Paulding.com

Paulding citizens embarrassed again

I agree; however, as a person who has chosen not to vote for anyone in this particular race, I have been very objective in reading the posts of both sides. I think it is very, very fair to say that the Avery supporters have exhibited FAR less class (not talking about you personally Mr. Politics). I mean really, go back and just look at some of the remarks.........

Hey, I've read them. But you can't condemn a candidate or a party for what their people may or may not say. Sure, some people have bad blood here, but much of what they say, at least in principle, but not in wording, I would agree with.

Sorry to hijack, but Emory Gordy lives here? Isn't he married to Patty Loveless (I love her)?

This is the impression that I get from the disclosure (to both counts). Kinda cool, right?

Now back to our scheduled political bickering.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't feel this is "Mud" flying around.   Seems to me Paulette's Pandora's Box in her closet full of skeletons has been opened. She should spend more time over at East Paulding High.....at the Bo

So you have a different standard about local officials verses national officials. I see. I see the double standard. Thanks.   Ever noticed how drama seems to follow you everywhere you go, no matter

Assuming all "insiders" were in the know, isn't the onus on your local GOP insiders to dissuade Ms. Braddock from running? Not sure why you'd be looking to the local democrat org (oh, there isn't one

Mr. Seabolt chose paulding.com as a major campaign venue and invited questions from paulding.com members. I ask very direct questions of Mr. Seabolt which he never, by the way, answered. I have a right just as you do to ask questions. There is a HUGE difference here Whitey - Mr. Seabolt, Mr. Avery, et al chose to campaign on paulding.com, thus subjecting themselves to voter questions and inquiries.

As for comparisons Whitey - I will admit that I did ask questions and pointed out investigations against Mr. Seabolt as he was choosing to campaign on paulding.com. That is simply one instance in local races but you and a few others here continually bash MULTIPLE candidates and do this on a very regular basis.

Go back and look Whitey and what some of the Avery, et al supporters here have called other candidates - lying b......, Robber Mega Baron Developers (or whatever the heck it is that surepip calls our builder / developers in the area all the time). I could go on and on and on at the CLASSLESS remarks made by Avery supporters.

And you know what embarrasses me Whitey? It is when "some" here on paulding.com continue to lash out at others and condemn them for mistakes they have made when "some" have their own issues they need to tend to. The hypocrisy is just laughable.

But were not the ones running for officeblush.gif

Mr. Seabolt chose paulding.com as a major campaign venue and invited questions from paulding.com members. I ask very direct questions of Mr. Seabolt which he never, by the way, answered. I have a right just as you do to ask questions. There is a HUGE difference here Whitey - Mr. Seabolt, Mr. Avery, et al chose to campaign on paulding.com, thus subjecting themselves to voter questions and inquiries.

As for comparisons Whitey - I will admit that I did ask questions and pointed out investigations against Mr. Seabolt as he was choosing to campaign on paulding.com. That is simply one instance in local races but you and a few others here continually bash MULTIPLE candidates and do this on a very regular basis.

Go back and look Whitey and what some of the Avery, et al supporters here have called other candidates - lying b......, Robber Mega Baron Developers (or whatever the heck it is that surepip calls our builder / developers in the area all the time). I could go on and on and on at the CLASSLESS remarks made by Avery supporters.

And you know what embarrasses me Whitey? It is when "some" here on paulding.com continue to lash out at others and condemn them for mistakes they have made when "some" have their own issues they need to tend to. The hypocrisy is just laughable.

Choosing to campaign on paulding.com says that you want to engage the public. That on its face is a plus of enormous proportions.

That some people can pull off having a presence on PCOM (Ken Ball comes to mind as does Jerry Shearin in the early days and even Kim Cobb) establishes that it can be done effectively even for an extended period of time.

However, Beach Bum, as public board and involved community, choosing not to campaign on Paulding.com does not mean no one can talk about them. They are PUBLIC FIGURES asking for compensation from the public coffers in return for their service TO US.

I mean if folks couldn't talk about public figures if they were not present, the entire political forum would go poof as neither GWB or BO have graced our presence.

pubby

PS: I can't believe anyone would question the first amendment rights of people and, as far as the use of social media by politicians ... well they are learning and what seems odd and exceptional now, will ultimately be commonplace, with politicians being know members of virtual communities using media of this nature to not only communicate, but to educate and lead. That is the future.

I just do not understand why the big uproar about discussing Paulette's past voting record while serving on the school board,Or her past arrest records WTH!!!

She has opted to run for office to represent Paulding County Residents. She should of come forward with this information when she qualified for office,Some of the same folks defending Paulette today (Madea) came down pretty hard on Representive Stout for not divulging his short comings prior to election day, why the double standard???

Come on folks, Do you really want Paulette to represent you under the Gold Dome????

Please stay tuned,Wait awhile before you early vote, Get all of the facts before you cast your ballot, More could be coming to help you make your decision.

Paulette is no conservative,Her voting record supports this contention

• Like 1

I just do not understand why the big uproar about discussing Paulette's past voting record while serving on the school board,Or her past arrest records WTH!!!

She has opted to run for office to represent Paulding County Residents. She should of come forward with this information when she qualified for office,Some of the same folks defending Paulette today (Madea) came down pretty hard on Representive Stout for not divulging his short comings prior to election day, why the double standard???

Come on folks, Do you really want Paulette to represent you under the Gold Dome????

Please stay tuned,Wait awhile before you early vote, Get all of the facts before you cast your ballot, More could be coming to help you make your decision.

Whitey:

She is trying to suggest that if the person/candidate is not here to defend themselves, we shouldn't talk about them.

I find that notion quaint and not a little silly.

It just is not in the nature of this new medium. While the world - particularly the political culture - is adapting to the new medium, we know that the Luddites will avoid it, hate it and condemn it.

pubby

You would be well-served to carefully re-read everything I have written regarding this latest information.

Yes, I was hard on Stout. I'll own that. I also didn't put anything on p.com that I didn't say directly to him in a personal conversation where 2 adults discussed issues. Can you say that? I know for a fact that you aren't privy to any of my personal conversations.

Whitey:

She is trying to suggest that if the person/candidate is not here to defend themselves, we shouldn't talk about them.

It just is not in the nature of this new medium. While the world - particularly the political culture - is adapting to the new medium, we know that the Luddites will avoid it, hate it and condemn it.

pubby

I think Beach Bum speaks quite well for herself. She doesn't need you to twist her words.

You would be well-served to carefully re-read everything I have written regarding this latest information.

Yes, I was hard on Stout. I'll own that. I also didn't put anything on p.com that I didn't say directly to him in a personal conversation where 2 adults discussed issues. Can you say that? I know for a fact that you aren't privy to any of my personal conversations.

Anything you said about Obama --- did you say that to him in a personal conversation?

• Like 1

Please feel free to pull everything I've said about Obama and I will answer each issue individually. drinks.gif

I just asked a question. Please feel free to do your own search so we can raise each issue point by point. After all, you are the one that made a point out of talking about public figures face to face.

Whitey:

pubby

yea they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.....If they are talking about say Representive Stout, Then they are just informing the citizens of his wrong doing, However if some one post something about the candidate they are supporting then it is bashing... WTH!!!!

Facts are facts,Nothing untrue has been posted about Paulette, This is her criminial record, Her voting record while serving on the Board of Education, And her bankrupt record while running a business,These are her accomplishments in life, And should be fair game for open discussion in this forum.

If paulette chooses not to answer to these in this forum, Or to debate Will Avery then so be it, That is her choice, And the voters have a decision to make based on her actions.

Will Avery has attempted on several occasions to debate the issues with Paulette, And up to this point she has refused.

Paulette is no conservative,And her past history will bear this out

I just asked a question. Please feel free to do your own search so we can raise each issue point by point. After all, you are the one that made a point out of talking about public figures face to face.

I specifically mentioned local officials. I've talked with more than one, more than one time. I've no desire or time to comply with your wish.

yea they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.....If they are talking about say Representive Stout, Then they are just informing the citizens of his wrong doing, However if some one post something about the candidate they are supporting then it is bashing... WTH!!!!

Facts are facts,Nothing untrue has been posted about Paulette, This is her criminial record, Her voting record while serving on the Board of Education, And her bankrupt record while running a business,These are her accomplishments in life, And should be fair game for open discussion in this forum.

If paulette chooses not to answer to these in this forum, Or to debate Will Avery then so be it, That is her choice, And the voters have a decision to make based on her actions.

Will Avery has attempted on several occasions to debate the issues with Paulette, And up to this point she has refused.

Paulette is no conservative,And her past history will bear this out

It's your usual MO.

I think Beach Bum speaks quite well for herself. She doesn't need you to twist her words.

Just so you know, I have had two conversations with Paulette during this campaign,Once at the Chamber event at the Dallas Theatre, And once at the courthouse as the Primary results were being counted.We know each other and I did question her on some of her campaign claims, Particular her tax and spend habits while serving on the school board.

All that has been posted about Paulette has been common knowledge prior to the primary election,everyone who has followed politics in Paulding County knew these issues were there,And were going to surface, More is coming..... The smart thing for the Paulding County Republican Party to do would be to ask her to withdraw from the race, For the sake of the Party.

Paulette is a tax and spend uncontrollable candidate and by no means a conservative as she claims, her record proves this!!!!

I specifically mentioned local officials. I've talked with more than one, more than one time. I've no desire or time to comply with your wish.

It's your usual MO.

So you have a different standard about local officials verses national officials. I see. I see the double standard. Thanks.

Ever noticed how drama seems to follow you everywhere you go, no matter if the litter box is The Highway or here?

Edited by stercus tauri
  • Like 2

It's your usual MO.

Paulette debated Stout, Why will she not Debate Will Avery???

She attended all the functions during the primary, Why did she not attend the chamber event this week?

Just so you know, I have had two conversations with Paulette during this campaign,Once at the Chamber event at the Dallas Theatre, And once at the courthouse as the Primary results were being counted.We know each other and I did question her on some of her campaign claims, Particular her tax and spend habits while serving on the school board.

All that has been posted about Paulette has been common knowledge prior to the primary election,everyone who has followed politics in Paulding County knew these issues were there,And were going to surface, More is coming..... The smart thing for the Paulding County Republican Party to do would be to ask her to withdraw from the race, For the sake of the Party.

Paulette is a tax and spend uncontrollable candidate and by no means a conservative as she claims, her record proves this!!!!

Did you specifically discuss the issues you have so often repeated here? Why do you feel the need to repeat the same thing over and over and over and over?

If it were common knowledge why withhold that information from the public at large? Why wait until now? Was it part of a master plan? Did you just want to enjoy an October surprise? Did you fear your candidate couldn't get legitimately elected so you and your cronies decided this backdoor approach was best? I'm not a Paulding native. I grew up "next door" in Cobb. Back in the day I could give you all the "ins and outs" of Cobb politics, but I've never been privy as a Paulding insider. If you have personally betrayed the voters of Paulding this badly, why should we support you and your candidate? Because I would wager that you and your cronies shared this information with him a long time ago. I have zero reason to believe this is all new this week to Will Avery. Do you think we are all pawns in your little games?

• Like 1

So you have a different standard about local officials verses national officials. I see. I see the double standard. Thanks.

Ever noticed how drama seems to follow you everywhere you go, no matter if the litter box is The Highway or here?

You can take your word twisting somewhere else. I have no desire to debate your ridiculousness all night. I didn't say that. There's no double standard.

WTH are you talking about? Drama follows me? No, I don't think so.

Paulette debated Stout, Why will she not Debate Will Avery???

She attended all the functions during the primary, Why did she not attend the chamber event this week?

You just said you know her. Why don't you call and ask her! Her phone number is very easy to locate. I am not her official spokesperson.

• Like 1

You can take your word twisting somewhere else. I have no desire to debate your ridiculousness all night. I didn't say that. There's no double standard.

You just said you know her. Why don't you call and ask her! Her phone number is very easy to locate. I am not her official spokesperson.

You said something silly trying to defend your candidate. Just admit you did it and move on. Not a big deal.

Madea, knows Drama. Oh, yes. She knows drama.

Edited by stercus tauri
  • Like 1

Did you specifically discuss the issues you have so often repeated here? Why do you feel the need to repeat the same thing over and over and over and over?

If it were common knowledge why withhold that information from the public at large? Why wait until now? Was it part of a master plan? Did you just want to enjoy an October surprise? Did you fear your candidate couldn't get legitimately elected so you and your cronies decided this backdoor approach was best? I'm not a Paulding native. I grew up "next door" in Cobb. Back in the day I could give you all the "ins and outs" of Cobb politics, but I've never been privy as a Paulding insider. If you have personally betrayed the voters of Paulding this badly, why should we support you and your candidate? Because I would wager that you and your cronies shared this information with him a long time ago. I have zero reason to believe this is all new this week to Will Avery. Do you think we are all pawns in your little games?

In regards to your first question,Yes I Did question her at length about her claim of only voting for one tax increase,during the discussion we had I reminded her of the tax increases that the school board passed over the years, Do not take ny word for her votes, the records are available and on line for the most part.And she is on record (video)of stating that she only voted for one tax increase

With the exception of the arrest for Insurance Fraud, Everything else was brought out in the school board election when Kim Cobb soundly defeated her in the Republican Primary in 2007.

The insurance Fraud thing arose last week,So that was not something that was known during the primary,I did not mean to mis lead you on that one, Another issue arose today about some property that allegedly has been foreclosed on,But that has not been verified as of yet??

To be quite frank with you Madea, Given the past history of candidates /representives of the house district 19 I am very leery of anyone that runs fir this post.

You should support Will Avery because he is the right person for the job, he has no skeltons that will bring shame and disgrace on the citizens of paulding County, He honest,Trustworthy and a very smart individual,who would make a excellent State House Representive for District 19

Paulette Braddock is not a conservtive

I could care less whether she debates or not, The citizens deserve to hear both candidates where they can make an informed decision :D

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

What she said!!!

• Like 1

Assuming all "insiders" were in the know, isn't the onus on your local GOP insiders to dissuade Ms. Braddock from running? Not sure why you'd be looking to the local democrat org (oh, there isn't one) to warn you in primary season why Ms. Braddock will be a lost cause of a candidate.

Once again, absolutely no accountability for YOUR party's lack of preparation and foresight....instead of incredulously glancing at your party leaders for answers to their ineptitude, you and your ilk choose to deflect, deflect, deflect.

mrnnn

• Like 6

Hey Whitey, do you know that your Avery buddy is all for generating new taxes, er, revenue streams?

I found this Q&A of him by the League of Women Voters:

Q: The 2010 General Assembly has received significant criticism for failing to resolve critical financial issues of the state. If elected, what will you do to ensure better success in 2011 and future legislative sessions?

Will Avery: The most striking problem I have seen with the General Assembly is a failure to open up all non-income tax revenue streams. A levy on the purchase of cigarettes would yield an estimated $600 million in revenue increases per year, and a point-of-sale bill would collect over $1 billion. We need to ensure fiscal solvency, and we need to do so without raising your taxes. If elected, I pledge to find those revenue streams, and ensure that all of Georgia's programs remain properly funded.

To clarify, Will is not opposed to increased cigarette taxes, as in his opinion they will also discourage young people from smoking and save long term healthcare dollars in the future. Personally I question the savings, but he has never avoided this position and has been very frank and straightforward in his answers on questions of budget. The point of sale bill refers to a different way to COLLECT sales taxes not a sales tax increase. Again, he has been very plain on this point also.

I thought you said you were not going to post anymore????? In any event welcome back,You were missed laugh.gif

Thanks!smile.gif I may hang around for a while. At least until my stalker finds me again. I am trying to keep up with all of the mud flying around. Got any new mud lying around?

:nea: I don't feel this is "Mud" flying around.

Seems to me Paulette's Pandora's Box in her closet full of skeletons has been opened. She should spend more time over at East Paulding High.....at the Boneyard! :drinks:

The attendence and voting records for her tenure on the BOE are available for anyone to view and research via the BOE website. 250 missed votes from the 40+ meetings she missed, arrived late, or left early. But I am sure we will hear how hard she will strive to make it to her seat under the Gold Dome and be there to vote EVERYTIME it matters. :unsure: <_>

Her BOE voting records showing her NOT conservative voting record, including 8 out of 8 tax increases, 2 EPLOSTs, and 2 Bond Referendums. Conservative my ass, and her Tea Party Mug is full of something else. She never said NO!:angry2: to a tax increase.

The Business bankruptcy came out 2 years ago in her last bid for the BOE. It does kind of put a damper on her 21 year Entreprenurial business record, not to mention those local businesses that got stuck for what she owed them. A major account refused to settle and is still persuing their debt in the Federal courts. :ph34r:

Let's add in the Domestic Violence arrest. Yes, the charges were dropped as part of the divorce settlement, but that does not erase the arrest. The Sheriff's Deputy saw and heard enough to take her in and arrest her. And she forgot to tell the Paulding GOP about this event????? Completely skipped her mind. :huh:

And now the Insurance Fraud Arrest and Indictment, plea bargained with a "NOLO" plea, which includes an admission of guilt, for [a fraud] repairs to her computer that she says happened when it was damaged at her home in Paulding county, but the charges and the arrest was at her place of business in Cobb County? There were no "Trumped up charges" or it would not have gone the full distance. And she forgot, again, to let the Paulding GOP know about this. Forgot a felony arrest and NOLO plea ? :huh: :good:

A pending Ethics Investigation based her failure to disclose the thousands spent by her business to provide her campaign 3 mass mailings. Again, she forgot to list the $thousands and $thousands of "In Kind" donations from her company [which would far exceed the maximum allowed]. :nea:

I guess she had to do the in kind donations from her company to do the mailings since her disclosures showed no money raised from her 4th of July BBQ, or ANY other donations from July 1st through August 17th ? :o

She could not attend the Chamber Forum with the other candidates Thursday the 7th because she had a previous committment to go on a Cruise. [she and her posse knew if they could pull off the primary run-off she would not really have to be around to campaign in October because they knew EVERYONE would vote for her because of the "R" next to her name]. She would not be available and would be out of town during the forum. :drinks:

But wait,.....Paulette gave a phone intervue with Jim Galloway at the AJC Thursday, and was seen driving down her road in Hiram Friday evening. Was the Cruise on Lake Allatoona Thursday afternoon ? I had assumed it was at least a week long or more in the Carribean. :ph34r:

And some of you call this slinging mud? :nea:

Come on now, no one is slinging any mud, Paulette is just sitting there in the mud up to her neck. No one has to bother to sling anything. :rofl: I do see some definite patterns which just makes me all that much sure we do not want Paulette representing Paulding County downtown at the Gold Dome.

And DAYUM, Will Avery is so un-eventfully squeaky clean he just shines in the sunlight. An Honest breath of fresh air. :pardon: :clapping:

Bright, honest with both feet well planted on the ground. Will would indeed make us proud under the Gold Dome, which is more than I can say for his oppenent.

• Like 4

Hey Whitey, do you know that your Avery buddy is all for generating new taxes, er, revenue streams?

I found this Q&A of him by the League of Women Voters:

Q: The 2010 General Assembly has received significant criticism for failing to resolve critical financial issues of the state. If elected, what will you do to ensure better success in 2011 and future legislative sessions?

Will Avery: The most striking problem I have seen with the General Assembly is a failure to open up all non-income tax revenue streams. A levy on the purchase of cigarettes would yield an estimated $600 million in revenue increases per year, and a point-of-sale bill would collect over $1 billion. We need to ensure fiscal solvency, and we need to do so without raising your taxes. If elected, I pledge to find those revenue streams, and ensure that all of Georgia's programs remain properly funded.

Man, R U kidding me??? I would vote to tax ciggie's so far out of site, you would need to be a Gates or a Trump to afford the little Lung, bladder, brain, breast, & postate cancer causing fire sticks!

I'm so sick of having to walk through smoke to get in to a restaurant, I could puke. And while I'm on my "box" let me just say one more thing..... How would you men feel if, when you finished blowing your nose on the cloth napkin no less, right there at your table which is next to mine, how would you feel if I came by your table and left you and your family I giant juicy fart or hocked a big fat loogie right on your table???? Gross you say? Yes it is so quit blowing your nasty nose in the dining room! Didn't your maw teach you nuttin?

To clarify, Will is not opposed to increased cigarette taxes, as in his opinion they will also discourage young people from smoking and save long term healthcare dollars in the future. Personally I question the savings, but he has never avoided this position and has been very frank and straightforward in his answers on questions of budget. The point of sale bill refers to a different way to COLLECT sales taxes not a sales tax increase. Again, he has been very plain on this point also.

If there is no increase then where does the 1 billion come from?

nea.gif I don't feel this is "Mud" flying around.

Seems to me Paulette's Pandora's Box in her closet full of skeletons has been opened. She should spend more time over at East Paulding High.....at the Boneyard! drinks.gif

The attendence and voting records for her tenure on the BOE are available for anyone to view and research via the BOE website. 250 missed votes from the 40+ meetings she missed, arrived late, or left early. But I am sure we will hear how hard she will strive to make it to her seat under the Gold Dome and be there to vote EVERYTIME it matters. unsure.gif dry.gif

Her BOE voting records showing her NOT conservative voting record, including 8 out of 8 tax increases, 2 EPLOSTs, and 2 Bond Referendums. Conservative my ass, and her Tea Party Mug is full of something else. She never said NO!angry.gif to a tax increase.

The Business bankruptcy came out 2 years ago in her last bid for the BOE. It does kind of put a damper on her 21 year Entreprenurial business record, not to mention those local businesses that got stuck for what she owed them. A major account refused to settle and is still persuing their debt in the Federal courts. ph34r.gif

Let's add in the Domestic Violence arrest. Yes, the charges were dropped as part of the divorce settlement, but that does not erase the arrest. The Sheriff's Deputy saw and heard enough to take her in and arrest her. And she forgot to tell the Paulding GOP about this event????? Completely skipped her mind. huh.gif

And now the Insurance Fraud Arrest and Indictment, plea bargained with a "NOLO" plea, which includes an admission of guilt, for [a fraud] repairs to her computer that she says happened when it was damaged at her home in Paulding county, but the charges and the arrest was at her place of business in Cobb County? There were no "Trumped up charges" or it would not have gone the full distance. And she forgot, again, to let the Paulding GOP know about this. Forgot a felony arrest and NOLO plea ? huh.gif good.gif

A pending Ethics Investigation based her failure to disclose the thousands spent by her business to provide her campaign 3 mass mailings. Again, she forgot to list the $thousands and $thousands of "In Kind" donations from her company [which would far exceed the maximum allowed]. nea.gif

I guess she had to do the in kind donations from her company to do the mailings since her disclosures showed no money raised from her 4th of July BBQ, or ANY other donations from July 1st through August 17th ? ohmy.gif

She could not attend the Chamber Forum with the other candidates Thursday the 7th because she had a previous committment to go on a Cruise. [she and her posse knew if they could pull off the primary run-off she would not really have to be around to campaign in October because they knew EVERYONE would vote for her because of the "R" next to her name]. She would not be available and would be out of town during the forum. drinks.gif

But wait,.....Paulette gave a phone intervue with Jim Galloway at the AJC Thursday, and was seen driving down her road in Hiram Friday evening. Was the Cruise on Lake Allatoona Thursday afternoon ? I had assumed it was at least a week long or more in the Carribean. ph34r.gif

And some of you call this slinging mud? nea.gif

Come on now, no one is slinging any mud, Paulette is just sitting there in the mud up to her neck. No one has to bother to sling anything. rofl.gif I do see some definite patterns which just makes me all that much sure we do not want Paulette representing Paulding County downtown at the Gold Dome.

And DAYUM, Will Avery is so un-eventfully squeaky clean he just shines in the sunlight. An Honest breath of fresh air. pardon.gif clapping.gif

Bright, honest with both feet well planted on the ground. Will would indeed make us proud under the Gold Dome, which is more than I can say for his oppenent.

All that common sense stuff meses people up!blush.gif

Edited by Animal
  • Like 1

If there is no increase then where does the 1 billion come from?

I'll explain as best I can, but take this with a grain of salt, because I am no Nobel winning economist.

Basically, local businesses are on some sort of "honor system" when it comes to reporting and paying sales taxes. How exactly this works, I am not precisely sure. However, what the point of sale bill does is makes the system more efficient so that all of the owed sales taxes get collected. It's not an increase in the slightest. It's just a system that ensures that the state gets the taxes that you are paying.

• Like 1

I'll explain as best I can, but take this with a grain of salt, because I am no Nobel winning economist.

Basically, local businesses are on some sort of "honor system" when it comes to reporting and paying sales taxes. How exactly this works, I am not precisely sure. However, what the point of sale bill does is makes the system more efficient so that all of the owed sales taxes get collected. It's not an increase in the slightest. It's just a system that ensures that the state gets the taxes that you are paying.

I actually heard DuBose Porter, who was a champion of the bill, explain it.

Seems the state Dept. of Revenue has been decimated by budget cuts. We all know the crap that has been going around with late state income tax refunds and that is far from the extent of it. Seems in their zeal to cut budgets and payroll, the tax collectors were among the first to go.

“You pay a sales tax every time you go to the register. Businesses are required by law to turn this money over to the state,” said Minority Leader DuBose Porter. “There are thousands of businesses across the state that pocket this money instead. They are tax cheats and they are stealing money that belongs to the people and the state of Georgia.”

A pilot program in Hall County found over 25% of businesses had failed to obtain a sales tax license. This matches findings in three other counties and the state-wide initiative recently used in Alabama to collect over $1 billion.

This bill does not create a new tax,” said Representative Virgil Fludd “It simply ensures we are collecting the tax dollars citizens have already paid and stops tax cheats from hijacking the money instead of giving it to the state. This is fair for Georgia citizens who pay their taxes and fair to businesses who are following the law.

“The Republican bill will continue to protect the cheaters and allow the state revenue department to remain inefficient and unaccountable to local government. Our bill corrects both of these problems,” said. Rep. Porter.

By involving the local governments - typically they get two or three cents of the six or seven collected, the collections, the experience in Alabama has shown, will increase. The thing to remember is that a good portion of the funds collected as sales tax never make it to the state, but rather are just diverted into private pockets.

pubby

The "Honor" system as it has been for many years, is just too antiquated to enforce. The number of book keepers needed to review every monthly Sales tax form MANUALLY filled out with an arbitrary number on it. For large companies they basically could pay what they wanted. Sales to out of state cusomers are exmept, and many would use that excuse to not pay the state sales tax collected from Georgia customers but stating otherside on the forms. Same for exports, which was half of my business.

Unless some one at the DOR compared the gross receipts on the corporate income taxes with the annual total of the monthly state sales state revenues, and ALL were elligible Georgia purchasers, they would be no way to compare.

So under this bill the state authorizes the 159 tax commissioner offices and however many municiple tax commissioers to collect the tax and give the state their portion, just like they are doing now on the license plate and property tax. The local office gets a BIG motivation to get out their can collect these as it will increase their revenue and speed up how fast they get paid as they won't have to wait for the state to send us our portion.

Makes sense to me, and will stop some of the tax exempt companies, and/or those who claim they are exempt to the state as the county will be able to make them prove they are exempt.

I kind of like this idea although it will have a very negative effect on small businesses who have been collecting the tax from you and me, but not paying it to the state.

Thanks for the explanation. More government to correct a job that they aren't doing well today with.....

I understand it as an honor system, the stores collect the taxes from you and I and are supposed to send the taxes to the state.

We the cictizens do not have a choice the sales tax is collected when we purchase items.

We assume that the money is going to our state to pay for many services.

If the retailers are not sending it to the state then they are cheating us out of our money.

I don't like it that we have to pay so many LE out of our taxes, but it certainly is not their fault that people are criminals and it is not my fault.

Put a stop to sales tax or find a way to make sure the money is being collected.

Thanks for the explanation. More government to correct a job that they aren't doing well today with.....

You are right! We should just keep paying those people to sit in that office and not give them the equipment necessary to do their job efficiently. :blink:

I think Will Avery has made some very clear proposals of possible ways in increase state revenue without raising property or income tax.

I know when we were operating our business here, we were continually flagged by some DOR guy named Denis. We would be showing monthly sales of $250,000, but only pay sales tax of less than $100 for 1 little customer we had with a backyard hatchery who did not have a sales tax exemption form. All our other Georgia customers had exemptions, and those outside of Georgia and the USA did not have to pay Ga. Sales tax. We would have to go down and show him our invoice register with copies of the invoices. He would thumb through them, and send us on our way.

At least we always had the paperwork to back it up.

But we used to talk how easy it would be to make duplicate "Dummy" invoice, collect sales taxes, and keep them. Since Alabama has put their new system into place they increased their revenue the first year by over $1Billion dollars. I would have to say this sounds like a good idea and something the Legislature should look into very, very seriously.

Those who are cheating the system now are those who will be opposed to it.

I think Will Avery has made some very clear proposals of possible ways in increase state revenue without raising property or income tax.

I know when we were operating our business here, we were continually flagged by some DOR guy named Denis. We would be showing monthly sales of $250,000, but only pay sales tax of less than $100 for 1 little customer we had with a backyard hatchery who did not have a sales tax exemption form. All our other Georgia customers had exemptions, and those outside of Georgia and the USA did not have to pay Ga. Sales tax. We would have to go down and show him our invoice register with copies of the invoices. He would thumb through them, and send us on our way.

At least we always had the paperwork to back it up.

But we used to talk how easy it would be to make duplicate "Dummy" invoice, collect sales taxes, and keep them. Since Alabama has put their new system into place they increased their revenue the first year by over $1Billion dollars. I would have to say this sounds like a good idea and something the Legislature should look into very, very seriously.

Those who are cheating the system now are those who will be opposed to it.

Nathan Deal

• Like 1

So what's the alternative? Let them just keep stealing the money collected for taxes? I thought you would be in support of stopping crime but I see you are quite capable of just ignoring it and letting them steal from all of us.

Edited by stercus tauri

You are right! We should just keep paying those people to sit in that office and not give them the equipment necessary to do their job efficiently. :blink:

And doing the job with less personnel, and the same antiquated system they have used for 50 years.

All they are going to do is change it to the local level where the local tax commissioners office will take over the duties collecting these on a regular basis, and those in arrearsalong with the ad valorum tax they collect for the state now. They will be financially motivated to do a good job as they will get the use of their portion as soon as they collect it instead of having to wait for the state to collect it [or not] and send the county THEIR portion. And they are local. Last time I had to mess with the DOR, I had to take the files to Lithia Springs on Thornton Road. I assume Mr Watt's office will be knocking on the door if they are looking to find out why a certain fast food joint, grocery store, or any other establishment that sells good have not sent their check in.

Sounds Win-Win to me.

And vice taxes have never gotten a complaint from me. If I don't want to participate in the vice, I am free not to, and not to spend the tax. If I do, then I pay the tax and go on. Kind of like the price of admission with a ticket. Don't want to pay it, then don't attend the event.