Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
menopausal

Paulding counties secret places, etc.

Okay, I have lived in Paulding for 15 years and just found out about The McGarity house today, it is beautiful.

SO, that got me to thinking, what other "little-known" things exist?

I would like to play a game. List either a person, place, thing or event that is or has been in Paulding that is not well known.

I have 3 things that are OFF TOPIC, PLEASE do not mention: the tunnels, airport, or Ms.Jessie. THANKS.

Edited by menopausal
  • Like 1

Pffft, I'm not giving away my secrets. Then everyone will go there. :lol:

Bartlett Hutchins

Henderson House

Goldmine Lake

Spring Street

waterfall (Hi Shoals)

Not to be a Debbie Downer but we went there, loaded the dogs in the truck and found it (thanks to NG directions) and found soooooooo much trash down there! Someone has set up a cookout area and just bags of trash plus there is alot of it just thrown around. OK fine, we walk down to the "water" you call that a waterfall? Really? A waterfall? I call it a trickle. Some bonehead actually felt the need to break beer bottles on the rocks. Nice.

I'd like to gather up some folks to go in there and clean it up!

I really dislike litterbugs.

Sorry for the downer but it could be pretty nice. Still would not be a waterfall but it could be nice.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but we went there, loaded the dogs in the truck and found it (thanks to NG directions) and found soooooooo much trash down there! Someone has set up a cookout area and just bags of trash plus there is alot of it just thrown around. OK fine, we walk down to the "water" you call that a waterfall? Really? A waterfall? I call it a trickle. Some bonehead actually felt the need to break beer bottles on the rocks. Nice.

I'd like to gather up some folks to go in there and clean it up!

I really dislike litterbugs.

Sorry for the downer but it could be pretty nice. Still would not be a waterfall but it could be nice.

That's a SHAME!!!!

A couple of years ago a few people in the county cleaned it up and the

county recycle dept was supposed to keep it up. (as it is a park)

Wish there were more hours in the week.

Maybe we can get Cpl. Gurley to send a prison detail out there to

clean it up. :pardon:

That's a SHAME!!!!

A couple of years ago a few people in the county cleaned it up and the

county recycle dept was supposed to keep it up. (as it is a park)

Wish there were more hours in the week.

Maybe we can get Cpl. Gurley to send a prison detail out there to

clean it up. pardon.gif

Now THAT is an excellent idea. Ohhhhhh Cpl. Gurleyyyyyyyy, got a request. smile.gif

Okay, I have lived in Paulding for 15 years and just found out about The McGarity house today, it is beautiful.

SO, that got me to thinking, what other "little-known" things exist?

I would like to play a game. List either a person, place, thing or event that is or has been in Paulding that is not well known.

I have 3 things that are OFF TOPIC, PLEASE do not mention: the tunnels, airport, or Ms.Jessie. THANKS.

Now THAT is an excellent idea. Ohhhhhh Cpl. Gurleyyyyyyyy, got a request. smile.gif

I appoint you head of the p.com committee to clean up the falls...

can I get a 2nd :lol:

seriously... I know people that have been married there and even Baptized. :wub:

I appoint you head of the p.com committee to clean up the falls...

can I get a 2nd laugh.gif

There are times you just have to ask yourself "Are you sure, really sure, that you want to do that?" glare.gif

Come on CC you know the guy, put a flea in his ear.

There are times you just have to ask yourself "Are you sure, really sure, that you want to do that?" glare.gif

Come on CC you know the guy, put a flea in his ear.

I was jusy PLaaaaaaaaayin ;) :pardon:

(I will put a flea in his ear... maybe two!) :lol:

I was jusy PLaaaaaaaaayin wink.gif pardon.gif

(I will put a flea in his ear... maybe two!) laugh.gif

Well now that we have highjacked this thread (I guess I do that alot, don't mean to, just kinda happens) if you will do that and he wants/needs citizens to help I got a PM and another poster indicates that she would be willing to help too.

I am very serious. If I can help, I will.

BTW CC, you rock Big Boy. yahoo.gif

[/size]

The waving man. Lots of people doesn't know the waving man. But on the other side a lot of people do. I would say that more people blow their horn passing his house in one day then all of Paulding County put together. A very interesting man to talk to.good.gif good.gif good.gif

Well now that we have highjacked this thread (I guess I do that alot, don't mean to, just kinda happens) if you will do that and he wants/needs citizens to help I got a PM and another poster indicates that she would be willing to help too.

I am very serious. If I can help, I will.

BTW CC, you rock Big Boy. yahoo.gif

OK! :good:

:wub: :wub: ~~~~ SORRY for the Hi-jack! ~~~~ :wub: :wub: :wub:

The waving man. Lots of people doesn't know the waving man. But on the other side a lot of people do. I would say that more people blow their horn passing his house in one day then all of Paulding County put together. A very interesting man to talk to.good.gif good.gif good.gif

What area is this man in? He is not Jay Roberts is he?

Guest Oscar

Many places are a diamond in the rough. The KEY is to learn some of the local history and THEN go on a hunt of certain places.

I've known about a waterfalls that is a real waterfalls, a good 20 to 30 ft drop. Known about it since I was a kid. Took all my girlfriends there when I was a teenager. It's a really great place. It's on private property though and I think they've fenced it off since I was a teenager. Too bad. It was a heck of a walk to get to it also...

• Like 3

Tell me about this elusive creature I have heard mentioned.

OOOO!!!

Paulding County is LOADED with them!!

Just gotta be on the look out!

I have one as a pet and she LOVES to play with her BOBO. (stuffed animal)

They're very ELUSIVE, but with patience you can see plenty of them!

FRED's is a favorite hangout of the chupacabra!

OH! And they are great for pulling carts of boulders out of the tunnels......oh wait.....I wasn't supposed to mention the "T" word!! B)

Edited by Blondiega1
  • Like 1

I knew someone wouldn't follow the rules nea.gif

I've been dying to post that I saw Miss Jessie for the first time Friday. She had her back to me, but at least I know she really exists :ninja:

I've been dying to post that I saw Miss Jessie for the first time Friday. She had her back to me, but at least I know she really exists ninja.gif

Okay, that was funny so I will let the rule-breaking slip..........Now back to the topic. Let's twist it up and add any Haunted places. I mentioned the McGarity House and in my conversation today I was told that it was a Plantation during the war and rumor was it was haunted, does anyone have any stories?

Where is the McGarity House?

In the Roses store/Temple area.

It is used for weddings now and someone I know will be getting married there. I had no idea it existed. I googled and FB it and it is very pretty. I am interested in knowing some more about it. Nothing I pulled up on the net gave any real info. on it's history so that is why I started this topic. I would like to know more about it and other "unknown/secret" county things.

The Finches solded High Schoals to the county several years ago. it is now county propery

Yep, it is owned by Parks and Rec. The fence is sometimes used to block off the area where you can park, it usually gets opened even when it is locked. It's a shame the Parks and Rec can't use some of the SPLOST $ they are getting to dedicate to the falls. It would be nice to have a couple of trash cans down there. Maybe people would actually use them.

Many places are a diamond in the rough. The KEY is to learn some of the local history and THEN go on a hunt of certain places.

I agree. The library has lots of info on the History of Paulding. I'm pretty sure the PC museum has some info as well, it's just not opened enough for a spur of the moment visit. :(

I was fascinated about some of the stuff I read. I think I even read through the book Judge Foster wrote about Paulding.

Where is the McGarity House?

If you go down Buchanan Hwy towards Temple, go passed rose's store. I think it is the 2 road on the right.(just passed the power grid thingys on the left) The name of the road is McGarity Road. You will go a long way down McGarity. It will be after the big curve on your left..

Or you could turn right at Rose's store, go down to Scott's store, turn left right after Scott's. at the 4 way stop turn left. Turn left at the second Rd to the left, that is McGarity Road. The house will be down on your right, coming from this way.

The McGarity HouseAddress:

943 McGarity Rd

Temple, GA 30179

(770) 505-7592

Edited by orrby

Two "haunted" places that come to mind are places my friends & I went to as teenagers. One was the "Witches Graveyard" off Monroe Cole Rd. The other was the 2nd Humpback Bridge. I don't think either place is still there due to new construction. I've witnessed very scary stuff at both locations. Probably wouldn't go there now even if they were accessible. Come to think of it, the graveyard has to be there, I just don't know how you'd get to it. The last time I went through there there was a subdivision there. YIKES!!

Two "haunted" places that come to mind are places my friends & I went to as teenagers. One was the "Witches Graveyard" off Monroe Cole Rd. The other was the 2nd Humpback Bridge. I don't think either place is still there due to new construction. I've witnessed very scary stuff at both locations. Probably wouldn't go there now even if they were accessible. Come to think of it, the graveyard has to be there, I just don't know how you'd get to it. The last time I went through there there was a subdivision there. YIKES!!

Cool! Where are/were they at?

Cool! Where are/were they at?

Witches Graveyard is off Monroe Cole. Turn on Monroe Cole from Cole Lake Rd. It was on the right up a steep hill. It wasn't a real road, more like a trail but wide enough to drive up. Like I said there's a subdivision there now so idk what happened to it??? Maybe its in someones backyard. Lol. Nah, it was pretty big. Its got to still be there somewhere. The bridge was one of the two old wooden bridges off 278. The 2nd one was blocked off for several years. The 1st one was rebuilt its located close to the bowling alley. The other one was on the other side of 278. I believe the road was extened on through to Windale so I'm not sure what happened to it.

You mean the gentleman who lives on Hwy 92 and does the weather boxes? (I used to think he was a bee keeper) I understand he is very nice.

Witches Graveyard is off Monroe Cole. Turn on Monroe Cole from Cole Lake Rd. It was on the right up a steep hill. It wasn't a real road, more like a trail but wide enough to drive up. Like I said there's a subdivision there now so idk what happened to it??? Maybe its in someones backyard. Lol. Nah, it was pretty big. Its got to still be there somewhere. The bridge was one of the two old wooden bridges off 278. The 2nd one was blocked off for several years. The 1st one was rebuilt its located close to the bowling alley. The other one was on the other side of 278. I believe the road was extened on through to Windale so I'm not sure what happened to it.

Neat! So what are the stories?

waterfall (Hi Shoals)

I've heard people talk about this place and wanted to ask where it is located. But, then I read the following posts as to it not being so nice anymore. That is a shame!

Neat! So what are the stories?

A group of friends and I went to the old bridge just to "hang out" one night. We had never heard any ghost stories about this place, we only went there looking for something to do. It was pitch black out there. We had been standing on the bridge about 10 minutes when we all saw a white human-like shaped figure on the bank below us. We all took off running and no one said a word until we got back to the car. Now that I'm older I've tried to justify what I saw that night but I can't. We ALL saw it, whatever it was. There was absolutely no light out there so it couldn't have been a reflection. I've never seen anything like it since. Thank goodness. We WERE young, can't say for sure it was a ghost. Whatever it was scared us enough to never go back.

As far as the graveyard, it was just a creepy place. We would hear noises but never saw anything. Now I know the sounds could've been anything. At the time we were young and thought we were hearing the screams of the witches. Lol. Probably just coyotes.