• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kenneth

Kenneth

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:23 AM

Have you started planning on how you are going to help your child pay for college? Do you about the different ways to set aside some money for your child to help pay for books and tuition? Do you know the difference between a 529 plan or an UTMA account? Do you know what might be the tax consequences of choosing one of these vehicles?

If you been thinking about these topics, please contact us at 770 439-4430 or email me at kenny@kesfinance.com Visit us at www.kesfinance.com.

Attached Thumbnails

• KES_Logo.png

Kenneth Shanks
www.kesfinance.com

#2 Madea

Madea

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,484 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

How much should be set aside for college? I've yet to find an answer to that question.
And for the record, I am not/will not be in any way responsible for your child in any way, shape or form. You had this child, I did not. And if you get to judge me as a person then I get to judge you as a parent. ~Rockysmom (8/11/10)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson.

Your judgments don't define me, they define you.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

#3 Kenneth

Kenneth

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:03 AM

timestamp='1282826299' post='3244395']
How much should be set aside for college? I've yet to find an answer to that question.

That all depends. First you have to analyze your personal financial situation. We would have to see how much you are taking in versus what is going out. Any surplus can be used for saving for college but first you must have an emergency fund set up (8 months worth of expenses) and insurance in place. Finally you must be putting enough away for your retirement because you can finance college but you cannot finance retirement.

After all that analysis is complete, we can start looking at college savings. We will determine what type of college your child or grandchild would like to go i.e. state or private. We look at the cost of todays prices and forecast that cost to the start date of the child. Since college prices have been growing at a 6% inflation rate, we will use that to determine the future cost of the schooling.

When the cost has been determined and our other major priorities have been met, we will look at the appropriate vehicles to start putting aside for college. Parents will have to remember that they do not have to float the whole bill. That should be the responsibility of the child. As a parent you are there to help not support. You have to think about your retirement first. Remember, there is financing and scholarships available.

I hope this answers your question. If you want to contact me, my email is kenny@kesfinance.com. Visit us at www.kesfinance.com

Attached Thumbnails

• KES_Logo.png

Kenneth Shanks
www.kesfinance.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics