Paulding.com

Debate Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Will Avery, (770) 508-8823, will@averyforgeorgia.com

Steve Golden, Campaign Manager, steve@averyforgeorgia.com

MEDIA ALERT:

Will Avery, Democratic candidate for Paulding County’s 19th district in the Georgia

House of Representatives, challenges Republican opponent to a series of debates

NEWS ADVISORY FOR SEPTEMBER 8, 11:00 AM

Democratic candidate for Paulding County’s 19th district in the Georgia House of

Representatives Will Avery moved forward with his campaign this week, issuing a debate challenge to

Republican opponent Paulette Braddock. Avery spoke with Braddock on September 7 inviting her to appear at

a series of debates during the months leading to the November election.

(Dallas - GA)

Avery proposes a series of bi-monthly debates in September and October. Each debate, as proposed by Avery,

would have a theme such as education, the economy, and job creation, and would conclude with an open

forum question and answer session with residents of the 19th district. The location and hosts of the debates

have not been specified, other than being held in the 19th district and moderated by a non-partisan group,

according to Avery’s proposal.

During her conversation with Avery, Ms. Braddock replied that she only will participate in debates during the

month of October. In the same conversation, Ms. Braddock added that she would not, however, attend the

October 7 debate scheduled by the Paulding Chamber of Commerce. Avery will attend the Chamber debate.

Avery stated, “I encourage Ms. Braddock to participate in honest and open debates about the future of our

state. As candidates for the Georgia House of Representatives, and in respect for American democracy, we

owe it to District 19 voters to address their concerns in an open forum. During tough economic times such as

those which we are experiencing, the people of Paulding County are struggling, and they deserve leaders who

will prioritize their interests. I am that leader.”

"Public debates are essential to a democratic election, so that for the public to be informed about the

differences of our opinions and positions," Avery said. "The best way for the public to learn about each of the

candidates is to have the two people who are running for office answer their questions."

Avery said he is eager to debate the Republican nominee, “I look forward to letting District 19 voters decide

who they think best represents the interests of Paulding County’s families, workers, and job creators. Voters

have been waiting patiently to compare the candidates, and I propose the first debate be held as soon as

possible.”

A formal invitation with Avery’s proposal was extended to Ms. Braddock today in hopes that the Republican

candidate will reconsider. The Avery campaign said that Braddock had not yet committed to any debates, and

invites the Republican nominee to join Avery in discussing their differences in a public exchange of ideas.

• Like 1

Will what exactly are you trying to prove here?? I can't say I am surprised at this behavior at all. unsure.gif

What do you mean, exactly, by "prove?" To me, this seems like a straightforward release-- stating that Mr. Avery would like the opportunity to debate Ms. Braddock, which by the looks of the previous thread, seems not to be something she would prefer to do.

If anything, I would say that Will wants to "prove" that he wants to be open and honest with Paulding voters, and that he wants to "prove" that he will be responsive to their needs and requests.

• Like 1

Will what exactly are you trying to prove here?? I can't say I am surprised at this behavior at all. :unsure:

He is trying to "prove" that he is willing to face the voters of the 19th district and answer their questions in an open forum, he invited Ms. Braddock to join him, and may the best person win.

The ball is now in her court. Do you think she should debate and discuss the issues affecting the 19th district or continue to rest on her party affiliation? Which is better for the citizens of Paulding County?

• Like 1

I think good clean debates are a great thing for the voters. I also think voters should be able to ask some question and have them answered off the cuff.

Agreed. Prepared remarks are all well and good, but unless an elected official can answer the "hard questions," I don't see how they are any good.

Agreed. Prepared remarks are all well and good, but unless an elected official can answer the "hard questions," I don't see how they are any good.

I believe that an open form of debate is exactly what Will is proposing. You are correct that anything else would just be a verbalization of their websites. I want to know what the candidate will do and how they think, not the politically crafted statements of their campaign brain trust.

I agree as well. It would be nice if we could get some non-aligned moderators to host the debates. I know there is one set for the Chamber.

I would like to see 2 or 3 and maybe one somewhere on the weekend where some of our transient workforce might could attend.

I agree as well. It would be nice if we could get some non-aligned moderators to host the debates. I know there is one set for the Chamber.

I would like to see 2 or 3 and maybe one somewhere on the weekend where some of our transient workforce might could attend.

Perhaps Jim Galloway is available once again. He's always fun to listen to.

I'm still trying to figure out what was press release worthy in there.

Will is wanting to discuss the topics in an open moderated forum. Paulette has already turned down the Chamber Debate, so he has thrown his hat in the ring to several other debates.

As I recall, Jason Anivitarte had numerous "press releases" which were posted on p.com.

And it is newsworthy to let the voters know when any such debates will be held.

Will Paulette come out and participate, or just lay low ? Time will tell.

I'm still trying to figure out what was press release worthy in there.

Political campaigns send out press releases often. This one, to me, was more of an open debate challenge that Will wanted to ensure got to the press. If your only attack is deeming what is "worthy" of coverage, then that is pretty weak.

Political campaigns send out press releases often. This one, to me, was more of an open debate challenge that Will wanted to ensure got to the press. If your only attack is deeming what is "worthy" of coverage, then that is pretty weak.

I've made no claim of seeking to attack.

I heard the old timers say "if u skeered, just say u skeered...

I guess this is her way of saying she is scared.

What say you, Paulette?

See it is comments like this that remind me just how childish some adults are and realize they should have no place in politics.

• Like 1

Well, I don't know why Paulette has not committed to debate but she is out working in the district. She has been through my neighborhood a couple of times. I would much rather have someone visit me than listen to pre-meditated dribble that usually comes out of a debate. Look me in the face and tell me. I don't need a debate to decide who I will vote for.

Well, I don't know why Paulette has not committed to debate but she is out working in the district. She has been through my neighborhood a couple of times. I would much rather have someone visit me than listen to pre-meditated dribble that usually comes out of a debate. Look me in the face and tell me. I don't need a debate to decide who I will vote for.

If the sides know the questions in advance, you are correct, you will hear the statements of their campaign staff. If the questions are spontaneous from the audience or are asked by a neutral third party, then they have no chance to memorize an anwser. The latter is the type of debate that is being proposed.

In a debate the two sides get the chance to answer the exact same question, and to rebut each other's position in a very public forum. They don't just get to pontificate on whatever subject they think they own, which is what they tend to do door to door. I have met both candidates, and in my opinion, Will was the most open and non evasive of the two candidates. He did not answer my questions with platitudes and canned sound bites. He gave me well thought out and very specific answers to the problems that I posed. He appeared to be the most prepared and learned of the two candidates. In contrast, Paulette seemed more interested in telling me about her interest in the tea party and her right to life stance than answering specific questions about policy and budget. That may be perception and that was my experience, your's may vary. That's why it is beneficial for us all to hear them answer the exact same questions asked in the exact same manner.

• Like 1

Like you LTD, I have done my homework on and educated myself on both candidates. I have known Paulette for years. Acutally, the Mrs and I used to participate in her neighborhood Texas Hold Um Friday night card games.

I got involved with BOE politics during the School Bond issue 3+ years ago. Paulette had no explanation then as to why she went along with the BOE tax increase EVERY year of her tenure, and when pinned down about the Bond, she went into the "Do it for the kids" canned speech. Never could give me a straight answer when we questioned getting the BOE to resummit the Bond proposal with half the debt to be paid by the Developers in specific impact fees.

I made it a point to meet Will Avery shortly after he qualified to run. I was impressed the first time I met him and have gotten to know him pretty good the past 4 months. He is well aware of the situation Paulding is in regarding any serious industrial economic development and what it will take to bring industry and JOBS to Paulding. From the tier system changes necessary to what other enticements the county will have to be prepared to offer.

I see Will as being an excellent choice to represent his constituents, those paying the taxes here.

I see Paulette as continuing the policies of Galloway/Sherain/Richardson downtown, doing for the ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS and saying to hell with the rest of the taxpaying public.

Kim Cobb has shown herself to be one of the best BOE members ever elected after defeating Paulette for that position 2 years ago. Will Avery would be able to do the same for the district 19 legislative seat.

Our local GOP has been the pawn of a small group who have made one hell of a lot of money along with their RBMDs backers for more than a decade. If those who want to only look at the partisan politics of this race care to vote Paulette into this seat they need to realize they will be giving Shearin and company another chance to stay in controls of the local politics.

If a BiPartisan electorate care to vote Will Avery into this job, the old group within the local GOP will be finished, and hopefully will move on to new pastures to rape and pillage.

Avery has the right mind set and attitude to do well as the District 19 Legislator. IMHO Paulette would be an unmitigated disaster, and Paulding would forfeit real representation yet again.

• Like 1

I see Will as being an excellent choice to represent his constituents, those paying the taxes here.

I see Paulette as continuing the policies of Galloway/Sherain/Richardson downtown, doing for the ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS and saying to hell with the rest of the taxpaying public.

Avery has the right mind set and attitude to do well as the District 19 Legislator. IMHO Paulette would be an unmitigated disaster, and Paulding would forfeit real representation yet again.

You will forfeit representation if you elect a Dem to a Republican controlled House. He won't have a voice in anything in his own caucus much less with the greater House. Don't kid yourself here. If he is elected, don't expect anything to happen in Paulding unless it is from Howard Maxwell.

• Like 1

You will forfeit representation if you elect a Dem to a Republican controlled House. He won't have a voice in anything in his own caucus much less with the greater House. Don't kid yourself here. If he is elected, don't expect anything to happen in Paulding unless it is from Howard Maxwell.

Have you ever had the opportunity to meet Will? If not, how can you make that judgement?

There are many bills authored, co-sponsored, advocated for, and supported by Democrats in the Republican-controlled State House. One of the reasons I personally like Ralston is because, though he may be a conservative Republican, he listens to everyone and will give you a fair shake. In my observations, Will is outspoken and passionate, which are two things we need in a Representative. Perhaps in his first term he will not be elected to the position of Minority Leader or Whip, but neither will Ms. Braddock. And you also have to ask yourself if you truly believe that Paulette will be warmly embraced by her own party, and if her ideas (whatever they may be) will be carried out.

I have heard Will articulate specific things he wants to bring to Paulding County when it comes to transportation, water, and the like, but I have yet to hear Paulette say anything beyond "Fair Tax" and "Tea Party." Those terms may be all well and good, but they don't deliver solutions. They're empty terms with no substance, just like "liberal" or "conservative." Listen to the ideas.

Some of my republican friends will probably be mad at me for saying this.... but, here I go.

As the former secretary of the Paulding County Women's Club and an active campaigner in the 08 Presidential campaign, I think a debate is healthy and normal course of a campaign. I've not been very active lately because of personal reasons, so I am not in the loop on a lot of things but. However, I am concerned at Mrs. Braddock's seeming unwillingness to debate.

I would love to see a debate between Paulette and Will. I think it will be a great way for people to see what both candidates have to offer.

• Like 2

Have you ever had the opportunity to meet Will? If not, how can you make that judgement?

There are many bills authored, co-sponsored, advocated for, and supported by Democrats in the Republican-controlled State House. One of the reasons I personally like Ralston is because, though he may be a conservative Republican, he listens to everyone and will give you a fair shake. In my observations, Will is outspoken and passionate, which are two things we need in a Representative. Perhaps in his first term he will not be elected to the position of Minority Leader or Whip, but neither will Ms. Braddock. And you also have to ask yourself if you truly believe that Paulette will be warmly embraced by her own party, and if her ideas (whatever they may be) will be carried out.

I have heard Will articulate specific things he wants to bring to Paulding County when it comes to transportation, water, and the like, but I have yet to hear Paulette say anything beyond "Fair Tax" and "Tea Party." Those terms may be all well and good, but they don't deliver solutions. They're empty terms with no substance, just like "liberal" or "conservative." Listen to the ideas.

'

I have met Will and I don't see everyone's fascination with him. He didn't impress me at all. I would like to see the bills authored by Dems that passed last year. Give me a number. It isn't much and nothing of any substance. Ralston is more bipartisan than Glenn but not by much.

Yes, Paulette will be welcomed because all the House Republicans will be happy it isn't Daniel Stout who they all kept at arms reach because of his relationship with Bobby Franklin and voting no against just about everything.

I will state again and I don't care about his "visions" for Paulding County. Paulding will not get any representation if Will is elected. He will be a backbench in his own caucus and not a player in the least.

• Like 1

I have been around the legislature for 15 years dealing with bond sales. You are spot on. For anyone to think that a freshman DEMOCRAT will do anything in Atlanta are fooling themselves. It is the people that don't understand just how the House works that think that Will Avery can make a difference. He won't and he can't.

I am so trying to stay out of these political threads but just had to post on this one.

'

I have met Will and I don't see everyone's fascination with him. He didn't impress me at all. I would like to see the bills authored by Dems that passed last year. Give me a number. It isn't much and nothing of any substance. Ralston is more bipartisan than Glenn but not by much.

Yes, Paulette will be welcomed because all the House Republicans will be happy it isn't Daniel Stout who they all kept at arms reach because of his relationship with Bobby Franklin and voting no against just about everything.

I will state again and I don't care about his "visions" for Paulding County. Paulding will not get any representation if Will is elected. He will be a backbench in his own caucus and not a player in the least.

Edited by HiramGirl
  • Like 1

I have been around the legislature for 15 years dealing with bond sales. You are spot on. For anyone to think that a freshman DEMOCRAT will do anything in Atlanta are fooling themselves. It is the people that don't understand just how the House works that think that Will Avery can make a difference. He won't and he can't.

I am so trying to stay out of these political threads but just had to post on this one.

So we elect someone who has no grasp of the issues whatsoever because she has an R after her name and will do exactly what the Republicans tell her to do? How is that voting for the most qualified candidate? Sounds to me like you're more concerned with keeping the Republicans in power and getting those bond sales than you are with doing the right thing. To each his own, I guess.

• Like 1

Some of my republican friends will probably be mad at me for saying this.... but, here I go.

As the former secretary of the Paulding County Women's Club and an active campaigner in the 08 Presidential campaign, I think a debate is healthy and normal course of a campaign. I've not been very active lately because of personal reasons, so I am not in the loop on a lot of things but. However, I am concerned at Mrs. Braddock's seeming unwillingness to debate.

I would love to see a debate between Paulette and Will. I think it will be a great way for people to see what both candidates have to offer.

Are you one of the Republicans that went to Avery's event last evening? The Commission Chairs did not meet in a debate in the last election and it did not seem to matter.

So we elect someone who has no grasp of the issues whatsoever because she has an R after her name and will do exactly what the Republicans tell her to do? How is that voting for the most qualified candidate? Sounds to me like you're more concerned with keeping the Republicans in power and getting those bond sales than you are with doing the right thing. To each his own, I guess.

Amen. Frankly, if you are just voting for someone because of their purported relative influence based upon nothing more than simple conjecture then, IMHO, your priorities are horribly skewed. If you truly think that Paulette will deliver more for Paulding County (jobs, water, transportation, education, etc.), then by all means, vote Paulette. If you REALLY think that Paulette would have a single iota more influence than Will would, then you have not been in politics or government in the least. If we were talking about Will Avery vs. Entrenched Incumbent, yes, you would have a fair argument there. However you are talking Freshman v. Freshman, and frankly, it is my opinion that Will is the far more articulate, informed, and well-prioritized candidate of the two. If you really think that the GOP Caucus will embrace Paulette, listen to her, and elevate her to a leadership position, then perhaps a debate is exactly what you need to hear. Look at who is in leadership in both parties...there's good reason why they are there, more likely than not.

Would I expect the GOP to invite Will out to High Tea? No. Would I expect them to love him? No, not really. But I have seen Nan Orrock (one of the more liberal Senators out there) walk into Casey Cagle's office (while I was in there, mind you) to chat with Cagle. There is some bipartisanship there.

I've really missed you!

Are you one of the Republicans that went to Avery's event last evening? The Commission Chairs did not meet in a debate in the last election and it did not seem to matter.

They were all invited to meet and discuss the issues here on P.com four did have a round table discussion Barnett,Pownall,Graham, And Gregory

None of the candidates that refused to participate got elected.

You know that statement says so much.

I think all of Ga. should vote in freshman.

We elect people to represent us, not to follow the leadership up there.

I don't want anyone in office that has had the way paved by those that believe they will get along and go along with the "leadership".

It seems like a threat, if you don't vote for the chosen one your district and the people in it are screwed because we won't give them a voice.

I am not denying that you are telling the truth, but I believe that this is what is wrong with this country, we are not truly represented.

I have been around the capital since I was a kid. Since Ben Fortson was Secretary of State. What I know is that while a freshman rep is not likely to be recognized as someone that the others flock to for advice, if an idiot is put in the position we will be four years away from being represented instead of two.

Hey, I don't usually say I TOLD YOU SO, but your boy Glenn was just as damn sorry as I told you he was. Your opinion really doesn't carry much weight around here any longer. Seems that you put all your eggs in the philanderer's basket.

• Like 1

Let's see the two canidates go toe to toe. I think the intelligent choice will be obvious.

Quite honestly, I really don't care if you don't think my opinion doesn't holds any weight.

I have been around the capital since I was a kid. Since Ben Fortson was Secretary of State. What I know is that while a freshman rep is not likely to be recognized as someone that the others flock to for advice, if an idiot is put in the position we will be four years away from being represented instead of two.

Hey, I don't usually say I TOLD YOU SO, but your boy Glenn was just as damn sorry as I told you he was. Your opinion really doesn't carry much weight around here any longer. Seems that you put all your eggs in the philanderer's basket.

Go to the bills introduced by Sen Heath, and Rep Maxwell, and just see what they introduced or really what they did not and they have been in a while. Yes, Will would be a freshman person, but might try to do something. I had rather him try and get the door shut until he gets exposure. A debate, would be great...the bottom line is she knows he will kick her out of the room because he can answer a question. It is not R or D...it is the person.

'

TwoKidCircus

Why don't you start by asking what Paulette's voting record has been during her time on the school board??? I think it has been posted on here?

omg.gif It is time for the two to meet and discus the issues!!!!

No, I did not attend that event. And I believe that the commission chairs could have also benefitted from a debate. I am not an Avery supporter. I just believe in a healthy debate and do not see why someone would not be willing to partake unless they have something to hide. Paulette is a well spoken woman, she should do well in a debate.

• Like 1