Paulding.com

Republicans in GA Senate May Not Bring Sunday Alcohol Sales to Vote

Looks like the Sunday alcohol sales may not even get a vote in the state Senate. The Christian Coalition began putting pressure on the Republicans since they have the overwhelming majority and now there is doubt if the state will allow local communities to vote on Sunday sales.

My Link

Looks like the Sunday alcohol sales may not even get a vote in the state Senate. The Christian Coalition began putting pressure on the Republicans since they have the overwhelming majority and now there is doubt if the state will allow local communities to vote on Sunday sales.

My Link

Who ARE these people? GEEEZ, apparently our law makers need to grow a set and stop acting like kitty cats and by kitty cats, I mean..........................

Who ARE these people? GEEEZ, apparently our law makers need to grow a set and stop acting like kitty cats and by kitty cats, I mean..........................

Good question. I went to the Georgia Coalition website and all I found in the about us section was a bio on Jerry Luguire. Nothing regarding their stance on liquor, Sunday alcohol sales.

I just do not understand the Sunday banning. Many observe their religion on other days. If you buy liquor on Saturday you are a good christian but on Sunday you are not? I truly just do not get it. :pardon:

Yes, you are correct!! :lol:

It's worse than wussy pillows - There would possibly be some additional employment gains to be made.

The state is also losing out on some major tax revenue. This is a user tax that would BENEFIT non-users. That's religion for ya, though... Just makes no sense.

• Like 1

It's worse than wussy pillows - There would possibly be some additional employment gains to be made.

The state is also losing out on some major tax revenue. This is a user tax that would BENEFIT non-users. That's religion for ya, though... Just makes no sense.

I love that!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Being raised in church all my life, and continuing to play piano in the church for over 30 years, I can sum it up pretty easy. Most are from an older generation, so to them it's a law of "respect" for the Sabbath, or Sunday....although in Judaism it's on Saturday....whatever, it's all based on the Roman Calendar...tit-for-tat.

Most of the people I am surrounded by are older than me, and I'm almost 46. I see their point, however, I also think it's very antiquated as well. Having a couple of teenage daughters, and being rather "old" for a father (in the sense we are used to) I have learned that even us older crusty folks need to "equally" evolve with our surrounding neighbors. The law of no sales on Sunday had good intentions in its time...but then again, prohibition never worked either, no did it? ;)

As long as alcohol is LEGAL, then barring ANY single day to sell it, is a flagrant conflict of interest. Not only that, but I have lost a few pals from Sunday drinking somewhere besides home, and got killed driving back to the house, because only certain establishments could serve on Sundays. Ergo, it tends to cost lives, whether we deem their choices as right or wrong....is that worth a death to anyone?

So, maybe that sheds some light on WHY older folks think it's a "mainstay law"...although it does nothing to improve the morality of our public, and negates the fact that some people are alcoholics and will DRIVE somewhere on Sunday to drink, whereas they could have stayed at home....and saved not only their life, but possibly the lives of others on the road, when they're driving back home. ;)

Why can't people just buy enough on Saturday, to drink for Saturday and Sunday? Why not have a day of rest and respect for the Sabbath? I guess I am "old". :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNDwoXYtbT8

There's certainly nothing wrong with staying home and respecting the Sabbath. There's also nothing wrong with going about your life like it's any other day.

I have emailed my State Senator to make sure my voice is at least heard. I do not understand why we are denied a right that 94% of the country is entitled to. This should be an all or nothing law. Either we have to comply to complete non drinking like the Christian Coalition would want, or let us buy it whenever. I am not sure why the Sabbath day observed by a certain group of Christians is the day we are having to observe to dictate our purchasing decisions.

Why can't people just buy enough on Saturday, to drink for Saturday and Sunday? Why not have a day of rest and respect for the Sabbath? I guess I am "old". :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNDwoXYtbT8

Most people do.....but it's those people who don't that worry me. Like I said....lost too many friends on account of that law. I don't understand why such laws exist, since they cater to a particular sect of people. Not everyone is religious. This law is sort of a "mandate" to those people who don't observe the sabbath. But that's not my point. I think I made my point clear on my previous post. It creates a scenario in which some folks WILL go elsewhere to drink...then they have to DRIVE back home. The whole law incites a driving hazard, to some extent. As long as alcohol is legal to sell, and we all know it causes danger on the roads, then it's only logical to remove an antiquated, religious law that causes such problems for other people.

Remember....some people who drink like a fish as soon as Friday evening hits, may not have the common sense to know they need to stock up on Saturday, for Sunday. You gotta put yourself in their shoes, then you have to analyze the outcome.....being, it may not be "them" who gets killed in a car wreck. All too often, it's an innocent victim(s) who are killed, who probably don't even drink. We have to look at our world from the big picture, and understand the toll we may be taking on others by an arcane law, which places religion DIRECTLY over FREEDOM.

Yes, I am one of those people who believe this nation was founded on Christianity...you'd have to be blind not to notice. However, I also believe that as a Christian, we are to be tolerant of our society. Anything less is ...well....simply not Christian, at all. And when I LOSE friends because of this Sunday law, it becomes very personal to me. How could I possibly sleep at night knowing that "some" of my friends, who are struggling with alcoholism will make the right choice? In fact, most heavy drinkers do NOT make the right choice. And it's not always "just them" who end up paying a price. I think that's something to think about....a "ritual belief" in thinking that not selling alcohol ONE day of every week is supposed to make this a safer and better place to live. I've only seen the opposite, all my life. People need to wake up.....spread the word of your religion, but don't LEGISLATE it to the point I have watched reachable lives die right out from under me.

My Link

The meeting is tomorrow morning to determine if the legislation has enough support to bring it to the floor. Your time would be better spent calling those who will be in attendance than trying to slant the truth here. drinks.gif

There's actually nothing to substantiate what you've said. There's no proof alcohol consumption will increase. Liquor store owners (who have long supported the ban on Sunday alcohol sales) predict they will actually lose money by opening an additional day with no overall increase in revenue. drinks.gif

• Like 1

The meeting is tomorrow morning to determine if the legislation has enough support to bring it to the floor. Your time would be better spent calling those who will be in attendance than trying to slant the truth here. drinks.gif

There's actually nothing to substantiate what you've said. There's no proof alcohol consumption will increase. Liquor store owners (who have long supported the ban on Sunday alcohol sales) predict they will actually lose money by opening an additional day with no overall increase in revenue. drinks.gif

You are correct. It would NOT increase consumption, but it would pave a way for drinkers to go buy what they want, TAKE IT HOME, and drink ti there. I just don't want them on the roads.

This may very well be the case. Of course, giving someone the right to do something doesn't mean they have to do it; even if this inane law is struck down, no liquor store will be forced to open on Sundays. So why not give them the right to choose?

This may very well be the case. Of course, giving someone the right to do something doesn't mean they have to do it; even if this inane law is struck down, no liquor store will be forced to open on Sundays. So why not give them the right to choose?

Good point. The store owners I know say they wouldn't open anyway, because they want a day off like everyone else. Let the cards fall where they may. ;)

Liquor stores won't be required to be open, that will be their choice, just like buying it if you can find a store open, would be a choice, one that we don't have now.

I will n ever get how it's a good idea to let people buy a drink at a restaurant on Sunday and not at a package store.

Good point. The store owners I know say they wouldn't open anyway, because they want a day off like everyone else. Let the cards fall where they may. ;)

Agree, however, stores like Publix, Wal-mart, ingles....etc that are open anyway would benefit with beer/wine sales and increase tax revenue.

I'm really not sure where the assumption is coming from the I would PREFER that folks drink in a restaurant and drive home. I've never said that and didn't even imply it.

No, liquor stores would not be "required" to open, but they would feel obligated. Just in case their Regular Joe forgot to stop by on Saturday, they would much rather he continue to shop with them than go somewhere else.

I haven't made a case for or against. I was simply stating some issues that some were choosing to ignore.

snip....

No, liquor stores would not be "required" to open, but they would feel obligated. Just in case their Regular Joe forgot to stop by on Saturday, they would much rather he continue to shop with them than go somewhere else.

I haven't made a case for or against. I was simply stating some issues that some were choosing to ignore.

You are exactly right, some will feel obligated to open on Sunday as a defensive position. My guess is that alcohol sales will not increase significantly, but rather the sales that now occur over 6 days will be spread over 7 days. One other concern that the store owners should be worried about is the choice that their governing authority makes about Sunday sales. If their particular county (city, etc..) chooses not to allow sales, they will lose sales to another business in another county/city that does allow sales on Sunday. If I were a liquor store owner, I would want to see this issue resolved before Sunday sales are allowed.

