Paulding.com

Pauding County Sheriff School Shuttle

I didn't say that it doesn't add up. What I said, or at least implied, was that there is a huge difference between driving kids to school vs. driving out of state on a purely recreational trip in a county vehicle. If you really see no difference, there's really no point in continuing the discussion.

I do see the difference and I also see the cost is the same. To me it is something I wonder about but not something that in any way pisses me off.

I didn't say that it doesn't add up. What I said, or at least implied, was that there is a huge difference between driving kids to school vs. driving out of state on a purely recreational trip in a county vehicle. If you really see no difference, there's really no point in continuing the discussion.

Or we could just take away the comapany cars, and increase their salaries by $6000 per year. The truth of it is, they dont make sheeze for money. I wonder if it is cheaper to be able to supply vehicles and gas, rather than actual money. I see it as part of their salary, not a gouging of my wallet.

Or we could just take away the comapany cars, and increase their salaries by $6000 per year. The truth of it is, they dont make sheeze for money. I wonder if it is cheaper to be able to supply vehicles and gas, rather than actual money. I see it as part of their salary, not a gouging of my wallet.

OK so back to my question of the Officer who has no kids and only uses his/her car for offical business...Do they get paid more to make up for the difference? I mean dang $6000( just using the figure fron above) less a year would not be fair at all to someone who already does not make sheeze.

OK so back to my question of the Officer who has no kids and only uses his/her car for offical business...Do they get paid more to make up for the difference? I mean dang $6000( just using the figure fron above) less a year would not be fair at all to someone who already does not make sheeze.

Just because someone doesn't have kids doesn't mean that they would use the car any less. They are probably going out to eat, on dates, shopping, golfing, maybe they have time to join a softball team, get a season pass to the Braves, etc....

If they take the cars home as part of the job, I see no problem with them dropping off their kids on the way to work.

really?

because the county does.

county employees are the only people authorized to ride in county vehicles. other than detainees.

per the insurance coverage, and county rules.

i'm not 100% certain this applies to sheriff cars. but it sure as heck applies to the whilte county cars and trucks.

**a take home cruiser parked in my driveway every night for 2years, and i was forbidden to even sit in it.

***cobb county car.

• Like 1

There are a number of reasons why you may see deputies dropping off children at schools throughout Paulding County. Rather one would agree or not, we get called out on a regular basis to homes in order to assist with “parenting” issues. There are times were we have to deal with “unruly juvenile” complaints when a child has refused to go to school. In some cases, a deputy may end up transporting that child to school with the parents consent. In other cases, deputies may locate and pick up juveniles attempting to “skip school” in order to hang out with friends. Those juveniles also may be transported to the school by the deputy. Sheriff Gulledge does allow his employees to drop their kids off at school on their way to work in the morning or pick them up on their way home. This is done before or after their shift. The employees that are eligible for and have been assigned a “take home” vehicle are allowed to transport their children in their assigned vehicles. Not every employee at the sheriff’s office has an assigned vehicle.

The “take home” car policy began a few years ago as a way to increase the benefits to our deputies and to compete with surrounding agencies for qualified employees. As the sole law enforcement agency for the non-incorporated areas of Paulding County, we want the best of the best here in our community. To have that, we must compete with the salary and benefits of the other metro Atlanta agencies; most of which have a much larger tax base. Otherwise the well qualified, highly trained and professional police officer would be applying for other agencies outside of Paulding County.

The sheriff and his command staff identified the “take home” car program as the most cost effective way to tax payers and the most beneficial to our employees to raise the “benefits” without raising the deputy’s salaries. A potential raise in salary to compete with other metro agencies would have cost tax payers millions of dollars.

What benefit has the county and its tax payers received? A “take home” car will last five years on patrol; “shared” cars only last 4 years on patrol. A “take home” car receives on average eight oil changes a year; “shared” cars receive on average 19 oil changes a year. There are additional savings in brakes and other routine maintenance that is saved with the “take home” vehicles. These “take home” vehicles have also increased the amount of patrol cars that are observed in our neighborhoods, businesses, and schools. This tactic is meant to serve as a deterrent for crime in our area. These vehicles are not to be driven by the employees during their off duty hours other than when they are reporting to or from work. In other words, you will not see a deputy using their “take home” vehicle for personal use on their off day. Disciplinary action would be taken immediately on anyone found abusing this program.

While some may see this as a misappropriation of funds, the sheriff and county officials have confirmed a savings to tax payers as well as an increase in benefits to employees to substitute a raise in salaries.

There are a number of reasons why you may see deputies dropping off children at schools throughout Paulding County. Rather one would agree or not, we get called out on a regular basis to homes in order to assist with “parenting” issues. There are times were we have to deal with “unruly juvenile” complaints when a child has refused to go to school. In some cases, a deputy may end up transporting that child to school with the parents consent. In other cases, deputies may locate and pick up juveniles attempting to “skip school” in order to hang out with friends. Those juveniles also may be transported to the school by the deputy. Sheriff Gulledge does allow his employees to drop their kids off at school on their way to work in the morning or pick them up on their way home. This is done before or after their shift. The employees that are eligible for and have been assigned a “take home” vehicle are allowed to transport their children in their assigned vehicles. Not every employee at the sheriff’s office has an assigned vehicle.

The “take home” car policy began a few years ago as a way to increase the benefits to our deputies and to compete with surrounding agencies for qualified employees. As the sole law enforcement agency for the non-incorporated areas of Paulding County, we want the best of the best here in our community. To have that, we must compete with the salary and benefits of the other metro Atlanta agencies; most of which have a much larger tax base. Otherwise the well qualified, highly trained and professional police officer would be applying for other agencies outside of Paulding County.

The sheriff and his command staff identified the “take home” car program as the most cost effective way to tax payers and the most beneficial to our employees to raise the “benefits” without raising the deputy’s salaries. A potential raise in salary to compete with other metro agencies would have cost tax payers millions of dollars.

What benefit has the county and its tax payers received? A “take home” car will last five years on patrol; “shared” cars only last 4 years on patrol. A “take home” car receives on average eight oil changes a year; “shared” cars receive on average 19 oil changes a year. There are additional savings in brakes and other routine maintenance that is saved with the “take home” vehicles. These “take home” vehicles have also increased the amount of patrol cars that are observed in our neighborhoods, businesses, and schools. This tactic is meant to serve as a deterrent for crime in our area. These vehicles are not to be driven by the employees during their off duty hours other than when they are reporting to or from work. In other words, you will not see a deputy using their “take home” vehicle for personal use on their off day. Disciplinary action would be taken immediately on anyone found abusing this program.

While some may see this as a misappropriation of funds, the sheriff and county officials have confirmed a savings to tax payers as well as an increase in benefits to employees to substitute a raise in salaries.

what else are people with assigned take home cars allowed to do in them?

grocery shop? go on dates? visit friends/relatives?

how are riders covered by the county insurance?

how much did the insurance increase to cover non employees, non detainees?

what else are people with assigned take home cars allowed to do in them?

grocery shop? go on dates? visit friends/relatives?

how are riders covered by the county insurance?

how much did the insurance increase to cover non employees, non detainees?

The same rules apply that would apply to any other citizen "ride-a-long." "Ride-a-longs" are rare but approved on a case by case basis. The citizen is typically covered by insurance as long as they were approved by the sheriff to be in the vehicle. The insurance is already a substantial amount simply due to the nature of the job we perform and the high probability of damages and injuries that we will see. There has not been an increase because of any citizen ride-a-longs.

The same rules apply that would apply to any other citizen "ride along." "Ride-a-longs" are rare but approved on a case by case basis. The citizen is typically covered by insurance as long as they were approved by the sheriff to be in the vehicle. The insurance is already a substantial amount simply due to the nature of the job we perform and the high probability of damages and injuries that we will see. There has not been an increase because of any citizen ride-a-longs.

ide alongs are 'rare' ....but anyone with a take home car can drop their kid off or pick them up from school? or is that determined n a case by case basis, every morning and afternoon?

and, once your spouse or child is approved for a 'ride along', whether it be for school or work, does new approval need to be given for a trip to a grocery store?

what if the employee has no one riding with them. what's the policy for toodling around town in a take home car, off duty?

surely there has to be a written policy that you can just refer me to.

One thing that I don't participate in is back and forth arguments on a thread. I posted a very detailed response and even posted a follow up for some clarification. As I stated earlier, some will agree with the decisions while others will disagree. We respect both opinions. We deal with all complaints on an employee’s use of their issued vehicle on a case by case basis to determine if disciplinary action is required.

Read the whole post; they are not allowed to use them off duty.

It has already been answered, looks like someone is just wanting to argue.

Simple fact is it's common for LE to have people in the car who are not 'in custody' including witnesses, victims, and other people they offer a variety of assistance too. Insurance already accounts for this.

Deputy Gurley:

Thanks for the post clarifying the policy. It is a common policy used by many law enforcement agencies nationwide. I think one of the restrictions we have on it here in Paulding is that the SO doesn't approve take-home cars for out-of-county residents like some of the Cobb (and other) agencies.

It is good to have these folks in the neighborhoods. I suspect one of the ways that Deputies get approved is to have some special duties/expertise such as SWAT or, I would imagine in your case, public communications.

You guys do a great job. Thanks for the explanation.

pubby

PS: Nobody in Mayberry was at all upset when Andy took Opie to the lake to fish in his police cruiser.

PPS: I think this topic has run its course.