Paulding.com

Paulding to be camera ready, look out Hollywood

Camera-ready Paulding waits for its closeup

By Erik McNeal

emcneal@neighbornewspapers.com

Paulding County secured a state designation last month to make it a potential destination for film shoots and officials are seeking to add facilities to entice production companies to work in the county.

The designation, which says a county is “camera-ready,” is part of an effort by the state Department of Economic Development’s entertainment division to grow the film and television industry in Georgia. Eighty-nine counties have been given the designation since October.

“As part of getting the designation, it puts us on the state’s database to upload pictures of sites for filming locations for production companies to search the state’s database of counties that are camera-ready and find desired locations,” said Kevin Kirby, Paulding Chamber member services director and the county’s designated liaison for film productions.

A planned film studio in the county will allow Paulding to go beyond what is required for the state’s minimum designation requirements, said Post 3 County Commissioner Tommie Graham.

“Camera-ready requires a point of contact for production companies to have a place to go so that they know where they can shoot,” Graham said. “We took it a step further in developing the studio.”

Industrial Building Authority Chairman Ken Thigpen proposed a 40,000-square-foot Hiram film studio as part of a series of projects in January. The county Board of Commissioners approved the authority’s issuance of $8 million in bonds in March, which includes funding the film studio.

The building authority is expected to contract with Sherman Oaks, Calif.-based Roadtown Enterprises to serve as consultants on the studio’s construction and then manage the studio once it opens, Graham said.

Rest of the story here

• Like 1

This I am totally against,first of all there building it and hoping to get business. In the mean time the price tag is into the millions. This is plain stupid people. That industry is at an all time low and were hurting as a county but let's build and spend before we even get the customer. Why not get the business first then spend,this is very bad judgement$$$$$$how dumb can it be.:angry2:

• Like 2

Anyone have the inside track on movie tax credits? I know there is a program in place to give tax breaks to film companies that work in Georgia, or at least there used to be. A few years ago there was a chance to buy some of the movie credits to use on your own tax return. I was too late to take advantage and never quite understood how it worked. I would appreciate some info from someone in-the-know.

I don't know squat about the film industry, but I do know if you want to attract manufacturing companies, you need an inventory of buildings which could be available in 3-4 months to rent.

Simply a "Build it and they will come".

The Robber Barons Mega Developers understood this for the housing industry, and it works the same for manufacturers and warehousing firms.

As I understand it, this money includes building the infrastructure for an "A+" Industrial/Office Park on county land adjacent to Bill Carruth/Hiram Bypass and the Norfolk-Southern tracks, which are "At Grade" along that property, or easily accessible for rail sidings without moving a lot of dirt. This would include putting in the sewer, water, utilities, paving, and grading out lots.

This, along with the building they are proposing then opens the door for other commercial developers to put up other spec buildings without the expense of buildng the roads, etc., They don't have to pay the county for the land until they sell or rent the building. Yet they know the county is serious about this project because of the building they put in first. Paulding has a pretty bad reputation with the Atlanta Industrial Development guys as being very, very "Anti" Development. This would be kind of a "Show-Me" deal to prove the county is indeed serious about working hard to bring in jobs.

I can see on the movie side of things how downtown Dallas, and downtown Hiram could both be well used as backdrop sets for older towns. The Dallas theater is a classic re-do of a 1950s small town movie theater. And Hiram could be anywhere from Civil War era through the 1940s, etc.

For the 28 years we have been here, NOTHING has been done in all seriousness to bring in industry. Now, at least this is a step in the right direction.

So maybe they should build the studio closer to the airport.

and next to the studio, which will be next to the airport, I say we build a zoo. No need to worry about stocking it with animals, we'll just wait til they wander their way in. 8)

• Like 2

and next to the studio, which will be next to the airport, I say we build a zoo. No need to worry about stocking it with animals, we'll just wait til they wander their way in. 8)

No need to wait for them to wander in, they can ride the new high tech space age technology propulsion transportation of the paulding tunnel system. I hear they should be open soon.

Love it. Tho we will need to make sure it does not interfere with the tunnel entrance.

My husband works in the movie industry. This industry spent 1.2 billion dollars in Georgia last year. Georgia has voted to extend their tax credits for an additional 4 years. This promises to bring a good bit of business to Georgia. Other states that were competing for the business have placed caps on their credits which will drive business away. The film makers love Georgia for many reasons. The other cities and counties that have gone camera ready have really profited from this. If the county handles it correctly and markets itself well, this could be a good thing for Paulding as well. The tax credits are tiered in order to help Georgia residents. They have to employ a certain numbers of residents in order to get top tiers.

What a joke. This is just as good as the 130 acre industrial park. Everything being built on a speculative basis. Rome has a giant industrial park and I was just up there and it's about 90 percent unoccupied. The politicians are a day late and a dollar short. This county is truely ran by a bunch of huckleberries. Just wondering who their friends and relatives are that own these properties. Airport One big farce. The peopleof this county continue to elect the inept to run it.As long as good old boy politics continue Paulding County will be nothing but a hick county.

• Like 1

What a joke. This is just as good as the 130 acre industrial park. Everything being built on a speculative basis. Rome has a giant industrial park and I was just up there and it's about 90 percent unoccupied. The politicians are a day late and a dollar short. This county is truely ran by a bunch of huckleberries. Just wondering who their friends and relatives are that own these properties. Airport One big farce. The peopleof this county continue to elect the inept to run it.As long as good old boy politics continue Paulding County will be nothing but a hick county.

Now lets be nice. I am SURE that one day the airport will be put to good use. Right after the tunnels are finished probably.:ninja:

What would you do better or different, would you run for office?

I am just saying someone has to make decisions. There has to be leadership, it is easy to criticize and plenty of critics.

It is a very small minority what is willing to make decisions and take the heat, nothing has a guarantee of success.

If you do nothing I guess there is nothing to criticize, I guess if you do nothing there is little risk of failure.

Politicians are elected to spend tax money. I would rather risk the money on something that might produce money and see it fail than see the money go into another money pit like a park.

Basic business,get the contracts then build. We are doing it backwards,spend millions and hope the business comes. In the mean time where did the money come from to build this? Tell the workers you furlough that there on camera. Look investing is good but those jobs they promise are short & temporary.dry.gif

Basic business,get the contracts then build. We are doing it backwards,spend millions and hope the business comes. In the mean time where did the money come from to build this? Tell the workers you furlough that there on camera. Look investing is good but those jobs they promise are short & temporary.dry.gif

Well my husband made almost 6 figures with those short temporary jobs for the last 2 years. And his aunt made over 6 figures.

Judging by the amount of hair on the one womans legs that was at the fulton county airport during the filming of We are Marshal you will have something for a gorilla exhibit.

Judging by the amount of hair on the one womans legs that was at the fulton county airport during the filming of We are Marshal you will have something for a gorilla exhibit.

You sure that wasn't one of those creatures that your night vision camera snapped a picture of from Northern Paulding a while back? :yahoo:

Well my husband made almost 6 figures with those short temporary jobs for the last 2 years. And his aunt made over 6 figures.

Well good show me the money that the common people will make,and your family that mad over six figures good for them. Now reality,where is the jobs that will spawn from this film to nowhere? Give examples of who will make what money?:drinks:

we have already had a few movies done in paulding county, seems its mostly for outdoor scenes. i think having an actual studio in the county would mean they could film other scenes during poor weather conditions and may stay to film longer since there would be a suitable place to do so. its not like there is no interest in filming here and they are building it, that would be a terrible decision. however, with the having had some of the business already, i think it is a good move. and who is to say it could not be used for other purposes while there isnt any filming? i have never been to a studio, but i would imagine it would be an acceptable type of place to rent for special events.

What would you do better or different, would you run for office?

I am just saying someone has to make decisions. There has to be leadership, it is easy to criticize and plenty of critics.

It is a very small minority what is willing to make decisions and take the heat, nothing has a guarantee of success.

If you do nothing I guess there is nothing to criticize, I guess if you do nothing there is little risk of failure.

Politicians are elected to spend tax money. I would rather risk the money on something that might produce money and see it fail than see the money go into another money pit like a park.

Building on speculation is is not the way to go. It seems like little thought was put into this idea. No quick access to I75 or I20, very few small companies ship by rail. Again the industrial park in Rome is mainly unoccupied. This should have been done years ago not now with rising fuel costs and dwindling economy. Yes politicians are paid to spend money not waste it. This is not the time to WASTE money on speculation. Take the 4 mil and go to Vegas and play Blackjack then. I also heard the county was offered money by the National Guard to use the airport, but the residents surrounding the airport put the Kabash to it because it would be too noisey. I guess when we develope silent aircraft the FARCE AIRPORT will be put to use, in the mean time maybe we can use it as a dragstrip. OOOPS too noisey.

Well good show me the money that the common people will make,and your family that mad over six figures good for them. Now reality,where is the jobs that will spawn from this film to nowhere? Give examples of who will make what money?:drinks:

My husband is one of the common folks. He drives. They also hire carpenters and electricians to name a few. Just because they haven seen the great wisdom in hiring you does not mean they don't hire the common folks around. They employee hundreds of Georgian every year.

Building on speculation is is not the way to go. It seems like little thought was put into this idea. No quick access to I75 or I20, very few small companies ship by rail. Again the industrial park in Rome is mainly unoccupied. This should have been done years ago not now with rising fuel costs and dwindling economy. Yes politicians are paid to spend money not waste it. This is not the time to WASTE money on speculation. Take the 4 mil and go to Vegas and play Blackjack then. I also heard the county was offered money by the National Guard to use the airport, but the residents surrounding the airport put the Kabash to it because it would be too noisey. I guess when we develope silent aircraft the FARCE AIRPORT will be put to use, in the mean time maybe we can use it as a dragstrip. OOOPS too noisey.

Not 4 million but 8 million,we know how that goes it will end up 10-15 million due to increase costs. So tell me where this is the right thing to do?

My husband is one of the common folks. He drives. They also hire carpenters and electricians to name a few. Just because they haven seen the great wisdom in hiring you does not mean they don't hire the common folks around. They employee hundreds of Georgian every year.

Hundreds of georgia folks,at a cost of 8 million plus up keep of the studio set. That still doesn't equal out plus that is if it is selected. Now if your husband makes 6 figures a year or event to drive,then where can anybody else apply. Look this is a studio to no where. It has no future promise from the industry,or companies to use it. It is all on a hope and promise.

And if there hired it is for a very short time while,Agnes Scott colledge was used to film scream. I was there with the sound company. It was a remote for 3 days only. That isn't stable income,3 days out of the year sorry I won't buy it.:closedeyes:

I have to take issue with several erroneous statements here:

The ONLY means to attract existing concerns, manufacturers, warehousers, etc., is indeed with spec buildings. They want to visit, see a building which suits there needs, makes some modificiations and changes, sign a lease, and move in 90 to 120 days later. They do NOT want to build or own, simply lease and generally time is of the essences. Same as Paulding Builders did for the housing industry.

90% of the goods shipped further than 300 miles in the USA go by rail. Virtually 100% of the international container traffic to, and from the ports is via rail. In essence, the Powder Springs Intermodal Yard is a deep water port, handling enormus volumes of containers via Wilmington, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, Mobile, New Orleans and Houston.

In addition, containers coming to or leaving from Okland/San Fran also come across the USA via Rail.

Now, personnally, I do not know anything about the movie industry. But I do know we have 2 cities which because of the manner in which the "Old Timey" downtowns were restored and rennovated offer ideal locations for movies set back in time to the 1920s through now. And I guess you could put dirt on the streets and have them go back further.

And, I know Georgia is a movie friendly state with nice tax incentives for production facilities here.

Now, as far as the industrial park:

At present with all the miles of rail through Paulding, we have like 2 exisiting rail siding sites. Most have been used to build houses instead. The site on Bill Corrupt Parkway is ideal, and the money to build the spec studio is also going to be providing for the infrastructure for a complete park. Sewer, utilities, roads, grading.

This will allow the county to offer building sites to other developers to erect buildings on which they would buy or lease from the county when they obtain a tenant. And, if they are unable to find a tenant for the "Studio" building itself, I am certain it could be used for warehousing or light manufacturing as well.

The point is, we do not have a nice industrial park to offer buildings in with reasonable dock height access for tractor-trailers and high ceilings. This would be a step in the right direction. And with rail siding lots available it does offer usable sites for companies needing rail.

It is indeed a "Build it and they will come" set up, and if you continue on as we have in the past with nothing available, they will NOT come. A NICE industrial/office park with good codes and restrictions on what can and cannot be built will show the other private developers in Metro Atlanta that Paulding has indeed finally recognized the need to have industry and is willing to work hand and hand WITH them instead of throwing up roadblocks as was done in the past.

The airport is at least a check off item in the positive column, versus having to drive to Charlie Brown or Kennesaw. Will they ever be able to fully develop the area around it....? Hard to say because of the topography, but there are indeed many companies who want to have an airfield nearby to bring customers in and out who are not needing to go via major cities with hub airports.

I have to take issue with several erroneous statements here:

The ONLY means to attract existing concerns, manufacturers, warehousers, etc., is indeed with spec buildings. They want to visit, see a building which suits there needs, makes some modificiations and changes, sign a lease, and move in 90 to 120 days later. They do NOT want to build or own, simply lease and generally time is of the essences. Same as Paulding Builders did for the housing industry.

90% of the goods shipped further than 300 miles in the USA go by rail. Virtually 100% of the international container traffic to, and from the ports is via rail. In essence, the Powder Springs Intermodal Yard is a deep water port, handling enormus volumes of containers via Wilmington, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, Mobile, New Orleans and Houston.

In addition, containers coming to or leaving from Okland/San Fran also come across the USA via Rail.

Now, personnally, I do not know anything about the movie industry. But I do know we have 2 cities which because of the manner in which the "Old Timey" downtowns were restored and rennovated offer ideal locations for movies set back in time to the 1920s through now. And I guess you could put dirt on the streets and have them go back further.

And, I know Georgia is a movie friendly state with nice tax incentives for production facilities here.

Now, as far as the industrial park:

At present with all the miles of rail through Paulding, we have like 2 exisiting rail siding sites. Most have been used to build houses instead. The site on Bill Corrupt Parkway is ideal, and the money to build the spec studio is also going to be providing for the infrastructure for a complete park. Sewer, utilities, roads, grading.

This will allow the county to offer building sites to other developers to erect buildings on which they would buy or lease from the county when they obtain a tenant. And, if they are unable to find a tenant for the "Studio" building itself, I am certain it could be used for warehousing or light manufacturing as well.

The point is, we do not have a nice industrial park to offer buildings in with reasonable dock height access for tractor-trailers and high ceilings. This would be a step in the right direction. And with rail siding lots available it does offer usable sites for companies needing rail.

It is indeed a "Build it and they will come" set up, and if you continue on as we have in the past with nothing available, they will NOT come. A NICE industrial/office park with good codes and restrictions on what can and cannot be built will show the other private developers in Metro Atlanta that Paulding has indeed finally recognized the need to have industry and is willing to work hand and hand WITH them instead of throwing up roadblocks as was done in the past.

The airport is at least a check off item in the positive column, versus having to drive to Charlie Brown or Kennesaw. Will they ever be able to fully develop the area around it....? Hard to say because of the topography, but there are indeed many companies who want to have an airfield nearby to bring customers in and out who are not needing to go via major cities with hub airports.

The industrial park in Rome is largely unoccupied. In the state of the present economy I do not think it is wise at this point to build on speculation. Then how about attracting a mall developer to produce sales tax revenue? Sorry I do not think this is a good idea at this time, must of been thought about over a six pack of PBR and a mason jar of moonshine.