9 replies to this topic

#1 wenfen

wenfen

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:26 PM

My daughter turns 15 next week- here we go... :blink: . So I have started researching this online. Trying to figure out if Ga requires learners permitted drivers to have to be added to parents policy, or are they covered under parents policy until licensed, and thats when they have to be added? Or is it per your insurance co?

#2 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,151 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

no. insurance is only required for licensed drivers in the state of ga.

#3 fishnthec

fishnthec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

We had Progressive when my son got his permit and they wanted to raise our rates over 1,000.00 a year. We switched to USAA who didn't require insurance for learner's permits.

#4 firehouse

firehouse

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

Insurance only for licensed drivers. Once she gets her learners, call your insurance co & have her added as a driver. No extra cost. A whole nother story once they can drive by themselves!

#5 Dorifish

Dorifish

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

I am in the midst of this as we speak (type)....No, you do not have to add student with Learner's Permit to insurance. As long as they have their Learner's, you do not have to add them.....BUT the moment they get their full Driver's License, you MUST add them...AND you cannot remove them until they no longer live in your house or until they get their own policy. (I have State Farm and as long as DD has her Learner's (will be 2 yrs in July), I don't have to add her, but once she gets her License, I have to add her...and they told me that even if she messes up with grades and "I" take her License and she can't drive because of my punishment, she cannot be removed from the policy)
  • Jetasmom likes this

just keep swimmin' - swimmin' swimmin'

#6 Don Brown

Don Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

It is really company dependent. One company I represent requires all household members over the age of 14 to be listed on the policy, licensed or not. Most companies do not add any additional premium until they are licensed, but some do. You have to admit, a new driver, even with a parent in the vehicle, is more at risk of an accident than an experienced driver.

#7 firehouse

firehouse

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:26 AM

If you have a teen with a learner's permit you MUST add them to your policy as a driver if they will be driving your car. There is not any additional cost to add them as a driver as you the parent are the respnsible party while they are operating the vehicle. Should they have an accident it is imperative that they are listed on your policy as drivers.

#8 K96W8

K96W8

Icon

• +HELPINGHANDS MPX
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:59 AM

If you have a teen with a learner's permit you MUST add them to your policy as a driver if they will be driving your car. There is not any additional cost to add them as a driver as you the parent are the respnsible party while they are operating the vehicle. Should they have an accident it is imperative that they are listed on your policy as drivers.

Liberty Mutual did not add my kids with learner's permits. Rules may have changed--youngest is 17.

#9 jdb1985

jdb1985

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

The law does not require it, but some insurance companies require it. We had Geico and they tried raising our rates without telling us. I called and let them know that it was not required by law and they removed her.

#10 GGinGA

GGinGA

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:41 AM

We have State Farm and when my son got his learner's, I called and the agent told us not to add him until he gets a license. I asked what happened if he got in a wreck or a ticket and was told that whoever the adult was driving with him got the ticket, etc. He got his license last September and that's when we added him to our policy.
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne

If stress burned calories, I'd be a supermodel.

The Water Giver: "Motherhood is about raising and celebrating the child you have, not the child you thought you'd have. It's about understanding he's exactly the person he's supposed to be. And if you're lucky, he might be the teacher who turns you into the person you're supposed to be."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics