Paulding.com

If I may interject, this sweetheart deal was designed to sunset, but has been renewed every time it has come up (3 renewals I think). The first renewal was understandable, because Delta was still in dire straights, but that is no longer the case. It should be allowed to sunset, and any effort to sneak it's renewal in at the last minute should be defeated.

Will, correct me if I am mis-characterizing our previous conversation, but we also discussed the fact that the entire revenue system including incentives and State tax credits for specific interests has not been comprehensively reviewed since the last Constitution was drafted back in the 80's. The last session of the State Legislature created a bipartisan committee to study the situation and make recommendations to the Legislature and Governor this coming January. I believe that we discussed that this would be a great opportunity to insure that these types of deals are quashed. While Delta's deal is now no longer a mutually advantageous arrangement, it is not alone. There are many such "gifts" to special interests throughout the state including the timber and pulpwood industries, as well as the developers of large scale resort and residential properties among others. These deals are not the exclusive purview of either party, and I applaud your willingness to tackle these types of crony capitalistic arrangements without regard to who sponsored the legislation or who benefits politically from the arrangement.

I believe A.D.Frazier, who headed up the Atlanta Olympic Committee is in charge of the Tax Exemption Review Committee. He did a good job with the Olympics and hopefully he can do as well with this. As I understand it, they will turn in their recommendations to the Legislature who will either adopt them as written, or not. No changes or amendments.

And I presume there are some for the poultry industry as well. I say this because I recall when reviewing Richardson's campaign donations a year or two ago, in a 3-4 month time frame he banked a MAJOR donation from every single poultry production company in Georgia. None to speak of before then, and none sense. The industry has been profitable, even with the ethanol fiasco continuing since 2008, so they should be paying their full tax load just like everyone else, including Delta.

And no Foxmeister, NG, et al; Delta will be going no where else as a base hub. It would take 15-20 years and untold billions of dollars to even attempt to build an airport anywhere else with the infrastructure Hartsfield has. It just ain't gonna happen.

And with Southwestern now coming into Hartsfield via the AirTrans deal, Delta will be even more attached to Atlanta in order to be competitive.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This year, Paulding County has a real choice in whom to elect to represent District 19 in the Georgia House of Representatives. We can choose to elect a leader with a vision—who understands the proble

I am disappointed in your response in that you have no qualms about letting illegal immigrants attend, you are only concerned with how they pay for it. Because they have committed a crime or have ben

It's that arrogant statement of yours and Mr. Avery's that Delta will never leave that is the dumbest thing! The other cities in the southeast will gladly chip away at the flights Delta offers and happily offer incentives to attract more. No one can rest on their laurels. I knew when I posted my earlier response making reference to the expansion of flights at Memphis that Mr. Avery would focus on it being only one flight to Mexico rather than the bigger picture that Delta has options other than Atlanta.

My statement was based on experience. I have been involved with Delta and Hartsfield projects for the last 35 years. I know that what Delta has built in Atlanta would be nearly impossible to duplicate in another location.

What you are not understanding is Delta requires a huge number of connecting flights to support their international flights. There is not another airport in the south or the east (with the exception of O'Hare) that can handle that kind of traffic.

I'll bet you $100 that Delta doesn't leave Atlanta in our lifetime regardless of whether they have to start paying their fair share of taxes or not.

I recall quite a few folks repeatedly saying that this was not about "R" or "D" ???

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

There were no Democrats on the Board of Commissioners when my property tax went up.

So I guess I have to agree with you on this one. ;)

So we have a "D" running who has come on to p.com to answer all questions presented, and has some rather detailed plans put forth on his website, and on p.com for various proposals to help bring industry and jobs [and tax relief] to Paulding.

And we have an "R" running who has not been seen or heard from in public since winning the run-off against Daniel Stout and whose website has a couple of "Tea Party" catch phrases and no substance of any kind.

Tell your family, friends and neighbors to get involved and educate themselves on the 2 candidates in the District 19 Race for the Legislature. They owe it to themselves and to Paulding County to get out and vote for the candidate who can do the most to provide us with the representation we deserve under the Gold Dome.

I believe Mr Avery has shown himself to be on top of what has been going on under the Gold Dome and how it affects Paulding County for years and has the plans to provide us with good representation in the future.

• Like 2

So we have a "D" running who has come on to p.com to answer all questions presented, and has some rather detailed plans put forth on his website, and on p.com for various proposals to help bring industry and jobs [and tax relief] to Paulding.

And we have an "R" running who has not been seen or heard from in public since winning the run-off against Daniel Stout and whose website has a couple of "Tea Party" catch phrases and no substance of any kind.

Tell your family, friends and neighbors to get involved and educate themselves on the 2 candidates in the District 19 Race for the Legislature. They owe it to themselves and to Paulding County to get out and vote for the candidate who can do the most to provide us with the representation we deserve under the Gold Dome.

I believe Mr Avery has shown himself to be on top of what has been going on under the Gold Dome and how it affects Paulding County for years and has the plans to provide us with good representation in the future.

I actually began to think you were running or was Avery's mouthpiece as you took it upon yourself to answer a lot of questions for him rather than let him answer them himself. Afraid he might get them wrong?

• Like 1

Here's my "local issue" for Mr. Avery:

I want a candidate that will CLEARLY and EMPHATICALLY say NO and not vote to spend more money that our State doesn't have. I want a candidate who will stand up and simply say "NO, WE CAN'T AFFORD IT." It doesn't matter how wonderful the program or how much help it will provide to a needed group, if we don't have the money, then I want him to vote NO and not to spend it. No more robbing Peter to pay Paul or implementing a program and then creating a new tax (or fee) to cover the cost of the latest/greatest program.

I want a candidate that will take our budget, cut out the pork, and use my money wisely. In the face of all of the issues that this state and county needs to deal with, this is the biggest issue for me.

So, is Mr. Avery willing to commit to doing those things in order to get this Republican's vote?

• Like 1

Here's my "local issue" for Mr. Avery:

I want a candidate that will CLEARLY and EMPHATICALLY say NO and not vote to spend more money that our State doesn't have. I want a candidate who will stand up and simply say "NO, WE CAN'T AFFORD IT." It doesn't matter how wonderful the program or how much help it will provide to a needed group, if we don't have the money, then I want him to vote NO and not to spend it. No more robbing Peter to pay Paul or implementing a program and then creating a new tax (or fee) to cover the cost of the latest/greatest program.

I want a candidate that will take our budget, cut out the pork, and use my money wisely. In the face of all of the issues that this state and county needs to deal with, this is the biggest issue for me.

So, is Mr. Avery willing to commit to doing those things in order to get this Republican's vote?

The short answer is yes I intend to stand up to over spending. I will however, fight to make sure that projects such as the horse park and bass pond in the Governor's hometown are not a priority. Money spent on projects such as these are better spent toward keeping teachers employed and toward transportation projects. I plan to use my vote to restore the homeowners tax relief grant that will save almost all homeowners 300 per year by helping keep property taxes low. I do not plan to balance the budget on the shoulders of Paulding's families and businesses and will fight for lower taxes for all residents of our county.

I don't think that's enough. :rolleyes:

:lol:

It felt like it was enough.

I actually began to think you were running or was Avery's mouthpiece as you took it upon yourself to answer a lot of questions for him rather than let him answer them himself. Afraid he might get them wrong?

Gee whiz! Get that rod out of your ass Fox. :huh:

Something strange is going on in this thread, A lot of question for Will Avery,And a few negative comments, Yet no one is saying what Paulette will do if elected?

Are ya'll all okay with her platform as outlined on her web site? Are ya'll okay with her refusal to debate the issues? Are ya'll okay With her tax and spend habits while serving on the school board for eight years? After all she was partly responsible for eight tax increases in eight years, Every property owner can attest to this record,Just take a peek at your tax bills.

Ethics............. Is this the caliber of person you want representing Paulding County???????????????????????

Gee whiz! Get that rod out of your ass Fox. :huh:

I asked several questions that surepip took upon himself to answer before Avery did. The questions were not directed to surepip, but to the candidate who started this thread inviting us to ask him questions, not surepip. Got it?

:D

Something strange is going on in this thread, A lot of question for Will Avery,And a few negative comments, Yet no one is saying what Paulette will do if elected?

Are ya'll all okay with her platform as outlined on her web site? Are ya'll okay with her refusal to debate the issues? Are ya'll okay With her tax and spend habits while serving on the school board for eight years? After all she was partly responsible for eight tax increases in eight years, Every property owner can attest to this record,Just take a peek at your tax bills.

Ethics............. Is this the caliber of person you want representing Paulding County???????????????????????

Whitey! It's Will's thread. :huh:

So what, I am just curious as to why all the questions And no one has said what Paulette would do if elected?

No you are not. You have no intention of voting for her. However, she's actually very accessible. Her phone number is on her website. If you really want info, just call her. :drinks:

What are your plans to move the reservoir permitting and construction quicker?

What plan/ideas do you have to improve the transportation in Paulding?

I don't want a fluffed up political answer....I want concrete information.

Thanks!

No you are not. You have no intention of voting for her. However, she's actually very accessible. Her phone number is on her website. If you really want info, just call her. :drinks:

I am not running for office Paulette is, And for her to ignore this media and the debates is really unthinkable for a candidate who wants to represent Paulding County

Pau;ette should come out of hiding and answer some questions.

I am not running for office Paulette is, And for her to ignore this media and the debates is really unthinkable for a candidate who wants to represent Paulding County

Pau;ette should come out of hiding and answer some questions.

Staying away from p.com doesn't equal "in hiding". Well, in your world it does. Guess I'll go hide for a while.

• Like 1

Whitey, Paulette has fingers and a mouth, so does Will. I think it would help if everyone let him answer the questions people are asking.

I can't be sure why she won't post on Pcom but I have my ideas about that. ;)

It would really help if Paulette would answer a few questions,

Of all the questions asked of Will in this thread, Do you have any idea what Paulettes response would be for the same questions?

Staying away from p.com doesn't equal "in hiding". Well, in your world it does. Guess I'll go hide for a while.

Forget her not coming on P.Com she did not even make the debate set up by the Chamber, Amazing how you defender her?

I asked several questions that surepip took upon himself to answer before Avery did. The questions were not directed to surepip, but to the candidate who started this thread inviting us to ask him questions, not surepip. Got it?

So?

It would really help if Paulette would answer a few questions,

Of all the questions asked of Will in this thread, Do you have any idea what Paulettes response would be for the same questions?

Forget her not coming on P.Com she did not even make the debate set up by the Chamber, Amazing how you defender her?

Have you contacted her and asked those questions?? Just curious. Besides, this is Will's thread. :drinks:

Thanks!

Try this. Go to Will's profile and click on "posts". All of these questions have been answered by Will (threw that in just for Foxster).

I'm not answering for Will. I just know that he is working hard right now and might not be on p.com as much as usual. Better yet, send him an email and give him a little time to respond. He is working some long days.

Whether he wins are not, he is by far the hardest working candidate in this race.

The short answer is yes I intend to stand up to over spending. I will however, fight to make sure that projects such as the horse park and bass pond in the Governor's hometown are not a priority. Money spent on projects such as these are better spent toward keeping teachers employed and toward transportation projects. I plan to use my vote to restore the homeowners tax relief grant that will save almost all homeowners 300 per year by helping keep property taxes low. I do not plan to balance the budget on the shoulders of Paulding's families and businesses and will fight for lower taxes for all residents of our county.

That's the thing, I'm not asking you to lower my taxes. I'm asking you not to spend money on projects that we can't afford, regardless of who is helped. If you vote to spend millions of dollars on improving the roads and infrastructure for Paulding, where will that money come from? If you vote to save homeowners $300 a year, what happens to the worthwhile projects that may be funded from that money?

If balancing the budget means that my taxes don't go down, then I'm okay with that. Saying that you're going to cut taxes is a canned political answer, but if we can get (and keep) Georgia out of debt, then isn't that better for all of us in the long run?

That's the thing, I'm not asking you to lower my taxes. I'm asking you not to spend money on projects that we can't afford, regardless of who is helped. If you vote to spend millions of dollars on improving the roads and infrastructure for Paulding, where will that money come from? If you vote to save homeowners $300 a year, what happens to the worthwhile projects that may be funded from that money?

If balancing the budget means that my taxes don't go down, then I'm okay with that. Saying that you're going to cut taxes is a canned political answer, but if we can get (and keep) Georgia out of debt, then isn't that better for all of us in the long run?

Sounds like you want Roy Barnes to be governor. When he left office the state was running in the black. In eight years Perdue blew all the money in reserves plus what he didn't have. So Roy is an ass, he knows how to run the state and doesn't mind pissing people off to make it run efficiently.

Some government employees need to be micro-managed.

That may be your issue, But my issue is to fund the Home owners tax relief grant that was passed in the 90's and has been funded every year except the past two. For too long the tax breaks have gone to the large Corporations It is past time to fund the HTRG

As per my friend Feelip, "So?".

I am familiar with the Tier System and how it has had a negative impact on Paulding. And I had discussions with several of our ex-BOC members when we were trying to get an industrial park instead of another PRD built on the land we had a 1st Option on between 2002 and 2006. I had companies I work with in Brasil and France and Holland who were looking for USA sights and I wanted them to move here. Save me a lot of travel time. The tier rating we have prevented anything in the way of industrial incentives. They are now located in South Memphis, Ms; Tulsa, Ok.; and Bloomington, Indiana.

And, because of the amount of time I have spent on Delta, and other airplanes, and the Delta pilots and other personnel I know, I am most familiar with how Delta built up their hub system.

Atlanta is critical to Delta 1000 times more than Delta is critical to Atlanta. Without Hartsfield, Delta could not survive.

There are waiting lines for the Delta gates and facilities if they chose to downsize their worldwide operations and leave Atlanta. They would have to cancel 25% to 50% of their daily flights if they did not have Hartsfield, and your statements otherwise really are kind of lame.

Staying away from p.com AND staying away from all public events and forums set up for the candidates as well as all other public political affiliated meetings since the Primary Run-Offis does very much equal her being "In Hiding".

And she is going to continue to stay in hiding. She cannot come on P.com, or address the public at the various forums simply because she has no answers for these types of questions. Paulette has her "Tea Party" buzzwords and some lame fluff, family values, the TRUE conservative BS, and that is about it.

There are lots of questions, but I don't think she has any answers.

But Hey, that's OK, she has the "R" next to her name and says she is a Tea Party Conservative.

If I am not mistaken, the permitting is there. The first step is going to be to make sure in this next legislative session that the inter-basin transfer of water legislation that was pushed last session does not come back up. Since Paulding is split between two water basins (Etowah and Chattahoochee) this would pretty much put an end to any hope that the reservoir become a reality. I plan to make sure that Paulding's water rights are at the top of the priority list when it comes down to it an will fight for our residents and their right to have access to water.

Of course the HWY 92 widening. 92 is one of the easiest roads in north Georgia to widen. I think you can count on one hand the number of curves between HWY 41 and I-20, expect for the 90 degree turn at cross roads. In addition it is feasible to create a western arc that comes off of I-75 at the new Red Top Mtn road exist crosses through Paulding near the new airport and heads down to toward I-85 near LaGrange. This will funnel traffic by the new airport helping to make it viable to industry.

Thanks!

Realistically, no politician can promise to lower taxes. I have grown to hate the so called "fees" that we are all being hit with that allow our representatives to wash their hands clean of raising taxes. I can tell you what one of my priorities would be, and that would be to reinstate the homeowners tax relief grant. Because this got eliminated homeowners are paying approximately the same in property taxes even though property values went down (this portion has nothing to do with the milage rate). I don't want to sit and promise lower taxes, but I will promise that I will not support pork spending like fish ponds and horse parks that have nothing to do with bettering the lives of the people and businesses of Paulding County. I want to focus on projects like transportation and education that will positively benefit our residents and their families through increased job opportunities and an improved standard of living. My focus will always remain on what is best for our people, and I ask for your input on this as well.

I understand the issues that affect us as a county and plan to act on those issues with the help of the public and the people that vote for me.

As per my friend Feelip, "So?".

I am familiar with the Tier System and how it has had a negative impact on Paulding. And I had discussions with several of our ex-BOC members when we were trying to get an industrial park instead of another PRD built on the land we had a 1st Option on between 2002 and 2006. I had companies I work with in Brasil and France and Holland who were looking for USA sights and I wanted them to move here. Save me a lot of travel time. The tier rating we have prevented anything in the way of industrial incentives. They are now located in South Memphis, Ms; Tulsa, Ok.; and Bloomington, Indiana.

And, because of the amount of time I have spent on Delta, and other airplanes, and the Delta pilots and other personnel I know, I am most familiar with how Delta built up their hub system.

Atlanta is critical to Delta 1000 times more than Delta is critical to Atlanta. Without Hartsfield, Delta could not survive.

There are waiting lines for the Delta gates and facilities if they chose to downsize their worldwide operations and leave Atlanta. They would have to cancel 25% to 50% of their daily flights if they did not have Hartsfield, and your statements otherwise really are kind of lame.

You're not the candidate running for office. I asked him the questions to see what HIS answers were, but obviously you feel you're more qualified than him to answer the questions instead. The whole idea is to find out how much the candidate knows, not you.

You're not the candidate running for office. I asked him the questions to see what HIS answers were, but obviously you feel you're more qualified than him to answer the questions instead. The whole idea is to find out how much the candidate knows, not you.

So tell me Fox, how confident are you of the knowledge base of the GOP candidate? Here's a little video from earlier this year when she deemed it appropriate to talk publicly.

Fox:

In reviewing the video, among the first things Ms. Braddock states as fact is the notion that over half of all employment in Georgia is in the public sector. This occurs about 3 - 3:50 into the above video.

This notion is not knowledge at all, it is pure bs and grossly untrue to the point of being clueless ... which incidentially is one of the major concerns of many of my Republican friends and others who have served with her on public boards.

Oh, for the absolute fact, according to the BLS nationally - and Georgia is not some kind of welfare capital so the figures should be even lower on average - only about 17.3 percent of the labor force is employed by the government in any capacity (from the military to street sweepers in Boise, Idaho - i.e. state and local government as well as federal employment combined.) Fully 82.7 percent of all those employed nationally are employed by private enterprise and this dramatically lower than most other western nations.

Why Ms. Braddock presents the idea that most jobs in Georgia are government jobs I don't know. I just know that this assertion exaggerates the problem by a factor of three-times. What I do know is the exaggeration is the difference in fear most folks would feel if confronted with a 20 pound poodle and a 60 pound pit bull.

But to return to point, anyone who has actually been in attendance at school board meetings she attended or even watched videos like that above, knows that Ms. Braddocks strength is not based on a firm grasp of the real facts.

pubby

Oh, excuuuuuusssssseeeeee me!

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa.

I have a reasonable grasp of Will Avery's understanding of the challenges Paulding County has, and I will have to say it is evident you do not.

But I will gracefully bow out of offering additional comments or references to the issues at hand.

And I sincerely hope you might be able to get our illustrious Republican candidate to offer up some of her solutions to the problems faced by our local taxpayers. But I seriously doubt there will be much of anything from her, and less from you.

The tier system as currently legislated is seriously flawed. As is our tax exemption programs for businesses and others who do not require them or need them other than to rip off the citizens of Georgia.

Yes I too have been guilty of interjecting my views into the questions asked of Mr. Avery.

Now it seems that this whole thread which was intended for the candidate to answer questions placed before him to answer, has been (TOTALLY HIJACKED)even by the head moderator in chief pubster.

How about we all shut our traps and let Mr. Avery answer the questions himself? :pardon:

Not being on p.com PLUS refusing to debate PLUS refusing a second debate PLUS refusing a third debate PLUS going on a Caribbean cruise 2 weeks before the election EQUALS "in hiding".

Being arrested in 1999 PLUS being arrested in 2003 PLUS bankrupting a business to the tune of $1.1M PLUS being under an ethics investigation EQUALS "a sketchy, at best, past."

All of the above EQUALS unqualified.

Not being on p.com PLUS refusing to debate PLUS refusing a second debate PLUS refusing a third debate PLUS going on a Caribbean cruise 2 weeks before the election EQUALS "in hiding".

Being arrested in 1999 PLUS being arrested in 2003 PLUS bankrupting a business to the tune of $1.1M PLUS being under an ethics investigation EQUALS "a sketchy, at best, past."

All of the above EQUALS unqualified.

My guess would be that you wouldn't be brave enough to tell us how you really feel.

And besides remember what the teacher said "don't speak until your are asked to". :pardon:

I think Will Avery has done a good job coming onto p.com to answer questions.

I did not know no one else was allowed to offer their comments, but to defer to the old salt retired [?] military Fox, I will leave my comments for other threads and topics.

Have at it Fox.

You have the floor......