Paulding.com

14.3% property tax increase

I could not get the chart to copy and paste, but I didn't know we were raising property taxes...

pauldingpundit.com/author/admin/

August 7, 2010

By Tom Milanese

In a few short days, this Tuesday at 2pm to be exact, our Board of Commissioners will be voting to raise the M & O property tax mill-rate by 14.3%. Let’s take a look at this increase and it’s impact on our Fiscal Year 2011 Budget (dollar amounts are in millions):

The Good: We don’t need to raise the mill-rate! You can see from the chart that even though expenses for FY 2011 will exceed revenues, we still end up with a 31% reserve. This equates to an extra 3.2 million above and beyond the required 25% (12.8 million) reserve. This is accomplished by using the current 2011 FY Budget proposed by Chairman Austin. Not one additional cut would have to be made.

The Bad: The proposed mill-rate increase would raise taxes on every residential property that decreased in value by less than 12.5%. Now I know that this would not effect the majority of citizens in Paulding, however, how many would be impacted? Out of the approximately 60,000 residential properties in Paulding, around 15,000 of them would incur a tax increase on this portion of their tax-bill. That is about 1 in every 4 residential properties having their taxes raised unnecessarily in one of the worst economic years in recent decades.

The Ugly: Why would Chairman David Austin propose raising the mill-rate for FY 2011 even though it is not needed to meet the expenses of FY 2011? Here are a few theories:

1. Raising the mill-rate this year would inflate the excess reserve which could be used to alleviate any need to raise the mill-rate in future years. Meaning, why raise the mill-rate close to the 2012 Commissioner Chair election when you can do it now and get it over with.

2. Raising the mill-rate this year would inflate the excess reserve, put the blame on the two exiting commissioners (Powell and Kirby), and allow Chairman Austin’s two hopeful replacements (Pownall and Barnett) to get a pass on having to raise the mill-rate during their first couple of years.

3. Raising the mill-rate this year would allow Todd Pownall (if elected) to keep his campaign promise of “I am not in favor of a tax increase or millage rate increase. This means as a county we will have to look for creative solutions to accomplish goals, complete tasks, and provide county services.“ By the way, Todd Pownall has already backed away from this promise when given the opportunity on camera to speak against this mill-rate increase. Fast forward to the 25:55 minute mark and you’ll see what I’m talking about. David Barnett also took a pass on opposing this mill-rate increase in the video.

Bottom line folks is that we need to call all 4 of our post commissioners over the next 48 hours and tell them to vote no on this unnecessary tax increase. Also, please come out and support me in speaking out against this tax increase at the Public Hearing on Tuesday, August 10 at 10:00 a.m.

Keep Pressing On!

Edited by PUBBY
  • Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tax and Spend Republicans!        

We all need to oppose a tax increase, but don't throw Todd under the bus. Todd has no vote on the millage rate, but will when and if elected. He's already been ON RECORD as opposing a tax increase. Sp

I could not get the chart to copy and paste, but I didn't know we were raising property taxes...   pauldingpundit.com/author/admin/   August 7, 2010 By Tom Milanese In a few short days, this Tu

Posted Images

We all need to oppose a tax increase, but don't throw Todd under the bus. Todd has no vote on the millage rate, but will when and if elected. He's already been ON RECORD as opposing a tax increase. Spin away, but don't get too dizzy!

• Like 1

August 4, 2010/ Paulding County, GA – Paulding County Commissioners are set to raise the county millage rate for the second time.

The Paulding County Commissioners will be meeting to vote on the millage rate increase at their board meeting on August 10 at 2:00 PM, the same day of the General Election runoff.

The commissioners plan to vote raising the millage rate from 6.65 to 7.6, a 14.3% increase as proposed in their revised 2011 budget.

The original June 1, 2010 budget presented a view that there would be no millage-rate increase but that seems to have changed.

An analyses show that the county’s tax digests of the past five years starting with 2005, the M&O millage rate was 6.50. In 2006, the M&O rose slightly to 6.80, and then fell back to 6.5 in 2007 and 2008.

The county increased the millage in both 2009 and 2010. In 2009, the county raised the M&O to 6.65.

Guest Hi~ho Silver

We all need to oppose a tax increase, but don't throw Todd under the bus. Todd has no vote on the millage rate, but will when and if elected. He's already been ON RECORD as opposing a tax increase. Spin away, but don't get too dizzy!

There has never been a politician run for office that didn't say they would vote for tax increases. They get in, then they all do it. I can't believe people still buy into that.

Paulding County is the only place I have ever seen where they dropped the value of my property, three times in two years, and my taxes go up, way up. It didn't take long for them to do this, two weeks after the SPLOST vote, so I could say I told you so!

I could not get the chart to copy and paste, but I didn't know we were raising property taxes...

pauldingpundit.com/author/admin/

August 7, 2010

By Tom Milanese

In a few short days, this Tuesday at 2pm to be exact, our Board of Commissioners will be voting to raise the M & O property tax mill-rate by 14.3%. Let’s take a look at this increase and it’s impact on our Fiscal Year 2011 Budget (dollar amounts are in millions):

The Good: We don’t need to raise the mill-rate! You can see from the chart that even though expenses for FY 2011 will exceed revenues, we still end up with a 31% reserve. This equates to an extra 3.2 million above and beyond the required 25% (12.8 million) reserve. This is accomplished by using the current 2011 FY Budget proposed by Chairman Austin. Not one additional cut would have to be made.

The Bad: The proposed mill-rate increase would raise taxes on every residential property that decreased in value by less than 12.5%. Now I know that this would not effect the majority of citizens in Paulding, however, how many would be impacted? Out of the approximately 60,000 residential properties in Paulding, around 15,000 of them would incur a tax increase on this portion of their tax-bill. That is about 1 in every 4 residential properties having their taxes raised unnecessarily in one of the worst economic years in recent decades.

The Ugly: Why would Chairman David Austin propose raising the mill-rate for FY 2011 even though it is not needed to meet the expenses of FY 2011? Here are a few theories:

1. Raising the mill-rate this year would inflate the excess reserve which could be used to alleviate any need to raise the mill-rate in future years. Meaning, why raise the mill-rate close to the 2012 Commissioner Chair election when you can do it now and get it over with.

2. Raising the mill-rate this year would inflate the excess reserve, put the blame on the two exiting commissioners (Powell and Kirby), and allow Chairman Austin’s two hopeful replacements (Pownall and Barnett) to get a pass on having to raise the mill-rate during their first couple of years.

3. Raising the mill-rate this year would allow Todd Pownall (if elected) to keep his campaign promise of “I am not in favor of a tax increase or millage rate increase. This means as a county we will have to look for creative solutions to accomplish goals, complete tasks, and provide county services.“ By the way, Todd Pownall has already backed away from this promise when given the opportunity on camera to speak against this mill-rate increase. Fast forward to the 25:55 minute mark and you’ll see what I’m talking about. David Barnett also took a pass on opposing this mill-rate increase in the video.

Bottom line folks is that we need to call all 4 of our post commissioners over the next 48 hours and tell them to vote no on this unnecessary tax increase. Also, please come out and support me in speaking out against this tax increase at the Public Hearing on Tuesday, August 10 at 10:00 a.m.

Keep Pressing On!

I would change the name of the TOPIC to 14.3% "property tax mill-rate increase" to be more accurate.

"Raising the mill-rate this year would allow Todd Pownall (if elected) to keep his campaign promise of “I am not in favor of a tax increase or millage rate increase. This means as a county we will have to look for creative solutions to accomplish goals, complete tasks, and provide county services.“ By the way, Todd Pownall has already backed away from this promise when given the opportunity on camera to speak against this mill-rate increase. Fast forward to the 25:55 minute mark and you’ll see what I’m talking about. David Barnett also took a pass on opposing this mill-rate increase in the video."

Click on link and forward to the 25:55 minute mark to see Todd's response when asked by Pubby for his comments on the the pending mill-rate increase or you can just watch the youtube video below which summarizes his response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFbDNyugmFk

Interesting theory by the OP. Any savvy politician would try to time tax increases to their best benefit. Or at least the least harm done to them. I wouldn't think though that Austin would throw Powell and Ragsdale under the bus, especially as they were so helpful to him in getting elected (especially Powell). But that's just politics and, like Obama, you can't expect Austin not to take advantage of a previous administration or outgoing commissioners as scapegoats. Especially if they are due some blame.

What ticks me off is the timing. Vote for SPLOST or we'll have to raise taxes. SPLOST passes and guess what? They are raising taxes anyway. Tax increases are not decided over morning coffee. The projections and discussion takes some time. So it is obvious that the board knew they were going to raise taxes anyway, but still used a sacare tactic to get SPLOST to pass. All part of a plan- a hidden agenda- that was already in play. It seems as thought they lied to us. :o

But don't worry, soon the whole board may be of the same mind and all singing the same tune, so we'll be able to trust them even more. Then everything really will be decided over morning coffee.......

Interesting theory by the OP. Any savvy politician would try to time tax increases to their best benefit. Or at least the least harm done to them. I wouldn't think though that Austin would throw Powell and Ragsdale under the bus, especially as they were so helpful to him in getting elected (especially Powell). But that's just politics and, like Obama, you can't expect Austin not to take advantage of a previous administration or outgoing commissioners as scapegoats. Especially if they are due some blame.

What ticks me off is the timing. Vote for SPLOST or we'll have to raise taxes. SPLOST passes and guess what? They are raising taxes anyway. Tax increases are not decided over morning coffee. The projections and discussion takes some time. So it is obvious that the board knew they were going to raise taxes anyway, but still used a sacare tactic to get SPLOST to pass. All part of a plan- a hidden agenda- that was already in play. It seems as thought they lied to us. :o

But don't worry, soon the whole board may be of the same mind and all singing the same tune, so we'll be able to trust them even more. Then everything really will be decided over morning coffee.......

No suprise there and another reason NOT to vote for anyone that Austin is backing.

• Like 1

What ticks me off is the timing. Vote for SPLOST or we'll have to raise taxes. SPLOST passes and guess what? They are raising taxes anyway.

If the SPLOST wasn't passed, you wouldn't be looking at just a mil or so of rate increase, it would be more like 4+ mils. The stuff the SPLOST pays for would have had to be purchased one way or another.

Even with the rate increase, my taxes will remain about the same or a little less this year for the county after dropping last year (even if the state ate up the reduction last year). That's a nice change compared to what happened over the 10 years before that.

Austin could have raised rates last year and kept the budget the same, instead, he slashed quite a bit off of it. Now to be honest, I would have preferred that he have made his proposed budget closer to what he had to know reality was. But, we'll see, we have two more years until he's on the ballot again, hopefully it will be clear what his agenda is, giving the people of Paulding the best government for the bucks or not.

If the SPLOST wasn't passed, you wouldn't be looking at just a mil or so of rate increase, it would be more like 4+ mils. The stuff the SPLOST pays for would have had to be purchased one way or another.

Even with the rate increase, my taxes will remain about the same or a little less this year for the county after dropping last year (even if the state ate up the reduction last year). That's a nice change compared to what happened over the 10 years before that.

Austin could have raised rates last year and kept the budget the same, instead, he slashed quite a bit off of it. Now to be honest, I would have preferred that he have made his proposed budget closer to what he had to know reality was. But, we'll see, we have two more years until he's on the ballot again, hopefully it will be clear what his agenda is, giving the people of Paulding the best government for the bucks or not.

This mill-rate increase can not be justified. The chart below clearly shows that the only difference between raising the mill-rate and leaving it alone is the amount of EXCESS reserve that will be acrued for year-end. The mill-rate increase has nothing to do with meeting the needs of this year's budget. You're a smart person SOUND GUY, look at the numbers.

CHART-v1.png

Edited by Reagan Republican

Thank you TSG!

I don't like raising the millage rate, but as you stated, had SPLOST not passed they would have had to got for a triple increase and for me, I will be seeing a substantial reduction over last year. Our assessment was 25% lower.

What I don't get with the Beverly Cochran supporters is they have no problem with her past $65,000 per year salary; $almost $50,000 severance package;p drawing full retirement in the next 24 months; yet we expect our sheriff's deputies, firemen, and all other county workers to take substantial paycuts and furloughs. What ? It just does not jive.

RR's gang of thieves, headed by Shearin and Cochran left us in a financial debaucle. They dropped their back door tax increase for the Taj Mahal court house and green space purchase because they were caught trying to sneak it in with devious tactics in an election year. Soooooo, the incoming administration had no choice but to pass the increase Shearin avoided by robbing the surplus account. Which we are required to maintain to keep a high bond rating [meaning lower interest rates for the bonds].

Now this year, they finally bite the bullet and propose a tax increase several mills less than what the reduction in assessments is taking away from county revenue. What do you want ? More cuts at the Sheriff's office, fire, and overall county services ?

If the projected revenue for this year from the property tax base is 17.5% lower than last year, then they have 2 choices:

Raise the millage rate to compensate

or

Reduce county services accordingly to stop the hemmoraging Shearin left us with.

The BOC proposed this increaste a month ago. SPLOST had not passed, but in reality, County M&O cannot be subsidized by SPLOST; although SPLOST projects can be subsidized by county M&O. So the SPLOST passing means we can move forward with capital projects, but the rest of the county operating and maintenance budget has to either get a millage increase, or be cut more. I don't want to see anymore county personnel getting furloughed and or dismissed. It will not mean an increase to the majority of the county as most everyones' assessment rolled back.

You pay for the services, or agree to let those services go the way of the other extinct items. I want to know the deputy will be there when I need him, AND I want to know the capital projects we need to move forward [financed by SPLOST] are moving forward as well, and all the while basically keeping the taxes a little lower than they were last year.

Thank you TSG!

I don't like raising the millage rate, but as you stated, had SPLOST not passed they would have had to got for a triple increase and for me, I will be seeing a substantial reduction over last year. Our assessment was 25% lower.

What I don't get with the Beverly Cochran supporters is they have no problem with her past $65,000 per year salary; $almost $50,000 severance package;p drawing full retirement in the next 24 months; yet we expect our sheriff's deputies, firemen, and all other county workers to take substantial paycuts and furloughs. What ? It just does not jive.

RR's gang of thieves, headed by Shearin and Cochran left us in a financial debaucle. They dropped their back door tax increase for the Taj Mahal court house and green space purchase because they were caught trying to sneak it in with devious tactics in an election year. Soooooo, the incoming administration had no choice but to pass the increase Shearin avoided by robbing the surplus account. Which we are required to maintain to keep a high bond rating [meaning lower interest rates for the bonds].

Now this year, they finally bite the bullet and propose a tax increase several mills less than what the reduction in assessments is taking away from county revenue. What do you want ? More cuts at the Sheriff's office, fire, and overall county services ?

If the projected revenue for this year from the property tax base is 17.5% lower than last year, then they have 2 choices:

Raise the millage rate to compensate

or

Reduce county services accordingly to stop the hemmoraging Shearin left us with.

The BOC proposed this increaste a month ago. SPLOST had not passed, but in reality, County M&O cannot be subsidized by SPLOST; although SPLOST projects can be subsidized by county M&O. So the SPLOST passing means we can move forward with capital projects, but the rest of the county operating and maintenance budget has to either get a millage increase, or be cut more. I don't want to see anymore county personnel getting furloughed and or dismissed. It will not mean an increase to the majority of the county as most everyones' assessment rolled back.

You pay for the services, or agree to let those services go the way of the other extinct items. I want to know the deputy will be there when I need him, AND I want to know the capital projects we need to move forward [financed by SPLOST] are moving forward as well, and all the while basically keeping the taxes a little lower than they were last year.

Not a lick of sense. Look at the numbers. No mill-rate increase is necessary to pay for the proposed budget nor in order to end up with a 25% reserve. Both can be accomplished without raising the mill-rate. No matter how much someone's property tax went down, the BOC still needs to justify why they are raising the mill-rate and right now the numbers don't add up.

This is the part where I say... "I told you so."

"The proposed mill-rate increase would raise taxes on every residential property that decreased in value by less than 12.5%."

imma hafta go back and find the thread where everyone was bitching about how much their proerty value decreased this year.

here it is

Guest Hi~ho Silver

"The proposed mill-rate increase would raise taxes on every residential property that decreased in value by less than 12.5%."

imma hafta go back and find the thread where everyone was bitching about how much their proerty value decreased this year.

here it is

I never saw that thread, I must have been on my p.com vacation. It would appear that some folks are confused between market value and assessed value. One has nothing to do with the other except how it effects your escrow. I wish they would drop mine a bundle. We expect to take a substantial loss next year when we put the Hiram house on the market. We won't wait any longer for the market to turn, it's not going to happen. Forget the cheese, we want out of trap. Our Paulding taxes are 25% more now than our Chatham taxes on a house worth 80K more.

I never saw that thread, I must have been on my p.com vacation. It would appear that some folks are confused between market value and assessed value. One has nothing to do with the other except how it effects your escrow. I wish they would drop mine a bundle. We expect to take a substantial loss next year when we put the Hiram house on the market. We won't wait any longer for the market to turn, it's not going to happen. Forget the cheese, we want out of trap. Our Paulding taxes are 25% more now than our Chatham taxes on a house worth 80K more.

more importantly, this means that the vast majority of people who posted in that thread will not have their taxes increased by said percentage.

most saw decreases in excess of 12.5%

Guest Hi~ho Silver

more importantly, this means that the vast majority of people who posted in that thread will not have their taxes increased by said percentage.

Last year, I appealed my assessment. The County agreed to drop my assessed value by 30K if I would dismiss the appeal, which I did. They sent me a new bill for the property taxes which was $100 higher than the original amount before the appeal. They are about to pull the same crap again.

Last year, I appealed my assessment. The County agreed to drop my assessed value by 30K if I would dismiss the appeal, which I did. They sent me a new bill for the property taxes which was $100 higher than the original amount before the appeal. They are about to pull the same crap again.

not according to their own words.

Yeppers.

I second that yeppers...I knew they would raise the mil rate even if the splost passed which it did.

They all kill me when they say one thing to get you to vote for something and then wham turn around and do it anyway..

They are all crooks and liers :glare:

They lower the value of houses so they can raise property taxes and the county gets to keep more money. Most people may not see it as the houses have depreciated so much. Typical politics wouldn't you say??? Like we couldn't see this coming!

Correct only about 25% of residential properties falls in that "12.5% decreased in value" category. However, that's about 15,000 residential properties that get a tax increase when its not necessary. They don't need to raise the mill-rate, they have enough excess reserve (our money from previous years) to cover this year's budget.

Whatzup why did you post such an untruth “14.3% property tax increase”

The county is raising the M&O portion .95 mils which equates to .95 cents per thousand dollars of assessed value or $36.10 on a home valued at $100,000, Which, may be offset by lower taxes on the remainder of the bill if your property lost value this year.

Fact is approximately 75% of all residents will actually pay less taxes this year than last year

Whatzup why did you post such an untruth “14.3% property tax increase”

The county is raising the M&O portion .95 mils which equates to .95 cents per thousand dollars of assessed value or $36.10 on a home valued at $100,000, Which, may be offset by lower taxes on the remainder of the bill if your property lost value this year.

Fact is approximately 75% of all residents will actually pay less taxes this year than last year

I didn't post the TOPIC. And actually I suggested the person edit it and state that it is a 14.3% mill-rate increase. Look back in the thread and you'll see that. And why we raising taxes on 25% of residents when we already have the money to meet budget this year?

I didn't post the TOPIC. And actually I suggested the person edit it and state that it is a 14.3% mill-rate increase. Look back in the thread and you'll see that. And why we raising taxes on 25% of residents when we already have the money to meet budget this year?

You are still in error on your statement the M&O is increased by.95 of a mil the entire millage rate is not increased by 14.3% as you infer,And is really a tax cut for probably 75% of the property owners. You need to go ahead and admit you have barked up the wrong tree on this one :D

You are still in error on your statement the M&O is increased by.95 of a mil the entire millage rate is not increased by 14.3% as you infer,And is really a tax cut for probably 75% of the property owners. You need to go ahead and admit you have barked up the wrong tree on this one :D

it appears that the letter writer has given false information then. not necessarily the OP.

Current Mill-Rate = 6.65

Proposed Mill-Rate = 7.60

Difference = .95 mil

% Increase = .95/6.65 = 14.3%

Current Mill-Rate = 6.65

Proposed Mill-Rate = 7.60

Difference = .95 mil

% Increase = .95/6.65 = 14.3%

Only for the Maintenance & Operations portions.

This does not increase the Fire tax levy, County Bond, School bond, School M&O and this does not equate out to a 14.3% tax increase as you would have people believe, IN AMOUNTS TO ABOUT .08 CENTS PER DAY ON A $100,000 HOME And only then if the home did not decrease in value Quit misleading the citizens.

I am going to say it one more time 75%, according to your figures are going to pay less taxes this year than they did last year :D

You'll defend this increase, but yet fault Braddock because the entire school board did not vote to decrease the millage rate. mellow.gif

No Madea I am not defending this millage rate increase, I detest higher taxes in any shape or form, And will stand arm and arm with any citizens in this great county who will support me on higher taxes.

Most everyone in this County will not be paying higher taxes this coming year including my self (about $400.00 less) And others who are complianing on here the loudest

I have basicaly stayed out of the Braddock Stout race and plan to do so in the future. BOE minutes do not lie,They are a accurate account of all the votes taken on all of the issues and it records those that are for and those that are against all the issues that voted on by the School Board.

SoundGuy posted those minutes in another thread All candidates should be truthful about how they voted on all of the issues .........Enough said?

Only for the Maintenance & Operations portions.

This does not increase the Fire tax levy, County Bond, School bond, School M&O and this does not equate out to a 14.3% tax increase as you would have people believe, IN AMOUNTS TO ABOUT .08 CENTS PER DAY ON A $100,000 HOME And only then if the home did not decrease in value Quit misleading the citizens.

I am going to say it one more time 75%, according to your figures are going to pay less taxes this year than they did last year :D

I agree. Most will pay some small amount less. It is hardly a big tax increase across the board. A small few will pay more. Most will pay less. Austin has managed well considering the mess he was left with. The budget was trimmed significantly two years in a row.

The sky is not falling. It fell before Austin took office. The adults are now cleaning up the mess.

how much has your's increased?

You're boring.

My TAXES will INCREASE from 6.65 mils to 7.60 mils tomorrow...

Correct! They're going up 14.3% from what you thought they were after the release of the 2011 FY Budget on June 1st. :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: