Paulding.com

14.3% property tax increase

They lower the value of houses so they can raise property taxes and the county gets to keep more money. Most people may not see it as the houses have depreciated so much. Typical politics wouldn't you say??? Like we couldn't see this coming!

That doesn't make any sense.....collect more taxes on a value that is lower???? If taxes are raised and your value is lower then it's pretty much a wash. Values are based on current market values. As of today, all market values stink! What do you think that was caused from????

Well, over inflated sale price of land and homes when the building market was booming, sub prime lenders loaning every Tom, Dick and Harry a mortgage....Its not ALL the counties fault. They are just trying to maintain public services, debt service and maintenance of what is there now.....

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tax and Spend Republicans!        

We all need to oppose a tax increase, but don't throw Todd under the bus. Todd has no vote on the millage rate, but will when and if elected. He's already been ON RECORD as opposing a tax increase. Sp

I could not get the chart to copy and paste, but I didn't know we were raising property taxes...   pauldingpundit.com/author/admin/   August 7, 2010 By Tom Milanese In a few short days, this Tu

Posted Images

WTH???

Is nobody on here capable of differentiating between a tax RATE and the taxes paid???

Saying that you are getting a tax decrease because the VALUE OF YOUR EXISTING PROPERTY WENT DOWN IS RIDICULOUS!!!

That would be like saying someone that bought a smaller house this year got a tax decrease! No they didn't! Their asset base changed!

This is an INCREASE in the TAX RATE! Nobody can dispute that. It is a conscious decision by the politicians to increase how much money the government will take from you.

Look at it this way... If your 2011 tax bill was $1700 last week, and they pass this millage rate increase, then your new tax bill will be $1700 + (millage rate increase). That is a tax increase! (I'm not doing all the math to determine the portion of your tax bill that M&O represent, and add it to the total, you get the point)

-PM

• Like 1

My TAXES will INCREASE from 6.65 mils to 7.60 mils tomorrow...

No, your millage rate will increase, but not your net tax bill. It should go down substantially unless you have some unusual circumstance that caused your assessment to go way up while the majority of the county went down.

Austin's cover letter explains the basic situation. Should we have another "event" similar to the floods last September we would have to deplete the reserve fund below the minimum required by the bond holders. This in turn would increase the amount of interest we have to pay to service those bonds on an annual basis. Is that worth the risk ?

I do not know of ANYONE whose assessment increased over last year, although I have heard some which stayed the same.

But the bottom line from the budget shows how drastically revenue has dropped from 2008, and Austin has done a pretty good job of reducing the overall county budget. Virtually all departments have reduced their workforce substantially from 2008 and 2009 and are reducing them even further for 2010 and projected for 2011. There is not much of anything left to cut out.

And had the SPLOST not have passed, I believe you would be looking at 4 or 5 mills, not the less than 1 mill we are looking at.

No, your millage rate will increase, but not your net tax bill. It should go down substantially unless you have some unusual circumstance that caused your assessment to go way up while the majority of the county went down.

Austin's cover letter explains the basic situation. Should we have another "event" similar to the floods last September we would have to deplete the reserve fund below the minimum required by the bond holders. This in turn would increase the amount of interest we have to pay to service those bonds on an annual basis. Is that worth the risk ?

I do not know of ANYONE whose assessment increased over last year, although I have heard some which stayed the same.

But the bottom line from the budget shows how drastically revenue has dropped from 2008, and Austin has done a pretty good job of reducing the overall county budget. Virtually all departments have reduced their workforce substantially from 2008 and 2009 and are reducing them even further for 2010 and projected for 2011. There is not much of anything left to cut out.

And had the SPLOST not have passed, I believe you would be looking at 4 or 5 mills, not the less than 1 mill we are looking at.

So by that logic, then everyone who got laid off this past year got a tax decrease, right? Even if Congress raises the income tax brackets, they should still be able to say that 9 million people got a tax decrease this past year?

-PM

So by that logic, then everyone who got laid off this past year got a tax decrease, right? Even if Congress raises the income tax brackets, they should still be able to say that 9 million people got a tax decrease this past year?

-PM

A homeowner who owns the same house and property they owned for several years should have a smaller tax bill (the next one) than before or very nearly the same. How is this a big tax increase?

A homeowner who owns the same house and property they owned for several years should have a smaller tax bill (the next one) than before or very nearly the same. How is this a big tax increase?

facts ......a person that owned a piece of property worth $100,000 last year and was valued for a $100,000 again this year woiuld see a increase of less that a dime a day on this years taxes not quite as massive as Regan Republican would have you believe

If the per cent is increased, taxes are increased. If the assessed value is the same or near the same, the per cent would not necessarily equal a dollar decrease. I'll be interested to see what my bill is. My assessment held steady at -1.1%.

facts ......a person that owned a piece of property worth $100,000 last year and was valued for a $100,000 again this year woiuld see a increase of less that a dime a day on this years taxes not quite as massive as Regan Republican would have you believe

See, that little word increase is the kicker. I don't give a rat's patootie if it's only $36.50 (I take your word for it since I don't like numbers and they don't like me)...it's $36.50 I don't have if I have to hand it over to the gooberment on top of what I already hand over.

WTH???

Is nobody on here capable of differentiating between a tax RATE and the taxes paid???

Saying that you are getting a tax decrease because the VALUE OF YOUR EXISTING PROPERTY WENT DOWN IS RIDICULOUS!!!

That would be like saying someone that bought a smaller house this year got a tax decrease! No they didn't! Their asset base changed!

This is an INCREASE in the TAX RATE! Nobody can dispute that. It is a conscious decision by the politicians to increase how much money the government will take from you.

Look at it this way... If your 2011 tax bill was $1700 last week, and they pass this millage rate increase, then your new tax bill will be $1700 + (millage rate increase). That is a tax increase! (I'm not doing all the math to determine the portion of your tax bill that M&O represent, and add it to the total, you get the point)

-PM

Dude. Stop with the logic. You're confusing people. :D

WTH???

-PM

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Fact, that person is currently slated to pay less in taxes this year than if the millage rate increase is passed tomorrow. For what?

-PM

Just FYI

Meeting tomorrow at 10:00 and a good friend of mine will be speaking. He is asking for concerned citizens of the county to turn out to support him if they agree with his points.

This could be very influential, good time for anyone who can to be there.

Just FYI

Meeting tomorrow at 10:00 and a good friend of mine will be speaking. He is asking for concerned citizens of the county to turn out to support him if they agree with his points.

Location ???

BS. It's a damn increase in the rate that will go straight into the general fund. Austin is full of crap if he wants us to believe that the increase is just to cover unforeseen emergencies. I was born at night, but not last night. They just got a renewal of the SPLOST to cover capital improvements. They can wait and come to the voters when they run out of money and tell us exactly what they must cut. SHOW ME THE BUDGET THAT JUSTIFIES THE INCREASE.

• Like 1

Just FYI

How will we know whether we agree with his points until we have heard what he has to say.

Are you going to fill me in, or are you going to risk me showing up? :lol:

Well, over inflated sale price of land and homes when the building market was booming, sub prime lenders loaning every Tom, Dick and Harry a mortgage....Its not ALL the counties fault. They are just trying to maintain public services, debt service and maintenance of what is there now.....

Yeah, it's not like they approved all the building permits or anything.

All he told me was that he will call on them to cut spending instead of increasing taxes.

I've known him for years, so I suspect the conservatives will like what he has to say. He's a local businessman. I bet Feelip knows him, he's in construction.

Unfortunately, I can't be there. I'm working a deadline with zero wiggle room. But I think it would be good for anyone who can to be there.

Yeah, it's not like they approved all the building permits or anything.

There have been virtually no development rezonings in the past 2 years. The thousands of available lots, empty houses, overgrown abandoned subdivisions are the result of King Jerry and company.

All he told me was that he will call on them to cut spending instead of increasing taxes.

I've known him for years, so I suspect the conservatives will like what he has to say. He's a local businessman. I bet Feelip knows him, he's in construction.

Unfortunately, I can't be there. I'm working a deadline with zero wiggle room. But I think it would be good for anyone who can to be there.

Now I have got to go to see who it is. I almost forgot that I was in construction.

Tax and Spend Republicans!

:lol:...I just spit my beer all over the place when I read this one! :lol: :rofl:

Hey Paulding County!

Your Commissioners just voted to raise your property taxes by 14+%.

Anybody want to change their vote? Wonder who voted for it...maybe we can vote them out of office.

Are you saying if we had $1000.00 tax bill last year it will now be $1140.00?

Are you saying if we had $1000.00 tax bill last year it will now be $1140.00?

Apologies, as I know the devil is in the details, and everyone here has already established that the % is the increase in the mill rate - NOT the actual amount you pay in taxes.

Apologies, as I know the devil is in the details, and everyone here has already established that the % is the increase in the mill rate - NOT the actual amount you pay in taxes.

So WTF is your point? :blink:

If there ever has been a group of commissioners that will re-adjust the mill rate when the property values start coming back, this is the group.

Hell, Jerry would just flat out lie about things like how the fire tax would be used. And while some of us were screaming that he would just use the fire tax to replace the FD's portion of the general fund, the good people of Paulding that believed every word the SOB said went to the polls and approved a fire tax.

So I see this situation as a must on the BOC'c part. I just hope they are intelligent enough to adjust the mill rate next year.

If there ever has been a group of commissioners that will re-adjust the mill rate when the property values start coming back, this is the group.

Hell, Jerry would just flat out lie about things like how the fire tax would be used. And while some of us were screaming that he would just use the fire tax to replace the FD's portion of the general fund, the good people of Paulding that believed every word the SOB said went to the polls and approved a fire tax.

So I see this situation as a must on the BOC'c part. I just hope they are intelligent enough to adjust the mill rate next year.

You really believe when property values start to climb the commission will entertain the idea of lowering the millage rate? And when companies take away benefits because the economy is tough, they give them back when things get better too.

Watch the language - and get real.

You really believe when property values start to climb the commission will entertain the idea of lowering the millage rate? And when companies take away benefits because the economy is tough, they give them back when things get better too.

The law requires them to roll back the millage rate if the tax digest goes back up. If they don't roll it back, they have to advertise it as a tax increase and hold the public meetings. Now, the $64 question is "How much will they roll it back ?".

Shearin's BOC would indeed roll back the millage rate every year of his 2 terms, but only by the tiniest fraction. Then they would slap each other on the backs and give congratulations, etc. Problem is the assessment rates were going up 10% and more per year, so even though they "technically" lowered the millage rate, when you got your tax bill it would be 10% higher than last year.

I figure even with the increased millage rate, my tax bill will still go down by more than $300 this year so I am not complaining about the millage increase.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

post-4090-128147238064_thumb.jpg

You can hope in one hand and......well you know the rest.

What I believe is that if Pownall is elected, the group of Austin, Graham and Pownall is more likely to do the right thing than any BOC we have had in recent history.

Language? You mean hell? :huh:

You can hope in one hand and......well you know the rest.

You have to consider that Ausin will be up for re-election in two years. I'm betting it all evens out. And according to Pip, they don't have a choice in the matter.

What I believe is that if Pownall is elected, the group of Austin, Graham and Pownall is more likely to do the right thing than any BOC we have had in recent history.

Language? You mean hell? :huh:

You have to consider that Ausin will be up for re-election in two years. I'm betting it all evens out. And according to Pip, they don't have a choice in the matter.

My feeling is that Austin and Graham along with the new County Administrator has a better direction on where the county needs to go and what needs to be done than any other past Commissioners have. The past guys got to rule during the HIGH good times....these guys have came into play when tough decisions have had to be made and balance a budget with ALOT less money and depression times. You all need to give the current BOC a break....they are just like you and me. At least they have got out there and tried to do something to help this county instead of hiding behind a screen name and Bitch and grip.....Shame on y'all!!!!

Nothing in that post justifies an increase.

Geez Madea, your chasing a rabbit that doesn't exist. If you want to end the confusion, go back a read all the posts leading up to the snippet you took out of one of my sentences.

If you're not interested, I understand totally because neither am I. ;)

My feeling is that Austin and Graham along with the new County Administrator has a better direction on where the county needs to go and what needs to be done than any other past Commissioners have. The past guys got to rule during the HIGH good times....these guys have came into play when tough decisions have had to be made and balance a budget with ALOT less money and depression times. You all need to give the current BOC a break....they are just like you and me. At least they have got out there and tried to do something to help this county instead of hiding behind a screen name and Bitch and grip.....Shame on y'all!!!!

Absolutely! :drinks:

Hey Whitey -

Doesn't it make you wonder where all these Conservative Republicans who are all concerned about tax increases were last year when the Republican led state houses and Republican Governor didn't renew the state property tax break, raising collected taxes on every home in Ga?

Rather than kill the Bass Fishing support and other pork in the state budget, they cut education, and then raised state taxes by $300 on every home to fund their pork.

As I recall, Whitey was about the only one on here complaining about that tax increase the Republican state leadership gave us. Everyone else seem to blow it off. I guess everybody else was OK with it since it wasn't a rate increase. :wacko:

You people amaze me.