Paulding.com

AVERY vs BRADDOCK

If an employer or the INS either found out about a pretrial diversion, it is up to their interpretation whether it is an admission of guilt or not...just as a voter, it is up to my interpretation whether her pre-trial diversion was an admission of guilt. So yes, in fact, imo it is an admission of guilt without being recorded as such.

Secondly, you never answered why she chose to do the community service if she was innocent?

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, have you or your firm served as legal counsel for Braddock in her bankruptcy proceedings? If so, does that not mean that everything you've said in this thread has been said in regards to a client who pays you to represent her innocence?

mrnn

I have posted solely as a fellow P.commer and in no other capacity. Frankly, you continue to display ignorance of the pre-trial diversion program.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pubby:   Your statements above are grossly inaccurate. It is true that Ms. Braddock was indicted for a felony crime. However, she did not enter any plea in the case other than a NOT GUILTY plea.

i think it sucks that people vote for a D or R instead of the individual. I have voted probably 85% Republican but there is NO WAY i will vote for PB in this race... I truly think its SAD that people

Posted Images

I'll answer this one. While I do not have a PhD, I have been teaching survey level history classes at UWG for the last year while working on my graduate degree. A "real" professor usually has a PhD. However, I have been responsible for all aspects of teaching at the college level. I took this semester off from both teaching and classes to work on the campaign full time.

I have worked around the southeast as an archaeologist and land surveyor since I graduated from UGA and went back to school 2 years ago to pursue my graduate degree. I hope this clears up any confusion.

WA

So, the title "professor" would not be an accurate title to represent your work history? OK, fair enough on that one.

I'm looking at your FB pages along with those of the administrators of your FB page. I am finding relationships with Progressive organizations, e.g. Brooks Emmanuel: listed as an administator of your FB page, lists previous employment with the Georgia Rural Urban Summit whose webpage proclaims the headline, "Connecting Progressive Georgians" which is a sponsored project of the Fund for Southern Communities which proclaims a desire to "to build safe, equitable communities that are free of oppression and that embrace and celebrate all people" and "supports small community groups working for environmental justice, anti-racism, women's rights, youth development, LGBTQ rights, worker's rights, civil rights and disability rights and other varied issues that address social change through community organizing". One can usually assume that a candidate would surround himself with advisors and assistants who share his political beliefs. Do you support a Progressive agenda similar to what the Obama administration and these organizations promote?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113579222008216

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=513223398

http://www.georgiasummit.org/about_us/mission.php

http://www.fundforsouth.org/fsc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=54

I have posted solely as a fellow P.commer and in no other capacity.

Typical lawyer...so let me ask again (and I'm not asking in what capacity you're posting) do/did you or your firm represent Braddock in her bankruptcy?

And one more time, why did she do community service?

mrnn

• Like 1

Pigpen I am no lawyer but I can read ... From the Cobb County DA web site.

PRETRIAL DIVERSION PROGRAM

District Attorney’s Office

Cobb Judicial Circuit

GUIDELINES

The Diversion Program was created pursuant to Official Code of Georgia Annotated §15-18-80 as an alternative to the prosecution of offenders in the criminal system. The Diversion Program is designed for first offenders who have committed crimes that did not result in injury to a victim, are otherwise non-violent and non-aggressive in nature and are non-drug related. Inasmuch as those individuals who are admitted to the program have committed a crime, it is not in the best interest of the justice system to have records of the crime expunged. Therefore, because of the requirements set forth at O.C.G.A. §35-3-37, any case considered for acceptance in the Diversion Program must be accused or indicted prior to being accepted in the program. The District Attorney for the Cobb Judicial Circuit must approve any deviation from these published guidelines.

In accordance with the conditions outlined in their contractual agreements, individuals accepted to participate in the Diversion Program will immediately be subjected to individualized and controlled supervisory programs for a specified period of time in lieu of traditional prosecution. That is, persons who meet the eligibility criteria will be offered the opportunity to participate in the Diversion Program which will serve as an alternative to the county’s traditional methods of handling cases.

Participation in the Diversion Program will be voluntary with the advice of counsel, will occur prior to adjudication and if participants satisfactorily complete the Diversion Program, will result in dismissal or nolle prosequi of the charges. It is designed to benefit the individual program participant as well as the overall criminal justice system for Cobb County.

Acceptance into the Diversion Program will generally be based upon the following eligibility criteria:

1) The Victim's response to the Defendant's petition for Diversion.

2) Only offenders with no other criminal record will be eligible for program participation.

3) Offenders must be at least 17 years of age and voluntarily petition the District Attorney

requesting consideration for participation in the Diversion Program.

4) Unless unusual circumstances prevail, offenders must be residents of Cobb County. Some exceptions would be, the offender is returning home to family, a job out of state, or going away to school.

5) The case against the offender must be prosecutable. 6) As a rule, offenders must be gainfully employed or a full-time student. (An exception to this would be a homemaker who would not be required to obtain full-time employment.)

7) Offenders must be of a stable mind and have a stable place of residence.

8) Offenders must agree to sign forms waiving their right to:

a) Grand Jury indictment;

B) certain Constitutional rights including the right to a speedy trial;

c) maintain confidential information such as juvenile records (such records are needed for the purpose of eligibility investigation)

and the Offender must admit guilt. 9) Offenders must agree to perform specified hours of community service (not to exceed 200 hours) be supervised for reasonable periods of time which will be determined by the nature of their crimes and an evaluation of their program participation. (Offenders will be required to enter into a contractual agreement outlining the conditions of their participation in order for their petition to receive consideration.)

The following persons will not qualify for participation in the Diversion Program:

1) Persons with extensive juvenile records.

2) Persons with criminal records of convictions or arrests.

3) Persons who willfully failed to appear in court while on bond.

4) Persons who have escaped from a mental hospital.

5) Persons who have been arrested for Violation of the Georgia Controlled Substances Act.

6) Persons who are dependent upon drugs and/or alcohol, unless they have successfully completed

a primary treatment program and can verify in writing, their successful completion of the

program.

In order to be considered for acceptance in the Diversion Program, the offender’s attorney will be required to file a petition with the District Attorney’s Office. Copies of the petition will be forwarded to the Assistant District Attorney to whom the case is assigned and the Diversion Unit.

Subsequent procedures for enrollment are as follows:

1) The Assistant District Attorney will review the case and based on the nature of the Defendant's offense(s), determine the possibility of the petitioner’s eligibility. If it is determined that the offender is a possible candidate for the Diversion Program, the Assistant District Attorney will complete and forward a referral form to the Diversion Representative for a background check and final decision.

2) Upon receipt of the referral form from the Assistant District Attorney, the Diversion

Representative will initiate an investigation to establish the offender’s eligibility in terms of

personal history, criminal record, employment, residency, etc.

3) Upon completion of the eligibility investigation by the Diversion Representative, a determination regarding the acceptability of the offender to participate in the Diversion Program will be made.

4) If the offender is rejected the case will be returned to the Assistant District Attorney for

prosecution.

5) If the offender is accepted, a contractual agreement outlining the conditions of participation will

be prepared and executed. If restitution is required it must be paid at this time. The

offender will be required to pay an administration fee of $300.00 (O.C.G.A. § 15-18-80). All funds

are to be given to the Diversion Representative who will distribute the funds to the Clerk of

Superior Court. All funds are to be paid by certified or cashiers check or money order only, made

payable to Cobb County General Fund.

6) Upon execution of the contractual agreement, the offender will be enrolled in the Diversion

Program for a specified period of time, and for the duration of the program, the offender will be

under the supervision and monitoring of the staff of the Diversion Unit or the District Attorney’s

Office. Upon successful completion, bond will be released.

RETURN

So, the title "professor" would not be an accurate title to represent your work history? OK, fair enough on that one.

I'm looking at your FB pages along with those of the administrators of your FB page. I am finding relationships with Progressive organizations, e.g. Brooks Emmanuel: listed as an administator of your FB page, lists previous employment with the Georgia Rural Urban Summit whose webpage proclaims the headline, "Connecting Progressive Georgians" which is a sponsored project of the Fund for Southern Communities which proclaims a desire to "to build safe, equitable communities that are free of oppression and that embrace and celebrate all people" and "supports small community groups working for environmental justice, anti-racism, women's rights, youth development, LGBTQ rights, worker's rights, civil rights and disability rights and other varied issues that address social change through community organizing". One can usually assume that a candidate would surround himself with advisors and assistants who share his political beliefs. Do you support a Progressive agenda similar to what the Obama administration and these organizations promote?

http://www.facebook....113579222008216

http://www.facebook....hp?id=513223398

http://www.georgiasu..._us/mission.php

http://www.fundforso...id=51&Itemid=54

I do not support the progressive Democrats in the slightest as I have said numerous times. As far as Brooks goes he is a deputy caucus director at the Georgia House Democratic Caucus and is my liaison at the Caucus. He is neither an advisor nor an assistant.

Will, I voted for ya, but honestly, I think the national democrats (Obama, Pelosi, Reid, etc) have hurt your chances of winning.

I think that district 19 will be a republican held seat not based on the voter's knowledge but by the registered trademark sign next to certain names.

I would certainly not want to be running with the likes of those mentioned in your post.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113579222008216

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=513223398

http://www.georgiasummit.org/about_us/mission.php

http://www.fundforsouth.org/fsc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=54

You know all of these could easily be answered if you could just get Paulette to DEBATE Why all the interest in this race if you live in Cobb?????

I think that district 19 will be a republican held seat not based on the voter's knowledge but by the registered trademark sign next to certain names.

I would certainly not want to be running with the likes of those mentioned in your post.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You really like that trademark don't you. :D

I do not support the progressive Democrats in the slightest as I have said numerous times. As far as Brooks goes he is a deputy caucus director at the Georgia House Democratic Caucus and is my liaison at the Caucus. He is neither an advisor nor an assistant.

I'm researching the info and people that are referenced on your FB "Will Avery for Georgia House District 19" page:

Admins.

■Brooks Emanuel (Atlanta, GA)

■Cris Sanhueza (Chattanooga, TN)

■Steve Golden (Alston & Bird)

■Will Avery (creator)

post-14762-128750852457_thumb.jpg

I wonder the last time the seat was held by a demorat? Anyone know where info like that might be found on the web?

I don't know for sure but I know after the 2000 census there were all kinds of redrawing of district lines. So I would say never as this district stands right now. Nathan Dean, a strong caring Democrat was our senator when I first moved to Paulding County.

I'm researching the info and people that are referenced on your FB "Will Avery for Georgia House District 19" page:

Admins.

■Will Avery (creator)

:blink:

Facebook page admins means they are admins on the facebook page...not campaign admins

I'm not part of Will's campaign, no idea if any of those guys are part of his campaign, but what you just posted doesn't have anything to do with their standing in his campaign.

mrnn

Admins.

■Will Avery (creator)

HEY............I started this thread about a debate,not the BS you raise start your own thread

You know all of these could easily be answered if you could just get Paulette to DEBATE Why all the interest in this race if you live in Cobb?????

Why all the interest? I like to research and I enjoy sharing information with others. :) Whether I am in the district or not, I am a resident of the State of Georgia and the ideology of anyone in the Georgia legislature concerns me.

Why all the interest? I like to research and I enjoy sharing information with others. :) Whether I am in the district or not, I am a resident of the State of Georgia and the ideology of anyone in the Georgia legislature concerns me.

Doesn't District 19 encompass some of Cobb, Powder Springs???

Charlie Watts, who is a friend of mine.

Interesting, I know Charlie Watts and his family well. His grandsons attended High School with my son. They were all in band together. In fact the oldest and my son both played trumpet. Band families tend to be very close to each other. ;)

Interesting, I know Charlie Watts and his family well. His grandsons attended High School with my son. They were all in band together. In fact the oldest and my son both played trumpet. Band families tend to be very close to each other. ;)

Charlie is a good man! Why don't you ask him about me?

I'm looking at your FB pages along with those of the administrators of your FB page.

Apparently Mr. Avery doesn't read those either. ;)

Pigpen I am no lawyer but I can read ... From the Cobb County DA web site.

PRETRIAL DIVERSION PROGRAM

District Attorney's Office

Cobb Judicial Circuit

And again you post the CURRENT information that may or may not be relevant to her case or a debate. rolleyes.gif

Typical lawyer...so let me ask again (and I'm not asking in what capacity you're posting) do/did you or your firm represent Braddock in her bankruptcy?

And one more time, why did she do community service?

mrnn

The answer is no, we do not/did not represent her in her bankruptcy. Any more stupid questions to this typical lawyer???

Edited to answer the community service question. I assume it was part of the agreement.

Edited by Pigpen

Then try and get Paulette to DEBATE

The answer is no, we do not/did not represent her in her bankruptcy. Any more stupid questions to this typical lawyer???

Edited to answer the community service question. I assume it was part of the agreement.

BTW, I do have one more question.....do you or your firm represent her in her Xerox suit?

mrnn

Pubby:

Your statements above are grossly inaccurate. It is true that Ms. Braddock was indicted for a felony crime. However, she did not enter any plea in the case other than a NOT GUILTY plea. She certainly did not enter a nolo contendere plea, which requires a plea in front of a judge. As a side note, Georgia generally does NOT use nolo pleas on DUI cases because the consequences are the same whether or not you plead nolo. In fact, a defendant cannot as a matter of law enter a nolo plea where the BAC level is .15 or more. It is possible to do a nolo plea to DUI, but it is extremely rare and judges generally do not permit them.

As for Ms. Braddock, the charge was DISMISSED against her, as indicated in the link you cited. It does not matter whether someone has a prior record or not in qualifying for pre-trial diversion, although it certainly helps. Pre-trial diversion is typically used for minors in posession of alcohol (to avoid a conviction earlier in life), possession of less than an ounce of marijuana (sometimes considered victimless crime), domestic disputes between family members (to preserve family unity), and where cases are WEAK and it is best for all parties to resolve without the time and expense of proceeding to a trial. In Ms. Braddock's case, my suspicion is that the case was weak, coupled with the lack of a prior criminal history.

It is factually wrong for some to claim she pleaded guilty or had to admit her guilt or even committed a crime (which implies that a conviction was obtained). To the contrary, she pleaded NOT GUILTY and, following the completion of the pre-trial diversion program, the charge was nolle prossed, meaning the State can never pursue the case again. She also did not pay a fine as suggested, which can only be imposed where a party is convicted or pleads nolo. There is a fee, though, to participate in the pre-trial diversion program.

I realize most folks are unfamiliar with the pre-trial diversion program (which, quite frankly, is probably a good thing since it means you have not enrolled in it before). However, I think we need to be cautious in making assumptions and accusations about criminal behavior by individuals, whether they are running for office or not.

Pigpen:

You may be correct, I don't pretend to be an attorney. However, I can read.

This was lifted from this source - i.e. the Cobb County DA's office: which reads that the person, to be eligible for pre-trial diversion has to admit their guilt which I understand is wholly and totally different than pleading guilty. Still, it suggests that the person acknowledges that what they did was 'wrong' and they pretty much lose any pretense of 'innocence' when doing so.

Here's the relevant element:

Participation in the Diversion Program will be voluntary with the advice of counsel, will occur prior to adjudication and if participants satisfactorily complete the Diversion Program, will result in dismissal or nolle prosequi of the charges. It is designed to benefit the individual program participant as well as the overall criminal justice system for Cobb County.

Acceptance into the Diversion Program will generally be based upon the following eligibility criteria:

1) The Victim's response to the Defendant's petition for Diversion.

2) Only offenders with no other criminal record will be eligible for program participation.

3) Offenders must be at least 17 years of age and voluntarily petition the District Attorney

requesting consideration for participation in the Diversion Program.

4) Unless unusual circumstances prevail, offenders must be residents of Cobb County. Some exceptions would be, the offender is returning home to family, a job out of state, or going away to school.

5) The case against the offender must be prosecutable.

6) As a rule, offenders must be gainfully employed or a full-time student. (An exception to this would be a homemaker who would not be required to obtain full-time employment.)

7) Offenders must be of a stable mind and have a stable place of residence.

8) Offenders must agree to sign forms waiving their right to:

a) Grand Jury indictment;

B) certain Constitutional rights including the right to a speedy trial;

c) maintain confidential information such as juvenile records (such records are

needed for the purpose of eligibility investigation)

and the Offender must admit guilt.

This is the current policy in regard to pre-trial diversion. I however cannot grasp that a person who does not express some contrition for their acts after being indicted would be treated in such a manner. And yes, the pre-trial diversion does avoid a guilty plea and does involve dismissal of the indictment.

But the point, and pardon me if I didn't express it clearly, is that she had to 'admit' guilt to be covered by the program.

I don't see that element - the element of contrition - being any different in 1999 than it is today. If it is, I'd be more than happy to read your reasoning on why the court would create a program that includes tacit punishment but lets the person off the hook if they are allowed to proclaim innocence of the act.

Said a bit differently, the nolo in this case along with the dismissal is not and should not be read as the person proclaiming innocence. If it is, I'll lobby Will Avery to change the law allowing such diversions because pre-trial diversion should never be confused with snow-white innocence, which frankly, is how I perceive your effort at a whitewash.

pubby

Pigpen:

You may be correct, I don't pretend to be an attorney. However, I can read.

This was lifted from this source - i.e. the Cobb County DA's office: which reads that the person, to be eligible for pre-trial diversion has to admit their guilt which I understand is wholly and totally different than pleading guilty. Still, it suggests that the person acknowledges that what they did was 'wrong' and they pretty much lose any pretense of 'innocence' when doing so.

Here's the relevant element:

This is the current policy in regard to pre-trial diversion. I however cannot grasp that a person who does not express some contrition for their acts after being indicted would be treated in such a manner. And yes, the pre-trial diversion does avoid a guilty plea and does involve dismissal of the indictment.

But the point, and pardon me if I didn't express it clearly, is that she had to 'admit' guilt to be covered by the program.

I don't see that element - the element of contrition - being any different in 1999 than it is today. If it is, I'd be more than happy to read your reasoning on why the court would create a program that includes tacit punishment but lets the person off the hook if they are allowed to proclaim innocence of the act.

Said a bit differently, the nolo in this case along with the dismissal is not and should not be read as the person proclaiming innocence. If it is, I'll lobby Will Avery to change the law allowing such diversions because pre-trial diversion should never be confused with snow-white innocence, which frankly, is how I perceive your effort at a whitewash.

pubby

I have never had a client participating in the pre-trial diversion program in Cobb, Paulding or anywhere have to admit guilt in order to participate in the program. Nor have I ever heard any defendant having to admit guilt in order to participate. According to the cite provided by Whitey, there should be some form executed by the participant indicating an admission of guilt if it exists. From my review of the records provided in Paulette's case, no such admission ever occurred. If some such document exists, please post it; otherwise, it is wrong to assume that such an admission of guilt occurred. And it would be a complete denial of due process to assume that simply because there is a vague reference in the DA guidelines for diversion, which was used in a grammatically incorrect way, that a presumption exists of an admission of guilt upon entry into the program, absent an explicit acknowledgment in writing or on the record of that guilt.

Edited by Pigpen

I would rather vote for the dizzy doltz, who will vote for the things that I want her to vote for , then for a highly educated person who will vote for everything i am against. Yes, that R or D does mean a lot these days.

So is the lack of education a positive factor in deciding whom you will vote?

• Like 1

I would rather vote for the dizzy doltz, who will vote for the things that I want her to vote for , then for a highly educated person who will vote for everything i am against. Yes, that R or D does mean a lot these days.

Have I thanked you lately for your service to our country that gives me the right to post what I want on an open message board?? Isn't it wonderful your military accomplishments allowed Pubby the right to own this board.

While some of your friends were going off to college, you stood on the lines and fought for our freedoms.

THANK YOU. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about when you make statements like "a diversion program is an admission of guilt without being recorded as such." Please re-read my post. As for your second question, it depends; however, if a person is withdrawn from the program (ie violating the terms of the program), the State could attempt to prosecute, just as the accused has the right to defend the case. A nolle prosequi is not entered until the person completes the program.

Does any of that bull really matter? I call that some real serious nitpicking... (Above and above) She did something wrong and got in trouble for it.

I've done things wrong and gotten in trouble for them; and I would definitely not even try what she's trying!!

Hey pigpen,beachbum,nature girl,Did you read my post above and get down to the red wording? whatcha about that? :D

I have not a clue why Paulette refuses to debate nor do I care. I personally view debates as not being a vital part of the campaign as I realize some people are simply more "eloquent" speakers than others (Bill Clinton comes to mind).

Furthermore, "anyone" can say "anything" and make "empty promises". Being an "eloquent speaker" doesn't mean you are necessarily the best person for the job.

I have not a clue why Paulette refuses to debate nor do I care. I personally view debates as not being a vital part of the campaign as I realize some people are simply more "eloquent" speakers than others (Bill Clinton comes to mind).

Furthermore, "anyone" can say "anything" and make "empty promises". Being an "eloquent speaker" doesn't mean you are necessarily the best person for the job.

Well if Paulette refuses to debate that is okay with me.

So..... That only leaves her arrest records, Bankruptcy records, And her record of eight years serving on the school board, To ascertain whether she is a conservative or not

having said that would you care to point out which one of those makes her a conservative?

Were you for the tax increases that she voted for while serving eight years on the school board?

Are you okay with all the meetings and votes she missed?

Are you okay with building a fancy building to meet in while our kids were in trailers?

Does this represent the Republican Party of Paulding County?

Well if Paulette refuses to debate that is okay with me.

So..... That only leaves her arrest records, Bankruptcy records, And her record of eight years serving on the school board, To ascertain whether she is a conservative or not

having said that would you care to point out which one of those makes her a conservative?

Whitey, I am beginning to realize that it wouldn't matter to you if Paulette were Mother Teresa in disguise - you would never vote for her simply because she is a "tea partier" and a Republican. That is my opinion.

You and a couple of others here don't take the time to convince others why they should vote for your candidate of choice, you simply attempt to belittle your candidate's opponent. Very sad.............

You know what makes it even sadder is that there are people like me and my family out there that probably would vote for Avery; however, all you have to do is go on paulding.com and read some of the "classless" remarks and all of the "spinning" by his supporters - it truly makes some people want to run in the opposite direction. Its not just me either, I have been working in Dallas for the last couple of weeks and I have heard this from several people

Edited by Beach Bum
  • Like 1

Whitey, I am beginning to realize that it wouldn't matter to you if Paulette were Mother Teresa in disguise - you would never vote for her simply because she is a "tea partier" and a Republican. That is my opinion.

You and a couple of others here don't take the time to convince others why they should vote for your candidate of choice, you simply attempt to belittle your candidate's opponent. Very sad.............

You know what makes it even sadder is that there are people like me and my family out there that probably would vote for Avery; however, all you have to do is go on paulding.com and read some of the "classless" remarks and all of the "spinning" by his supporters - it truly makes some people want to run in the opposite direction. Its not just me either, I have been working in Dallas for the last couple of weeks and I have heard this from several people

I agree 100%. The group that has trashed Paulette has done nothing to help Mr. Avery, I believe they have actually hurt him. In fact I have a message from someone very close to Mr. Avery that pretty much says that. ;)

You know what makes it even sadder is that there are people like me and my family out there that probably would vote for Avery; however, all you have to do is go on paulding.com and read some of the "classless" remarks and all of the "spinning" by his supporters, it makes you run in the opposite direction. Its not just me either, I have been working in Dallas for the last couple of weeks and I have heard this from several people

BeachBum

There you go again calling people classless for posting true facts,And twisting my message.

Just so you know I voted for Karen Handel in the primary race, and she was supported by Mrs Tea Party herself (Sarah Palin) She was bt far the best candidate in the primary, I also openly campaigned for Todd Pownall, And David Barnett in the Primary election, Two very fine Conservative candidates

You should know me by now that for years I have supported both Republican and Democratic Candidates.

I have no allegiance to either party, I try and vote for the person who best represents what I believe in.

I have posted several times, Some recent why I support Will Avery,And will post some more.

Many folks try and discredit the truth that is being posted as classless or spin, But few if any try and discredit whether it is the truth?

I will continue to support both Republicans and Democrats though donations,erecting signs,attending rallies and posting here on P. Com

It is indeed a sad day when Party politics dictate whom to vote for.

Yes,I would vote for Paulette if she was running against Jerry and they were the only two in the race

• Like 1