Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo

How many of you currently have a will?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: How many of you currently have a will? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you currently have a will?

1. Yes (5 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. No (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

If you currently have a will, how old is it?

1. Less than 5 years. (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. More than 5 years. (3 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. More than 10 years. (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

If you do not have a will, why not?

1. Never thought about it. (3 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Don't want to think about it. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Costs too much money. (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Don't care what happens after I'm dead. (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

What do you think is the most important reason for having a will?

1. To make sure my family is taken care of when I die. (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

2. To help my survivors distribute my property. (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

3. To choose who will take care of my children. (0 votes [0.00%])

4. To make things as easy as possible for my family. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. To keep the government from making decisions about what happens to my property. (4 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

Everyone should have a will. Without one, the government could be making the decisions about what happens to your property and your kids, if you have any. Many people put it off, for a variety of reasons, but one thing we all know is that tomorrow is never guaranteed. In order to help make sure everyone has a will, I am currently offering $50.00 off any will preparation. Call today if you would like to make an appointment.

THE LAW OFFICE OF JEANNE O'HALLERAN, LLC

Civil Litigation
Family Law: Divorce, Adoption, Child Support, Paternity/Legitimation
Adult Guardianships
Wills/Trusts

#2 K96W8

K96W8

Icon

• +HELPINGHANDS MPX
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

We have a current will--that says who will take care of our older kids, but adopted a 16-year-old who a different family will take custody of if something happens to both of us. Do we need to have a new will to make provision for who he will take custody of him or can we add something to current will/have a separate document? Thanks.

I can't answer poll--there isn't an option to answer in question 3 if you have a will--and it won't accept with answering all questions.

#3 A Former Geek

A Former Geek

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

Excellent reminder for everyone and very important. I do not think that any of us want the state deciding what happens to our stuff and especially our kids. I think it also puts a judge in the difficult position of trying to determine the best thing to do within the boundaries of the law.

#4 Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

We have a current will--that says who will take care of our older kids, but adopted a 16-year-old who a different family will take custody of if something happens to both of us. Do we need to have a new will to make provision for who he will take custody of him or can we add something to current will/have a separate document? Thanks.

I can't answer poll--there isn't an option to answer in question 3 if you have a will--and it won't accept with answering all questions.

K96:

With any major life change, you should redraft your wills. Especially in your case, where you have a new family member whose custody will be handled differently from your other children. Under your current will, there is probably language that would include your adopted child with your other children, and therefore your separate wishes regarding your adopted child would not be considered by the court. I would recommend drafting a completely new will, so there is no chance of confusion regarding your 16-year-old.

Please feel free to give me a call if you would like to come in and talk about it further.

Civil Litigation
Adult Guardianships
Wills/Trusts

#5 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,769 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

we have a will, funeral arrangements written down, power of attorney for health, living will, and we also have our burial plots.
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#6 Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

we have a will, funeral arrangements written down, power of attorney for health, living will, and we also have our burial plots.

Lady Raider -
That's fantastic. One thing to consider though - Georgia law changed several years ago and has now replaced living wills and power of attorneys with a new document called an "Advanced Medical Directive." It has similar functions, but everything is encompassed within one document. Although medical professionals are supposed to honor living wills that were executed before the change in the law, there is a higher likelihood that they may not accept a living will, especially as more time passes since it's execution. Since you seem to be on top of everything else, you may want to consider updating to the new Advanced Medical Directives, to ensure that your loved ones won't have any problems if the need arises.

Civil Litigation
Adult Guardianships
Wills/Trusts

#7 eym_sirius

eym_sirius

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Everyone should have a will. Without one, the government could be making the decisions about what happens to your property and your kids, if you have any. Many people put it off, for a variety of reasons, but one thing we all know is that tomorrow is never guaranteed. In order to help make sure everyone has a will, I am currently offering $50.00 off any will preparation. Call today if you would like to make an appointment.

Just so I'll have an idea -- What is the $50 off of? In other words, what is the range of prices for wills? Do you have an average price or some basis for pricing a simple will for spouses?

$50 off doesn't tell me enough.

#8 MeWhoElse

MeWhoElse

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

LOL sorry my eyesight is not the best. I read this as Wii. :lol:

Posted Image

~~Just so you know, GNAT is spelled with a G and not a K~~

Disclaimer: I look nothing like my avatar...

#9 Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

Just so I'll have an idea -- What is the $50 off of? In other words, what is the range of prices for wills? Do you have an average price or some basis for pricing a simple will for spouses?

$50 off doesn't tell me enough.

Generally, a simple will, not involving minor children, is $150.00. For someone with minor children, it's $200.00 The price can go up a bit if the estate is very large and needs to be structured with trusts, or if there is some other unusual complication, but most people will fit into one of those two categories.

Civil Litigation
Adult Guardianships
Wills/Trusts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics