Paulding.com

TAX INCREASES BEING PROPOSED!

During the past several weeks, Many proposed tax increases are being discussed under the GOLD DOME, Are you aware how this will affect your family and your budget?

With so many Georgia families struggling to make ends meet, Now is not the time to raise taxes.

Here are three articles that discuss the proposed tax increases

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/lawmakers-talk-tradeoffs-861637.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/proposal-would-raise-satellite-860490.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/tire-fee-bill-advances-863003.html

The big deal, Whitey, is that the hard-core Republicans want to go more toward a sales or consumption tax and to make that work means that groceries as well as services and even direct sales by individuals like cars are included.

They want to do this because this kind of change in the tax base takes more of the burden off the wealthy and places it on the middle class and poor.

from the article:

“I would like to see a greater reduction in income taxes and a move solely toward a consumption tax,” said Rep. Tim Bearden, R-Villa Rica. “I would like to basically see an elimination of the income tax.”

Opponents say the tradeoff would result in the poor and lower middle class paying more in taxes.

When the burden shifts to the lower income folks, the wealthy rejoice in another victory in their quest to let the rest of us fund government and give them a free ride.

pubby

I am excited about my state income tax bracket moving from 6 to 4%. Allowing more people to share in the tax burden is best for those that are currently paying taxes. The "consumption" type tax allows all that purchase goods and services to help with the costs of running government.

The big deal, Whitey, is that the hard-core Republicans want to go more toward a sales or consumption tax and to make that work means that groceries as well as services and even direct sales by individuals like cars are included.

They want to do this because this kind of change in the tax base takes more of the burden off the wealthy and places it on the middle class and poor.

from the article:

When the burden shifts to the lower income folks, the wealthy rejoice in another victory in their quest to let the rest of us fund government and give them a free ride.

pubby

Not sure how a consumption tax takes the burden off the wealthy. They would no longer get to use all those loopholes and deductions. Also, they consume on a higher scale than the rest of us so they would still pay more, unless my math is wrong.

I am excited about my state income tax bracket moving from 6 to 4%. Allowing more people to share in the tax burden is best for those that are currently paying taxes. The "consumption" type tax allows all that purchase goods and services to help with the costs of running government.

Are you excited about this?

Scroll down to page 12 and let's see how excited you remain.

http://fiscalresearch.gsu.edu/taxcouncil/downloads/Presentation%20to%20the%20Joint%20Comm%202%202%2011%20v2003.pdf

Are you still excited after losing all of your tax deductions? And having to pay more for groceries and other services,not presently taxed.

Pubby--Quit posting your made up lies about the fair tax. Shifting the burden away from the rich doesn't make sense. What you fail to mention if the fact that we will get all our money for the work WE do and WE will decide where our taxes go. NOT WASHINGTON or the GOLD DOME. Of course a flaming liberal like yourself loves the gov't control and that is what you should have posted.

I will believe ANY tax decrease when I see it. I think the Capitol is a wretched hive of scum and villainy, regardless of party affiliation. :angry2: I think they're going to do some shuffling, some softshoe, and some fancy words, and when all is said and done, we'll be paying MORE taxes (whatever the kind), and little to no cuts will have been made. :angry2:

from the article:

pubby

um, no. it places it on the illegals who aren't paying taxes in the first place, but who are buying goods.

• Like 4

Maybe they need to put a sales tax on web-site membership fees!

I believe you will see this in the not too distant future, as well as on other services and user fees as well like haircuts, doctors/dentist visits, lawnmoving/landscaping, and the list goes on and on and on.

Bottom line is those wealthy enough to do heavy investments, capital venture projects, multihouse owndership with some rented, etc. all take advantage of a myriad of tax deductions and loopholes to the point they actually pay less income tax than a server in a midscale eating joint.

And they even write off the cost of paying the accountant to prepare the returns.

Percentage wise, they pay a teeny-tiny slice of their income for food, utilities, living expenses, etc.

Where as someone in the lower 25% earnings bracket pays virtually ALL of their income into their basic living expenses. Hence, they end up paying a substantially larger percentage of their earnings on these consumer taxes.

But it is our system......don't 'ya just love it?!?!

I do :drinks:

My income for 2010 was substantially higher than 2009. And my income for 2011 after 2 months, is going to be 10 times or so of 2010.

So HELL YES! Bring it on brother!:drinks:

Whitey, in my case, I would expect to have less tax burden.

I really do not know how, But if you do then good for you, I am proud for you, BUT................ This tax adjustment that is on the table will bring in one BILLION YEP ONE BILLION dollars in additional revenue to the State of Georbia Next year, And Someone has got to pay a Billion dollars more in taxes

um, no. it places it on the illegals who aren't paying taxes in the first place, but who are buying goods.

The special interest groups are the reason that the Illegals are paying no taxes, Why not treat all workers alike, If yopu work for someone they deduct State, Federal, And sometimes City and County taxes.

If EVERY EMPLOYER were required to deduct all taxes from an employees paycheck, Then this would eliminate the need for additional taxes from the rest of the working class.

A regressive tax impacts those less able to pay more is plain and utter fact.

Here is a definition: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/regressivetax.asp

BS: The impact of the sales tax on the poor is so great that the sponsors of the fair tax propose creating a massive bureaucracy to write a check to each tax payer to offset the sales tax charged for food, clothing and rent.

As far as the illegals allegedly avoiding taxation; employers should charge with-holding and social security for them just as if they were legal. Failure to do so - i.e. paying them off the books with cash - would most certainly provide evidence that the employer knew they were illegal and contribute to their guilt.

If they are collecting social security and with-holding tax from them (whether or not the SS# given was legit or not) is pretty much them paying those taxes except, unlike citizens, they would not be qualified for social security, disability or even a refund. In essence, they are paying taxes in those situations.

About the only one's who don't pay taxes are those who show up for day labor, crawl - no questions asked into the back of a pickup - and are hauled here or there to do grunt labor.

pubby

Right - all those that purchase goods and services. I see the decrease in my state tax that is not optional, which is good for me.

You must not of read the link that I posted??? If you take away all the exemptions Such as Mortage interest, Most people will still pay more taxes even with the percent cut. This is nothing but a shell game to collect ONE BILLION more dollars from the Georgia tax payers

Whitey, I have had detailed discussions with a representative on this one - in my case I feel that I will have more in my pocket at the end of the year. Long term vision is abolition of the state income tax. You'd be for that, wouldn't you?

Whitey, I have had detailed discussions with a representative on this one - in my case I feel that I will have more in my pocket at the end of the year. Long term vision is abolition of the state income tax. You'd be for that, wouldn't you?

I would be for the abolition of all taxes, But such is not a realistic approach, Nothing in this bili even mentions such a vision, Fact is the bill as written will not even assure a 2% by 2014.

Data shows that at the present time this bill will bring in 1 billion additional tax dollars/

The current tax being collected is $15.1 billion of which $7.3 billion is State income taxes and $5.3 billion is the current sales tax.

Did your friend by any chance tell you where the $ 7.3 Billion was going to come from?

So where is the Pre-bate?

I agree with Pubby, this will be very regressive if they don't also offset with a pre-bate. What scares me about this is that they will just start charging a sales tax and never actually do a pre-bate or so do away with the income tax. In the end we will all just be stuck with much higher and more regressive taxes.

I say if they want to experiment with the fair tax then they shouldn't sneak around and only do part of it, but instead do it openly and do it the way it is suppose to be done, with the prebate and not charge taxes on any used goods, etc.

Edited by ivylove

Investopedia explains Regressive Tax

"Some examples include gas tax and cigarette tax. For example, if a person has $10 of income and must pay $1 of tax on a package of cigarettes, this represents 10% of the person's income. However, if the person has $20 of income, this $1 tax only represents 5% of that person's income."

Of course what they fail to consider is if a person has $20 of income then they are more likely to buy twice as much as the person who has $10. If you have $100 income you are more likely to buy even more. Thus paying more in taxes or equal if based on their income percentage.

Either way they still pay the exact same amount of tax on the item that they buy. Liberals like to make you think that a low income person is some how going to have to pay MORE tax then the high income earner for the same item. It is just not factually true.

"Some examples include gas tax and cigarette tax. For example, if a person has $10 of income and must pay $1 of tax on a package of cigarettes, this represents 10% of the person's income. However, if the person has $20 of income, this $1 tax only represents 5% of that person's income."

Of course what they fail to consider is if a person has $20 of income then they are more likely to buy twice as much as the person who has $10. If you have $100 income you are more likely to buy even more. Thus paying more in taxes or equal if based on their income percentage.

Either way they still pay the exact same amount of tax on the item that they buy. Liberals like to make you think that a low income person is some how going to have to pay MORE tax then the high income earner for the same item. It is just not factually true.

Did I not read that they are adding a grocery tax to this?

The state also has major issues with receiving taxes already collected from those running double books and registers. I guess that one is dead in the water.

Making small businesses that that provide services is an extra burden on the small business owner.

The little people can't afford lobbyist to protect their interest, they have to depend on elected officials

yes, from all that purchase goods and services

Free Bird you are much smarter than that...I think The current .04 cent sales tax plus the additional taxes on services only provide 6.3 billion and the budget stil cannot be balanced at the current level.

To raise an additional 7.3 Billion to eliminate the State income tax would require a massive increase in the tax rates, in the area of .06 cents for a total sales tax rate for the state,County around .15 cents which would include the .02 cents proposed road tax increase for 2012.

What was your representive smoking?

Pan vet ... I'm sure Warren Buffet, whose income is in the millions per day, has to spend every bit of it on food.

No, they amass capital. They buy the national debt (that they subsequently paid interest on from your and my taxes), they invest in tax free municipal bonds, etc. etc.

To make the deal a little more realistic, lets take the guy who earns $400/week. Between rent, car payment, electricity, phone, food and gasoline - all of which would be spent on sales taxable goods and services - he spends all of it meaning his tax rate would be 7 percent on his $1,600 in monthly spending. He spends $112.00/month in taxes.

Now lets take the average CEO who earns 430 times as much on average as the lowest paid person in his company. His income is $172,000 a week. Lets assume he spends ten times as much on rent, car payment, electricity, phone, food and gasoline or $16,000/mo ... and pays 7 percent of that to the state for taxes (or $1,120 mo).

My goodness, you say, the wealthy man paid ten times as much tax as our $400/week warrior.

But the wealthy CEO, who earned 430 times the average workers wage, paid $1,120 taxes a month on his $739,600 monthly take home. That means his 'tax rate' is not the 7 percent of the $400/week warrior but .1514%

Yep, based on the measure of income, old CEO pays just over one-tenth of one-percent of his income on taxes while the $400/week warrior is paying that princely 7 percent of his income on taxes while the CEO; their tax rate is 50 times less at .15 percent despite buying ten times as much stuff.

If the tax were on income and it were the same flat 7 percent of warriors income it would be $112.00 a month for $400/wk warrior and $51,772 a month for the CEO.

So, our $400/week warrior doesn't save a dime by going to the 7 percent sales tax instead of the 7 percent income tax ... but even spending ten times as much as the 400WWarrior, the CEO saves over $50,000/mo with a sales tax instead of an income tax.

And that is why sales taxes are called and well understood to be a regressive taxes that favor the wealthy.

pubby

I still don't see how in the heck people think the poor will pay more? Common sense will tell you that rich have more money to spend than I do. They can have huge dinner parties and invite 50+ people. That means SOMEBODY has to go to the grocery store and buy food, and supplies and HIRE people to work those parties.... but hell, I guess me going and grabbing some steaks and having 5 people over is the same kind of party?

Oh, and if you smoke....you should be paying the stupid tax.

I prefer the consumption tax! Everyone pays! Legal or Illegal!

Seems to me it's only gonna hurt those selling goods and services ("the free market economy") when people buy less in order to pay more tax on the items they purchase & the services they need...they're not gonna do away with the income tax while they're trying to bring in ADDITIONAL MONEY. They'll implement the increase first, create their costly bureaucracy and then maybe reduce the income tax slightly.

How is that not increasing the size and scope of government?

I'm dismayed by the number of otherwise intelligent people who still believe anything any politician says. That's their skill, talking a lot without saying anything they might later be held accountable for in the most convincing manner possible.

Punitive taxes are as anti-free market as it gets, in my opinion, and just another form of the nanny state.

Seems to me it's only gonna hurt those selling goods and services ("the free market economy") when people buy less in order to pay more tax on the items they purchase & the services they need...they're not gonna do away with the income tax while they're trying to bring in ADDITIONAL MONEY. They'll implement the increase first, create their costly bureaucracy and then maybe reduce the income tax slightly.

How is that not increasing the size and scope of government?

I'm dismayed by the number of otherwise intelligent people who still believe anything any politician says. That's their skill, talking a lot without saying anything they might later be held accountable for in the most convincing manner possible.

Punitive taxes are as anti-free market as it gets, in my opinion, and just another form of the nanny state.

I agree with you on this, And so will most other working class folks if they would only take the time to read house bill 385. Most people are not aware of what all is contained in this bill.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display.aspx?Legislation=33187

I hope at least everyone will read the first two pages, And look at the scope of what all this bill covers.

Here is a list of those services that will now be taxed, That is presently not taxed.This list does not include the taxes that you will now pay on all groceries, Not does it explain that you will lose a lot of the deductions that you now enjoy when filing your State Return

11 LC 18 9816

H. B. 385

- 37 -

1228 (a) Services provided for under subparagraph (D.1) of paragraph (31) of Code Section

1229 48-8-2 means the following:

1230 (1) Clothing services, including:

1231 (A) Shoe repair and other shoe services;

1232 (B) Repair, alteration, and tailoring for clothing and accessories;

1233 © Watch or jewelry repair;

1234 (D) Clothing storage; and

1235 (E) Laundry and dry cleaning;

1236 (2) Household services, including:

1237 (A) Garbage and trash pickup;

1238 (B) Septic cleaning;

1239 © Water softening;

1240 (D) Household appliance and equipment service contracts;

1241 (E) Housekeeping services;

1242 (F) Gardening or lawn care services, including, but not limited to, tree pruning and

1243 removal;

1244 (G) Household appliance and equipment repair;

1245 (H) Other household services and small repair jobs around the house;

1246 (I) Home security system service fees; and

1247 (J) Installation charges for home electronics;

1248 (3) Membership services, including:

1249 (A) Global positioning services;

1250 (B) Golf courses, country clubs, and other social organizations, health clubs,

1251 swimming pools, and fitness and weight loss centers;

1252 © Credit card membership fees;

1253 (D) Shopping club membership; and

1254 (E) Direct or online dating services;

1255 (4) Automotive maintenance, repair, and equipment installation services, including:

1256 (A) Tire purchases and mounting;

1257 (B) Audio equipment and installation;

1258 © Video equipment and installation;

1259 (D) Body work and painting;

1260 (E) Clutch or transmission work;

1261 (F) Drive shaft or rear-end work;

1262 (G) Brake work;

1263 (H) Steering or front-end work;

1264 (I) Engine cooling system work;

1265 (J) Motor tune-up;

11 LC 18 9816

H. B. 385

- 38 -

1266 (K) Oil change, lubrication, and oil filter;

1267 (L) Front-end alignment, wheel balancing, and wheel rotation;

1268 (M) Shock absorber replacement;

1269 (N) Battery purchase and installation, tire repair, miscellaneous repairs;

1270 (O) Exhaust system work;

1271 (P) Electrical system work;

1272 (Q) Engine repair or replacement;

1273 ® Vehicle accessories and customization;

1274 (S) Vehicle cleaning and detailing services;

1275 (T) Auto repair service policies;

1276 (U) Towing charges; and

1277 (V) Automobile service clubs.

1278 (5) Residential moving, storage and freight express;

1279 (6) Professional photography fees;

1280 (7) Pet services, including, but not limited to, boarding, training, and grooming;

1281 (8) Veterinarian expenses for pets;

1282 (9) Haircuts, styling, coloring, and other related services; and

1283 (10) Safe deposit box rental.

1284 (B)(1) As used in this subsection, the term:

1285 (A) 'Digital code' means a code that gives a purchaser of the code a right to receive a

1286 digital product. A digital code may be obtained electronically or by tangible means.

1287 Such term shall not include a gift certificate or a gift card.

1288 (B) 'Digital product' means an intangible product delivered electronically, including

1289 any of the following specified digital products:

1290 (i) Ring tone which means a digitized sound file that is downloaded onto a device and

1291 that may be used to alert the customer with respect to communication;

1292 (ii) Digital audio-visual works which means a series of related images which, when

1293 shown in succession, impart an impression of motion, together with accompanying

1294 sounds, if any;

1295 (iii) Digital audio works which means works that result from the fixation of a series

1296 of musical, spoken, or other sounds, including ring tones; or

1297 (iv) Digital books which means works that are generally recognized in the ordinary

1298 and usual sense as books.

1299 (2) Sales and use tax under subparagraph (D.1) of paragraph (31) of Code Section 48-8-2

1300 shall be applied to the sale or use of either a digital product or a digital code used to

1301 obtain a digital product."

1302 SECTION 3-4.

These services include almost everything that the average family will need or use

I agree with you on this, And so will most other working class folks if they would only take the time to read house bill 385. Most people are not aware of what all is contained in this bill.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display.aspx?Legislation=33187

I hope at least everyone will read the first two pages, And look at the scope of what all this bill covers.

Well, this is just more complicated bullcrap to add to the volumes of tax codes, that I already understand almost none of! And I couldn't understand much of this new stuff either.

Whitey, if you understand this, could you translate any of this into simpler layman's terms? :wacko: :wacko:

And I wonder why so much of it seemed to be crossed out? :blink:

Well, this is just more complicated bullcrap to add to the volumes of tax codes, that I already understand almost none of! And I couldn't understand much of this new stuff either.

Whitey, if you understand this, could you translate any of this into simpler layman's terms? :wacko: :wacko:

And I wonder why so much of it seemed to be crossed out? :blink:

First in simple terms the tax payers of georgia will be paying $ 1 billion Dollars in additional

taxes ,which for the first time includes a sales tax on all the services as outlined in the previous post. In addition all groceries will be taxable

The tax rate for state income taxes for 2012 will be reduced from 6% to 5% and at the same time certain exemptions such as itemized deductions,Dependent exemptions, Childcare,earned income credit will be adjusted among other things(as I understand stand it and I may be wrong) no itemized deductions on the state form, Only a Standard deduction,In addition the allowance for dependents will be reduced from $3,000 to $2,000. There is more just too tired to search for.

2013 State taxes will reduce another .05 and will be 4.5 %

2014 may or may not be reduced another .05 for a total State tax of 4%

In addition in 2012 General Election an additional 2% sales tax will be added to the present 7% here in Paulding County making total sales tax at 9%,This is subject to voter approval

There is no way that this bill is revenue neutral, This is a tax increase for all Georgians.

In addition,the corporate tax rate will also be reduced by 2% during this same period of time, Even though we are among the lowest in Corporate taxes in the United States 5th if My memory serves me correctly.

Something new pops up everyday so stay tuned

Pan vet ... I'm sure Warren Buffet, whose income is in the millions per day, has to spend every bit of it on food.

Fuzzy math removed.

Right, because Warren Buffet never buys anything else other then food.

A 7%, or what ever rate, tax is still a 7% tax for everyone regardless of income.

I'm confused. So, when Miley Cirus pays $5,000 a night for a hotel room, she will not be taxed on that? Etc, etc.

Also, this will allow all the fine upstanding drug dealers to pay into the system.

I think everyone resists change. That may be what this boils down to. If a family is making $10,000/year, can they really spend more than that to rack up such high taxes? My insurance, house payment, car, groceries, etc, etc, is less than any rich person. Why do we so begrudge anyone who betters themselves, think that we are entitled to their extra earnings?

We didn't always have a sales tax. There was an adjustment there as well. Personally, I think that we could cut at least half of the government spending and therefore our tax rate but...what do I know?

I'm confused. So, when Miley Cirus pays $5,000 a night for a hotel room, she will not be taxed on that? Etc, etc.

Also, this will allow all the fine upstanding drug dealers to pay into the system.

I think everyone resists change. That may be what this boils down to. If a family is making $10,000/year, can they really spend more than that to rack up such high taxes? My insurance, house payment, car, groceries, etc, etc, is less than any rich person. Why do we so begrudge anyone who betters themselves, think that we are entitled to their extra earnings?

We didn't always have a sales tax. There was an adjustment there as well. Personally, I think that we could cut at least half of the government spending and therefore our tax rate but...what do I know?

Katcol You are correct we did not always have a sales tax, I believe that Talmage (Democrat) was the governor to have a sales tax late 40's or early 50's

It was .01 cent which has since grew to .04 cents for the State at the present time, Soon that was not enough revenue, So the Legislature gave the County the option to pass through voter approval "Special Local Option Sales Taxes" A .01 cent SPLOST SALES TAX was added to the County General fund, Then that was not enough, So the County was given the option to have two other SPLOST SALES TAXES one for Education, And one for the county to build designated roads, Fire stations,Parks,etc. Now that is not enough so the legislature last year gave each County the option to join in with some of the surrounding Counties and impose another .02 cents SALES TAX soley to build roards within a given area, Like the two other two SPLOST taxes this will have to receive voter approval during the General election in 2012. These tax dollars was not enough for Paulding County So Paulding had to resort to selling Bonds $125 million School Bond, $65 million Courthouse bond, $15 million Greenspace bond and about $400 million sewer bond, And that was nit enough,So the County sought and got passed a fire tax Levy Of up to 5 mils current rate 2 mils.

That is pretty much a pattern of what the tax picture has looked like over the past sixty years, The state of Georgia has used the Fair Tax Principle (sales and User txes) for the past sixty years and it has not worked.

