tells you where the deer and turkey aren't. Since you don't want stray bullets in the vicinity of an event like that anyway, the fact that the wildlife from that area will leave that by definition increases the concentration in other areas.

pubby

Deerslayer:

That would be difficult but not impossible. A portion of the City of Atlanta property, if I recall, was proposed to be the more developed portion of the greenspace including developed recreation areas involving equestrian venues, possibly motocross, etc.

I do think that Mayor Reed suggested the City of Atlanta was open to suggestions and working with the local government/community and may be open to such a venture.

pubby

Yeah,that's the airport...............heck turn the airport into a mudbog,it was see more and better use

They were killing machines and did not think about their future, Thats why the population decreased to almost zero and it has taken this long for it to recover.

I think it had more to do with the White Man killing 97% of them and making the other 3% walk to Oklahoma more than the Native Americans over hunting. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure of this.

I think it had more to do with the White Man killing 97% of them and making the other 3% walk to Oklahoma more than the Native Americans over hunting. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure of this.

White AND black men..I will say the white men had larger numbers. Black men were call buffalo soldiers

If I'm reading this correctly, mudbogging is some sort of sport where you get in a big jacked up truck and drive through mud?

I'm not sure about the tourism piece, but if the Paulding County sherriff set up a DUI check point, I reckon it would be quite lucrative for the county!

Yeah, DGITW, it would be a sport where you get in a big jacked up truck and drive through mud just like in other motor sports you get in a car that kind looks like its stock and then drive it round and round a big oval hundreds of times before someone comes out and waves a flag or one where you get on a crotch rocket and drive over little hills flying into the air before landing going round a track as fast as you can.

The difference between the one with mud is that most cars just get bogged down and have to be pulled out.

pubby

If I'm reading this correctly, mudbogging is some sort of sport where you get in a big jacked up truck and drive through mud?

I'm not sure about the tourism piece, but if the Paulding County sherriff set up a DUI check point, I reckon it would be quite lucrative for the county!

You ain't just whistling dixie!

i promise if the Paulding County Sheriff set up a DUI check point near any local bar it would me alot more lucrative for the county.... I take it you have never been to a mud bog have you? If not, it really isn't fair for you to pass that kind of judgment really! Is it?

i roll threw the check point at roses store about every other month. each time its set up i dont see many people arrested. however, i dont know the numbers prior to me pulling up to it or going through it as i do not break laws in a motor vechical to be detained or asked questions.

i roll threw the check point at roses store about every other month. each time its set up i dont see many people arrested. however, i dont know the numbers prior to me pulling up to it or going through it as i do not break laws in a motor vechical to be detained or asked questions.

im the same way..... i make my living driving. so i know i obay all motor vehical laws as much as possible.

I think its a AWESOME idea! I love the mud and jacked up trucks.I love the mud boggs!!!! My vote is YES. THATS HOW US COUNTRY FOLKS ROLL LOL! !!! :)

Deerslayer:

Bottom line, I'm not saying it would be a cake walk, but given a little time, it is far from impossible.

pubby

Huge 4 wheel drive trucks causing erosion problems are not part of the greenspace design.A greenspace designation is very strict....I'm tellin ya,ain't gonna be no mud bog on the greenspace.

I don't have my greenspace map with me at the moment,but I don't believe any of the city of Atlanta tract is in the greenspace which is a 10,000 acre +/- tract.The state leases that tract of land and has it in the wma program.

So,if someone wanted a mudbog there,they would have to get the lease out from under the state.

No way the darter would survive the errosion and sedimet an eyesore like this would cause.

I think the onlly way it would fly is for private business to buy up about 10000 acres and then apply for zoning and permission for a park right in the middle of the property. There would be no neighbors to cry about noise, etc.

I don't think we have to worry about the city of Atlanta property becoming a mud bog or any of the other 25,000 acres.

It could be done but only if there is a strong enough will to make it happen. My belief is that there is too much of an adversarial relationship between the promoter and the county for anything to progress along those lines.

pubby

I don't think we have to worry about the city of Atlanta property becoming a mud bog or any of the other 25,000 acres.

It could be done but only if there is a strong enough will to make it happen. My belief is that there is too much of an adversarial relationship between the promoter and the county for anything to progress along those lines.

pubby

Please explain the adversarial relationship, I am unaware of what you areleading to.

Please explain the adversarial relationship, I am unaware of what you are leading to.

I was thinking of the conversation I had immediately after the zoning meeting in which Mr. Jones suggested that there was little interest by the promoter in doing anything other than what the promoter wanted to do. Then another person - I can't remember who it was - said that the promoter was not much of a negotiator and was hostile to most ideas coming from other folks.

Couple that with the idea that the negotiation ended badly ... i.e. the promoter didn't get what he wanted and was pretty openly upset suggesting taking the whole thing to Alabama ... just left me with that impression.

Certainly I would love to be proved wrong.

pubby