• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 GipperGirlGotsMoxie

GipperGirlGotsMoxie

Wicked smart

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 11,339 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

Comfort food is definitely my favorite kind of food to eat. I love a good roast, braised then in the crock all day, a slow roasted ham, a pot of chili, chicken and rice,mac n cheese, ANY soup(never met a soup I didnt love ^_^ )...but probably the one that brings back the most memories are potato cakes.
I always loved them so much. My Mom would surprise me the day after a various potato dish with them (Me, not knowing at that stage in life that they really are kind of a pain to make)...she made them the best!
So, I have some prepped and ready to go in my kitchen...it's a comfort food kinda night :wub: .
"Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."- Churchill

#2 KRM

KRM

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

Mama made the best grits. Tonight we had breakfast and I smiled to Mama while enjoying them her way.

Soup and corn bread is another good one.

Hush up, you Stalker!!

#3 sugail

sugail

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

Really good bread with good olive oil to dip it in makes me feel good. But if we're talking about a meal that reminds us of our mom that would be chicken noodle soup and pb&j sandwich. When I was in elementary school I walked home for lunch every day and that's what my mom had ready for me. I really don't remember her fixing anything else for my lunch. Sometimes she would give me the money to run to the little store on the corner to get a Hostess cupcake to go with my lunch. Her peanut butter cookies were delicious too. I need to bake some since I have her recipe.

#4 JediTreeRat

JediTreeRat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

My wife's home-made chicken noodle soup. A hug in every bowl full. :)
"It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices." Chief Justice John Roberts

#5 GipperGirlGotsMoxie

GipperGirlGotsMoxie

Wicked smart

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 11,339 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

Really good bread with good olive oil to dip it in makes me feel good. But if we're talking about a meal that reminds us of our mom that would be chicken noodle soup and pb&j sandwich. When I was in elementary school I walked home for lunch every day and that's what my mom had ready for me. I really don't remember her fixing anything else for my lunch. Sometimes she would give me the money to run to the little store on the corner to get a Hostess cupcake to go with my lunch. Her peanut butter cookies were delicious too. I need to bake some since I have her recipe.

Sug, I love that! I think you were sooooooo fortunate to have memories of an everyday lunch at home with Mom. Even though I'm sure she was busy with things she needed to get done, still, the idea of that is great. She knew what you would like and made it with love. Gah! Beautiful memory.

KRM...yep, smile at your sweet Momma. I do the same. We had GREAT ones, didnt we? What a great reminder of how much our Mothers loved us by the food we cook and eat. Breaking bread together is one of the most special, and even holy, things people can do together.
Thank you for sharing, KRM. Oh, me and my southern Mamma loved grits too!
"Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."- Churchill

#6 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

Chili and French onion soup. not together though. When I was little my mom would make me french onion when I was sick.
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#7 GipperGirlGotsMoxie

GipperGirlGotsMoxie

Wicked smart

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 11,339 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

Chili and French onion soup. not together though. When I was little my mom would make me french onion when I was sick.

My fiance' made me chili tonight. I've never been a huge chili fan until this year. I guess it's an age thing. But, it was so good on a cold day like this :) .
Onion soup...I love it. They serve Vidalia Onion Bisque at the place I work part time that is delicious. Lots of people come there just for the onion bisque.

My wife's home-made chicken noodle soup. A hug in every bowl full. :)

awwww! thats why I love comfort food so much!

#8 gwilli8866

gwilli8866

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

A big ole pot of homemade chicken & dumplins, also a pot of homemade vegetable beef soup with lots of potatoes with hot cornbread. My two favorites!

#9 GipperGirlGotsMoxie

GipperGirlGotsMoxie

Wicked smart

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 11,339 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

A big ole pot of homemade chicken & dumplins, also a pot of homemade vegetable beef soup with lots of potatoes with hot cornbread. My two favorites!

SERIOUSLY Yummmm!

#10 stbarts

stbarts

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

Meat loaf , mashed potatoes & peas

or fried chicken , mashed potatoes & blueberry muffins

#11 JediTreeRat

JediTreeRat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

Meat loaf , mashed potatoes & peas

or fried chicken , mashed potatoes & blueberry muffins

drool
"It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices." Chief Justice John Roberts

#12 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

Almost anything with cheese. Cheese is my chocolate.

I made the recipe with the croissant top and bottom crust, browned breakfast sausage, cream cheese and cheddar cheese that was posted here last week for a part of our breakfast this morning, and I have been snacking on the leftovers all day. Every time I go in the kitchen, I slice off a small bite. But who am I fooling with small bites? I can't stop eating it...and mostly, it's because of all the cheese in it!

Cheese dip and chips, grilled cheese sandwiches, a good fondue...yup, cheese is my comfort food. :wub:

Edited by TabbyCat, 26 December 2010 - 09:58 PM.

#13 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

Almost anything with cheese. Cheese is my chocolate.

I made the recipe with the croissant top and bottom crust, browned breakfast sausage, cream cheese and cheddar cheese that was posted here last week for a part of our breakfast this morning, and I have been snacking on the leftovers all day. Every time I go in the kitchen, I slice off a small bite. But who am I fooling with small bites? I can't stop eating it...and mostly, it's because of all the cheese in it!

Cheese dip and chips, grilled cheese sandwiches, a good fondue...yup, cheese is my comfort food. :wub:

oh man, I totally meant to make that recipe. I think I saved it, i'll hafta look...

I love cheese too! I made a cheese dip today with spinach and rotel, then I realized I forgot to buy chips or crackers. duh.
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#14 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

oh man, I totally meant to make that recipe. I think I saved it, i'll hafta look...

I love cheese too! I made a cheese dip today with spinach and rotel, then I realized I forgot to buy chips or crackers. duh.

You should try it! It's sooo good! The recipe was for 2/2/2/2 of everything (2 lbs sausage, two packages of cream cheese, two cups of cheddar, and 2 cans of croissant dough), but I knew that was too much for us, so I did 1/1/1/1. Of course, it turned out just fine. I just cut it in half.

And though it was really, really good when it was all hot and melty, it's maybe even better after it's cooled completely. It reminds me of sausage cheese balls, only in squares and with a flaky crust. So good. :)

#15 flower child

flower child

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

Chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics