Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
jennilyn77

Anyone ever quit smoking cold turkey?

My ex did it! Said it is the only way to do it. He said all other ways just keep u dependent . He said he still wanted one after a meal and would sometimes reach to see if they were in his pocket but he said he was very happy he quit. He said everything smelled and tasted better. He actualy hated to smell smoke after he quit. Lol

I have never been a smoker, but my wife quit cold turkey 3 years ago and has never smoked since. She was physically forced to quit when she became very sick with a flu virus that gave her bronchitis. She was on the verge of pneumonia and realized she had to stop in order to breathe. The first few days were hell for her, but after she became well she basically thought that after making it that far she could keep going and has never smoked again. It was extremely difficult for her after smoking 20 years, added with the chaos that I had just been diagnosed with cancer weeks earlier and she was dealing with that issue. She tells me that even today there is a time here and there when an urge hits for a moment, but she will not go back. You have to remember, it's an addiction. She has always exercised, but after quitting, I saw her cardio performance go way up. She's a tough woman and I'm very proud of her. There are numerous web sites that are supportive in nature as well, with forums and chat rooms. My wife found one to be great during that time. It's important that your loved ones support you and try to understand. I wish you the best.

Edited by HiPlainsDrifter

I QUIT A LITTLE OVER THREE YEARS AGO WITH THE HELP OF CHANTIX.MY HUSBAND QUIT NOT LONG AFTER BUT HE DID IT COLD TURKEY. MAKE A LIST OF THE PROS AND CONS OF SMOKING. PUT YOUR CIGARETTE MONEY IN A JAR AND DREAM ABOUT WHAT YOU WILL REWARD YOURSELF WITH. AND I AGREE, IT IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, SO TELL YOURSELF THAT FROM DAY ONE.LITERALLY TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME.AND GOOD LUCK TOU.YOU CAN DO IT . WE ARE ROOTING FOR YOU!!!!

I'll be 34 next month. I started smoking at the age of 14. I've almost been a smoker for 20 years. That scares me. I need to quit. Not only for health reasons but for financial reasons. Given the financial reasons part, chantix & the vapor thingys are not an option. I know a lot of you have had positive results with the e-cig but it's not for me. I'm as much addicted to the hand to mouth movement as I am to the nicotene and I want to break all habits. I've tried patches in the past and had a little success but obviously it didn't last. Since having my baby I realize more and more how I want to be here for my kids as long as humanly possible and it really is time to quit. I watched my grandmother die of emphysema about 5 years ago and it was horrible. I don't want to put my kids through that. So if anyone has any tips, advice, success stories I would love to hear them. TIA.

I quit cold turkey Nov 27th last year after 40 years of smoking! I had tried every stop smoking pill patch e cig the whole nine yards! Habit is the hardest to break not the nicotine. Change habits each day like if you get up and lit up change that to get up and put it off as long as you can. Stop smoking in the house your car etc. I am so happy it does get easier day by day and in 2 weeks the smell is aweful! I sometimes want a cig then the thought leaves me as fast as it came to me. GoodLuck!

I once asked a woman if she smoked after sex and she said, "I never looked down to see". :) Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in trying to beat a tough addiction.

LOL....I am not feeling great; when I first read the statement, my thoughts were "why would someone smoke cold turkey??"

Seriously, my prayers are with you...cigarette smoking shortened my Dad's life...he tried to quit several times but when a tough situation arose, he started back. If you have someone who can help you, a mentor or just someone who understands, I think it would be helpful.

Thanks So much everyone for the support! I set a quit date for Tuesday. I added this post to my favorites so I can read it when I need inspiration. You people are awesome! :)

Edited by jenilyn

Thanks So much everyone for the support! I set a quit date for Tuesday. I added this post to my favorites so I can read it when I need inspiration. You people are awesome! :)

Cinnamon can help with withdrawal and cravings. I kept a bag of Cinnamon Fire Jolly Ranchers on hand.

I'll be 34 next month. I started smoking at the age of 14. I've almost been a smoker for 20 years. That scares me. I need to quit. Not only for health reasons but for financial reasons. Given the financial reasons part, chantix & the vapor thingys are not an option. I know a lot of you have had positive results with the e-cig but it's not for me. I'm as much addicted to the hand to mouth movement as I am to the nicotene and I want to break all habits. I've tried patches in the past and had a little success but obviously it didn't last. Since having my baby I realize more and more how I want to be here for my kids as long as humanly possible and it really is time to quit. I watched my grandmother die of emphysema about 5 years ago and it was horrible. I don't want to put my kids through that. So if anyone has any tips, advice, success stories I would love to hear them. TIA.

Tried to send you a PM, it says you can't recieve new messages.