At the present time the taxes collected is still not enough, The legislature has now proposed to include a large number of services,Not previously taxed, And All food to the list of taxable items, The end result being over $1 Billion dollar tax increase to all Georgians.Now you can put lipstick on a pig, But it is still a pig,Just like this is still a TAX INCREASE!!!!!

Katcol You are correct we did not always have a sales tax, I believe that Talmage (Democrat) was the governor to have a sales tax late 40's or early 50's

It was .01 cent which has since grew to .04 cents for the State at the present time, Soon that was not enough revenue, So the Legislature gave the County the option to pass through voter approval "Special Local Option Sales Taxes" A .01 cent SPLOST SALES TAX was added to the County General fund, Then that was not enough, So the County was given the option to have two other SPLOST SALES TAXES one for Education, And one for the county to build designated roads, Fire stations,Parks,etc. Now that is not enough so the legislature last year gave each County the option to join in with some of the surrounding Counties and impose another .02 cents SALES TAX soley to build roards within a given area, Like the two other two SPLOST taxes this will have to receive voter approval during the General election in 2012. These tax dollars was not enough for Paulding County So Paulding had to resort to selling Bonds $125 million School Bond, $65 million Courthouse bond, $15 million Greenspace bond and about $400 million sewer bond, And that was nit enough,So the County sought and got passed a fire tax Levy Of up to 5 mils current rate 2 mils.

That is pretty much a pattern of what the tax picture has looked like over the past sixty years, The state of Georgia has used the Fair Tax Principle (sales and User txes) for the past sixty years and it has not worked.

At the present time the taxes collected is still not enough, The legislature has now proposed to include a large number of services,Not previously taxed, And All food to the list of taxable items, The end result being over $1 Billion dollar tax increase to all Georgians.Now you can put lipstick on a pig, But it is still a pig,Just like this is still a TAX INCREASE!!!!!

Thank GOD this TAX INCREASE is at the hands of the current Republican CONSERVATIVE Legislature and Senate. Just IMAGINE what it would be if the Democrat PROGRESSIVE LIBERALs were incharge. I bet it would be a $1TRILLION increase.

Yeah,......Conservative my ASS. Just like Shearin and company with all of their Tax Increases. But hey, the voters spoke and wanted to send Paulette downtown because she is a Tea Party Conservative, along with Maxwell. Wonder how they are leaning on this proposed TAX INCREASE.

Fuzzy math removed.

Right, because Warren Buffet never buys anything else other then food.

A 7%, or what ever rate, tax is still a 7% tax for everyone regardless of income.

The only fuzzy math here is going to cost me money, increase MY tax burden and lower the tax burden of those in the highest incomes.

To me this is a classic exercise of the golden rule - i.e. those with the gold making the rules to give them more gold.

It is 7 percent based not on income ... but based on consumption. If you have to spend every cent to live, you are paying the maximum percent. If you only have to spend 5 percent of your income, you can avoid tax on the remaining 95 percent.

That is a tax loophole of monumental proportions that forces those who live hand to mouth to be virtual wage slaves while letting those whose incomes are much higher than their mandatory expenses, save and accumulate money tax free.

Indeed, by including necessities like food and shelter and even used cars in the sales taxable realm, the income from the sales tax will zoom while the wealthy are rewarded with an optional tax.

Why optional tax?

Well, they don't have to buy that new car; they don't have to buy those new clothes, they don't have to take the trip to the Bahamas (and pay tax) whereas the guy living from hand to mouth can't buy a new car, can't afford new clothes and certainly doesn't have the money to fly for a two week trip to the Bahamas.

To me the sales tax is a lot like the lottery ... it is a tax for the young and a tax on families.

Why?

Well if you know anything about marketing, you know that the prized audience for advertisers is the 18 to 25 or the 18-49 year old because these are the folks that need the new carpet, the new couch and the new car. Old folks don't drive as much, don't go as much and since they already have a couch, a carpet and a car; this allows them to avoid paying taxes for these things that are basics to starting a family. Hell, old folks don't even eat as much!

Bottom line, the sales tax and further and greater reliance on the sales tax is a tax on the young.

So why are we doing it?

Well the young tend to be blacker and more Hispanic than they were three and four generations ago.

pubby

Well, we can all sit here and debate the point until we are blue in the face and nothing changes. But, there is a bill proposed....NOW...

We can go to the capital and have another TEA Party with our friends from all over the state and fight this tax increase OR

We can begin calling, e-mailing, faxing our Representatives and let them know how WE...the TAXPAYERS feel about this proposed increase and OPPOSE its passage.....

After all....we hired 'em and we can fire 'em.....eventually!!