Paulding.com

More Embarrassment

Speaking of which, where is REPUBLICAN REGAN?

I guess after his BOC appearance Tuesday, he tucked his tail and decided to lay low for awhile. He DEMANDED the BOC vote down the tax increase and change the budget, and DEMANDED they acknowledge they were wrong in how they presented both the budget and the millage increase. The BOC, and county attorney tried to explain why they did what they did and it made perfect rational logical sense. But old RR kept on kicking that dead horse.

And then with both his BOC Post candidates losing [not to mention the details in "that other thread"] in the run-offs, that whole local GOP group has gone to lick their wounds and regroup.

Rest assured, he will be back. Like chewing gum on your shoe sole, he will be back.ninja.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This whole country, all of us, inherited a huge economic meltdown that was caused and was accelerating before Obama was even a senator. And, unless truth means nothing, remember that unemployment cont

Naturegirl The bolded statement has no truth or merit whatsoever and you know it. At least try and use the truth if you are going to bash someone. You have bashed the stimulus since day one, Yet you f

Consistently ignoring reality won't change it. You conveniently forget that I do support smart conservatives. Often they are Republican, sometimes Democrat. There are many people who confuse rhetoric

It took both parties to get us here, it's going to take total bi-partisanship to get us out. We are becoming more and more divided every day when we should be coming together as Americans, not as Repubs or Dems. Our elected officials are eating lobster while we are losing our homes. Government employees make more than their counterparts in the private sector. Stimulus jobs are requiring Union wages. The Unions are taking over the jobs market and no one can afford to pay Union wages.

Everyone is suffering, not just the Dems or Repubs. It's time to remind these people they work for us, they spend and earn the money we give them. They need to do what's best for the country, not the lobbyists and Unions.

We the people need to take back our government and quit letting them divide us. Only we can make it work, obviously they have no idea. We are not pack animals, we have reasoning abilities even though our government doesn't think so.

This is the second post today that you have laid partial blame of the problems we are facing today on Unions, and in my opinion you are dead wrong on this issue.

You state

Stimulus jobs are requiring Union wages. The Unions are taking over the jobs market and no one can afford to pay Union wages.

The Unions by no stretch of the imagination are taking over the job market. Union workers in the United States represent approximately 10% of the work force. I do not know of any business in Paulding County that has Union representation, Do you???

I can guarantee you this, I have seen several stimulus programs around here and they certainly was not awarded to Union shops, here is my challenge to you name some stimulus jobs in the state of Georgia that required union wages???????

Almost 2 Billion dollars were awarded to the State Board of Education, that was divided up among various school districts throughout the State, Paulding County received over 11 million last year that prevented the layoffs last year that we experienced this year, And none of those dollars were spent on union wages, And the School District is the biggest employer in Paulding County.

Families cannot live on minimum wage salaries, even when both spouses work, that is a plain and simple fact that is what we basically have here in Paulding County.

It took both parties to get us here, it's going to take total bi-partisanship to get us out. We are becoming more and more divided every day when we should be coming together as Americans, not as Repubs or Dems. Our elected officials are eating lobster while we are losing our homes. Government employees make more than their counterparts in the private sector. Stimulus jobs are requiring Union wages. The Unions are taking over the jobs market and no one can afford to pay Union wages.

Everyone is suffering, not just the Dems or Repubs. It's time to remind these people they work for us, they spend and earn the money we give them. They need to do what's best for the country, not the lobbyists and Unions.

We the people need to take back our government and quit letting them divide us. Only we can make it work, obviously they have no idea. We are not pack animals, we have reasoning abilities even though our government doesn't think so.

I can understand the issue regarding unions and their wallowing up to the trough ahead of others. We absolutely have to make room for more folks and getting benefits distributed more widely is a point that I'm with you on.

However, what I'm seeing on the GOP side is more than just saying NO to things from unemployment to expansion of things like peach care but rather - and this began almost with Obama's inauguration - resistance and rhetoric that seemed to have as its sole purpose, the maximum tanking of the economy so that GOP would have the best chance possible in the 2010 midterms.

The issue, though, is that we may be talking us off the cliff.

For a bit more positive view of the economic scene, consider this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2oxyyju4GU

Bottom line, in many ways we may be shooting ourselves in the foot, which according to the folks at Fisher Investments, is something we tend to do when coming out of bear markets. I would posit that the effort to discredit the Obama administration from the get go is just compounding this negativity and is party responsible for Georgia as a whole trailing in what recovery has occured.

This is not to say that there are things that should be discussed but rather the issues that are there on the periphery like the birthers criticisms for one, or the bald-faced lies that health care reform (considering it mirrored most GOP plans including that of Mitt Romney) are designed solely to destroy confidence, are as damaging as they are groundless.

The point is that we are adults and we know there are differences and these we need to discuss. But to throw in gross exaggeration and lies designed to destroy confidence on top of legitimate differences is absurd.

Even the complaints regarding the local commission's decision to cut back on the natural cut in taxes, knowing that the fall in valuations will likely continue (with the additional property tax cuts that implies) knowing doing nothing, while feasible this year, would force a tax increase during an election year, is asking the elected commissioners to commit electoral suicide in 2012.

I'd ask them to submit to a psychological evaluation if they didn't do what they did.

pubby

This is the second post today that you have laid partial blame of the problems we are facing today on Unions, and in my opinion you are dead wrong on this issue.

You state

The Unions by no stretch of the imagination are taking over the job market. Union workers in the United States represent approximately 10% of the work force. I do not know of any business in Paulding County that has Union representation, Do you???

I can guarantee you this, I have seen several stimulus programs around here and they certainly was not awarded to Union shops, here is my challenge to you name some stimulus jobs in the state of Georgia that required union wages???????

Almost 2 Billion dollars were awarded to the State Board of Education, that was divided up among various school districts throughout the State, Paulding County received over 11 million last year that prevented the layoffs last year that we experienced this year, And none of those dollars were spent on union wages, And the School District is the biggest employer in Paulding County.

Families cannot live on minimum wage salaries, even when both spouses work, that is a plain and simple fact that is what we basically have here in Paulding County.

Every stimulus job requires Union wages be paid. Ever heard of Davis-Bacon Act?? Guess what prevailing wage is, tada it's Union wage. :glare:

Look here

and here

and here

Would you like some more??

Every stimulus job requires Union wages be paid. Ever heard of Davis-Bacon Act?? Guess what prevailing wage is, tada it's Union wage. :glare:

Look here

and here

and here

Would you like some more??

Well guess what...... Prevailing wages is not union wages ta da, Did you even take the opportunity to read the links that you posted?

The stimulus “is the perfect example of why you need Davis-Bacon,” Eisenbray said. “If you didn’t have it, the contractors bidding for all this federal money could undercut prevailing wages in any given area by 20-30 percent, and they could get the contract and bring down wages in that area.”

The 1931 law, written by Sen. James Davis (R-Pa.), who had served as secretary of labor in the 1920s, and Rep. Robert Bacon (R-N.Y.), guaranteed “prevailing wages” as a way of protecting workers in a time of rapidly growing unemployment and government involvement in the economy. It was signed into law by President Herbert Hoover and has rankled free-market conservatives ever since

I am sure that you can see, And understand that when this law was written in 1931, Their was very little if any organized labor unions in this Country, And most assurdedly none in the state of Georgia, It is also significant to note That a Republican President (Hoover) Also signed it into law.

The intent of the law is clear, No where does the law say Union wages is prevailing wages. GOOD GRIEF SHAKING HEAD IN DIBELIEF

BTW I am 80% sure that the first organized work force in the State of Georgia was the Chevrolet plant in Atlanta around 1937, You may be able to come up with a few more that is why I said 80% sure. lets stick with facts okay???

Well guess what...... Prevailing wages is not union wages ta da, Did you even take the opportunity to read the links that you posted?

The stimulus “is the perfect example of why you need Davis-Bacon,” Eisenbray said. “If you didn’t have it, the contractors bidding for all this federal money could undercut prevailing wages in any given area by 20-30 percent, and they could get the contract and bring down wages in that area.”

The 1931 law, written by Sen. James Davis (R-Pa.), who had served as secretary of labor in the 1920s, and Rep. Robert Bacon (R-N.Y.), guaranteed “prevailing wages” as a way of protecting workers in a time of rapidly growing unemployment and government involvement in the economy. It was signed into law by President Herbert Hoover and has rankled free-market conservatives ever since

I am sure that you can see, And understand that when this law was written in 1931, Their was very little if any organized labor unions in this Country, And most assurdedly none in the state of Georgia, It is also significant to note That a Republican President (Hoover) Also signed it into law.

The intent of the law is clear, No where does the law say Union wages is prevailing wages. GOOD GRIEF SHAKING HEAD IN DIBELIEF

BTW I am 80% sure that the first organized work force in the State of Georgia was the Chevrolet plant in Atlanta around 1937, You may be able to come up with a few more that is why I said 80% sure. lets stick with facts okay???

We have been in business in Georgia for 20 years, I assure you no worker in our trade makes any where near the wages set by Davis-Bacon. The wages are set by Unions, not regular wages. In addition to hourly wages, we are required to pay about 25% in fringe benefits as well. Instead of making these stimulus projects affordable, they are paying as much as 30% more than regular wages. So the government is paying more for the exact same work we could normally do much cheaper.

We're working on a stimulus project now. ;)

We have been in business in Georgia for 20 years, I assure you no worker in our trade makes any where near the wages set by Davis-Bacon. The wages are set by Unions, not regular wages. In addition to hourly wages, we are required to pay about 25% in fringe benefits as well. Instead of making these stimulus projects affordable, they are paying as much as 30% more than regular wages. So the government is paying more for the exact same work we could normally do much cheaper.

Nature girl I have done some research while I was waiting for you to respond and i will have to admit that I was wrong on parts of my post, I was also correct on parts of my post also....Davis Bacon only requires prevailing wages.... If sheetrock is being hung in Paulding County for say .50 per square foot then that is the prevailing rate for paulding county, No union has set that rate the market has set that rate. On the flip side of this if sheetrock is hung on a major construction job on a highrise in Atlanta at .75 per square foot then that is the prevailing rate in that area, And if you elect to go into that market you would have to pay the higher rate, If you were making money from a stimulus project,Large major construction companies do use a lot of organized workers,As a result the rates would be higher there. If times were good I suppose you could get all the work you wanted right here in Paulding County. The free market sets the wages not unions as you contend.

I will bet you the best steak in the metro area that the stimulus jobs granted to paulding and polk county paid no where near the union scale that would be received for the same work in atlanta. Prevailing wage and union wages are apples and oranges.

The prevailing wages in Paulding County were driven way down the past several years. WHY.....Because you had a group of people mainly Mexican some of which were illegal that were willing to do most of the work on new homes at a lower wage than the was being paid to life long Paulding residents, And employers took advantage of this lower wages!!!!

I too am a general contractor and have a hard time bidding on stimulus jobs, you do have to use the Davis bacon wage rate, certify your payroll, and have heavy bonds. All this adds up to an additional 40% or more in added cost to the job which takes away from the tax payers. On the flip side every bidder has to use the same rates and rules and pay his employees better which should put to Americans to work and not illegals.

I think the wage rates are way too low after coming out of our booming construction period; example is (I got paid over $3.00 per foot under roof plus extras to frame in the 80's and now it pays $2.25 per foot of living space only and no extras). all construction trades are cut down to bare minimum due to in the good times we were making it up on volume and lower wages to illegals.

There needs to better balance in this but unions is not the answer and using cheap labor hurts everyone but the ones on top.

I too am a general contractor and have a hard time bidding on stimulus jobs, you do have to use the Davis bacon wage rate, certify your payroll, and have heavy bonds. All this adds up to an additional 40% or more in added cost to the job which takes away from the tax payers. On the flip side every bidder has to use the same rates and rules and pay his employees better which should put to Americans to work and not illegals.

I think the wage rates are way too low after coming out of our booming construction period; example is (I got paid over $3.00 per foot under roof plus extras to frame in the 80's and now it pays $2.25 per foot of living space only and no extras). all construction trades are cut down to bare minimum due to in the good times we were making it up on volume and lower wages to illegals.

There needs to better balance in this but unions is not the answer and using cheap labor hurts everyone but the ones on top.

:good:

That's not true in my case. Most of our employees make more than the DBA wage. I like it because it levels the playing field with my competition that uses cheap, mostly Hispanic, labor.

That's not true in my case. Most of our employees make more than the DBA wage. I like it because it levels the playing field with my competition that uses cheap, mostly Hispanic, labor.

I'm glad you can compete in your market. We can't in ours. We are actually losing money on this project, we just need to keep our help busy. Oh and we had to lay of two more workers to afford the extra costs.

If we continue on this road, every company that does government work will have to be unionized. Are you ready for that? The president has already signed an executive order requiring that. ;)

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

I'm glad you can compete in your market. We can't in ours. We are actually losing money on this project, we just need to keep our help busy. Oh and we had to lay of two more workers to afford the extra costs.

If we continue on this road, every company that does government work will have to be unionized. Are you ready for that? The president has already signed an executive order requiring that. ;)

We were union for many years. Some news that I got yesterday that you might be interested in, our insurance company added a clause in our renewal telling us that we can not do any work associated with EIFS or EFS. I thought that was all behind us.

We were union for many years. Some news that I got yesterday that you might be interested in, our insurance company added a clause in our renewal telling us that we can not do any work associated with EIFS or EFS. I thought that was all behind us.

EIFS exclusions have been around for about 10 years, you probably had them before but the insurance company didn't notify you. Not to worry, we haven't had any substantial EIFS work for about 2 years. We've carried the coverage, last year it cost well over $50,000.00. We're not even going to try to pick it up this year at renewal (can't afford to). Too bad, it's a great system and insulates houses very, very well when installed properly. Oh, we haven't done any residential for about 10 years.

Boy am I glad I got out when I did and sold off the manufacturing part of our business.

I guess we were fools at the time though. The lowest paid employees were our High School part time help, and I believe the last ones in 2002 made $10 and hour plus some benefits.

Our assemblers and other semi-skilled plant workers were at $15 to $20, and lots of benefits.

The welders and machinists made $20 to $30 and the office help basically started at salaries of $25k+ per year.

We gave vacations, paid holidays, and paid all medical insurance after 1 year of work.

And you guys are arguing over: "have to be paid at least as much workers on similar projects in the same area"

No one else in Paulding paid their workers what we did. And we did so because it took awhile to train them to what we needed done, and we realized once trained they were an asset and we wanted to keep them.

I guess we were just stupid progressives employers. We had a core group of 10-12 who were there almost the entire 14 years we were operation in Paulding. And as we "down sized" for 2 years prior to shutting it down, we found jobs for everyone who hung in there with us. When it came time to lay them off, they had a choice of several jobs to take at more money, although maybe not as many benefits.

But I am sorry, I have no problem with "have to be paid at least as much workers on similar projects in the same area".

Boy am I glad I got out when I did and sold off the manufacturing part of our business.

I guess we were fools at the time though. The lowest paid employees were our High School part time help, and I believe the last ones in 2002 made $10 and hour plus some benefits.

Our assemblers and other semi-skilled plant workers were at $15 to $20, and lots of benefits.

The welders and machinists made $20 to $30 and the office help basically started at salaries of $25k+ per year.

We gave vacations, paid holidays, and paid all medical insurance after 1 year of work.

And you guys are arguing over: "have to be paid at least as much workers on similar projects in the same area"

No one else in Paulding paid their workers what we did. And we did so because it took awhile to train them to what we needed done, and we realized once trained they were an asset and we wanted to keep them.

I guess we were just stupid progressives employers. We had a core group of 10-12 who were there almost the entire 14 years we were operation in Paulding. And as we "down sized" for 2 years prior to shutting it down, we found jobs for everyone who hung in there with us. When it came time to lay them off, they had a choice of several jobs to take at more money, although maybe not as many benefits.

But I am sorry, I have no problem with "have to be paid at least as much workers on similar projects in the same area".

Ummm, the Davis Bacon wages set are not normal wages for some trades, they are well over and above the average wage. When the federal government sets wages on a project how can they accept the most cost effective bid?? When you have to lay off employees to afford the work, something is wrong. BTW, not one, none of our employees make $10.00 per hour. It is much more than that. The least paid employee makes $14.00 per hour. ;) (that includes office and warehouse personnel) Oh, and they only have to be on our payroll 6 months to get health insurance and paid holidays, vacations, etc. 3 months if they are salary. ;)

Naturegirl The bolded statement has no truth or merit whatsoever and you know it. At least try and use the truth if you are going to bash someone. You have bashed the stimulus since day one, Yet you fall all over yourself trying to get some of the work, And then you bash it some more after you get the jobs beacause you do not want to comply with a law passed in 1931 GOOD GRIEF GET A LIFE,If you do not want to pay the prevailing wages, Don't bid the jobs pretty simple, maybe some of your employees can get on with a company that has no problems paying the prevailing wages, Again the unions have nothing to do this, Your workers do not have to join a union in order for you to bid this work

• Like 2

Naturegirl The bolded statement has no truth or merit whatsoever and you know it. At least try and use the truth if you are going to bash someone. You have bashed the stimulus since day one, Yet you fall all over yourself trying to get some of the work, And then you bash it some more after you get the jobs beacause you do not want to comply with a law passed in 1931 GOOD GRIEF GET A LIFE,If you do not want to pay the prevailing wages, Don't bid the jobs pretty simple, maybe some of your employees can get on with a company that has no problems paying the prevailing wages, Again the unions have nothing to do this, Your workers do not have to join a union in order for you to bid this work

Whitey if we didn't go after some work, we'd shut down. So you're OK with the way things are going and it's OK to lay everyone off? We're one of the few companies that actually pay taxes in Paulding County. How about you walk a mile in my shoes then tell me to get a life...........:wacko:

Just keep hootin' and hollarin', you make Paulding proud. :ninja:

I guess you didn't read all of my links. How about this one??

<snip>

Here's what happens. Unskilled construction workers possess one clear advantage over their skilled, unionized competitors: They're willing to work for less money. But Davis-Bacon destroys that advantage. After all, why would contractors working on a federal project hire any unskilled workers when the government forces them to pay all of their workers what amounts to a union wage? Contractors make the rational choice and get their money's worth by hiring skilled unionized labor even when the project calls for much less.

Davis-Bacon is a blatant piece of special-interest, pro-union legislation. It hasn't come cheap for taxpayers. According to research by Suffolk University economists, Davis-Bacon has raised the construction wages on federal projects 22 percent above the market rate.

<snip>

More recently, the Obama administration extended Davis-Bacon via the American Recovery and Reinvestment of Act of 2009, also known as the stimulus bill. According to an All-Agency Memorandum issued by the Department of Labor, Davis-Bacon now applies to all "projects funded directly by or assisted in whole or in part by and through the Federal Government."

In other words, even projects that are only partially funded by the stimulus must obey the costly pro-union requirements of Davis-Bacon. With the economy floundering and the government apparently set on another New Deal-style construction spree, the last thing taxpayers needed were rules that force stimulus projects to cost even more.

In sum, we have a law that drives up the costs of federal projects, hurts unskilled workers, unfairly advantages organized labor, and has explicitly racist roots. It's time for Davis-Bacon to go.

My link

Whitey if we didn't go after some work, we'd shut down. So you're OK with the way things are going and it's OK to lay everyone off? We're one of the few companies that actually pay taxes in Paulding County. How about you walk a mile in my shoes then tell me to get a life...........:wacko:

NatureGirl I am merely pointing out thatt you are not telling the truth and you know that, There has been millions of dollars of stimulus dollars paid right here in Paulding County, No one was required to pay Union Wages for those jobs, They merely paid the prevailing rate, And you know that to be a fact.

First you claim in other threads that the stimulus is not creating jobs, And you and some others bash everyone that voted for it.

Then you fall all over yourself trying to get some of the jobs that the stimulus has created WTH!!!!!

I guess you didn't read all of my links. How about this one??

<snip>

<snip>

My link

Yes I did read them the one that I zeroed in on was the law, And what adminstration passed that law and the reason that law was passed and the political party that actually passed that law, The other links are opinions with no basis of facts that you are contending. DID YOU READ THE LAW?

NatureGirl I am merely pointing out thatt you are not telling the truth and you know that, There has been millions of dollars of stimulus dollars paid right here in Paulding County, No one was required to pay Union Wages for those jobs, They merely paid the prevailing rate, And you know that to be a fact.

First you claim in other threads that the stimulus is not creating jobs, And you and some others bash everyone that voted for it.

Then you fall all over yourself trying to get some of the jobs that the stimulus has created WTH!!!!!

So laying off a couple of guys is creating more jobs?? :unsure:

Yes I did read them the one that I zeroed in on was the law, And what adminstration passed that law and the reason that law was passed and the political party that actually passed that law, The other links are opinions with no basis of facts that you are contending. DID YOU READ THE LAW?

Yep, it was created so black people couldn't get the work because they were unskilled. 1931 was a loooonnnngggg time ago. ;)

It's a sad situation. But, NG I must commend you and your hubby on running a small business. I can tell you are frustrated with the current economy, as well as many others. I must say knowing both of you, you two are damn sure to help out with folks needing employment as best you can. I can tell many stories, but you know what I am talking about. You're based in Paulding, and try the very best to contribute not only to the workforce but as well as the community as well.

And that my friends, I commend you and hubby

It's a sad situation. But, NG I must commend you and your hubby on running a small business. I can tell you are frustrated with the current economy, as well as many others. I must say knowing both of you, you two are damn sure to help out with folks needing employment as best you can. I can tell many stories, but you know what I am talking about. You're based in Paulding, and try the very best to contribute not only to the workforce but as well as the community as well.

Thanks rockster, we try. I keep telling myself doing the right thing will pay off someday. ~sigh~

BTW, we miss you. When you heading back this way for a visit??

So laying off a couple of guys is creating more jobs?? :unsure:

Yep, it was created so black people couldn't get the work because they were unskilled. 1931 was a loooonnnngggg time ago. ;)

Over four billion dollars of stimulus has or will be spent here in the State of Georgia.

Over two Billion has or will be spent on education in the State, With Paulding County getting in excess of eleven million, Name me one teacher that got a raise in order to receive this money either in the County or the state, Neither did any of them have to take a pay cut in order to receive these dollars, Last year over 300 teachers were retained on the job due to the stimulus dollars.This year over 300 were laid off because the dollars ran out, And some have since been rehired due in part to some additional stimulus dollars.

The Paulding County School District is the largest employer in Paulding County, And I can guarantee you that each and everyone of them paid their fair share in State Local And Federal taxes,Most also paid property taxes Just like you and I, SO.............. You are not one of the few employers in this county providing jobs as you contend, There are many thousands of more workers in this County, And a lot of employers that provide jobs and pay taxes just like we do.

If you want the stimulus work then bid the jobs to where you can make a profit by paying the prevailing wages.

Yep!!clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

Over four billion dollars of stimulus has or will be spent here in the State of Georgia.

Over two Billion has or will be spent on education in the State, With Paulding County getting in excess of eleven million, Name me one teacher that got a raise in order to receive this money either in the County or the state, Neither did any of them have to take a pay cut in order to receive these dollars, Last year over 300 teachers were retained on the job due to the stimulus dollars.This year over 300 were laid off because the dollars ran out, And some have since been rehired due in part to some additional stimulus dollars.

The Paulding County School District is the largest employer in Paulding County, And I can guarantee you that each and everyone of them paid their fair share in State Local And Federal taxes,Most also paid property taxes Just like you and I, SO.............. You are not one of the few employers in this county providing jobs as you contend, There are many thousands of more workers in this County, And a lot of employers that provide jobs and pay taxes just like we do.

If you want the stimulus work then bid the jobs to where you can make a profit by paying the prevailing wages.

OK how about you pay my county taxes and I'll pay yours. Deal??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep!!clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

Thanks NJ :wub:

OK how about you pay my county taxes and I'll pay yours. Deal??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks NJ :wub:

Nope I am not wealthy like you are.

You and I have really hy-jacked this thread started by feelip and I apoligize for doing so.this thread is about

It was just another poorly thought out attempt to try to deflect another embarassing moment in the life of the Paulding County Republican Party and it backfired on him.

It is really funny as heck that they all have this dramatic exit from p.com when things don't go their way these days. I guess JMT started a trend. Goodbye cruel p.com.......you guys are going to miss me.

Good grief, man up!

So I will bow out of our discussion.

Sorry feelip

Nope I am not wealthy like you are.

You and I have really hy-jacked this thread started by feelip and I apoligize for doing so.this thread is about

So I will bow out of our discussion.

Sorry feelip

Carry on Whitey. I don't get all anal about sticking to a topic. I like the conversation. You ever had friends over and talked about the same thing all night?

Thanks rockster, we try. I keep telling myself doing the right thing will pay off someday. ~sigh~

BTW, we miss you. When you heading back this way for a visit??

<hijack> Miss ya'll. No plans soon on a PC trip. Time flies as the Holidays will be here b4 we know it. ALTHOUGH, if your pool freezes.....CALL ME.............I need a visual of you falling in zippo temps!!!!! Already have first hand visual rolling off the chair down the hill! :rofl:

Maybe a NYE party??????????

<hijack> Miss ya'll. No plans soon on a PC trip. Time flies as the Holidays will be here b4 we know it. ALTHOUGH, if your pool freezes.....CALL ME.............I need a visual of you falling in zippo temps!!!!! Already have first hand visual rolling off the chair down the hill! :rofl:

Maybe a NYE party??????????

Sounds like a winner, heat the spa, heat the porch. Nichole has moved out, lots of extra room for overnight guests!!

(end hyjack)

EIFS exclusions have been around for about 10 years, you probably had them before but the insurance company didn't notify you. Not to worry, we haven't had any substantial EIFS work for about 2 years. We've carried the coverage, last year it cost well over $50,000.00. We're not even going to try to pick it up this year at renewal (can't afford to). Too bad, it's a great system and insulates houses very, very well when installed properly. Oh, we haven't done any residential for about 10 years.

Oh Feelip, forgot to add, if the system is installed properly and sealants are done properly. ;) Doesn't matter how good the EIFS installer is if the sealant guy stinks, you have a complete system failure. :shok:

Exellent post! I admire naturegirl and her husband also as it is extremely hard running a small business these days under the current economic stresses. Naturegirl and her husband are certainly very valuable assets to our community!

Exellent post! I admire naturegirl and her husband also as it is extremely hard running a small business these days under the current economic stresses. Naturegirl and her husband are certainly very valuable assets to our community!

Thank you, we try and Whitey thinks were rich. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh how I wish. :o

Thank you, we try and Whitey thinks were rich. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh how I wish. :o

Why don't you just tell these good people the truth. You are an evil, rich business owner who is sucking the very life's blood from this county while you laugh all the way to the bank. We are just your minions paying your way on the backs of homeowners. pardon.gif

Oh wait. You are a county homeowner too. wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif

I run a small business and am an employer (for now at least, I could end up being an employer of myself only.)

Health care costs are submarining our economy way more than unions ever have.

Whether you meant to sound haughty or not, you were sort of rubbing it in Whitey's face that you have more than he does.

The truth is, lots of people are struggling. It started long before our most important current (local and national) politicians even ran for the offices they hold now. It really is easy to be frustrated and try to assign blame to current office holders.

We need more pulling together and way less obstructionism.

and, back to topic, she really would be a bad representative for District 19. That is the reason many prominent local and state level republicans are supporting Will Avery.

This whole country, all of us, inherited a huge economic meltdown that was caused and was accelerating before Obama was even a senator. And, unless truth means nothing, remember that unemployment continued to rise for over 2-1/2 years after Saint Ronald the Reagan took office. As a further warning against the dangers of revisionist lies, please note the undeniable reality that Reagan inherited a much stronger economy than Obama did. Obama also inherited 2 wars, one of which never should have happened. Truth matters.

So yes, the financial news, though better than it was when Obama took office, is still not very good. It is really very fact and/or truth lacking to say that Obama or the present congress caused the economic meltdown that was well underway before we even voted in 2006. Are they time travelers?

Actually, when Reagan took office in 1981, the inflation rate was 12.5%, the unemployment rate was around 7%, and interest rates were in the double-digits. A year after Reagan had been in office, the unemployment rate peaked at 9.7%, after which the rate dramatically decreased over the next 8 years to around 5.5% when he left office in 1988. Much of this success is attributed to the Kemp-Roth tax cut enacted in 1981.

When Obama took office, the unemployment rate was around 8%, and interest rates and the inflation rate were very low. The banking crisis was at a tipping point until TARP was passed, which obviously had a very negative impact on the overall economy. Obama publicly stated that unless the stimulus bill was enacted, the unemployment rate would exceed 8%. Democrats gleefully accepted the opportunity to spend almost $1 trillion dollars riding on the popularity of the new President. There was a non-substantive effort to obtain bipartisan support for the bill, which was passed over mostly Republican objection - what "progressives" now pejoratively refer to as the party of No.

After the government has spent billions of dollars and the Obama Administration and Congress promising to raise taxes on those that pay most of the taxes, the unemployment rate hovers at 10% and we are now at a very real risk of a double-dip recession with declining home vales and low consumer confidence.

The economic situation is clearly worse than when Obama took office because of the policies and promises of this Administration and its congressional minions. It's no wonder that Dems will likely lose the House in November and possibly the Senate as well. After seeing the President take vacation after vacation, riding his bicycle and playing golf, I have to wonder whether he's already written off re-election in 2012.

• Like 2

I run a small business and am an employer (for now at least, I could end up being an employer of myself only.)

Health care costs are submarining our economy way more than unions ever have.

Whether you meant to sound haughty or not, you were sort of rubbing it in Whitey's face that you have more than he does.

The truth is, lots of people are struggling. It started long before our most important current (local and national) politicians even ran for the offices they hold now. It really is easy to be frustrated and try to assign blame to current office holders.

We need more pulling together and way less obstructionism.

and, back to topic, she really would be a bad representative for District 19. That is the reason many prominent local and state level republicans are supporting Will Avery.

Why don't you name those prominent local and state level Republicans who are supporting Avery. Better yet I want to hear them do it themselves. I want to remember who they are. Eric Johnson Donated money in support of a Democrat in Cobb County. You might want to see how he fared in the election he just ran in that County. If they are convinced he is the better candidate more power to them. If they are supporting him they should be proud of that support.

Actually, when Reagan took office in 1981, the inflation rate was 12.5%, the unemployment rate was around 7%, and interest rates were in the double-digits. A year after Reagan had been in office, the unemployment rate peaked at 9.7%, after which the rate dramatically decreased over the next 8 years to around 5.5% when he left office in 1988. Much of this success is attributed to the Kemp-Roth tax cut enacted in 1981.

When Obama took office, the unemployment rate was around 8%, and interest rates and the inflation rate were very low. The banking crisis was at a tipping point until TARP was passed, which obviously had a very negative impact on the overall economy. Obama publicly stated that unless the stimulus bill was enacted, the unemployment rate would exceed 8%. Democrats gleefully accepted the opportunity to spend almost $1 trillion dollars riding on the popularity of the new President. There was a non-substantive effort to obtain bipartisan support for the bill, which was passed over mostly Republican objection - what "progressives" now pejoratively refer to as the party of No.

After the government has spent billions of dollars and the Obama Administration and Congress promising to raise taxes on those that pay most of the taxes, the unemployment rate hovers at 10% and we are now at a very real risk of a double-dip recession with declining home vales and low consumer confidence.

The economic situation is clearly worse than when Obama took office because of the policies and promises of this Administration and its congressional minions. It's no wonder that Dems will likely lose the House in November and possibly the Senate as well. After seeing the President take vacation after vacation, riding his bicycle and playing golf, I have to wonder whether he's already written off re-election in 2012.

Unemployment peaked at slightly less than 10 percent (about what it is now) while Reagan (his term must have been about 10 or 11 years acoording to your reckoning since he did all this magic and then did 8 more years of stuff after the first 2.5 years) was in office. It rose to and stayed at barely less than 10 percent until the summer of 1983, about 2-1/2 years after he took office. That is history not open to much interpretation. Yes, inflation was much higher then than now. The folks with the fake recent deficit religion aren't facing that deflation is probably more dangerous to us now. The only thing that can bring us out of this slump is our work force going back to work and not at slave wages. It is truly terrible that the deficit kings Reagan, Bush and Bush blew the money we need now to jump start our economy.

When Reagan took office, we had by a wide margin the largest car manufacturing industry on earth. We had the healthiest manufacturing base in general. The economy then, though bad, was so much better than what Obama inherited that people were better off then EVEN WITH inflation at 12.5% per annum. It was much more likely that one earner could support the whole family then. The average maximum pay ratio between the highest paid executive in large corporations was about 40 to 1. Today it is between 1000-1100 to 1. That is unprecedented here since 1929 and is found nowhere else on earth in any capitalist economy.

And as a business owner and employer, I know for fact that things started getting bad economically for us before the election in 2006. The bad was well on its way way before the most recent crop of new reps and senators started their terms in 2007. Again, it is just history.

And don't give me the revisionist dogma that Reagan didn't like Keynesian economics. He loved using deficits to stimulate the economy. He just forgot the last phase of Keynesian economics, you know, the part where after you have gotten the ball rolling again, you do the competent adult thing and you start paying down the debt.

That is why Reagan, Bush1 and Bush2 (more a Reagan administration than Reagan's) still stand as the ONLY PRESIDENTS SINCE WW2 THAT FAILED TO LOWER THE GROSS DEBT DURING THEIR PRESIDENCIES. George H.W. Bush was 100% right when he coined the term to describe Reagonomics. Remeber that? Voo-doo economics?

Again, just history.

So unless you seriously want to prove that the folks nearly in charge today actually traveled back in time, it is IMPOSSIBLE that Obama or the Congress we have now tanked our great economy. It actually took the actions of several administrations and congresses to bring us to the crap storm that started in 2006 and was rapidly accelerating before we voted in 2008. And yes, even though most of it happened under Republicans, some of it happened under Clinton.

If you find yourself in that revisionist mood again, grab an almanac and look at how many banks failed in the 12 years beginning one year after Reagan took office. Or, start 2 or 3 years after he took office to be more than fair. According to Saint Ronald himself, the bad economy during his term was the fault of those who came before him. He said so way longer into his first term than we are into Obama's.

Obama did not cause the economy we are living in. He simply has the unenviable task of trying to clean up after some really messy people that came before him. That is unless that time travel thing is a real possibility.

Another question, if the tax cuts that have been in place for 9 years will save us, how do you explain the present situation? And would taxes for the very wealthy really be too high if we put them back to way less than half what they were at any time when we actually had great prosperity and were building and maintaining the foundation for a better future? Like say, under Eisenhower? Kennedy? Johnson? Did you know that in 1951 an earner had to make $400,000 per year to get to the maximum tax bracket? You could buy 5,000 new cars with that salary! The maximum tax rate could be reached at $82,500 beginning under Bush1.

I believe we should have tax (payroll and income) exemption on the first $20,000 of income, slightly lower taxes on individual incomes up to $250,000, and fair somewhat higher taxes progressing above that. The most successful capitalist on the planet has similar thoughts. One thing is for sure, the very highest echelon of income earners has never in any prosperous modern times ever had their taxes as low as they are now.

Edited by Well Read

Unemployment peaked at slightly less than 10 percent (about what it is now) while Reagan (his term must have been about 10 or 11 years acoording to your reckoning since he did all this magic and then did 8 more years of stuff after the first 2.5 years) was in office. It rose to and stayed at barely less than 10 percent until the summer of 1983, about 2-1/2 years after he took office. That is history not open to much interpretation. Yes, inflation was much higher then than now. The folks with the fake recent deficit religion aren't facing that deflation is probably more dangerous to us now. The only thing that can bring us out of this slump is our work force going back to work and not at slave wages. It is truly terrible that the deficit kings Reagan, Bush and Bush blew the money we need now to jump start our economy.

When Reagan took office, we had by a wide margin the largest car manufacturing industry on earth. We had the healthiest manufacturing base in general. The economy then, though bad, was so much better than what Obama inherited that people were better off then EVEN WITH inflation at 12.5% per annum. It was much more likely that one earner could support the whole family then. The average maximum pay ratio between the highest paid executive in large corporations was about 40 to 1. Today it is between 1000-1100 to 1. That is unprecedented here since 1929 and is found nowhere else on earth in any capitalist economy.

And as a business owner and employer, I know for fact that things started getting bad economically for us before the election in 2006. The bad was well on its way way before the most recent crop of new reps and senators started their terms in 2007. Again, it is just history.

And don't give me the revisionist dogma that Reagan didn't like Keynesian economics. He loved using deficits to stimulate the economy. He just forgot the last phase of Keynesian economics, you know, the part where after you have gotten the ball rolling again, you do the competent adult thing and you start paying down the debt.

That is why Reagan, Bush1 and Bush2 (more a Reagan administration than Reagan's) still stand as the ONLY PRESIDENTS SINCE WW2 THAT FAILED TO LOWER THE GROSS DEBT DURING THEIR PRESIDENCIES. George H.W. Bush was 100% right when he coined the term to describe Reagonomics. Remeber that? Voo-doo economics?

Again, just history.

So unless you seriously want to prove that the folks nearly in charge today actually traveled back in time, it is IMPOSSIBLE that Obama or the Congress we have now tanked our great economy. It actually took the actions of several administrations and congresses to bring us to the crap storm that started in 2006 and was rapidly accelerating before we voted in 2008. And yes, even though most of it happened under Republicans, some of it happened under Clinton.

If you find yourself in that revisionist mood again, grab an almanac and look at how many banks failed in the 12 years beginning one year after Reagan took office. Or, start 2 or 3 years after he took office to be more than fair. According to Saint Ronald himself, the bad economy during his term was the fault of those who came before him. He said so way longer into his first term than we are into Obama's.

Obama did not cause the economy we are living in. He simply has the unenviable task of trying to clean up after some really messy people that came before him. That is unless that time travel thing is a real possibility.

Another question, if the tax cuts that have been in place for 9 years will save us, how do you explain the present situation? And would taxes for the very wealthy really be too high if we put them back to way less than half what they were at any time when we actually had great prosperity and were building and maintaining the foundation for a better future? Like say, under Eisenhower? Kennedy? Johnson? Did you know that in 1951 an earner had to make $400,000 per year to get to the maximum tax bracket? You could buy 5,000 new cars with that salary! The maximum tax rate could be reached at $82,500 beginning under Bush1.

I believe we should have tax (payroll and income) exemption on the first $20,000 of income, slightly lower taxes on individual incomes up to $250,000, and fair somewhat higher taxes progressing above that. The most successful capitalist on the planet has similar thoughts. One thing is for sure, the very highest echelon of income earners has never in any prosperous modern times ever had their taxes as low as they are now.

Same old story from you guys! It is the Republican's and Bush's fault. I have a news flash for you, Obama and the Democrats own this economy that they said they would fix. Bush and the Republicans are not in the majority. Obama and the Democrats are and they have made a mess of it.

Why don't you name those prominent local and state level Republicans who are supporting Avery. Better yet I want to hear them do it themselves. I want to remember who they are. Eric Johnson Donated money in support of a Democrat in Cobb County. You might want to see how he fared in the election he just ran in that County. If they are convinced he is the better candidate more power to them. If they are supporting him they should be proud of that support.

They speak for themselves. Why wouldn't someone vote for the better candidate from either party? I do it every election. I vote for republicans and democrats, sometimes independents, libertarians, etc in other words whoever I've looked into that makes the most sense to me. I do this even though I support mostly (especially in local elections) republicans. I campaign for republicans every election. Will is simply a better prospect. It is that simple. I would vote for him if he ran as a republican.

Why would anyone vote straight ticket no matter how bad a candidate might be? Maybe because they don't like their kids? This country?

They speak for themselves. Why wouldn't someone vote for the better candidate from either party? I do it every election. I vote for republicans and democrats, sometimes independents, libertarians, etc in other words whoever I've looked into that makes the most sense to me. I do this even though I support mostly (especially in local elections) republicans. I campaign for republicans every election. Will is simply a better prospect. It is that simple. I would vote for him if he ran as a republican.

Why would anyone vote straight ticket no matter how bad a candidate might be? Maybe because they don't like their kids? This country?

That may very well be the decision that you have reached. However, there are those of us who disagree with his positions and the positions of the party that he represents. I'm sure he's a likeable and well-educated fella.

• Like 1