13 replies to this topic

#1 CPC

CPC

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

The COA (Certificate of Authenticity) is the license key for your windows operating system. The sticker changed after XP and now can fade very quickly.

Here is a picture of a COA on a 6 year old laptop:
Posted Image

Looks brand new still doesn't it?

Here is a picture of a 1 year old laptop with the new style COA
Posted Image

The OS version(red arrow) is completely gone and the key is barely legible.

If you can't read the COA and your hard drive totally dies nobody can legally reinstall windows for you on a new drive. You would have to buy a new windows license.

Do yourself a favor and take a picture or write your COA info down now and store it somewhere safe.
  • November Rain likes this

#2 thebookworm

thebookworm

Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

That is some great info! Thanks!
Have you liked us yet??? Take a chance to win FREE books at our store if you do! http://www.facebook....m.PowderSprings
The Book Worm Bookstore
4451 Marietta Street
Powder Springs, GA 30127
(770) 439-2029
http://www.TheBookWormOnline.com
Monday - Saturday 10:00am - 6:00pm

#3 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

Off to find the camera. Thanks!

#4 A Former Geek

A Former Geek

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

A great tip Nick. I have noticed this as well and wondered if it was a secret ploy by Microsoft to rake in more revenue. It's either that or they are to stupid to use a durable tag. Both options cast a bad light on them.

#5 really gone from here

really gone from here

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

Thanks Nick....I checked out my COA and my CYA is covered..... :lol:
*Signature Edited for Content not in Accordance with the PCOM Rules

edited by Deputy Rafe Hollister

#6 November Rain

November Rain

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the tip!

#7 CPC

CPC

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

A great tip Nick. I have noticed this as well and wondered if it was a secret ploy by Microsoft to rake in more revenue. It's either that or they are to stupid to use a durable tag. Both options cast a bad light on them.

I have to assume its on purpose. Win98 stickers through XP worked fine. Why change it?

Now once a laptop is a few years old its essentially worthelss, because it is not worth purchasing a new OS.

I think they would have been better off just saying they will only support an OS for a set number of years. Of course if vista wasn't such a flop they wouldn't have had the problem to begin with.

#8 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,183 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

Why do you use code in your title? I knew it was going to be complicated because you had to use abbreviations :rofl:

Do I look like a geek :ph34r:

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#9 CPC

CPC

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

Why do you use code in your title? I knew it was going to be complicated because you had to use abbreviations :rofl:

Do I look like a geek :ph34r:

I figured people would actually look at it that way :)

If I had said look at your certificate of authenticity nobody would have read itPosted Image

#10 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,183 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:20 PM

I figured people would actually look at it that way :)

If I had said look at your certificate of authenticity nobody would have read itPosted Image

You will have to point that out to me next time I lock you in my bedroom :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#11 CPC

CPC

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

I'll make sure to do an ultra thorough job CYA'ing you on your COA next time I'm locked in your bedroom. I'll bring the beer Posted Image

But you have to promise to keep the biting to a minimum.

#12 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,183 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:32 PM

I'll make sure to do an ultra thorough job CYA'ing you on your COA next time I'm locked in your bedroom. I'll bring the beer Posted Image

But you have to promise to keep the biting to a minimum.

You may have to wrap you ankles in steel!!
I will also expect you to be able to name off at least 1/2 the plants in the garden by then young man :crazy:

El Zorro

#13 CPC

CPC

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

Just wanted to remind everyone about this. We had one come in yesterday with a dead hard drive and the code was gone.

The only legal option is to purchase a new operating system license.

Save yourself $100.00 and take a picture right away! Posted Image

#14 CPC

CPC

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Bumping an old post again, I had one on Friday with a totally dead hard drive and the COA was worn off. If you haven't done it go take a picture or write your code down now!

You'll be glad you did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics