Paulding.com

NewsJunky:

Barnes wasn't fired because he did his job badly. Barnes was fired because he miscalculated the outrage he would face when he removed the confederate battle flag from its prominent position on Georgia's state flag. The St. Andrews Cross was added to the state flag to inflame the segregationists when it was adopted in 1956 and has been an insult to the state's black population since. In essence, by characterizing the flag change as caving to blacks Barnes gave credence to those who have been saying that the Republican party was the only white peoples party in Georgia since 1964.

The emotions associated with race, frankly, are and remain a potent political force in Georgia and the south ... and the GOP has been exploiting it since Goldwater.

What didn't mark Barnes tenure was gross favoritism, cronyism and gross mismanagement of the state.

pubby

Good Lawd! How many times do we have to say it?

You've said it, I've said it.

People are still pissed at Roy and literally hate him for changing the flag.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of folks feel that way but it is what it is and Deal is the better choice. Karen has endorsed him.

He wasn't fired from his job because he did it badly but Barnes was! Once was enough!!!!

This has become the lazy style of the republican party in general. They feel once the primary is over they can just cruise into november. That is one reason we need a strong two party choice. Many peo

Good Lawd! How many times do we have to say it?

You've said it, I've said it.

People are still pissed at Roy and literally hate him for changing the flag.

I don't believe that. If that were true, Sonny would never have gotten a second term. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't give a rip about the flag. I haven't talked with anyone that does care.

I don't believe that. If that were true, Sonny would never have gotten a second term. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't give a rip about the flag. I haven't talked with anyone that does care.

Barnes is hated for changing the Ga flag.

Sonny got his 2nd term from folks that vote Republican no matter what.

It's good to know what's important to Georgia voters.

IF you believe the few comments here.

Barnes is hated for changing the Ga flag.

Sonny got his 2nd term from folks that vote Republican no matter what.

Still not buying it. Doesn't matter who says it, I don't believe that's it.

She has no criminal record. She wasn't charged or convicted. It was a domestic disturbance. When the cops are called, someone is going to jail. He had a scratch, she went. Divorce can be an ugly thing at times. They work together today to parent their children.

Madea, if I were you I would spend the next few days finding me some comfortable hip waders, because from what I'm hearing ther sheeze is about to get real deep. Just how smart can Paulette be if she KNOWS her past and thought nobody would look into it?

Climb out of your shell and talk to the home folks. You might learn something. ;)

Johnny, I have a very well rounded group of friends from every single possible walk of life. In my job I meet people from every possible walk of life. The flag has never been an issue among any of those people.

Johnny, I have a very well rounded group of friends from every single possible walk of life. In my job I meet people from every possible walk of life. The flag has never been an issue among any of those people.

Not among those I know either. The teachers had some real issues with Barnes that had nothing to do with the flag.

Madea, every redneck in Georgia climbed out from under their pick up truck long enough to register and vote the only time in their life to get back at Barnes for replacing the rebel flag.

The teacher thing had little to do with Barnes' loss.

NATHAN DEAL! He'll steal it all the first time. :unsure:

Madea, every redneck in Georgia climbed out from under their pick up truck long enough to register and vote the only time in their life to get back at Barnes for replacing the rebel flag.

NATHAN DEAL! He'll steal it all the first time. unsure.gif

I guess that is why Barnes is apologizing all over Georgia to the teachers. It had a lot to do with his defeat.

I guess that is why Barnes is apologizing all over Georgia to the teachers. It had a lot to do with his defeat.

Googled "Roy Barnes apologies site:youtube.com" and got 40 hits. Should I post all of those YouTubes? pardon.gif

NATHAN DEAL! He'll steal it all the first time. :unsure:

Yes the flag issue was a significant one, however, you may be fooling yourself if you think his betrayal of the teachers had "little to do" with his loss. Every teacher I talked to (well over 50 of them) voted for Sonny not for the flag issue, but for Barnes' betrayal.

I am saying that a lot of the votes, maybe even the majority of the votes were in response to the flag change.

I voted for Sonny the first time. I had reservations about Roy's style. But then there was Sonny. And now there is Deal.

Yes the flag issue was a significant one, however, you may be fooling yourself if you think his betrayal of the teachers had "little to do" with his loss. Every teacher I talked to (well over 50 of them) voted for Sonny not for the flag issue, but for Barnes' betrayal.

They prefer the delusional world where we are all redneck hillbillies who want "our" flag back.

• Like 2

NATHAN DEAL! He'll steal it all the first time. unsure.gif

I think that Madea has just fogotten how much controversy the flag thing was. It was several years ago.....

What I'm wondering is what happened to the ability of people to be able to accurately assess character? I think that there's a real undescribed social dynamic at work here. It's one that seeks self-destruction.

Nathan Deal? Really? This is the State of Georgia putting a loaded gun in its mouth and pulling the trigger. "Why didn't we see the signs?" people will moan.

I see 'em!

I am saying that a lot of the votes, maybe even the majority of the votes were in response to the flag change.

I voted for Sonny the first time. I had reservations about Roy's style. But then there was Sonny. And now there is Deal.

clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif Whooo Hooo We have a winner! Everyone "had reservations" about "King Roy's" style.

They prefer the delusional world where we are all redneck hillbillies who want "our" flag back.

Damn Madea, I just accidentally gave you a plus one. lol There is nothing delusional about the fact that people voted against Barnes because of the flag that had never voted before or since.

I think that Madea has just fogotten how much controversy the flag thing was. It was several years ago.....

What I'm wondering is what happened to the ability of people to be able to accurately assess character? I think that there's a real undescribed social dynamic at work here. It's one that seeks self-destruction.

Nathan Deal? Really? This is the State of Georgia putting a loaded gun in its mouth and pulling the trigger. "Why didn't we see the signs?" people will moan.

I see 'em!

Well, I'm obviously not the only one with memory problems. Everything King Roy did has gone by the wayside in an attempt to get him back in that seat. Hell, I don't know why he wants to move, his new house appears to be much nicer than the governor's mansion. It's easy to sit here 8 years later and say it was all the flag and pretend like nothing else happened during his first run. As I recall, all the little signs said "Sonny lied". Not, "King Roy lied". (There's probably a few of those still around on some side streets.) If it were really the flag, and all the rednecks coming out from their trucks that took King Roy down, Sonny would have never served a second term.

Would you re-marry an ex-wife?

Damn Madea, I just accidentally gave you a plus one. lol There is nothing delusional about the fact that people voted against Barnes because of the flag that had never voted before or since.

[in my best Sally Fields voice] You love me, you really love me! rofl.gif

clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif Whooo Hooo We have a winner! Everyone "had reservations" about "King Roy's" style.

Yep! But my former business partner is from Dawsonville. His family is good freinds with Deal. He has told me some of the things Deal has done and the guy is a no-good.

I'm not going to lie... I don't know who to vote for as Governor. I'm just looking at each of them and go from there...

One thing I do know is that I don't see why we would want a crook as Governor considering the financial situation....

Edited by Octobers_Dream
  • Like 2

I'm just trying to find out info on the candidates so that I can decide who to vote for.

IMO though considering what we know about Deal, does GA really need a crook as governor with the financial situation like it is nowadays?

You will have to weigh all the evidence out for yourself in order to make a decision, but I will say this much. Roy Barnes has no ethics charges breathing down his neck. He was governor, he made some decisions that governors are supposed to make, with the exception of the spineless Sonny Perdue, and not all of his decisions worked out for the best.

I think all of Roy's decisions had the best interest of the state in mind when he made them. And Roy is man enough to admit his mistakes. I don't know about you but I prefer a person that can admit their mistakes and move on over a person that tries to hide, cheat and steal like Mr. Deal is doing.

The Republicans have the attitude that they owe no explanation for anything. They THINK they are royalty and that needs to end now.

You will have to weigh all the evidence out for yourself in order to make a decision, but I will say this much. Roy Barnes has no ethics charges breathing down his neck. He was governor, he made some decisions that governors are supposed to make, with the exception of the spineless Sonny Perdue, and not all of his decisions worked out for the best.

I think all of Roy's decisions had the best interest of the state in mind when he made them. And Roy is man enough to admit his mistakes. I don't know about you but I prefer a person that can admit their mistakes and move on over a person that tries to hide, cheat and steal like Mr. Deal is doing.

The Republicans have the attitude that they owe no explanation for anything. They THINK they are royalty and that needs to end now.

I have voted Republican since I turned 18 but I just can't grasp why we would elect someone in that position who is a crook.

IMO: That would be like my parents re-hiring the man that built our house when he stole money from us the first time around.

I know that may not be understood but to me it's basically the same with the exception of it being a house vs being Governor of a state. KWIM?

I have voted Republican since I turned 18 but I just can't grasp why we would elect someone in that position who is a crook.

IMO: That would be like my parents re-hiring the man that built our house when he stole money from us the first time around.

I know that may not be understood but to me it's basically the same with the exception of it being a house vs being Governor of a state. KWIM?

Kinda in the same way a vote for Roy is like re-marrying your ex-husband/wife.

• Like 1

Kinda in the same way a vote for Roy is like re-marrying your ex-husband/wife.

Touché!

I'm looking into all 3 cause I wasn't old enough to vote during Roy Barnes so even if I vote for him I wouldn't be re-voting for him... :-)

So far I pretty much know I'm not voting Deal... between Monds & Barnes I'm looking at their platforms & such.

Sonny Perdue did not win re-election based on his stellar job performance.

And in case we forget, he's another party-switcher who hasn't exactly set the standard for ethical behavior in office.

Anyone living here and paying attention at the time knows exactly what sent Perdue to the governor's mansion.

Everything King Roy did has gone by the wayside in an attempt to get him back in that seat

What did he do that was so awful we've collectively blocked it from memory?

All things considered, I think I'd still prefer my ex to a thief if I had to make that choice.

Edited by rednekkhikkchikk
  • Like 2

And in case we forget, he's another party-switcher who hasn't exactly set the standard for ethical behavior in office.

Anyone living here and paying attention at the time knows exactly what sent Perdue to the governor's mansion.

All things considered, I think I'd still prefer my ex to a thief if I had to make that choice.

agreed

I see 'em!

Whew! Exactly.

I think the year he changed the flag was 2001.

Had it not been significant he wouldn't have been awared this:

In 2003, Barnes was awarded the Profile in Courage Award by the John F. Kennedy Library for his success while governor of minimizing the Confederate battle emblem on the Georgia state flag despite the political fallout. It is widely believed that his support of the flag change significantly contributed to his re-election defeat in 2002.

Had it not been significant he wouldn't have suffered such a defeat:

Facing re-election, he lost in an upset in November 2002 as part of a larger Republican midterm sweep.[11] Many commentators point to the ire of voters opposing the flag change and his upsetting of teachers as leading to his defeat.[6] Barnes was defeated by Sonny Perdue, the first Republican to be elected Governor of Georgia since Reconstruction.[11]

Whew! Exactly.

I think the year he changed the flag was 2001.

Had it not been significant he wouldn't have been awared this:

In 2003, Barnes was awarded the Profile in Courage Award by the John F. Kennedy Library for his success while governor of minimizing the Confederate battle emblem on the Georgia state flag despite the political fallout. It is widely believed that his support of the flag change significantly contributed to his re-election defeat in 2002.

Had it not been significant he wouldn't have suffered such a defeat:

Facing re-election, he lost in an upset in November 2002 as part of a larger Republican midterm sweep.[11] Many commentators point to the ire of voters opposing the flag change and his upsetting of teachers as leading to his defeat.[6] Barnes was defeated by Sonny Perdue, the first Republican to be elected Governor of Georgia since Reconstruction.[11]

If you say it often enough maybe folks will begin to believe it. I was in Georgia when all of this went down. He lost because we had had enough of King Roy. The state had district lines thrown out by the courts, the teachers were thrown under the bus, and he acted like he was king of all he surveyed. Once was enough. I want a Governor who will take a stand against unconstitutional bills like the Health Care Bill. I do not think GA would be one of the 20 states challenging it if Barnes were Governor. Flag was NEVER an issue with me.

NewsJunky:

Barnes wasn't fired because he did his job badly. Barnes was fired because he miscalculated the outrage he would face when he removed the confederate battle flag from its prominent position on Georgia's state flag. The St. Andrews Cross was added to the state flag to inflame the segregationists when it was adopted in 1956 and has been an insult to the state's black population since. In essence, by characterizing the flag change as caving to blacks Barnes gave credence to those who have been saying that the Republican party was the only white peoples party in Georgia since 1964.

The emotions associated with race, frankly, are and remain a potent political force in Georgia and the south ... and the GOP has been exploiting it since Goldwater.

What didn't mark Barnes tenure was gross favoritism, cronyism and gross mismanagement of the state.

pubby

Poor Pubster. He sees a racist behind every pine tree. Rule Number 5.

PS: Don't stand outside in a lightning storm. That last statement would qualify you for a big tingle.

• Like 1

Great post. I'm just out of positive post thingys. Been using them on my posts all day. :rofl: