• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Computer Rescue

Computer Rescue

Paulding Com member

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

In my business I see a lot of computer problems and they all have solutions. But the one problem that always pulls at the “heart strings” is the loss of one of a kind family pictures.

In this day in age everyone has a digital camera and when those special moments arise you are happy to have that digital camera in your hands. You know those moments when little Ashley takes her first steps or when your grandchild says your name for the first time! Technology has made it possible to capture these moments easier, faster, and more affordable!

So, what must you take time for…? BACK UP these precious pictures!! Please!!

Too often do I receive computers with dead hard drives and too often do the owners tell me...“It has all of my child’s baby pictures and I never got copies”.

Even with all of the available software’s I can’t guarantee success in retrieving these precious pictures. Now, unlike other companies I do not charge to attempt recovery of these pictures and files. I know too well how it feels to lose important files and especially precious pictures. Did you know that using a professional data recovery service can cost you hundreds!

Hard drives are unpredictable and can go any day at any moment without any sign of a problem.

So, please take the time to back up those pictures and files onto another hard drive, CD/DVD, flash drive, or whatever you have so that your rare, one of a kind, and precious pictures are not lost.

Keep in mind though that digital media such hard drives and flash drives have short life spans as well are vulnerable to environmental dangers such as static electricity and water. CD/DVD‘s have about a 5 year life span.

There are many different ways to preserve copies of important pictures and files. What do you do?

Best Wishes,
Computer Rescue of West Georgia

Posted Image

Proud to be a Paulding Based Company

Posted Image

http://cpu-rescue.com
Service Hours: Monday-Saturday 8:00AM - 7:00PM
All Major Credit & Debit Cards Accepted

#2 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,283 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

:good:
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#3 sadie612

sadie612

Yo diggity

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,723 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

i lost all my pics once... now After I fill up my SD cards I store them and just get a new one...

good advice
This is your life, are you who you wanna be!?!

#4 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,727 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

I use an external hard drive to store all of my pictures and documents.

#5 really gone from here

really gone from here

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

I use an external hard drive to store all of my pictures and documents.

Same here, with auto backup.
*Signature Edited for Content not in Accordance with the PCOM Rules

edited by Deputy Rafe Hollister

#6 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,868 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

i lost all my pics once... now After I fill up my SD cards I store them and just get a new one...

good advice

Those can still go bad and you'll loose the contents if you don't have a backup.
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#7 ksee4

ksee4

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

:drinks: GREAT ADVISE !! Thanks for putting it out there, So many people don't really think about those precious pictures. And out of the blue your PC crashes or hardrive goes bad, or a wire shortage between your components and poof they are all gone. I learned the hard way. I now back up everything.

Edited by ksee4, 15 February 2011 - 08:39 PM.

LIVE TODAY TO IT'S FULLEST CAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT TOMORROW WILL BRING

#8 VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

Do yourselves a favor and use an offsite backup provider like Mozy. External drives are great until:

1. Your disk is stolen.
2. Your house burns down.
3. You're hit by a tornado.
4. The disk is bumped and dropped off the desk.
5. You're hit by a virus that wipes the disk.

I don't worry about any of these. ;)
  • SOLO likes this

#9 Computer Rescue

Computer Rescue

Paulding Com member

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

Great ideas everyone!

There are many different ways to go about it really. Uploading to one of the online back up storage websites is a good idea but security will always be an issue as you can't really be sure that your information is private.

Keeping it on another hard drive is a good idea but keep in mind that they too can go bad as they are the same type of hard drive that is found in your computer. Flash drives, SD cards, and all other types of memory cards are not recommended as they can be too easily damaged or misplaced.

One idea is to make copies of your pictures and videos that you don't mind your family seeing and give them a copy to put on their computers. If your computer crashes and you misplace your back up then you have a greater chance of asking one of them for a copy.

Like I said...many different ways to have a back up of files. In any case, it is an ongoing task to keep making back ups onto new media.

Good luck everyone!

Steven

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 ~*Kim*~

~*Kim*~

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

I have a ocmputer at home that the screen will not come back on, all my pics were on there, and I dont know if they can be recovered or not... I wish I would have backed them all up.. there are many I would like to have right now.
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference. - Unknown

R.I.P Subway

#11 Computer Rescue

Computer Rescue

Paulding Com member

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

I have a ocmputer at home that the screen will not come back on, all my pics were on there, and I dont know if they can be recovered or not... I wish I would have backed them all up.. there are many I would like to have right now.

From what you told me YES your pictures are still there and can be recovered from that computer. Of course I would need a little bit more information to be totally sure.

Sent you a PM. Call me and we will talk.

Steven

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:08 AM

If you have a regular computer, not an Apple or the likes, I mean NOT an "all in 1 piece", you may not have a problem because everything, is in the cpu tower itself, If I am NOT muistaken.
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#13 Glenn's Mowers (SUBBY)

Glenn's Mowers (SUBBY)

An old fart just doing his part to make this a better place to l

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,184 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

In my business I see a lot of computer problems and they all have solutions. But the one problem that always pulls at the “heart strings” is the loss of one of a kind family pictures.

In this day in age everyone has a digital camera and when those special moments arise you are happy to have that digital camera in your hands. You know those moments when little Ashley takes her first steps or when your grandchild says your name for the first time! Technology has made it possible to capture these moments easier, faster, and more affordable!

So, what must you take time for…? BACK UP these precious pictures!! Please!!

Too often do I receive computers with dead hard drives and too often do the owners tell me...“It has all of my child’s baby pictures and I never got copies”.

Even with all of the available software’s I can’t guarantee success in retrieving these precious pictures. Now, unlike other companies I do not charge to attempt recovery of these pictures and files. I know too well how it feels to lose important files and especially precious pictures. Did you know that using a professional data recovery service can cost you hundreds!

Hard drives are unpredictable and can go any day at any moment without any sign of a problem.

So, please take the time to back up those pictures and files onto another hard drive, CD/DVD, flash drive, or whatever you have so that your rare, one of a kind, and precious pictures are not lost.

Keep in mind though that digital media such hard drives and flash drives have short life spans as well are vulnerable to environmental dangers such as static electricity and water. CD/DVD‘s have about a 5 year life span.

There are many different ways to preserve copies of important pictures and files. What do you do?

Best Wishes,

Thanks for the info, but are you sure about the CD/DVD life span? I have CD's that I burned of pics that are much older than 5 years ago, and they are still doing fine. Short of running these back up CD's on a player a lot, how exactly do they expire?

If you have a regular computer, not an Apple or the likes, I mean NOT an "all in 1 piece", you may not have a problem because everything, is in the cpu tower itself, If I am NOT muistaken.

Pics and music, and other files are on the hard drive. (which is in the tower, yes, but that's where all the data is stored, including your OS.)
Business Phone: 678-315-8794 Email: glennsmowerrepair@gmail.com Website: http://glennsmowerrepairs.webs.com/

#14 Computer Rescue

Computer Rescue

Paulding Com member

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

Well, technically CD/DVD's can last 10 years or more but so can a VHS Tape but over time neither media will hold up. In CD's for instance a wide array of dyes and metals are used in the production with some being the instrumental part that is "written" on with your files. Metal and dyes degrade over time depending on how they are stored and how they were manufactured. The higher quality the CD the higher lifespan and visa versa. There is no easy way to determine if one brand of CD's is better then others too so it safer to not use them.

The Library of Congress and many others have conducted studies on the life span of CD's and similar media in hopes that they could be used to store data long term instead of the older methods such as microfilm. For the Library of Congress microfilm and other "old" methods are still the better media for preserving historic records as in the instance of microfilm has a 50 year lifespan.

Also, the method of "writing: a CD at home is likely different from manufactures making CD quality lower in the home.

Bottom line is that CD/DVD's are not wise to use for permanent storage and should not be "written" once and then forgotten. You could revisit the CD's every 3-5 years and rewrite them onto new CD's but you will have to remember.. :D

Thanks for asking! :D

Steven

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Computer Rescue

Computer Rescue

Paulding Com member

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:04 AM

Glad to see so many people took my advise! :) Customers coming off this wonderful website tell me they back up there precious files now. :)

I hope everyone remembered to back up those important files... :)

We have access to recovery software like any good computer repair company but like most we are limited to the software's ability. Sure we have a few tricks up our sleeve to "wake up" a hard drive or even bring it back from the dead... :) but sometimes there is nothing we can do.

Back up those files folks and save yourself the grief... :)

Happy computing!

Steven

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics