Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Blondiega1

Attn: Child care workers

What do you know about having to have a CDA certification to work in a daycare?

My daughter works PART TIME on breaks and over the summer at a daycare when she's home from college and she is being told that to continue to work there ALL daycare workers must be CDA certified.

She found an online course, but it VERY expensive and seems like a lot to pay for a PART TIME summer job.

Heck, it seems like a lot to pay for ANY child care worker unless they are the director. (IMHO)

She's working on her degree in psychology and eventually wants to work with trouble kids as a counselor.

So do ya'll know anything about the CDA certification?

Will a part time day care worker have to have this??

Would it be to her benefit to get this certification if she's going to be working with troubled kids later down the line?

She has emailed her college counselor asking about this, but I knew there were some child care providers on here that might be able to provide some insight.

TIA.

I don't currently work for a Childcare Center but I did a few years back. At the time it wasn't "required" but as far as I know the state laws have changed and most daycares are requiring it. I don't know if it is an actual "law" but I do know that more and more centers are requiring it of all employees. My cousin works for a center in South GA and she too was required to obtain a CDA. Some centers are willing to help you pay for the course. Being part time I wouldn't do it unless they pay for it. As you said, just doesn't seem worth the money/time especially if it isn't something she sees will benefit her in the years to come.

However, the CDA is actually only required for lead teachers in a child care facility. Teacher assistants require state-mandated training, but not a full CDA. In many facilities, especially smaller ones, staff members are moved around as needed, and thus the facilities require all staff members to obtain the CDA credential to ensure flexibility in assignments, especially in beginning- or end-of-day situations, where a CDA must be present.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I just don't think it's worth $830 for the online course and $80 in books if this is not something she needs for her long term career.

Is this the normal cost for the CDA course?

She may just have to find another part time job when she's home. I hate it to come to that cause she loves the daycare and working with the little ones and they've been so great about letting her come back on breaks and over the summer.

Chatt Tech used to over the CDA class! May be cheaper and she maybe able to get fin aid

Chatt Tech used to over the CDA class! May be cheaper and she maybe able to get fin aid

Thanks. It's just that she away at college right now in Dahlonega.

I'm still waiting to hear back from her once she talks to her school counselor.

True, but it is not just one class. Think what this would cost. I would agree that it is not worth it for a part-time-I-will-never-use-this-in-a-longterm-career situation. OTOH, if there is even a chance that she will work in child care or preschool situations in the future, then I would recommend that she do it.

Curriculum:

ECE 1010 Intro to Early Childcare & Edu5

ECE 1030 Human Growth and Develop I5

ECE 1050 Health, Safety and Nutrition5

ECE 1025 Prof thru CDA Cert Preparation2

ECE 1026 CDA CERTIFICATION ASSESS PREP2

http://www.chattahoocheetech.edu/prospective/cdassociatecert/

True, but it is not just one class. Think what this would cost. I would agree that it is not worth it for a part-time-I-will-never-use-this-in-a-longterm-career situation. OTOH, if there is even a chance that she will work in child care or preschool situations in the future, then I would recommend that she do it.

Curriculum:

ECE 1010 Intro to Early Childcare & Edu5

ECE 1030 Human Growth and Develop I5

ECE 1050 Health, Safety and Nutrition5

ECE 1025 Prof thru CDA Cert Preparation2

ECE 1026 CDA CERTIFICATION ASSESS PREP2

http://www.chattahoocheetech.edu/prospective/cdassociatecert/

My thoughts EXACTLY.

We'll wait and see what her school counselor says.

How many hours is this course above?

Is it something she might could get in while home for the summer??

You can see all of the requirements on the Bright From the Start website forthe state DECAL office.

The above post is correct and each center may choose to have all teachers have the certification. There is an online course with a company called CCEI. The cheapest they have ever offered it was $400.

The one loop hole might be that since she is currently attending FT pursuing a BA she may be qualified using her transcript from college.

It is going to be hard for college students to work breaks in a childcare facility once this goes into effect. I would suggest looking into a youth summer camp program. Winshape is one ran by Chic Fil A. I would bet the pay is better too. I am a lifer in the childcare industry but I know it does not pay well. You do it because you love it.

The CDA would not really apply to any other field either.

Edited by georgianutts