• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Computer Rescue

Computer Rescue

Paulding Com member

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

Fragmentation is a term used to describe your hard drive’s files and their “organization”. In other words, the act of “defragmenting” your hard drive means to organize your files in your hard drive. “Defragmentation”

Fragmented: Files are unorganized.
Defragmented: Files are organized.

An Analogy:
Imagine your computer’s hard drive as a filing cabinet with neat and organized files lining each drawer. You know exactly where each file is located in the filing cabinet and every time you’re asked to find a file you do it quickly and easily.
–This represents a new computer--quick.

Now, imagine you’re out sick one day and someone else does your job but instead of keeping the files organized they put them anywhere they see fit. You return and are asked to find a specific file. Given enough time you will find that file but you aren’t quick anymore and it wasn’t easy.
–This represents a not so new computer—slow.

There are several things one can do to speed up a computer and there are many reasons why a computer might be slow such as insufficient memory, spyware, viruses, needless programs burning up limited resources (memory), and of course fragmented files.

So, to “De-fragment” files you can do this easily as a “Disk Defragmenter” program comes with every version of Windows.

Instructions: (Will vary slightly depending on Windows version (XP, Vista, 7)

Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > “Disk Defragmenter”.

Once you have opened the “Disk Defragmenter” have it analyze your hard drive. (Usually C: drive). The more RED the more fragmented (disorganized) your computer’s hard drive is and the greater the need to run the “Disk Defragmenter”. After words, you can click “Run” to actually defragment the hard drive.

Note: It can take several hours to complete this task and you want to avoid the use the computer during the defragmentation. It is recommended for heavy computer users to run the program at least once a month while others can do it every 2-3 months depending on use.

Computer Rescue of West Georgia can do this and much more with its “Computer Tune-Up” service available to both residential and business computer owners. Defragmenting a hard drive can help but isn’t always enough to get the speed you want out of your computer. Even a 10 year old computer can be given a recognizable speed boost without upgrading hardware!
This service is sometimes called, “Make it last a little longer…”

Call us today to get your computer(s) tuned-up and running smooth again.

Posted Image

Proud to be a Paulding Based Company

Posted Image

http://cpu-rescue.com
Service Hours: Monday-Saturday 8:00AM - 7:00PM
All Major Credit & Debit Cards Accepted

#2 blessedwithboys

blessedwithboys

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:19 AM

Wow, I have to admit that I DO defrag my computer... but never really understood what I was doing! Just knew I needed to do it. LOL
Delight thyself also in the Lord; And he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalms 37:4 KJV ><((((º>

#3 Computer Rescue

Computer Rescue

Paulding Com member

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

Wow, I have to admit that I DO defrag my computer... but never really understood what I was doing! Just knew I needed to do it. LOL

:) I was hoping it would help some folks better understand why it was important to defragment their hard drives. :) Good job taking care of your computer! :)

Posted Image

Proud to be a Paulding Based Company

Posted Image

http://cpu-rescue.com
Service Hours: Monday-Saturday 8:00AM - 7:00PM
All Major Credit & Debit Cards Accepted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics