Paulding.com

They do have a nursing program, but it is only offered at the South Cobb/Austell campus. With the new hospital opening here, there will be an increased demand right here in our own community and it is the perfect opportunity to create a college to job "pipeline" for our residents.

I have to ask this; on what facts are you basing there would be a nursing school market worthy of Chatt Tech to invest millions? It would have to be more than just a new hospital opening in Paulding.

Another question: What actions should the state legislature be taking to entice more manufacturing to come to GA? What should be done locally to entice manufacturing to come to Paulding County?

What initiatives should the state legislature take to create other jobs?

Edited by Foxmeister
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This year, Paulding County has a real choice in whom to elect to represent District 19 in the Georgia House of Representatives. We can choose to elect a leader with a vision—who understands the proble

I am disappointed in your response in that you have no qualms about letting illegal immigrants attend, you are only concerned with how they pay for it. Because they have committed a crime or have ben

I have to ask this; on what facts are you basing there would be a nursing school market worthy of Chatt Tech to invest millions? It would have to be more than just a new hospital opening in Paulding.

Another question: What actions should the state legislature be taking to entice more manufacturing to come to GA? What should be done locally to entice manufacturing to come to Paulding County?

What initiatives should the state legislature take to create other jobs?

The new hospital will have initially over 200 beds and another medical office building is being built to the same specs as the one that is there right now. The master plan for Bill Curruth Pkwy is to use it as a medical corridor for medical offices.

As far as incentives go, we must work to lower Paulding Counties' industrial development tier level. This is a complicated piece of legislation, but it unfairly punishes Paulding County in giving tax benefits to industries coming here based upon our population. We need to allow amendments to the law that will increase tax benefits for companies coming here. We need to improve transportation networks that will benefit large scale business that want to consider coming here. I local BOC is already working on this, but they need cooperation from the state level to make sure that Paulding is given a priority. We can't expect large scale industries to come here until we have improved our counties' access to interstates and have moved to provide our own water. An expansion of rail spurs into the county will also benefit the enticement for industry to come in the county.

Paulding, as a Bedroom Community has been negatively impacted by the existing tier system for 10 years now. Because our population soared to over 100,000; and because we are adjacent to Cobb, we are penalized and placed in basically the same tier as Cobb. Harralson and Polk on the other hand have tier ratings that allow them to get numerous benefits from the State to attract industrial growth.

The legislation could be easily amended to allow counties with over 100,000; but less than 25% non-residential tax base to move to a tier level allowing more industrial growth.

From what I understand, it is going to take time to get us back to where we were with the Resevoir the end of 2008. By ignoring the Corp of Engineer's request for information they took us off the fast tract list.

We have the tractor-trailer traffic from the Powder Spring Intermodal yard coming through Paulding now, on their way to I75 via 92, or west on 278. But there are no workable industrial parks or even a truck diesel station.

And now is the time to re-address the impact fee situation on a State level while the housing development is at a stop. That will be a challenge but the residential homeowners should not have ALL of the infrastructure burden while at the same time allowing the developers to make their profits and then leave the county with the bills to provide the infrastructure.

Thanks for coming on p.com to address these issues Will.

• Like 1

The new hospital will have initially over 200 beds and another medical office building is being built to the same specs as the one that is there right now. The master plan for Bill Curruth Pkwy is to use it as a medical corridor for medical offices.

As far as incentives go, we must work to lower Paulding Counties' industrial development tier level. This is a complicated piece of legislation, but it unfairly punishes Paulding County in giving tax benefits to industries coming here based upon our population. We need to allow amendments to the law that will increase tax benefits for companies coming here. We need to improve transportation networks that will benefit large scale business that want to consider coming here. I local BOC is already working on this, but they need cooperation from the state level to make sure that Paulding is given a priority. We can't expect large scale industries to come here until we have improved our counties' access to interstates and have moved to provide our own water. An expansion of rail spurs into the county will also benefit the enticement for industry to come in the county.

Just because the hospital will have 200 beds and another medical office building built, does not mean it will create a viable market for Chatt Tech to expand its campus to add a nursing program in Paulding County.

How do you propose to pay to expand 92 from I75 to I20? Do you have any idea how eminent domain would have to come into play and how that will effect the owners of property to include businesses along 92?

I'd like to know how you define large scale industries.

The idea that I have most often proposed is eliminating the huge tax exemption given to Delta on fuel, which was imposed immediately post-9/11. Delta is not at risk for relocating, however, because there is not another airport that has the capacity or capability to hold it. Delta is firmly planted in the Atlanta area. I am firm supporter on a macro level to corporate tax exemptions, but I am opposed to unnecessary ones staying in place.

As far as demand for a nursing program goes, if we have a brand new medical corridor developing there will be demand for a program here. Keep saying nay if you wish.

Wow! That's a pretty presumptuous and naive statement regarding Delta being firmly planted in Georgia. There are other airports in the southeast that would gladly work behind the scenes to lure Delta's hub away from Atlanta. I think you would be caught off guard and leave Georgians scratching their heads much like the politicians in Dayton, OH who watched NCR transfer their headquarters to Gwinnett County, GA last year. Never say never. http://www.daytondailynews.com/business/local-ncr-employees-being-told-whether-they-will-get-jobs-in-ga--223655.html

Memphis, TN comes to mind as a competitor for Delta. It may not happen immediately but there are always other options for Delta besides Atlanta. http://finchannel.com/news_flash/Travel_Biz_News/72951_Delta_Air_Lines_Adding_Sixth_International_Destination_from_Memphis/

"Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) on October 12 announced it is adding a sixth international destination from its hub at Memphis International Airport with a new weekly flight to Mexico City beginning Jan. 8, 2011."

and

“From our new flights to Mexico to our long-standing and highly successful daily nonstop flights to Amsterdam, we take very seriously our role in connecting Memphis to the world and remain committed to this hub’s success.”

Wow! That's a pretty presumptuous and naive statement regarding Delta being firmly planted in Georgia. There are other airports in the southeast that would gladly work behind the scenes to lure Delta's hub away from Atlanta. I think you would be caught off guard and leave Georgians scratching their heads much like the politicians in Dayton, OH who watched NCR transfer their headquarters to Gwinnett County, GA last year. Never say never. http://www.daytondailynews.com/business/local-ncr-employees-being-told-whether-they-will-get-jobs-in-ga--223655.html

Memphis, TN comes to mind as a competitor for Delta. It may not happen immediately but there are always other options for Delta besides Atlanta. http://finchannel.com/news_flash/Travel_Biz_News/72951_Delta_Air_Lines_Adding_Sixth_International_Destination_from_Memphis/

"Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) on October 12 announced it is adding a sixth international destination from its hub at Memphis International Airport with a new weekly flight to Mexico City beginning Jan. 8, 2011."

and

“From our new flights to Mexico to our long-standing and highly successful daily nonstop flights to Amsterdam, we take very seriously our role in connecting Memphis to the world and remain committed to this hub’s success.”

And the minute Delta chooses to leave Atlanta, one of the world's most extensive and impressive airports, another carrier will come swooping in to take advantage of the vacancy.

I like the fact that Will Avery is willing to make large established business stand on its own instead of coddling them with corporate welfare. It's a very free market approach that puts the onus on the corporation to compete for survival, which all our "true conservatives" (saw that on a sign once) should be thrilled to hear.

mrnn

Edited by mrnn

And the minute Delta chooses to leave Atlanta, one of the world's most extensive and impressive airports, another carrier will come swooping in to take advantage of the vacancy.

I like the fact that Will Avery is willing to make large established business stand on its own instead of coddling them with corporate welfare. It's a very free market approach that puts the onus on the corporation to compete for survival, which all our "true conservatives" (saw that on a sign once) should be thrilled to hear.

mrnn

Then he and you are for much deregulation of industry? Let them all compete on their own merits without interference from the government? Sounds like you might have some conservative thoughts afterall.

Then he and you are for much deregulation of industry? Let them all compete on their own merits without interference from the government? Sounds like you might have some conservative thoughts afterall.

And Delta has had an unfair advantage over AirTrans for 9 years now, and still ended up in a bankruptcy where their Board Members got bonuses equal to their annual tax exemption for posting the largest loss an airlines ever had.

There are numerous tax exemptions which were put into place for a year or 2 to help out a company [like Delta] and have since become grandfathered every year. But at the same time, the Legislature taxes away the Homeowner's Tax Credit.

Just does not seem right to me.

Wow! That's a pretty presumptuous and naive statement regarding Delta being firmly planted in Georgia. There are other airports in the southeast that would gladly work behind the scenes to lure Delta's hub away from Atlanta. I think you would be caught off guard and leave Georgians scratching their heads much like the politicians in Dayton, OH who watched NCR transfer their headquarters to Gwinnett County, GA last year. Never say never. http://www.daytondai...ga--223655.html

Memphis, TN comes to mind as a competitor for Delta. It may not happen immediately but there are always other options for Delta besides Atlanta. http://finchannel.co...n_from_Memphis/

and

"From our new flights to Mexico to our long-standing and highly successful daily nonstop flights to Amsterdam, we take very seriously our role in connecting Memphis to the world and remain committed to this hub's success."

Atlanta is not remotely at risk of losing Delta. First of all, H-J Atlanta International is the world's busiest airport, both in terms of flights and passengers. Not a single other airport comes close in America. Delta takes up most of the T, A, B, D, and E gates, and will likely also hold most of the gates in the new international terminal being constructed.

According to the article that you posted, Memphis currently has a single new destination, a once-weekly international flight to Mexico City. Memphis does not have the capability to house the home of Delta Airlines, plain and simple. It would cost hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars for Delta to relocate itself to Memphis.

What has been proposed is closing a corporate tax loophole given only to Delta, and not any other airlines, that was put in place directly after 9/11. Closing it will not cause Delta to relocate, because it would be incredibly fiscally irresponsible for them to do so. Moving operations to anywhere would force Delta to build facilities including repair hangars, parking hangars, terminals, office buildings, etc, and to boot abandon a community that they have been a part of for decades. The airline industry is quite different from manufacturing. 55% of Delta passengers pass through our airport. That will not be changing any time soon.

Let's see, what is Chicago's largest airport?? Didn't they just lose one of their major airlines because of a merge?? If you make Delta angry, there are going to be a lot more people out of work. I'm just saying. :drinks:

I'm sure Southwest/Airtran would welcome the absence of Delta. I believe they already have their own workforce. ;)

Let's see, what is Chicago's largest airport?? Didn't they just lose one of their major airlines because of a merge?? If you make Delta angry, there are going to be a lot more people out of work. I'm just saying. :drinks:

I'm sure Southwest/Airtran would welcome the absence of Delta. I believe they already have their own workforce. ;)

Nature girl...

Would it make you mad if a competing stucco company got to operate without having to pay employee taxes while you have to? I mean if you'd think it great that you didn't have pay those taxes and I'm sure you'd be mad if someone took the break away from you.

But either way you're mad.

In fact if the state of Georgia would take the tax break away, I'm not sure Little Rock, Memphis, Birmingham or maybe Oklahoma City would give them the tax break on the fuel ... but even if they did, would Delta move there?

I do know for a fact that all the other airlines are mad because Delta is getting the subsidy.

And just like those subsidies that make you cringe - you know the one's for those supposed welfare queens - letting these folks off the hook for that sum of money makes them 'dependent' on the government. The big difference is that Delta, because they are big and profitable, can afford to spend millions to keep the general assembly well lubricated so they can continue their dependent behaviors.

I though you were 'personal' responsibility. Or does that kind of personal responsibility not extend to individual corporations?

pubby

See Pubby, that's the problem - no one looks at the long term effects. If the government were subsidizing another stucco company, I could get mad or I could look to them to earn some $. I can walk away or I can turn profits with their help. I might could even find a market that would afford me the same opportunity that stucco company received. ;)

Now what would happen to Atlanta if Delta goes away?? Not maybe, not hypothetically...........nothing is guaranteed. Do you think those other airlines would be happy if they disappeared into another market?? I believe there would be lots of people waiting in line for the jobs Delta would bring, but what would happen to the jobs lost in Atlanta.

Nothing, and I mean nothing is guaranteed. It's much better to look at the whole picture, long term, than quick, fix it today and the heck with the future attitude.

There is not another Hub airport South of the Mason-Dixon line that could even come close to servicing Delta's Flights.

They have done so well with their International Destinations because of the enormous number of connecting flights available out of Hartsfield to the various destinations from Texas to Virgina.

They got the tax break on fuel to cut them some slack after 9-11. They have abused it since, and blantantly showed that by paing the Board members almost $500 million in bonuses several years later. And they "earned" these bonuses for posting the largest lost ever ?

Come on now, this is "responsible" government ? All the rest of us pay our fuel taxes, Delta should also. And now that they are merged with Northwest you expect the taxpayers of Georgia to continue to subsidize them ?

See Pubby, that's the problem - no one looks at the long term effects. If the government were subsidizing another stucco company, I could get mad or I could look to them to earn some $. I can walk away or I can turn profits with their help. I might could even find a market that would afford me the same opportunity that stucco company received. ;)

Now what would happen to Atlanta if Delta goes away?? Not maybe, not hypothetically...........nothing is guaranteed. Do you think those other airlines would be happy if they disappeared into another market?? I believe there would be lots of people waiting in line for the jobs Delta would bring, but what would happen to the jobs lost in Atlanta.

Nothing, and I mean nothing is guaranteed. It's much better to look at the whole picture, long term, than quick, fix it today and the heck with the future attitude.

Think about what you are saying because what your wrote sound like you're a champion of corporate welfare ... which frankly, both parties are to one degree or another.

The difference between them, frankly, is that the GOP wants to cut out all the 'welfare' for real living breathing people and give it all to the 'corporations' so the benefit will trickle down (after their corporate donors take the lions share) whereas the Dems say, lets cut the corporate welfare a little (they get money from those same folks are are basically as corrupt) and keep the government assistance for the real, living people because we can do more for them when the corporate heads don't take their 30 percent off the top.

Which brings us all back to the conversation between Joe Stalin and Winston Churchill ... Stalin remarking on the gross corruption of western democracies and Churchill replying, in essence, yep, worst system imaginable except for all the others.

pubby

No other airline in Atlanta employs the number of people Delta does. Start taking their tax credits away and they will relocate a lot of their operations elsewhere. That doesn't mean they have to locate everything they have in Atlanta to just one airport either. I'm sure O'Hare and Detroit Metro would love to have more Delta flights originating from their terminals.

GM is to Fint, MI that Delta is to Atlanta. Ford and Chrysler are to the Detroit area that Delta is to Atlanta. Oldsmobile WAS to Lansing, MI that Delta is to Atlanta. Now look at all three of those markets and ask yourself why they are like they are.

I still haven't had my questions answered by Avery on how he proposes the costs for enlarging 92 and creating more rails spurs would be paid for.

Edited by Foxmeister

No other airline in Atlanta employs the number of people Delta does. Start taking their tax credits away and they will relocate a lot of their operations elsewhere. That doesn't mean they have to locate everything they have in Atlanta to just one airport either. I'm sure O'Hare and Detroit Metro would love to have more Delta flights originating from their terminals.

GM is to Fint, MI that Delta is to Atlanta. Ford and Chrysler are to the Detroit area that Delta is to Atlanta. Oldsmobile WAS to Lansing, MI that Delta is to Atlanta. Now look at all three of those markets and ask yourself why they are like they are.

I still haven't had my questions answered by Avery on how he proposes the costs for enlarging 92 and creating more rails spurs would be paid for.

You have gotten a few answers. Simply by creating a more efficient means of collecting sales taxes that are currently being stolen from all of us would bring in an estimated 1 billion per year to pay for capital projects such as rail or road projects. Even if we eliminated a portion of Delta's fuel exemption that could easily be over 100 million per year. These are solutions that are viable in the scheme of what Paulding County needs.

foxmeister Using your analogy that you wrote above I guess you are infering that if the State legislature had voted to give GM and Ford the $500 million plus on tax breaks that the State of Georgia gave KIA to locate in LaGrange Georgia.

Then the GM Doraville And Ford Hapeville plant would still be operating here in Georgia.

KIA was a waste of our tax dollars, These tax dollars could have been better spent helping Georgia, Instead of Alabama,Whose residents got a lot of the KIA jobs

foxmeister Using your analogy that you wrote above I guess you are infering that if the State legislature had voted to give GM and Ford the $500 million plus on tax breaks that the State of Georgia gave KIA to locate in LaGrange Georgia.

Then the GM Doraville And Ford Hapeville plant would still be operating here in Georgia.

KIA was a waste of our tax dollars, These tax dollars could have been better spent helping Georgia, Instead of Alabama,Whose residents got a lot of the KIA jobs

I lived in MI for a long time before moving back to GA. I lived between Flint and Lansing; two cities heavily dependent upon the auto industry. I saw many GM and Oldsmobile plants close down and those operations move to other states because of TAXES. I've seen manufacturing move into areas because those local municipalities were giving those manufacturers tax abatements for anywhere between 15-25 years.

I'm telling you, if you take away Delta's tax credit, they will most likely move a large portion of their operations where they will get the tax savings. Don't think for a moment the other airlines would be able to step up to the plate and offer those Delta destinations with ATL as the departure site to fill the void in jobs lost. You're gambling with people's livelyhoods.

You have gotten a few answers. Simply by creating a more efficient means of collecting sales taxes that are currently being stolen from all of us would bring in an estimated 1 billion per year to pay for capital projects such as rail or road projects. Even if we eliminated a portion of Delta's fuel exemption that could easily be over 100 million per year. These are solutions that are viable in the scheme of what Paulding County needs.

$1B per year? You have to show us how this figure was determined because it certainly sounds inflated.

I've brought up the downside of expanding 92 with the eminent domain issue. Are you telling us you don't care about how that would effect property and business owners along 92?

$1B per year? You have to show us how this figure was determined because it certainly sounds inflated.

I've brought up the downside of expanding 92 with the eminent domain issue. Are you telling us you don't care about how that would effect property and business owners along 92?

I do support widening of 92. The plans are approved and it is already going to be starting in Douglas Counties' portion next year. If we never improved any road in our state, we would be in no place to attract any type of industry or new jobs.

Sorry, I didn't respond to your first question. That number come from the Georgia Budget Policy Institute. It actually may be deflated. When Alabama implemented a similar bill a few years ago, they found 5 billion in uncollected sales taxes state wide.

I swear Fox, that has to be the damn dumbest thing you have ever posted. Do you have any hint of an idea of just what it would entail for Delta to relocate? I have been involved in building Delta facilities for 30+ years. Delta having to start paying their fair share will not mathematically make relocating feasible. Think about it friend. They have a multi-billion dollar investment just in facilities in Atlanta. :blink:

Let me guess.....you think Nathan Deal is a fine Christian man to don't you? :rofl:

I guess I'm missing the logic behind taking away the tax credits given to Delta and at the same time offering tax credits to businesses who would relocate to Paulding. pardon.gif

Delta received that credit at a time in which they needed it because of 9/11. I do not fault that. The problem is that their lobbyists have been able to keep it in place even when Delta is now posting a huge profit. Paulding County needs to attract industry. Why would I not want to give credits to companies coming to Paulding over others. As a representative of Paulding County, my first job is to help the people of this county. Do you disagree that it is the job of the rep from the 19th to look out for his/her own voters first? Sounds logical to me.

Delta received that credit at a time in which they needed it because of 9/11. I do not fault that. The problem is that their lobbyists have been able to keep it in place even when Delta is now posting a huge profit. Paulding County needs to attract industry. Why would I not want to give credits to companies coming to Paulding over others. As a representative of Paulding County, my first job is to help the people of this county. Do you disagree that it is the job of the rep from the 19th to look out for his/her own voters first? Sounds logical to me.

Yes, industry should be attracted. I wonder how many Paulding folks travel to work at Delta every day. What I don't understand is telling the State of Georgia "do as I say, not as I do".

Yes, industry should be attracted. I wonder how many Paulding folks travel to work at Delta every day. What I don't understand is telling the State of Georgia "do as I say, not as I do".

The point about the Delta credits is that they have over stayed their intended purpose. They were given to a hurting company at a time in which they needed it. Today, they are posting large profits again and the benefits should be gradually removed or scaled back giving the state the ability to offer them to other companies wanting to come here or to pay for capital improvements for roads and education.

The point about the Delta credits is that they have over stayed their intended purpose. They were given to a hurting company at a time in which they needed it. Today, they are posting large profits again and the benefits should be gradually removed or scaled back giving the state the ability to offer them to other companies wanting to come here or to pay for capital improvements for roads and education.

:clapping: :drinks: :clapping:

I swear Fox, that has to be the damn dumbest thing you have ever posted. Do you have any hint of an idea of just what it would entail for Delta to relocate? I have been involved in building Delta facilities for 30+ years. Delta having to start paying their fair share will not mathematically make relocating feasible. Think about it friend. They have a multi-billion dollar investment just in facilities in Atlanta. :blink:

Let me guess.....you think Nathan Deal is a fine Christian man to don't you? :rofl:

How expensive do you think it is to move a manufacturing plant that employes 3,000 people from one state to another? It's quite expensive to be sure; however, if they can recoup those expenses in the form of savings on taxes, to increase their profit margin because another state is willing to give them tax abatements and other tax incentives, it's not that expensive afterall. GM, Chrysler, and Ford did that with some of their plants several times. Michigan never thought GM, Chrysler or Ford would ever relocate plants out of state.

I do support widening of 92. The plans are approved and it is already going to be starting in Douglas Counties' portion next year. If we never improved any road in our state, we would be in no place to attract any type of industry or new jobs.

Sorry, I didn't respond to your first question. That number come from the Georgia Budget Policy Institute. It actually may be deflated. When Alabama implemented a similar bill a few years ago, they found 5 billion in uncollected sales taxes state wide.

It's already approved? Then why were you saying you're proposing the expansion when you should have originally stated you support the expansion?

It's already approved? Then why were you saying you're proposing the expansion when you should have originally stated you support the expansion?

My original post in this thread did not say "propose". The widening has been approved for some time now, but it has not been made a priority by our representation.

My original post in this thread did not say "propose". The widening has been approved for some time now, but it has not been made a priority by our representation.

I served as a juror on several of the condemnation cases when they widened 278, eminent domain was an issue for more than one person in the jury pool. ;) With the state of the real estate market and property values at an all time low, I guess the additional court costs should be considered in the overall cost of this project.

So are you saying uncollected sales tax revenue that will be collected and will be enough to pay for this project?? And the reservoir, it's been approved by the tax payers for years. Rumor has it paperwork was not properly filed, so how are we going to pay for that now if it goes forward?? I'd still like to see the paperwork that was not "properly filed". ;)

Lots of ideas, but I only see $ signs, everyone is broke including the county, state and federal government. Where's the money going to come from??

Lots of ideas, but I only see $ signs, everyone is broke including the county,

state and federal government. Where's the money going to come from??

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

The state of Georgia is already $ 5 BILLION dollars in the hole

and all I see are costly proposals for more government spending !!!

What part of "unsustainable" do folks not seem to understand ???

It's that arrogant statement of yours and Mr. Avery's that Delta will never leave that is the dumbest thing! The other cities in the southeast will gladly chip away at the flights Delta offers and happily offer incentives to attract more. No one can rest on their laurels. I knew when I posted my earlier response making reference to the expansion of flights at Memphis that Mr. Avery would focus on it being only one flight to Mexico rather than the bigger picture that Delta has options other than Atlanta.

I have been trying to stay out of this because I try not to take sides in these things and I am not doing so now.

I am not sure how many people keep up with what is going on locally or attend commission meetings.

You should be getting a news letter in your mailbox soon to catch you up on the plans for the county.

The local issues that Mr. Avery has been addressing are proposals from our own BOC.

All the plans that he is supporting are for the benefit of our local economy.

The housing market has crashed, not just here but everywhere.

We have thousands of people in this county that are losing everything due to this.

Our BOC is looking at alternative industries to provide jobs and income to families here.

At the state level they will be providing these funds and grants to different areas in the state.

If you think an R or a D is going to stop spending these funds you are sadly mistaken.

Paulding county is offering a return on this investment in the way of taxable growth rather than fluff projects that are a never ending drain on the taxpayer.

Our representation can refuse these funds based on principal and we can watch the funds go to other counties and watch them spend it.

I have faith that our current BOC is asking for funds that will create a sustainable tax base here for future generations.

I have watched them finish off many of what I call fluff projects that had already been planned and the money set aside for.

Now they are getting down to business.

The witch hunt, that is what I call the sales tax recovery issue has been in the works for a while I believe had been proposed by the R's.

I am behind it because it is nothing short of stealing from every taxpayer in the state.

The argument is how to institute it, that is where it becomes very complicated.

Hopefully we have intelligent enough people to figure it out.

I have not heard enough from Paullete to know how much knowledge she has on the issues and proposals from the BOC.

I believe we are electing people that represent Paulding, to make sure when there is spending we get our fair share.

The BOC are the people with intimate knowledge of our county and our people.

If we trust them to do what is right then we need to elect someone at the state level that will not only listen to them and us. but work for us on the state level.

The reason I have even stepped in here is that from reading the post I know that Mr. Avery is speaking about these local issues.

This election is about what is best for people on the lowest local level.

I see people making a federal case where there is none.

I think this will be a very close race, and even though I have not seen or heard much from Paulette I hope that she is as in tune with these local issues and the needs of local people as Mr. Avery is.

I am behind our local BOC I approve of the direction they are taking our county and I want to see them get all the help and cooperation at the state level they can.

I don't want us to be forgotten as soon as someone gets up there rubbing shoulders with the high and mighty.

We need to send someone strong up there that will not get caught up in all the perks and glamor that lobbyist provide to turn the heads of our representatives.

These are the local issues.

It's that arrogant statement of yours and Mr. Avery's that Delta will never leave that is the dumbest thing! The other cities in the southeast will gladly chip away at the flights Delta offers and happily offer incentives to attract more. No one can rest on their laurels. I knew when I posted my earlier response making reference to the expansion of flights at Memphis that Mr. Avery would focus on it being only one flight to Mexico rather than the bigger picture that Delta has options other than Atlanta.

I would think if they considered a move it would be to another right to work state.

This is one thing that makes Georgia very attractive to corporations that have unionized work forces.

I served as a juror on several of the condemnation cases when they widened 278, eminent domain was an issue for more than one person in the jury pool. ;) With the state of the real estate market and property values at an all time low, I guess the additional court costs should be considered in the overall cost of this project.

So are you saying uncollected sales tax revenue that will be collected and will be enough to pay for this project?? And the reservoir, it's been approved by the tax payers for years. Rumor has it paperwork was not properly filed, so how are we going to pay for that now if it goes forward?? I'd still like to see the paperwork that was not "properly filed". ;)

Lots of ideas, but I only see $ signs, everyone is broke including the county, state and federal government. Where's the money going to come from??

What makes the 92 widening any different from every other highway project ever considered? Part of the budget for a highway project includes funds for legal expenses. The reality is that only a small percentage of property owners ever exercise their right to a jury trial because they don't understand how the system works. They have always heard ignorant people say that "you better take what they offer are they will just condemn it and take it."

How are you with Paulette's ideas? Oh that's right! Paulette has no idea. :huh:

Atlanta is not remotely at risk of losing Delta. First of all, H-J Atlanta International is the world's busiest airport, both in terms of flights and passengers. Not a single other airport comes close in America. Delta takes up most of the T, A, B, D, and E gates, and will likely also hold most of the gates in the new international terminal being constructed.

According to the article that you posted, Memphis currently has a single new destination, a once-weekly international flight to Mexico City. Memphis does not have the capability to house the home of Delta Airlines, plain and simple. It would cost hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars for Delta to relocate itself to Memphis.

What has been proposed is closing a corporate tax loophole given only to Delta, and not any other airlines, that was put in place directly after 9/11. Closing it will not cause Delta to relocate, because it would be incredibly fiscally irresponsible for them to do so. Moving operations to anywhere would force Delta to build facilities including repair hangars, parking hangars, terminals, office buildings, etc, and to boot abandon a community that they have been a part of for decades. The airline industry is quite different from manufacturing. 55% of Delta passengers pass through our airport. That will not be changing any time soon.

If I may interject, this sweetheart deal was designed to sunset, but has been renewed every time it has come up (3 renewals I think). The first renewal was understandable, because Delta was still in dire straights, but that is no longer the case. It should be allowed to sunset, and any effort to sneak it's renewal in at the last minute should be defeated.

Will, correct me if I am mis-characterizing our previous conversation, but we also discussed the fact that the entire revenue system including incentives and State tax credits for specific interests has not been comprehensively reviewed since the last Constitution was drafted back in the 80's. The last session of the State Legislature created a bipartisan committee to study the situation and make recommendations to the Legislature and Governor this coming January. I believe that we discussed that this would be a great opportunity to insure that these types of deals are quashed. While Delta's deal is now no longer a mutually advantageous arrangement, it is not alone. There are many such "gifts" to special interests throughout the state including the timber and pulpwood industries, as well as the developers of large scale resort and residential properties among others. These deals are not the exclusive purview of either party, and I applaud your willingness to tackle these types of crony capitalistic arrangements without regard to who sponsored the legislation or who benefits politically from the arrangement.