You are exactly right, some will feel obligated to open on Sunday as a defensive position. My guess is that alcohol sales will not increase significantly, but rather the sales that now occur over 6 days will be spread over 7 days. One other concern that the store owners should be worried about is the choice that their governing authority makes about Sunday sales. If their particular county (city, etc..) chooses not to allow sales, they will lose sales to another business in another county/city that does allow sales on Sunday. If I were a liquor store owner, I would want to see this issue resolved before Sunday sales are allowed.

This will be huge for people in counties that border Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, and the Carolinas. Currently it is as simple as driving across the border for a few minutes if you have to purchase something with alcohol. That is huge business.

I worked at Sam's club, and for years in Marietta there would be groups of people come in and buy Pallets of Beer on Saturday to be sold bootlegged on Sunday. The Alcohol buyer for all of Sam's club drove through areas of Marietta and other areas of Atlanta where people setup make shift Bootleg Alcohol stores out of their house and people would pay a premium to buy their beer from them. That is proof that people still purchase on Sunday. In the states i sell wine to that have Sunday sales Sunday is one of the largest alcohol days of the week for sales. I have read all over the internet where every state that moves to repeal the blue law gets blasted with misinformation that it brings little to no increase in sales. But I assure you, the increase is real. While they will not receive a full additional 15-20% increase due to an additional day, it is expected they will see an additional 3-10% increase.

But that shouldn't be the deciding factor. That is the hilarious part, this should be about us having the right to buy it like the rest of the country and like we can the rest of the year. We should not be restricted because some influential business owners and some influential religious groups say we should.

This will be huge for people in counties that border Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, and the Carolinas. Currently it is as simple as driving across the border for a few minutes if you have to purchase something with alcohol. That is huge business.

I worked at Sam's club, and for years in Marietta there would be groups of people come in and buy Pallets of Beer on Saturday to be sold bootlegged on Sunday. The Alcohol buyer for all of Sam's club drove through areas of Marietta and other areas of Atlanta where people setup make shift Bootleg Alcohol stores out of their house and people would pay a premium to buy their beer from them. That is proof that people still purchase on Sunday. In the states i sell wine to that have Sunday sales Sunday is one of the largest alcohol days of the week for sales. I have read all over the internet where every state that moves to repeal the blue law gets blasted with misinformation that it brings little to no increase in sales. But I assure you, the increase is real. While they will not receive a full additional 15-20% increase due to an additional day, it is expected they will see an additional 3-10% increase.

But that shouldn't be the deciding factor. That is the hilarious part, this should be about us having the right to buy it like the rest of the country and like we can the rest of the year. We should not be restricted because some influential business owners and some influential religious groups say we should.

An increase of 3% would not be worth opening the door when each of the current 6 days theoretically account for 16.6% of sales. If they can hit the 10% mark, it might be worth it. But I agree with you, the business owners wishes should not be a consideration.

Since you are involved with sales in other states, I have a question that you might be able to answer: Do other states allow the local governing authority to make the final decision about when sales are allowed or is this something that is unique to Georgia?

I'm really not sure where the assumption is coming from the I would PREFER that folks drink in a restaurant and drive home. I've never said that and didn't even imply it.

Sorry, I didn't mean that YOU or anyone "preferred" that people would DUI. I was just tossing in what I have seen as a result. Granted, I'm sure no one would condone such activity.

IMO, this is really not about whether or not we can have our beer for Sunday football.

This is about letting us decide for ourselves what the law should or should not be. The vast majority of the population should not be subject to the Christian Coalition's view on how we should live our lives. That is un-American.

Senators are elected to represent US, not the GCC.

You are correct. It would NOT increase consumption, but it would pave a way for drinkers to go buy what they want, TAKE IT HOME, and drink ti there. I just don't want them on the roads.

My problem with this is, If liquor stores were allowed to sell on Sundays, what makes you think people would buy it then take it home? If that was the case, there would not be as many drunk drivers on the roads the rest of the week, seeing that liquor stores sell the other 6 days of the week. Sad to say, people are still going to go to bars, drink, then drive home!

An increase of 3% would not be worth opening the door when each of the current 6 days theoretically account for 16.6% of sales. If they can hit the 10% mark, it might be worth it. But I agree with you, the business owners wishes should not be a consideration.

Since you are involved with sales in other states, I have a question that you might be able to answer: Do other states allow the local governing authority to make the final decision about when sales are allowed or is this something that is unique to Georgia?

Alcohol laws were given to each state after prohibition ended. Some states make sweeping changes that effect all municipalities. However, in the South almost all states are locally decided. In Alabama they have a law similar to what is being proposed here. The state allows for sunday sales, however each county has laws dictating it. I know in Birmingham you can buy on Sunday I believe after 11 am, but just south of the city, in Pelham, Alabaster and the suburbs they cannot purchase on sunday and must drive 5 minutes up the street into the next county to purchase.

Florida however generally puts state wide rules into effect. They are one of the most lenient states in the south, with the exception that you cannot purchase anything larger than 3L in the state. So most Box wines are made in smaller 3L sizes for Florida.

My problem with this is, If liquor stores were allowed to sell on Sundays, what makes you think people would buy it then take it home? If that was the case, there would not be as many drunk drivers on the roads the rest of the week, seeing that liquor stores sell the other 6 days of the week. Sad to say, people are still going to go to bars, drink, then drive home!

Agreed, but at least they wouldnt be forced to go to a bar or restaurant to drink, they would have the choice to do it at home. I will never drink even a sip of alcohol if i know i am going to have to drive. So if i am out of wine, lets say even to cook with, i am completely out of luck if it is on the Protestants Sabbath.

Alcohol laws were given to each state after prohibition ended. Some states make sweeping changes that effect all municipalities. However, in the South almost all states are locally decided. In Alabama they have a law similar to what is being proposed here. The state allows for sunday sales, however each county has laws dictating it. I know in Birmingham you can buy on Sunday I believe after 11 am, but just south of the city, in Pelham, Alabaster and the suburbs they cannot purchase on sunday and must drive 5 minutes up the street into the next county to purchase.

Florida however generally puts state wide rules into effect. They are one of the most lenient states in the south, with the exception that you cannot purchase anything larger than 3L in the state. So most Box wines are made in smaller 3L sizes for Florida.

North Carolina has one of the stupidest laws... you can only buy liquor in airplane size bottles. Is that still true?

And can't you only buy wine and liquor from state run stores - the ABC liquor stores?

TN is silly, too. You can't buy beer and liquor in the same place, but you can buy on Sundays. So, grocery stores have beer, but no wine and liquor. YOu have to hit the package store for those. Package stores do not have beer.

There are some places that are technically different locations, but are really the same place. i.e. a wall seperates teh wine and beer and there are different registers. Oh, and the times you are allowed to buy on Sunday varies by CITY not county.

Republicans in the GA Senate MAY OR they may not, would be a far more accurate statement.

"When we have issues where there appears to be some contention, we would like to have a full caucus discussion and debate among all of our members before we proceed forward to the floor." - Senate Majority leader Chip Rogers.

It looks like it has the votes although it is very close, and if it does, it will go to the floor. There are some Republican Senators from South Georgia, where voters oppose Sunday Sales 63% to 31%, who fear having to run against a Christian Coalition opponent in the next primary, although, according to Matt Towery of Insider Advantage, this is a mostly unfounded fear, particularly for established Senators.

We should get the word tonight.

Agreed, but at least they wouldnt be forced to go to a bar or restaurant to drink, they would have the choice to do it at home. I will never drink even a sip of alcohol if i know i am going to have to drive. So if i am out of wine, lets say even to cook with, i am completely out of luck if it is on the Protestants Sabbath.

Why would someone feel forced to go to a bar to drink just because they can't buy it on Sundays in a store??? Alchoholics maybe??I agree with you, although We only drink wine occasionally,I would NEVER drink,not even a sip if I know I am going to have to drive.People are still going to go to bars and restaurants,or to friends houses and drink,period. Too many stupid folks out there!!

North Carolina has one of the stupidest laws... you can only buy liquor in airplane size bottles. Is that still true?

And can't you only buy wine and liquor from state run stores - the ABC liquor stores?

TN is silly, too. You can't buy beer and liquor in the same place, but you can buy on Sundays. So, grocery stores have beer, but no wine and liquor. YOu have to hit the package store for those. Package stores do not have beer.

There are some places that are technically different locations, but are really the same place. i.e. a wall seperates teh wine and beer and there are different registers. Oh, and the times you are allowed to buy on Sunday varies by CITY not county.

North Carolina changed that law i believe in 2007. They can now sell normal sized bottles.

I completely agree with you about Tennessee. They also have higher taxes on alcohol which causes a $15 case of beer to be around $19-$20. Florida is similar in separating the locations. Beer and wine can be sold in grocery, but spirits must be a separate building, usually divided by a wall. The law says it must have a separate entrance.

Georgia has many laws you may not be aware of:

You cannot use an instant coupon on alcohol, but you can use a mail in rebate.

Alcohol and digestible food cannot be packaged together by the manufacturer (ie gift sets, Wine and chocolate)

If you were to ask me for help or suggestion of a wine while i am in a store, since i work in any way for a winery, i cannot legally help you.

Any company that sells beer and wine in Georgia can open a liquor store on premise as well as long as it has a different entrance, but no company can have more than two locations that sell spirits in the state. That is why there are only 2 Total Wine stores, 2 Sherlock's package stores, 2 Bullocks Package, 2 Sams club liquor stores, and 2 Costco Liquor Stores.

Edited by Wineguy

IMO, this is really not about whether or not we can have our beer for Sunday football.

This is about letting us decide for ourselves what the law should or should not be. The vast majority of the population should not be subject to the Christian Coalition's view on how we should live our lives. That is un-American.

Senators are elected to represent US, not the GCC.

We as individuals do not get to directly vote on most issues as that responsibility is given to representatives that we elect. Sadly, over 60% of the registered voters in Georgia demonstrated that they could care less about our laws since they did not show up to vote in the past election. It's only natural to assume that elected officials focus on the wishes of the people that elected them.

Thanks for the education.

Edited by A Former Geek

The state already makes a distinction between beer and wine and hard liqueur. It sounds like a good compromise right now would be to vote to allow beer and wine sales on Sunday, but not everything else.

That way the grocery and C-stores would be able to sell what they do the other 6 days, and the specialty stores would have the option to open for just beer and wine sales, or they could remain closed on Sunday.

Why would someone feel forced to go to a bar to drink just because they can't buy it on Sundays in a store??? Alchoholics maybe??I agree with you, although We only drink wine occasionally,I would NEVER drink,not even a sip if I know I am going to have to drive.People are still going to go to bars and restaurants,or to friends houses and drink,period. Too many stupid folks out there!!

it is not a feeling of being forced to drink. But I know numerous times i have gone to the Grocery store and my fiance asks me to pick up a bottle of Moscato for her to go with dinner, but i cannot because i do not have that right in the state of Georgia. These are the incremental sales that we would pick up in the state. 36% of all wine sales in grocery stores are impulse purchases that were not planned or on the grocery list. Many people plan a steak dinner when they go to the grocery store, but at the last minute realize that a nice bottle of Cabernet would go well with it. When you figure that many grocery stores go through 30-100 cases of wine on a saturday, with 30-40% being impulse purchase, that shows the opportunity for increased tax and retail revenue if it passes. We are quick to jump to the alcoholics and abusers that would prosper under this law, but it is the family that grocery shops on sunday when they do not work, or the young adult couples that grocery shop for the nights dinner that would also benefit greatly and increase the bottom line as well.

The state already makes a distinction between beer and wine and hard liqueur. It sounds like a good compromise right now would be to vote to allow beer and wine sales on Sunday, but not everything else.

That way the grocery and C-stores would be able to sell what they do the other 6 days, and the specialty stores would have the option to open for just beer and wine sales, or they could remain closed on Sunday.

This was the law as it was written over the last few years, and it had the most support. I think if it does not get passed the floor today, it will be revised to the prior version which could pass more easily. Currently the Package store owners and the GCC are against the law. If they change it you would only have the GCC opposition.

Any company that sells beer and wine in Georgia can open a liquor store on premise as well as long as it has a different entrance, but no company can have more than two locations that sell spirits in the state. That is why there are only 2 Total Wine stores, 2 Sherlock's package stores, 2 Bullocks Package, 2 Sams club liquor stores, and 2 Costco Liquor Stores.

Aren't there 3 Total Wine locations? Kennesaw, Perimeter and Alpharetta.