Paulding.com

which candidate will provide the jobs?

When I moved to this county a few years ago it became apparent to me that the leaders of this county were very short sighted in providing jobs and resources needed to entice companies to locate here.

Over the past several months I have listened to and talked with all of the candidates running for the county commission post, And have come to the conclusion that only a couple of the candidates really know, And, Have a plan to get this county out of the mess that we are in. I have lurked here on Paulding.com and read and listened to all of the rhetoric spewed out by the various candidates and surrogates of each campaign. And only two of those candidates have talked about the real issues of this County, Which is Jobs.

Only two candidates have talked about ways and means to bring those jobs to Paulding County, for that reason I will be supporting and voting for David Barnett for commissioner in post # 4 where I live.

I have also contributed to the Todd Pownall campaign since he is the other candidate that really understands the issues facing our County, and, have a plan to provide the needed jobs.

When I moved to this county a few years ago it became apparent to me that the leaders of this county were very short sighted in providing jobs and resources needed to entice companies to locate here.

Over the past several months I have listened to and talked with all of the candidates running for the county commission post, And have come to the conclusion that only a couple of the candidates really know, And, Have a plan to get this county out of the mess that we are in. I have lurked here on Paulding.com and read and listened to all of the rhetoric spewed out by the various candidates and surrogates of each campaign. And only two of those candidates have talked about the real issues of this County, Which is Jobs.

Only two candidates have talked about ways and means to bring those jobs to Paulding County, for that reason I will be supporting and voting for David Barnett for commissioner in post # 4 where I live.

I have also contributed to the Todd Pownall campaign since he is the other candidate that really understands the issues facing our County, and, have a plan to provide the needed jobs.

So, give us details. What are the plans to provide the needed jobs?

I along with most citizens in the county commute to Cobb/Fulton/Atlanta to work.

The tax digest is shot, and won't improve unless sales taxes or property taxes provide an influx of revenue for the County.

What exactly under these circumstances can ANY candidate really do to provide jobs?

Unless of course those Real Estate related jobs are the only ones that the commission cares about - like in the good ol days.

Government doesn't create jobs, they subsidize them. People create jobs.

And the Paulding BOC under Shearin and Carruth did nothing to attract industry and in fact put up roadblocks to prevent outsiders from coming here and develope industrial parks. The North Industrial Park between New Hope and Dallas as well as the Cadillac and MG international Parks were initiated by the Chamber and IBA but with ZERO planning. There was nothing done to promote building stipulations so we ended up with for the most part a hodge podge of buildings making them very undesirable by most companies who would look to move here. I leased a total of 16,000 square feet of space in 2 buildings in the North Park for 14 years. These were 2 of the very few "Spec" buildings ever constructed in the county.

The BOC endorsed a land use plan, has been part of the Coosa Valley Development Authority, and then totally ignored both. Property which was designated as prime industrial space was rezoned to high denisty housing, and in the process they drove the prices up so high as to make what property remained out of reach dollarwise for reasonable industrial development.

Under David Austin there have been some solid economic development plans formulated and the IBA is actively seeking an individual to head up a true economic development group to bring industry in. Plans are moving forward to turn the former stinky field property into industrial parks with rail siding.

I have spoken at length with both David Barnett and Todd Pownall about their economic development plans and as stated by the OP both are on board with what the BOC along with the IBA, the Chamber, and the Airport Authority need to do in order to finally bring some true economic development here.

We also need to introduce legislation in the State House to amend the current tier system which penalizes Paulding because our population is over 100,000, yet we have far less industry than Harralson or Polk or even Floyd [Rome] who have totally different tier ratings because their population is so much lower. As a result we are restricted from much of the $$ grants, tax credits, and other assistance from the State and Feds. This could have and should have been done 8 to 10 years ago but our former BOC and legislators did not bother.

Paulding still has a huge potential for industry based on our proximity to the Powder Springs Intermodal Yard, access to the Atlanta Airport, the new Paulding Airport, a huge educated workforce and 2 college campuses. Much like the housing industry though, you have to build it before they will come. Manufacturing and warehousing businesses do not want to have to develope their own buildings and industrial parks. They want to sign a lease for a building, make some changes or additions to the offices, and move in. But they have to have available buildings in industrial parks which are appealing and have proximity to rail and highways.

And the Paulding BOC under Shearin and Carruth did nothing to attract industry and in fact put up roadblocks to prevent outsiders from coming here and develope industrial parks. The North Industrial Park between New Hope and Dallas as well as the Cadillac and MG international Parks were initiated by the Chamber and IBA but with ZERO planning. There was nothing done to promote building stipulations so we ended up with for the most part a hodge podge of buildings making them very undesirable by most companies who would look to move here. I leased a total of 16,000 square feet of space in 2 buildings in the North Park for 14 years. These were 2 of the very few "Spec" buildings ever constructed in the county.

Beverly took the initial call from Cadillac Products when they made a call into Paulding Chamber to discuss coming here. Her efforts to get the right folks involved and move forward with their interests also had a lot to do with that industry coming here.

As much as she gets slammed on here, I think a lot of folks would be surprised if they spent any time realizing what she did while at the chambeer. Pownall and Barnett are not the only candidates interested in encouraging business growth in Paulding.

NC-17 - Totally agree with your post as well.

• Like 1

Part of my problems with politicians is they say what YOU the voter want to hear and often cannot deliver on those promises. We all know that jobs are the hot button issue, but for those that have worked in the development arena (and I have). Paulding County has many disadvantages in being able to attract industry:

Lack of quality land to build on: A large part of Paulding County is topographically unsuitable for large scale development. Land that is suitable for development (flat, with sewer access- such as the houses on 278 across from 278 and the new DR Horton s/d built further down) has been residential development.

Lack of infastructure- Most of the County is without sewer and will remain so because of the topography, and population density. The ongoing water issues the State of Georgia has with Lake Lanier will ultimately limit growth in the Atlanta area. Reservoirs take decades to permit, design and build and there has to be money in multiple budgets to actually build the thing. Additionally, the County has limited 4 lane access and will remain so for many decades, more than likely with 70% of GA DOT's annual budget going towards overhead and debt on previous projects. The airport adds a new dynamic to Paulding's infastructure. Granted it will attract some aviation related companies and those in the aviation industry will enjoy not commuting to Dobbins, Hartfield, etc., but without other infastructure in place we are limited!!!

No money for an incentives plan and lack of experienced Economic Development Staff- In order to be competitive in the interational bid to attract companies and jobs most of the time you need an incentives packages. Does Paulding County have the money to offer what would have to be a very aggressive incentives package to compensate for some of the above issues? In order to attract these companies, you need an experienced Development Staff with strong ties to your State Economic Development personnel, relationships with site selection consultants, Commercial Real Estate Developers and be willing to establish relationships with Development personnel in banks and companies you hope to attract.

Most importantly, this County has been known for years in certain circles as being development unfriendly. Has anything been done to change this perception?? This is a problem that in order to fix has the potential to cost serious money. Other Counties have hired PR firms and engaged the services of specialized firms to work with them to adress this issue and begin the process of re-branding the County, city, whatever.

Prime case in point, the tenative "green" development around the airport. I do not see how in the world they can expect an entity to invest upwards of a billion dollars to acquire the land and then develop it with the County having no tree ordinances, no recycling initiatives to speak off, etc. that you would expect to see in a Community. Now that the free flowing money chasing stupid projects is over, I would hope that the County would rethink what they could seriously do around the airport. I'm glad to see that the current administration has engaged the services of GA Tech to help them progress forward with Economic Initatives and the rail spur and hospital are positive steps forward.

So, my take on the situation is that unless some of these candidates can expedite the reservoir, get a bunch of roads 4 laned, can somehow revamp the County budget to be able to offer an aggressive incentives packages, invest in PR work to rebrand the County's image and has strong ties to the Development arena (site selectors, the Harley Davidson CEO, etc.) and can start shuffling the Fortune 500 companies into Paulding County, then some of them ought to be more modest in what they are promising constituents.

Beverly took the initial call from Cadillac Products when they made a call into Paulding Chamber to discuss coming here. Her efforts to get the right folks involved and move forward with their interests also had a lot to do with that industry coming here.

As much as she gets slammed on here, I think a lot of folks would be surprised if they spent any time realizing what she did while at the chambeer. Pownall and Barnett are not the only candidates interested in encouraging business growth in Paulding.

Did you realize the Chamber subsequently screwed up the rail easement for Cadillac ? And that as a result they cannot expand the facilites as they have no means to get their raw materials by rail car?

We were working with them to help them obtain a rail siding across the Palisades property we had a 1st right of refusal on but could get no assistance from Shearin and the BOC. View the December 2005 BOC meeting for more details. The corporate office for Cadillac in I believe it was Michigan told us they would eventually shutter the plant and move the production elsewhere without having access to a rail siding.

And that's too bad considering the deal Cadillac got on the lease/purchase of the building from the county. Too bad nothing was done requiring the rest of the buildings in the Park have similar designs, siding materials, and landscaping plus restricting retail and businesses catering to children. Same old lack of planning I mentioned above. John Cox at the Chamber always took credit for Cadillac coming here, as well as our retail sprawl in Hiram.

Lack of quality land to build on: A large part of Paulding County is topographically unsuitable for large scale development. Land that is suitable for development (flat, with sewer access- such as the houses on 278 across from 278 and the new DR Horton s/d built further down) has been residential development.

Have to agree with that for sure.

Shearin and his BOC zoned Palisades for PRD and did nothing to encourage or assist putting an industrial park on that 220 acres located between 2 industrial parks at MGInternational and Cadillac. The developers they turned away had 2 anchors already signed up that would have created 500 jobs not to mention the other 2000 jobs they were looking at over the 5 to 10 year build out of the Park.

Lack of infastructure- Most of the County is without sewer and will remain so because of the topography, and population density. The ongoing water issues the State of Georgia has with Lake Lanier will ultimately limit growth in the Atlanta area. Reservoirs take decades to permit, design and build and there has to be money in multiple budgets to actually build the thing. Additionally, the County has limited 4 lane access and will remain so for many decades, more than likely with 70% of GA DOT's annual budget going towards overhead and debt on previous projects. The airport adds a new dynamic to Paulding's infastructure. Granted it will attract some aviation related companies and those in the aviation industry will enjoy not commuting to Dobbins, Hartfield, etc., but without other infastructure in place we are limited!!!

As a former business owner of a light manufacturing facility I have to disagree with the infrastructure comments. Even with the terrible access into the North Industrial Park on the New Hope entrance at the time, we still had no difficulties getting ocean trailers, railroad piggybacks and 53' semis into our facility. Interstates are needed for massive retail, but not for non-retail business. Access to 278 with at grade rail availability would be higher on the list. Water is no issue for most manufacturing and warehousing. Flush the toilets and wash hands is about it. We had 26 employees, and all but 1 lived in Paulding and most of our employees were with us for a decade or more and convenience was a big part of that.

Finishing up the Hiram Bypass and widening Carruth Parkway will help out as well and open up some other land between 92 and 278 in Hiram for industrial.

No money for an incentives plan and lack of experienced Economic Development Staff- In order to be competitive in the interational bid to attract companies and jobs most of the time you need an incentives packages. Does Paulding County have the money to offer what would have to be a very aggressive incentives package to compensate for some of the above issues? In order to attract these companies, you need an experienced Development Staff with strong ties to your State Economic Development personnel, relationships with site selection consultants, Commercial Real Estate Developers and be willing to establish relationships with Development personnel in banks and companies you hope to attract.

Getting the state tier system amended to put Paulding at a level where the grants are available will help with incentives and there are other tax credits the county can offer as well, but the package for those needs to be set up in advance. Our Legislators should have been doing this instead of diddling with AGL lobbyists years ago.

The county has property they can put up as part of a joint venture with private developers who are willing to participate and the county can issue bonds to help finance that as well. They already have that authority. That will go a long way towards proving our sincerity to a potential large scale industrial developer.

If they can find the right person to head up the Economic Development Group they are in process of assembling the other pieces can fall into place.

Most importantly, this County has been known for years in certain circles as being development unfriendly. Has anything been done to change this perception?? This is a problem that in order to fix has the potential to cost serious money. Other Counties have hired PR firms and engaged the services of specialized firms to work with them to adress this issue and begin the process of re-branding the County, city, whatever.

By putting property on the table to attract a joint-venture partner and making the expertise of the community development office and PDOT and other county departments available to work WITH an industrial developer instead of AGAINST them can go a long, long way in improving our tarnished reputation with the industrial development community.

Prime case in point, the tenative "green" development around the airport. I do not see how in the world they can expect an entity to invest upwards of a billion dollars to acquire the land and then develop it with the County having no tree ordinances, no recycling initiatives to speak off, etc. that you would expect to see in a Community. Now that the free flowing money chasing stupid projects is over, I would hope that the County would rethink what they could seriously do around the airport. I'm glad to see that the current administration has engaged the services of GA Tech to help them progress forward with Economic Initatives and the rail spur and hospital are positive steps forward.

Like you, I see much large scale development near the airport as somewhat of a pipe dream. It is just going to be far to expensive to grade much of that land flat enough for a 50,000 or 100,000 square foot buildings. Now, that is not to say they can't do 10,000 to 20,000 square foot units separated by enough space to control the run-off and provide parking, but much bigger is going to be a challenge. And the lack of sewer does not help.

So, my take on the situation is that unless some of these candidates can expedite the reservoir, get a bunch of roads 4 laned, can somehow revamp the County budget to be able to offer an aggressive incentives packages, invest in PR work to rebrand the County's image and has strong ties to the Development arena (site selectors, the Harley Davidson CEO, etc.) and can start shuffling the Fortune 500 companies into Paulding County, then some of them ought to be more modest in what they are promising constituents.

I know David Barnett realizes what is involved because he built a reasonably large building to locate his own business in, and even though his business is somewhat involved with housing, he sells to other markets, including industrial as well. He is not "green" in so far as industrial groth is concered.

I have worked with Todd Pownall on several industrial projects where he looked for suitable property to locate an egg drying plant among some other poultry equipment related facilities and found him to be very knowledgeable of what it takes for industrial growth.

I found Beverly Cochran, while working for Jerry Shearin to be totally non-helpful during the 2-1/2+ years we tried to make the Palisades Property an Industrial Park instead of a high density housing development.

It became very evident to us during that time that both she, and the BOC under Shearin's leadership would do whatever the strawmen and the RBMDs wanted, and industrial growth could just be damned. Wellstar would not have obtained their other 40+ acres adjacent to Palisades had we not stepped in. Shearin and company were keeping the option the IBA had on the land a secret. It was always very obvious Beverly would do whatever was necessary to protect Shearin and his dealings. That much became evident to all involved at the time.

Beverly's supporters can say what they want, but there is no question in my mind that putting her on the BOC would be tantamount to putting King Jerry himself into the Post 2 seat.

On a side note, why don't you give Mike Jones at the county a call and find out just what happened to our reservoir during Jerry Shearin's Lame Duck last 5 months in office during which time no one at the BOC bothered to answer letters from the Corp of Engineers asking questions and requesting various additional details about our reservoir's.

By the time David Austin came in and found out what had happened under Shearin, Pat Crook and Beverly Cochran July through December of 2008 our reservoir was knocked from the fast track part of the list up top......to the very bottom of the list because no one bothered to reply to the Corps. They assumed the project had been dropped. Nice Huh?

Under David Austin there have been some solid economic development plans formulated and the IBA is actively seeking an individual to head up a true economic development group to bring industry in. Plans are moving forward to turn the former stinky field property into industrial parks with rail siding.

seems like the guy has been around over 18 months now.

so:

"show the money"

and

"where's the beef?"

come to mind....

I don't think you can have a real discussion about economic development without talking about education.

All of the candidates must take a "Team Paulding" approach to the problem.

This means including the other largest entity of government in the county and the entity with the largest number of employees. Namely the B.O.E.

If we are to solve the major problems of this county we will need all players executing to help move the ball forward.

These are tough times for our county. True leaders step up in times of need.

"True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made."

I don't think you can have a real discussion about economic development without talking about education.

This means including the other largest entity of government in the county and the entity with the largest number of employees. Namely the B.O.E.

If we are to solve the major problems of this county we will need all players executing to help move the ball forward.

"True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made."

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

MEvans That it what ultra conservative is talking about in his post, In her more than 16 years in public service her resume is really pretty short compared to Todd Pownall and Tony's is non existant compared to David Barnett, Both Todd and David have been really involved in the community have a business in the community and provide good jobs for citizens of this county and really know what it takes to bring jobs here, How to meet a payroll, Make a Budget, And deal with clients. This is no Slam on Beverly or Tony It is simply part of David's and Todd's resume, And it is much better than their opponents

Excellent observations Nick! Thanks!clapping.gif

Part of my problems with politicians is they say what YOU the voter want to hear and often cannot deliver on those promises. We all know that jobs are the hot button issue, but for those that have worked in the development arena (and I have). Paulding County has many disadvantages in being able to attract industry:

This post along with Regan Republican, GreenEyedGirl and MEvans is one of the major reasons that the county is faced with the problems we have today with jobs in our county, It is a sad day indeed when leaders do not have a vision to move the county forward and a can do attitude to get things accomplished, For to long we have been complacent with the way things are here in Mayberry, It is time to rid the county of those leaders that does not have a vision for a better paulding County and elect those who have outlined a plan for a better tomorrow We need jobs and we need to elect leaders who have a track record of providing jobs. Todd Pownall and David Barnett are the only two candidates that have this experience.

So, give us details. What are the plans to provide the needed jobs?

I along with most citizens in the county commute to Cobb/Fulton/Atlanta to work.

The tax digest is shot, and won't improve unless sales taxes or property taxes provide an influx of revenue for the County.

What exactly under these circumstances can ANY candidate really do to provide jobs?

Unless of course those Real Estate related jobs are the only ones that the commission cares about - like in the good ol days.

The building industry will not make a come back for at least 4 more years, And as long as we have citizens raising hell about a .08 cents per day tax assessment the county will never recover from this recession either

MEvans That it what ultra conservative is talking about in his post, In her more than 16 years in public service her resume is really pretty short compared to Todd Pownall and Tony's is non existant compared to David Barnett, Both Todd and David have been really involved in the community have a business in the community and provide good jobs for citizens of this county and really know what it takes to bring jobs here, How to meet a payroll, Make a Budget, And deal with clients. This is no Slam on Beverly or Tony It is simply part of David's and Todd's resume, And it is much better than their opponents

Whitey, doesn't/didn't Tony Crowe own his own business in the county as well?? It is my understanding he does/did. Doesn't/didn't he provide jobs for the citizens of Paulding County?? Make a budget, deal with clients and meet payroll???

The building industry will not make a come back for at least 4 more years, And as long as we have citizens raising hell about a .08 cents per day tax assessment the county will never recover from this recession either

It won't recover until the taxpayers who can't pay any more taxes have jobs either. The County doesn't have it but the taxpayers don't either. Jobs are the answer.

It won't recover until the taxpayers who can't pay any more taxes have jobs either. The County doesn't have it but the taxpayers don't either. Jobs are the answer.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I also found this:

<snip>

Tony stated, “I would like to express my gratitude first of all to those who voted for me in the primary and made it possible for me to be a part of the runoff. I ask that everyone go back to the polls again on August 10th.”

“My campaign slogan has been "The voice of the people" and I stand by that promise today. I feel I have ran this race with hard work, honesty, and integrity. This is as I do in my everyday life. I would like the opportunity to bring these values to a governmental level.”

“I want to cut excess spending and oppose any tax increase,” said Tony.

Tony said he would like to see more small businesses and industrial growth in the county to stimulate job opportunity, economic growth, will work hard to create jobs in the county, and feel that the jobs should not be for illegal immigrants, but for taxpaying citizens of the county.

Tony went on to say that by adding more businesses and increasing employment in the county, he would hope we would spend money within our own county.

“We must work towards completing the water reservoir for the future of our county. The airport is a great gateway for business growth in our county and I would love to be a part of making it an asset to Paulding. I will keep my promises and my promise is to answer to and respect everyone. Please know that I am accountable and always will be,” Mr. Crowe replied.

Interview with Tony Crowe ="http://image.examiner.com/x-38352-Paulding-County-Republican-Examiner~y2010m7d26-Commissioner-Post-4-Candidate-Tony-Crowe-My-promise-is-to-answer-to-and-respect-everyone"

And yes, he owned his own business right here in good ole Paulding County for 30 years. ;)

Edited by PUBBY
do not provide live links to sites that pay authors based on the number of clicks delivered.

Whitey, doesn't/didn't Tony Crowe own his own business in the county as well?? It is my understanding he does/did. Doesn't/didn't he provide jobs for the citizens of Paulding County?? Make a budget, deal with clients and meet payroll???

I have heard that at one time he did have a sheetrock business of some type and catered to the building industry for his work which has now slowed down considerably and may even be out of business. The whisper around the post is that he worked a lot of mexican workers?

I have also heard that he was hired on by the county as a Building inspector when Jerry Shearin was in office, And was in fact working for the County when he qualified to run for post 4 SO................... does he still have the sheetrock business???????????????? Who knows he never attends those meetings when these things are being discussed

I have heard that at one time he did have a sheetrock business of some type and catered to the building industry for his work which has now slowed down considerably and may even be out of business. The whisper around the post is that he worked a lot of mexican workers?

I have also heard that he was hired on by the county as a Building inspector when Jerry Shearin was in office, And was in fact working for the County when he qualified to run for post 4 SO................... does he still have the sheetrock business???????????????? Who knows he never attends those meetings when these things are being discussed

:shok: :shok: You heard?? My momma always told me to believe nothing that you hear and only 1/2 of what you see!! I'm sure your momma had a similar statement about gossip. :)

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I also found this:

<snip>

Interview with Tony Crowe

And yes, he owned his own business right here in good ole Paulding County for 30 years. ;)

Link dosen't work, Is this the interview with Pubby?

:shok: :shok: You heard?? My momma always told me to believe nothing that you hear and only 1/2 of what you see!! I'm sure your momma had a similar statement about gossip. :)

I heard that also, And momma also said that where there is smoke there is fire :D

How many more "what if's" and "I heard's" are you going to throw at this man? I have met him and I think he can do the job. I think it is a low trick to try to pin the hiring of illegals on him without proof. I think you and some others tried to do it to Golden too!

I can't vote in this one either but I believe both men are capable and would be good additions to the BOC.

The BOC endorsed a land use plan, has been part of the Coosa Valley Development Authority, and then totally ignored both. Property which was designated as prime industrial space was rezoned to high denisty housing, and in the process they drove the prices up so high as to make what property remained out of reach dollarwise for reasonable industrial development.

I have spoken at length with both David Barnett and Todd Pownall about their economic development plans and as stated by the OP both are on board with what the BOC along with the IBA, the Chamber, and the Airport Authority need to do in order to finally bring some true economic development here.

We also need to introduce legislation in the State House to amend the current tier system which penalizes Paulding because our population is over 100,000, yet we have far less industry than Harralson or Polk or even Floyd [Rome] who have totally different tier ratings because their population is so much lower. As a result we are restricted from much of the $$ grants, tax credits, and other assistance from the State and Feds. This could have and should have been done 8 to 10 years ago but our former BOC and legislators did not bother.

Paulding still has a huge potential for industry based on our proximity to the Powder Springs Intermodal Yard, access to the Atlanta Airport, the new Paulding Airport, a huge educated workforce and 2 college campuses. Much like the housing industry though, you have to build it before they will come. Manufacturing and warehousing businesses do not want to have to develope their own buildings and industrial parks. They want to sign a lease for a building, make some changes or additions to the offices, and move in. But they have to have available buildings in industrial parks which are appealing and have proximity to rail and highways.

And.... Cue Billy Mays!!! :lol: Will David or Todd help me loose weight or help me get those tough set-in stains out? How about get more stuff in my closet?

Seriously..... your average post commissioner has no more control over jobs than I do over weather. I think the strategy right now is to talk up Paulding and take whatever comes. We can't exactly be the pickiest girl at the dance anyway- no Interstate, 278 is basically a 1/4 mile drag strip between traffic lights (except during rush hour, when it turns into a crawlway) and we have no water supply. The airport is so far removed from anything I thought I was in Polk county when I drove past it. But I am curious.... just what does someone expect any of the candidates, if elected, to do to bring jobs here? Lay-off more employees? Get animal control opened back up? Build another park or fire station? Really?

Link dosen't work, Is this the interview with Pubby?

I heard that also, And momma also said that where there is smoke there is fire :D

I fixed the link, but momma also said hush your mouth!!!

It appears he is also interested in bringing jobs to Paulding and getting the reservoir back on track as well. His words, not someone else's.

Government doesn't create jobs, they subsidize them. People create jobs.

But with the right people in place a small county government like ours can sweeten the pot for potential corporations who in return provide local jobs and help with the local tax burden. Unless, of course, said county government is ran by a bunch od damn crooks that are only interested in lining their own pockets and the pockets of their closest crook pals.

How many more "what if's" and "I heard's" are you going to throw at this man? I have met him and I think he can do the job. I think it is a low trick to try to pin the hiring of illegals on him without proof. I think you and some others tried to do it to Golden too!

I can't vote in this one either but I believe both men are capable and would be good additions to the BOC.

NewsJunky will you please tell me what part of the post is in error? And I will gladly make a correction.

Bottom line Mr. Golden shot his self in the foot when he mailed out the flyer against Mr. Stout He beat his self with the flyer, At the time he was easily in the run off with Stout, And would of defeated him in the runoff

And.... Cue Billy Mays!!! :lol: Will David or Todd help me loose weight or help me get those tough set-in stains out? How about get more stuff in my closet?

Seriously..... your average post commissioner has no more control over jobs than I do over weather. I think the strategy right now is to talk up Paulding and take whatever comes. We can't exactly be the pickiest girl at the dance anyway- no Interstate, 278 is basically a 1/4 mile drag strip between traffic lights (except during rush hour, when it turns into a crawlway) and we have no water supply. The airport is so far removed from anything I thought I was in Polk county when I drove past it. But I am curious.... just what does someone expect any of the candidates, if elected, to do to bring jobs here? Lay-off more employees? Get animal control opened back up? Build another park or fire station? Really?

Nope! But I hear there is a surgery to remove your nose from King Jerry's ass. Ask Ithy and Tom about it. They are likely scheduled for the procedure. :D

A unified BOC working together with the IBA, Chamber, and a viable economic developmennt group can make things happen.

When questioned as to why we have not lobbied for workable impact fees 3-4 years ago, Bill Heath, and some of the others replied "Because the Paulding BOC has told the representatives they don't want impact fees". Pretty clear cut.

Has our BOC lobbied for our legislators to amend the requirements for the various tier system ratings now in force ? Not until Austin and company came in.

Yes, a unified BOC could get one hell of a lot accomplished. Just look at what Jerry and company got accomplished for the ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS! They got them reduced impact fees, lax banking laws, zoning for whatever they wanted, and they allowed them to run rampant and suck the live out of Paulding in their obscene profits. The developer who did Palisades refused to consider a $1.5 Million dollar profit to flip the property for industrial use. Instead he moved forward, with the BOC blessings from Jerry Shearin for 500+ houses. They have built 85. The rest of the land is now basically a weed infested wasteland.

What could a progressive BOC trying to bring industry to Paulding could have done ?

King Jerry and his group, including Beverly Cochran, Paulette Rakestraw, Tony Crowe and his GOP group leaders [Virginia and Daryl Galloway, Tom Melanese- Reagan Republican, Chris Collins-Ithy/Praise Thee, et al] are hard at work to try to keep their foot in the door.

DON"T LET THEM!!!

Vote the old group out and give David Austin and his guys a chance to make some progressive things happen. Their hands have been tied by Kirby, Powell and Ragsdale for the past 18 months, and this is proven by their vote to not allow David to dismiss Beverly Cochran from her $65,000 a year secretary job. Tell me plain and simple, if you were elected to a position such as the commission chairman, would you want to be REQUIRED to keep your opponent's assistant as your assistant ?

NewsJunky will you please tell me what part of the post is in error? And I will gladly make a correction.

Bottom line Mr. Golden shot his self in the foot when he mailed out the flyer against Mr. Stout He beat his self with the flyer, At the time he was easily in the run off with Stout, And would of defeated him in the runoff

I did not think it was wise to send the mailer but I don't think that is the reason he had 57 votes fewer than Braddock. It does not matter except to say that the same so called rumors were thrown out on this board about him that you are now throwing out about Crowe. I say prove them or don't use them.

I disagree with you on this, The county commission has everything to do with bringing jobs to the County, Look at what the commission is doing right now As far as the widening of Bill Carruth parkway and the industrial park that is planned on the old spray fields with adjacent rail heads, Heck I remember under the past adminstration that you could not even drive by this area due to the stinky spray fields, And not the area is again suitable for a industrial park which is now in the planning stage.

One candidate even sent out a flyer saying that the sewer renovation should be halted, that it was wasted money, well........... all I can say about that is thanks to this commission, the odor emitting from the spray fields is under control

Wow, that was ugly.

If they only knew how little time Jerry spends in the county and how few people even talk to him. I've had one private conversation with him in the four years I've been here. Oh by the way, I voted for Austin in 2008. But that doesn't matter, question any of Austin's actions and you instantly become part of the Jerry conspiracy. Maybe the first phase of Paulding's economic plan should include an insane asylum for those suffering from Jerry Shearin Derangement Syndrome.

If they only knew how little time Jerry spends in the county and how few people even talk to him. I've had one private conversation with him in the four years I've been here. Oh by the way, I voted for Austin in 2008. But that doesn't matter, question any of Austin's actions and you instantly become part of the Jerry conspiracy. Maybe the first phase of Paulding's economic plan should include an insane asylum for those suffering from Jerry Shearin Derangement Syndrome.

I voted for him too but that does not mean I won't ask questions and if I feel the BOC is not moving in the right direction they can depend on me to speak up and say so. That is my right as a resident and a taxpayer in Paulding County. I think a lot of questions need to be asked of the candidates and I don't think it is fair to rip to pieces those you decide against. I think the comments about the Galloways and others are totally out of line and inappropriate.

I voted for him too but that does not mean I won't ask questions and if I feel the BOC is not moving in the right direction they can depend on me to speak up and say so. That is my right as a resident and a taxpayer in Paulding County. I think a lot of questions need to be asked of the candidates and I don't think it is fair to rip to pieces those you decide against. I think the comments about the Galloways and others are totally out of line and inappropriate.

You know? The internet has effectively busted up a lot of the back room political strongholds. Apparently the Galloways have a personal (or specific) agenda. That doesn't fly these days. What is best for ALL the people will be the way of the future.

Nope! But I hear there is a surgery to remove your nose from King Jerry's ass. Ask Ithy and Tom about it. They are likely scheduled for the procedure. :D

The only kings I'm wild about are two, three and four of a kind :p Who are Ithy and Tom- do they have pcom names?

I must admit, I'm giving Austin more credit than he is guilty of. Their first year they are 'citizen' leaders- then they work their way up to 'officials'. After that they become the minor royalty. It isn't really until a few years into it that they become full-fledged monarchs. King Jerry may have had his day, and I'm sure King David's day is right around the corner though. ;)

He was in town this week in Hiram Campaigning for the Real Deal for Governor Whom I was going to vote for, When I saw him with the Deal sign I went the next day and voted for Handel, I have learned my lesson with that guy.

BTW since you were the Paulding county campaign manger for Eric Johnson will you please have his signs removed from the roadways?