• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,259 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

Ok I use paper plates as chopping boards, I don't have to wash in between onions non onion flavored.
I don't have to worry about bleaching to prevent contamination.
I can tell if things are done by the smell, sound, or site by texture.
Hard thing to teach others.
For the daily meals we eat a lot of steamed veggies small portions of meat, and salads.
Like Mark I only use the real deal when cooking a DISH!
We don't have margarine in our house and a small amount of vegetable oil for the occasional box cake.

I don't bake as a rule too much precise measuring.
I can make a kick butt pie crust because it was a life goal but the Pillsbury is almost as good and no mess.

I love bacon grease and cook with it frequently. I fact I just cooked my talapia fillets in it.

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#42 C Mark Palm

C Mark Palm

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

@BeachBum...cause I was aiming. LOL...that's why I was afraid I hit you.

@Clio...AAACCCKKKK...the smell of collard greens cooking is one the greatest pleasures of my life. I love that smell.

@LPPT...we have a huge jar of bacon grease in our fridge at all times. I cook with it all the time. It's amazing what bacon grease can do to a hamburger fried in a pan. So yummy. I could never be without bacon grease. And I too can tell if something is done by looking at it or touching it. Something I learned from years of cooking. I started cooking when I was about 10 years old. When I got old enough to stay alone on summer break my Mom often came home to cakes, pies, dinner. She thought she had an odd child.

And I bake because I love it. It's like therapy for me.

#43 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

if you put pecans in the pot when you cook collard greens, they won't stink up your house (actually got that one from Paula Deen)

when you're warming up stuff in the microwave, put a bunch of damp papertowels on top of whatever you are heating to keep it from drying out. works best if you use one of those splatter covers on top of the food.

the "Top Secret Restaurant Recipes" books are a wise investment and much cheaper than eating out, and you can tweak the recipes to your liking without worrying about the waitress writing it down wrong (or the cook ignoring your request).

Oooh...I bought one of these (#2) at an estate sale this weekend for about 12 cents. I haven't used it yet, but I have read it.

I have a shamelessly HUGE cookbook collection, but I never follow any recipe exactly. I pull out a few cookbooks (and/or go to a few favorite recipe Web sites) and read bunches of recipes that include the main ingredients I want to use. Then, I go into my kitchen and create with inspiration from my reading. It's my favorite way to cook when I have time to do it that way. And I guess I'm lucky that it always works out well in the end result.

Could that be considered a cooking tip? :unsure:

#44 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

@BeachBum...cause I was aiming. LOL...that's why I was afraid I hit you.

@Clio...AAACCCKKKK...the smell of collard greens cooking is one the greatest pleasures of my life. I love that smell.

@LPPT...we have a huge jar of bacon grease in our fridge at all times. I cook with it all the time. It's amazing what bacon grease can do to a hamburger fried in a pan. So yummy. I could never be without bacon grease. And I too can tell if something is done by looking at it or touching it. Something I learned from years of cooking. I started cooking when I was about 10 years old. When I got old enough to stay alone on summer break my Mom often came home to cakes, pies, dinner. She thought she had an odd child.

I have a cooking tip for C.Mark Willix: Stop posting pics of those delish looking goodies! I am desperately trying NOT to turn into a heffer during this pregnancy, lol. It makes my stomache growl and mouth water when i see that! :lol:

As a rule of thumb, I do not bake much. I am not a great baker. I can cook, but I measure nothing, so this is why I have a hard time baking. My husband teases me b/c I can't make stuff out of a box (Pasta Roni, etc.), but I can whip something complex from scratch.

I have also become great at timing stuff in my head. I will set the timer and it never fails I come back to it with 5 - 10 seconds left on the timer without ever watching a clock.

#45 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

I have a cooking tip for C.Mark Willix: Stop posting pics of those delish looking goodies! I am desperately trying NOT to turn into a heffer during this pregnancy, lol. It makes my stomache growl and mouth water when i see that! :lol:

As a rule of thumb, I do not bake much. I am not a great baker. I can cook, but I measure nothing, so this is why I have a hard time baking. My husband teases me b/c I can't make stuff out of a box (Pasta Roni, etc.), but I can whip something complex from scratch.

I have also become great at timing stuff in my head. I will set the timer and it never fails I come back to it with 5 - 10 seconds left on the timer without ever watching a clock.

Oh oh oh oooooh!

I saw this recipe this week on GMA, and I might even follow it! I'm doing a test batch this weekend, and if it passes my (and my family's) taste test, I am giving it as my baked gift to friends this year. Oh, look at this (and it made me laugh--the comment about peppermint extract in your brownies above):

Ingredients
# 1 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough
# 1 family-sized box brownie mix
# 2 (8oz.) packages cream cheese
# 2 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
# 2 teaspoons peppermint extract, divided
# 4 candy canes, crushed
#
Cooking Directions

Make brownie batter according to package directions, but add 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract.

Bake according to package directions and set aside to cool.

Spray a 9-by-13'' rectangular pan with non-stick cooking spray and spread cookie dough along the bottom, creating an even layer. Bake cookie dough according to package directions, until edges are golden brown. Set aside to cool.

Once brownies have cooled, remove any hard edges and discard (or eat!). Scrape the rest of the baked brownies into a large bowl. Combine brownies with cream cheese to create a thick mixture that is generally uniform in color. Scoop this mixture onto the baked and cooled cookie dough. Smooth the top.

Over a double boiler, melt white chocolate. Gently stir in 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract. Spread melted chocolate over the cookie-brownie mixture, sprinkle with candy canes and let cool. Once chocolate has hardened, cut into bars and enjoy!

NOTES:

When you are melting the chocolate you need to make sure it doesn't get too hot or else it will seize up when you stir in the extract.

Imitation peppermint extract isn't nearly as strong as alcohol or oil based extracts, so you'll have to add more in to get a stronger peppermint flavor. You can taste as you go to get the desired amount.

Scoring the top of the melted white chocolate before putting it into the fridge to set will help prevent the chocolate from cracking.

There's a recipe video here.

#46 C Mark Palm

C Mark Palm

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

The cookies I made last night and the biscuits I made tonight were delicious. And I love posting pics of what I'm making. :pardon:

#47 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

The cookies I made last night and the biscuits I made tonight were delicious. And I love posting pics of what I'm making. :pardon:

I don't blame you, I was just kidding. It looks so wonderful and yummy. I love peanut butter cookies, though, and I would have given anything for some last night, lol! I would post my pics, too. lol

Oh oh oh oooooh!

I saw this recipe this week on GMA, and I might even follow it! I'm doing a test batch this weekend, and if it passes my (and my family's) taste test, I am giving it as my baked gift to friends this year. Oh, look at this (and it made me laugh--the comment about peppermint extract in your brownies above):

Ingredients
# 4 candy canes, crushed
#
Cooking Directions

Make brownie batter according to package directions, but add 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract.

Spray a 9-by-13'' rectangular pan with non-stick cooking spray and spread cookie dough along the bottom, creating an even layer. Bake cookie dough according to package directions, until edges are golden brown. Set aside to cool.

Once brownies have cooled, remove any hard edges and discard (or eat!). Scrape the rest of the baked brownies into a large bowl. Combine brownies with cream cheese to create a thick mixture that is generally uniform in color. Scoop this mixture onto the baked and cooled cookie dough. Smooth the top.

Over a double boiler, melt white chocolate. Gently stir in 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract. Spread melted chocolate over the cookie-brownie mixture, sprinkle with candy canes and let cool. Once chocolate has hardened, cut into bars and enjoy!

NOTES:

When you are melting the chocolate you need to make sure it doesn't get too hot or else it will seize up when you stir in the extract.

Imitation peppermint extract isn't nearly as strong as alcohol or oil based extracts, so you'll have to add more in to get a stronger peppermint flavor. You can taste as you go to get the desired amount.

Scoring the top of the melted white chocolate before putting it into the fridge to set will help prevent the chocolate from cracking.

LET US KNOW HOW THAT TURNS OUT. IT SOUNDS EASY AND GOOD!

#48 KRM

KRM

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

Oh oh oh oooooh!

Ingredients
# 4 candy canes, crushed
#
Cooking Directions

NOTES:

This looks really, really good!! However, I cannot melt chocolate without it seizing... Ask, SOLO, Rockysmom and Kelwil. <_<

Hush up, you Stalker!!

#49 mei lan

mei lan

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:13 PM

@LPPT...we have a huge jar of bacon grease in our fridge at all times. I cook with it all the time.

Ditto to both! I LOVE the smell of any greens cooking. I'm not even hungry and it makes my mouth water just to think of it.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

#50 onlythelonely

onlythelonely

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:00 PM

Well, spill the beans, girl! What happened?

BTW - the Frugal Gourmet isn't on there, but several of the older cooking shows are on the new(ish) Cooking Channel (Channel 232 on DirecTV) - Julia Child, Galloping Gourmet (the British dude), and the Two Fat Ladies (I love them!...I think one of them has died in the last few years). I like this new channel much better than Food Network, which has gotten way too glitzy and entertainment-y for me. I want to see COOKING.

I gave him the beatdown and then went to Confession the next day and was absolved. And we did have the stuffed bell peppers for dinner that night. When he plopped the pan in the garbage he did it right side up, and the garbage can was almost full, so I only had to pick the pan up out of it and wash the bottom off.
About a year later, he was telling this story to a group of people we had over for dinner one night. He was just laughing away but no one else was. You could see by their faces they were thinking, "Omg, what a jacka$$". And that made me happy. :D

#51 sugail

sugail

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:12 PM

I gave him the beatdown and then went to Confession the next day and was absolved. And we did have the stuffed bell peppers for dinner that night. When he plopped the pan in the garbage he did it right side up, and the garbage can was almost full, so I only had to pick the pan up out of it and wash the bottom off.
About a year later, he was telling this story to a group of people we had over for dinner one night. He was just laughing away but no one else was. You could see by their faces they were thinking, "Omg, what a jacka$$". And that made me happy. :D

I know what you mean. It made me happy to get the moral support when I told my story too. I understand when something tastes different and you have every right to tell me if you don't like it, but to obnoxiously throw the whole plate of food away, well that was just rude. I can't cook like I used too because I have fibromyalgia and it takes a lot of effort now.

#52 jlh10101

jlh10101

Bad Boy in a Good Way.

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,748 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

A 3/4 hp garbage disposal, used properly, can turn small game into burger meat in no time at all. For teenagers I recomend a log chipper. :D

Edited by jlh10101, 08 December 2010 - 10:22 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Ever feel like you have a bullseye on your back? You knew I was a snake when you picked me up...

#53 Clio

Clio

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:18 PM

Unshelled???

no, out of the shell.
It is never too late to be what you might have been---George Eliot

Some people dream of having a big swimming pool. With me, it's closets---Audrey Hepburn

The world breaks everyone, and afterward many are strong in the broken places---Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

26+6=1

#54 Clio

Clio

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

I LOVE the smell too, especially when they've been in the crock pot for 10 hours

however, I live with my brother, who I thought would NEVER stop complaining about the smell after the first time I cooked a pot. I can't listen to that again, so I compromised. collards & rice are worth it.
It is never too late to be what you might have been---George Eliot

Some people dream of having a big swimming pool. With me, it's closets---Audrey Hepburn

The world breaks everyone, and afterward many are strong in the broken places---Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

26+6=1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics