5 replies to this topic

#1 A Former Geek

A Former Geek

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

Almost every computer infection that I have encountered during the past month was on computers that did not have the latest update for Java installed. (Java is a programming language that is required for many websites and applications). When Java needs to be updated, you will notice an icon that looks like a smoking cup of coffee in the notification area of the desktop (the lower right corner). When you see this notice, you should click the icon and install the update immediately. Unfortunately, it seems that most people ignore the icon and many end up infected. The current version of Java is 6 with update 23 installed. Unless you are sure you have the latest version, go here and click on the red "Free Java Download" button. Your computer will then be scanned to see if you have the latest update.

Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader will also occasionally offer updates and should also be installed to minimize the risk of infection.

Microsoft releases updates for Windows on the second Tuesday of every month which was today. If your computer has the Automatic Updates feature turned on, you will receive the updates within the next day or so. If the feature is not turned on, I suggest turning it on. You can also choose to install the updates manually. Links to instructions for automatic and manual updates are listed below. The updates released today fixed three holes in Windows which you can read more about here: http://news.cnet.com...g=2547-1_3-0-20

Turn on automatic Windows updates

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Windows 7

Perform manual Windows updates

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Windows 7

#2 Volfan4life

Volfan4life

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

...or you could just buy a Mac.

#3 A Former Geek

A Former Geek

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

...or you could just buy a Mac.

Macs have security issues as well that are patched by Apple. I should have mentioned the Mac update that was released last Thursday. More info here: http://www.pcworld.c..._app_store.html

#4 mei lan

mei lan

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Big attacks predicted for this year for Macs, iphones, ipads, etc.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

#5 A Former Geek

A Former Geek

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

Big attacks predicted for this year for Macs, iphones, ipads, etc.

Don't forget Android - it's piece of the pie is to big for the crooks to ignore.

#6 A Former Geek

A Former Geek

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

One more issue that I often see: Expired Anti-Virus programs. If you purchase an AV program, it normally expires after a year. There are some exceptions as some vendors offer multiple year subscriptions. Even if you use a free one, they are eventually replaced with newer free versions. I recently had someone call with computer problems and I asked if she had an AV installed and had been performing regular scans. She replied that she did. However, once she brought me the computer, I discovered that the AV program had expired in 2004, which means it was absolutely useless. Make sure that you have a valid AV installed and that it is performing scans at least weekly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics