Paulding.com

Paulding County BOC passes millage rate increase

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are setting up another good ole boy system. David's boys will all be voting together, just watch.

Yep - and voted on it so late in the day as to probably not impact too many folk's decisions in the runoff today.

I don't have a Masters in Public Admin, however, how can you raise taxes when people are hurting financially. I don't agree at all with increase, I guess they were not happy with the foreclosure rate

the ones up for re-election will be the no votes is my guess

I don't think any of them are up for re-election.

I heard Powell and Ragsdale voted against.

If they did it will be the first thing either of them ever voted no on.

I don't think any of them are up for re-election.

If they did it will be the first thing either of them ever voted no on.

Powell is leaving. Todd and Beverly are running for that seat. Ragsdale will be up again in 2012 I believe.

I am still trying to understand the reasons behind this millage increase. Hubby on the other hand has said that he agrees with it. He does not like it at all but he understands why it is necessary. He has a Masters in Public Administration and I do value his opinion. I am still trying to decide where I stand on it. huh.gif

• Like 1

I am still trying to understand the reasons behind this millage increase. Hubby on the other hand has said that he agrees with it. He does not like it at all but he understands why it is necessary. He has a Masters in Public Administration and I do value his opinion. I am still trying to decide where I stand on it. huh.gif

I don't have a Masters in Public Admin, however, how can you raise taxes when people are hurting financially. I don't agree at all with increase, I guess they were not happy with the foreclosure rate in Paulding, so lets increase it.........Vote them "BYE" when their time comes up.

• Like 3

Maybe your next tax bill will help you decide :drinks:

Maybe your next tax bill will help you decide drinks.gif

If I understood it correctly the amount may not change that much. There is a lot more to it than appears on the surface. I listened today and I think there were some valid points. I think we should have been informed much earlier. I am not at all happy about the timing of it. Election day for the discussion and vote did not sit well with me.

If I understood it correctly the amount may not change that much. There is a lot more to it than appears on the surface. I listened today and I think there were some valid points. I think we should have been informed much earlier. I am not at all happy about the timing of it. Election day for the discussion and vote did not sit well with me.

Totally Agree, I don't think it set well with a lot of folks.

Supposedly the net effect will be a lower tax bill for most (about 3/4) of property owners in Paulding. Would some of you be happier if there were a lower millage rate on the old higher values that would yield a larger amount due on your next bill? HUH?

So, a lower tax bill is a big tax increase because the millage rate is higher? A biggger tax bill with a lower millage rate would please you? Disingenuous a bit perhaps?

• Like 1

Totally Agree, I don't think it set well with a lot of folks.

It's the same politically timed crap that the last administration did. The only difference is that there's a bunch of folks on this site who are in love the newer guy and hated/still hate the old guy. If this had happened back on King Jerry's watch they would have been howling for blood. From whichever side of the fence you look at it, it is politics the Paulding way. Get used to the fact that you just cant trust your local politicians to be open and honest with you about anything that they think may hurt their chances of getting elected or re-elected. Plan on building a stupid road and you get months of public meetings and information sessions. Plan on raising taxes and you get an 11th hour deal. Another good reason for voter-imposed term limits.

If i understand this correctly... property values on average went down 47%

BOC raises millage rate 14.9%

Our property taxes should be 32.1% Less?

Is this correct??????

I do not think that the average property value went down that much. I know mine was no where near that!

It's the same politically timed crap that the last administration did. The only difference is that there's a bunch of folks on this site who are in love the newer guy and hated/still hate the old guy. If this had happened back on King Jerry's watch they would have been howling for blood. From whichever side of the fence you look at it, it is politics the Paulding way. Get used to the fact that you just cant trust your local politicians to be open and honest with you about anything that they think may hurt their chances of getting elected or re-elected. Plan on building a stupid road and you get months of public meetings and information sessions. Plan on raising taxes and you get an 11th hour deal. Another good reason for voter-imposed term limits.

It's also about the big deal to get SPLOST passed. Go ahead and build those new parks!! We were told, pass SPLOST, pass SPLOST or your taxes will go up. SPLOST passes so what did they do, raise the millage rate anyway. I seriously doubt the next SPLOST will pass, regarless of what it's for. We were lied to, again!!!!!

And yep, it was politically timed. Now the new guys can say, it wasn't me!!!!!

• Like 3

You're only half right. I don't love the new guy, I just hated Shearin so bad that I would have backed anyone that would run against him. But then I have a tendancy to hate theives.

And if this bunch of commissioners fail, I'll be at the front of the line to fire them. Personally, I think they are doing all they can with what they have to work with.

I do not think that the average property value went down that much. I know mine was no where near that!

Subdivision houses took the biggest hit. Houses on acreage held their value a little better.

It's also about the big deal to get SPLOST passed. Go ahead and build those new parks!! We were told, pass SPLOST, pass SPLOST or your taxes will go up. SPLOST passes so what did they do, raise the millage rate anyway. I seriously doubt the next SPLOST will pass, regarless of what it's for. We were lied to, again!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... I'd be angry, but when you're operating at a 9 on a scale of 10 for anger, it's hard to get worked up much. :angry:

LOL NG. Even though I do not at this time have a dog in the fight, those tactics are happening all over. Here in June, New Hanover County folks voted for a sales tax increase, which passed. THE VERY next day by 10am, the BOC decided the math was WAY OFF, and needed to raise the property tax rate. WTF.

Naturegirl, pls clarify something for me that may have been in the SPLOST agenda concerning E911. Guess they need to upgrade certain communication systems...................but aren't us cell phone users getting a surcharge of $1.50/month towards the Paulding E911 system?????

LOL NG. Even though I do not at this time have a dog in the fight, those tactics are happening all over. Here in June, New Hanover County folks voted for a sales tax increase, which passed. THE VERY next day by 10am, the BOC decided the math was WAY OFF, and needed to raise the property tax rate. WTF.

Naturegirl, pls clarify something for me that may have been in the SPLOST agenda concerning E911. Guess they need to upgrade certain communication systems...................but aren't us cell phone users getting a surcharge of $1.50/month towards the Paulding E911 system?????

Hey Rockster. ~~~waving to you~~~ I don't think it's just cell phone users, I think it's all phone users. :o

Hey Rockster. ~~~waving to you~~~ I don't think it's just cell phone users, I think it's all phone users. :o

True, but I believe the surcharge for cell phones came into place maybe about 18 mths ago. Correct me if I am wrong, and excuse me as if I am just using the E911 system as an example, but I thought the E911 center upgraded to new and purdy communication equipment about two or three years ago.....state of the art tech. Soo, not only they want funding from the SPLOST, much less from the general budget, but what do you think the monthly collection revenues from phone users add up to?????

It is public record and you can look it up. My house here in Paulding fell in value a bit of $40,000 this year over last. Rather than talk about the value of my house, you can figure your tax savings by figuring the savings you'll experience based on the decline in property value.

If you do, you'll see that for a lot of folks - me included - the drop in value will result in a substantial decline in property taxes and the difference

I'll simply say that the decrease in property value of my property - about $40,000 - means that taxable value has dropped $16,000.

Consider this math:

1. First, the school portion of the property tax didn't change. I don't remember the exact figure, but with the school bond, I think the school taxes are about 22 mills. Since the school portion didn't change, the decline in valuation means, off the top, I'll be enjoying a tax cut of $350 (approximate $22 x 16 for the school tax).

2. There is a change in the county portion of the tax. The millage rate last year was $10.25 per thousand valuation for the county including bonds. It is increasing to $11.47 per thousand valuation. If the county had not changed the rate, my tax cut this coming year would have been $164.00. Because they changed the rate to 11.47, I'm paying $1.22 more per thousand of valuation so my savings are $1.27 less for each thousand of valuation or $20.32 less savings. So this year my savings are $143.68 instead of $164.00.

3. Of course the millage increase must also be applied to the remaining taxable value of the property. As I'm trying to show the impact of the millage increase generally, I can say that the cost in taxes is roughly $50 per $100,000 fair market value.

4. So, my savings of $143.68 are cut by just a little less than $43.68 so I'm still saving over $100 on the county portion of my property tax bill.

5. Overall, my property tax bill, because of decline in taxable fair market valuation of $40,000, will show a $450+ savings in tax - a $450.00 cut

6. And if that is a tax increase, I want more :)

My experience is the experience of many, if not most Paulding residents.

pubby

PS: Last year my valuation actually went up so I actually did pay more in taxes last year and would have because of the change in valuation. If you check the archives, I didn't mention that, much less complain.

:clapping:

It is public record and you can look it up. My house here in Paulding fell in value a bit of $40,000 this year over last. Rather than talk about the value of my house, you can figure your tax savings by figuring the savings you'll experience based on the decline in property value.

If you do, you'll see that for a lot of folks - me included - the drop in value will result in a substantial decline in property taxes and the difference

I'll simply say that the decrease in property value of my property - about $40,000 - means that taxable value has dropped $16,000.

Consider this math:

1. First, the school portion of the property tax didn't change. I don't remember the exact figure, but with the school bond, I think the school taxes are about 22 mills. Since the school portion didn't change, the decline in valuation means, off the top, I'll be enjoying a tax cut of $350 (approximate $22 x 16 for the school tax).

2. There is a change in the county portion of the tax. The millage rate last year was $10.25 per thousand valuation for the county including bonds. It is increasing to $11.47 per thousand valuation. If the county had not changed the rate, my tax cut this coming year would have been $164.00. Because they changed the rate to 11.47, I'm paying $1.22 more per thousand of valuation so my savings are $1.27 less for each thousand of valuation or $20.32 less savings. So this year my savings are $143.68 instead of $164.00.

3. Of course the millage increase must also be applied to the remaining taxable value of the property. As I'm trying to show the impact of the millage increase generally, I can say that the cost in taxes is roughly $50 per $100,000 fair market value.

4. So, my savings of $143.68 are cut by just a little less than $43.68 so I'm still saving over $100 on the county portion of my property tax bill.

5. Overall, my property tax bill, because of decline in taxable fair market valuation of $40,000, will show a $450+ savings in tax - a $450.00 cut

6. And if that is a tax increase, I want more :)

My experience is the experience of many, if not most Paulding residents.

pubby

PS: Last year my valuation actually went up so I actually did pay more in taxes last year and would have because of the change in valuation. If you check the archives, I didn't mention that, much less complain.

But that isn't the same as the politicians in charge giving you a tax decrease!! The politicians here voted to RAISE YOUR TAXES!!! Saying that you got a tax decrease just because your property value went down is like saying that those who are on unumployment got a tax decrease in their income taxes even after Congress allows the existing tax breaks to expire, which is in fact a tax increase!

Look at it this way. You are going to pay more taxes on your property now than you would have had the bill been calculated at this same time last week. That is an increase.

-PM

Edited by politicalmonster
Guest Hi~ho Silver

I think it could have an effect on the renewal of the BOE ESPLOST or whatever it is called. It will be on the November Ballot. Not sure if they were informed either or if they had any input in this decision.

It will pass in November. All they have to do is play the "it's for the children" guilt trip, threaten to lay off a few teachers and people eat that stuff up.

Again, I say, you never vote yourself a tax increase!

Edited by Hi~ho Silver
  • Like 1

It will pass in November. All they have to do is play the "it's for the children" guilt trip, threaten to lay off a few teachers and people eat that stuff up.

Again, I say, you never, ever vote yourself a tax increase!

Never ever ever never EVER!!!