Paulding.com

Post Commission Run-Off Elections

There was another event sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce yesterday for all of the candidates in the local run-off elections. The various candidates responded to general questions asked by the Chamber, and each opponent was allowed to ask a question as well.

Stout and Braddock were there.

Lane and Donovan were there.

Todd Pownall was there.

David Barnett was there.

Beverly Cochran and Tony Crowe were NOT there.

However, Beverly Cochran did email the Chamber a question to ask Todd Pownall.

Why won't Beverly and Tony participate in any of these public events ? Just makes you wonder if they are hiding from something or don't want to get put on the spot of having to respond to a question. At the Stars and Strikes event last month Beverly was asked whether or not she supported the SPLOST, and she refused to answer.

I have to assume Beverly and Tony feel they will do better by just staying out of the public eye and canvassing the neighborhoods instead going door to door. Sure wish they would make some statements on what they support and what their plans would be if elected.

• Like 3

There was another event sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce yesterday for all of the candidates in the local run-off elections. The various candidates responded to general questions asked by the Chamber, and each opponent was allowed to ask a question as well.

Todd Pownall was there.

David Barnett was there.

Why won't Beverly and Tony participate in any of these public events ? Just makes you wonder if they are hiding from something or don't want to get put on the spot of having to respond to a question. At the Stars and Strikes event last month Beverly was asked whether or not she supported the SPLOST, and she refused to answer.

I have to assume Beverly and Tony feel they will do better by just staying out of the public eye and canvassing the neighborhoods instead going door to door. Sure wish they would make some statements on what they support and what their plans would be if elected.

A round table discussion is also scheduled for today on P.com between all commissioner candidates, I wonder if Beverly and Tony will show up for this discussion?

Surely they have no objections to discussing the issues that they are running on!!!!!!

A round table discussion is also scheduled for today on P.com between all commissioner candidates, I wonder if Beverly and Tony will show up for this discussion?

Surely they have no objections to discussing the issues that they are running on!!!!!!

David Austin did not show up to at least one debate with Jerry Shearin. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't show up for the big one at Chathahoochee Tech.... :drinks:

David Austin did not show up to at least one debate with Jerry Shearin. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't show up for the big one at Chathahoochee Tech.... :drinks:

Can't say I blame David. Everyone knows that Jerry is a master debater.

Speaking of King Jerry, I saw him yesterday at the corner of 92 and 278 holding a Nathan Deal sign.

I have to assume that Karen Handle is NOT one of Jerry's Girls ?!?

Beverly Cochran and Tony Crowe have not made themselves available for any public gatherings since the primary and only sporatically before then. I am just wondering why ?

Beverly, come out-come out, come-out where ever you are and talk to us. Tell us some of your plans as a potential commissioner and how you are going to work to improve Paulding county. Todd has been pretty much out there since this race started.

And Tony Crowe has been a phantom candidate as well. I would not know him if he walked into the room, let alone what his plans are.

Todd Pownall was there.

David Barnett was there.

Apparently going door to door speaking with people one on one on the issues has worked for them. If they feel this is the way to go, and the polls did show it worked, why do you have a problem with it?

Apparently going door to door speaking with people one on one on the issues has worked for them. If they feel this is the way to go, and the polls did show it worked, why do you have a problem with it?

Because I feel the public, i.e. voters, have the right to know where the candidates stand on various issues brought up in a public forum where there will be records if it down the road [remember "Read my lips....no new taxes"?].

And one of the questions Beverly was asked at the public event 5-6 weeks ago about SPLOST, she refused to answer stating commissioners cannot give public comments or support for SPLOST. And she is not a commissioner best I know.

David Barnett and Todd Pownall have been out front and have replied to everything asked of them.

I guess for me it boils down to who is running and for what reasons. Coming to your house and telling you in private what you want to hear may be a good vote getter, but to me is cowardly if their feet can't be held to the fire later when they renege on those promises.

Speaking of King Jerry, I saw him yesterday at the corner of 92 and 278 holding a Nathan Deal sign.

Are you serious? I thought he would never come back up here from Florida.

And most important, if I were running for office, I wouldn't have him campaigning for me!! :rofl: '

But after all, it was for Nathan Deal.

Did anybody catch him and Karen Handle on FOX Atlanta Sunday evening? Nathan Deal is so rehearsed.

Because I feel the public, i.e. voters, have the right to know where the candidates stand on various issues brought up in a public forum where there will be records if it down the road [remember "Read my lips....no new taxes"?].

And one of the questions Beverly was asked at the public event 5-6 weeks ago about SPLOST, she refused to answer stating commissioners cannot give public comments or support for SPLOST. And she is not a commissioner best I know.

David Barnett and Todd Pownall have been out front and have replied to everything asked of them.

I guess for me it boils down to who is running and for what reasons. Coming to your house and telling you in private what you want to hear may be a good vote getter, but to me is cowardly if their feet can't be held to the fire later when they renege on those promises.

At this point pretty much all on here know who you are backing in these races, whether you can vote for them or not. Both David and Todd are apparently worthy of the position while the other two are not. I got it. :blink:

• Like 1

I did not see a public announcement of this event. Surpip how can you say the voters do not know how the candidates answered if the public was not there and knew nothing about it?

NewsJunk

Come on now. Beverly knew the event at the Chamber was taking place, and sent in an email with a question for her opponent even though she chose to sit it out on the sidelines. It was on the Chamber website.

Pubby has publicized today's event as well.

Beverly and Tony knew about these but chose to stay away as they have the previous public appearances with the balance of the candidates.

If they allow themselves to answer questions which will be recorded for future reference, then they open themselves up to be made out to be liars at some point in the future as King Jerry was when he ran for his 3rd term.

If they stay to just meeting with voters in the privacy of their homes, they have no repercussions to worry about in the future.

I just wish they would make their goals, plans, and platforms public.

NewsJunk

Come on now. Beverly knew the event at the Chamber was taking place, and sent in an email with a question for her opponent even though she chose to sit it out on the sidelines. It was on the Chamber website.

Beverly and Tony knew about these but chose to stay away as they have the previous public appearances with the balance of the candidates.

If they allow themselves to answer questions which will be recorded for future reference, then they open themselves up to be made out to be liars at some point in the future as King Jerry was when he ran for his 3rd term.

If they stay to just meeting with voters in the privacy of their homes, they have no repercussions to worry about in the future.

I actually went to the Chamber website a couple of days ago and I did not see it. I saw a Governmental Meeting (I think). I was not saying that Beverly did not know. I don't know what she knew or didn't know. I did not know and I read a lot. Oh and thanks for the slam of my screen name!

NewsJunk

Who is advising them to not show up they need to show are they afarid go ask JERRY

NewsJunk

Surepip, you are awfully wrapped up in this election- as apparently you were the last one over King Jerry. Listening to you is almost like listening to an infomercial on how much we need product A and how much product b stinks. You have a lawsuit against the county and I have to wonder if you have a very vested interest (more than the ret of us) in the outcome of a couple of these elections?

• Like 1

Hee Haw:

I think Surepip, like most of us, has a vested interest in good, honest, just, legitimate, and efficient government. I don't think we've always had that here in Paulding.

BTW, if we had good, honest, just, legitimate and efficient government I don't think Surepip would have had to file a lawsuit in the first place.

pubby

PS: I believe the candidates he is supporting are the best bet to bring us good, honest, just, legitimate and efficient government.

I didn't hear you complaining about the events that David Barnett missed.

• Like 1

Well is Jerry a strong supporter of Beverly,after all they did work together. Most what she learned from Jerry might be used for this election. Do we really want to go back to those days?? hmmmm I wonder wink...winkohmy.gif

Well is Jerry a strong supporter of Beverly,after all they did work together. Most what she learned from Jerry might be used for this election. Do we really want to go back to those days?? hmmmm I wonder wink...winkohmy.gif

Please prove that.

I don't think you will either. I think Animal is speaking with a mouth full of sour grapes.

Please prove that.

I say prove it too, Animal!!!

I did not see a public announcement of this event. Surpip how can you say the voters do not know how the candidates answered if the public was not there and knew nothing about it?

Sorry, I was just doing a quid pro quo.

And Beverly did indeed know about the event, she sent in a question for Todd even though she no-showed.

Surepip, you are awfully wrapped up in this election- as apparently you were the last one over King Jerry. Listening to you is almost like listening to an infomercial on how much we need product A and how much product b stinks. You have a lawsuit against the county and I have to wonder if you have a very vested interest (more than the ret of us) in the outcome of a couple of these elections?

HeeHaw,

I have never pulled any punches with my distaste for the previous administration and all connected to it. And I have publicly eaten my plate of crow numerous times for the fact I actually supported Shearin and his group in 2000 and 2004, actually driving around with a sign on my trunk supporting him.

In the fall/winter of 2005, and going into the spring of 2006, I learned first hand how indeed the county was run, and who was really in charge. Over the course of the next 4 years, after filing suit against the BOC and the developer for amoungst other things Zoning Fraud, we learned more than we ever wanted to know about Shearin, various board members, assorted county employees and the RBMDs who pull the strings.

And during the past 4 years, 2 of the sitting BOC members not seeking re-election have agreed to spend more than $1,000,000 [Million, that's right] of Paulding tax payer dollars to simply litigate us to block us from getting into the courtroom.

And the law firm that money has gone to has turned around and made substantial donations back to these same Paulding politicians over and over and over again. Surprise, surprise, surprise!?

I have also watched first hand how the RBMDs and the BOC was well as other elected officials and county managers have done all they could do to stymie industrial development while re-zoning the best industrial properties over to high denisty residential over and over again for the same group of developers.

And yes, Beverly Cochran sat in on vitually every one of those executive sessions concerning the deals made for many of these zonings, property purchases, and yes, our lawsuits.

And if you don't think Beverly is still tight with Jerry Shearin then you have definitely been drinking the Cool-Aid.

Want to buy some nice ocean front property in Kansas as well ?

• Like 1

Did Beverly work for Jerry for 8 years?

Did Beverly get fired by David

Did she sue the county

Does she have an ax to grind

If it walks like a duck & talks like one what do you think?

How many years did she work for the county prior to Jerry? I don't know that she filed suit. I haven't SEEN a lawsuit. It's been reported here that there was an out of court settlement. If she settled, what ax? pardon.gif

Sorry, I was just doing a quid pro quo.

And Beverly did indeed know about the event, she sent in a question for Todd even though she no-showed.

I have a better excuse. My mistake was a typo. The keys on my key board are malfunctioning and if I don't take the time to really check this will happen. I have to laugh at what ends up on my screen sometimes.

Did Beverly work for Jerry for 8 years?

Did Beverly get fired by David

Did she sue the county

Does she have an ax to grind

If it walks like a duck & talks like one what do you think?

My understanding is that Bill Carruth hired her and she worked for him during his term. Jerry saw that she was a capable employee and kept her and didn't see the need to clean house and bring in all his cronies like David Austin who I beleive brought in four employees within 2-3 months after coming into office from a local engineering firm specializing in water and sewer work.

Edited by winston1972

Just curious, exactly what events has David Barnett missed? The man give his phone number out on P.com yesterday, so if someone wants to know where he stands on certain issues, just call him. If he has missed any public events I'm sure there was a good reason. At least he's putting forth an effort unlike "NO SHOW CROWE."

WOW, anyone can make into a run off in this county!

"NO SHOW CROWE"

&

"CONSTANTLY ABSENT COCHRAN"

How can someone cast a vote for someone who is too scared to show their face during a true round table debate / discussion!

I would really like to have heard an open discussion between all the candidates; this would have answered a lot of question for a lot of people!

No one should be upset with David or Todd for wanting to give back two years worth of their, would be salaries! I think this shows they really care about the county and all the people who call Paulding home.

WOW, anyone can make into a run off in this county!

"NO SHOW CROWE"

&

"CONSTANTLY ABSENT COCHRAN"

How can someone cast a vote for someone who is too scared to show their face during a true round table debate / discussion!

I would really like to have heard an open discussion between all the candidates; this would have answered a lot of question for a lot of people!

No one should be upset with David or Todd for wanting to give back two years worth of their, would be salaries! I think this shows they really care about the county and all the people who call Paulding home.

:blink:

I would imagine with the mud slinging in many a thread on here some candidates would be less then willing to come here. Maybe they had prior engagements, or feel as if some other forum works better for them. Just because someone does not come to a p.com round table does not mean they are "scared to show their face". Look at the votes they received. Obviously they are doing something right according to many who call Paulding home.

Come on bellaprincess ... Beverly is about as wishy washy as they come ... Did you hear the answer she gave before the July 20 vote that passed extending the SPLOST?

What she said is that the commission is not allowed to either support or oppose the SPLOST and she felt that was a good reason for her, a private citizen running for office to duck an answer.

The point is that she was a private citizen just ducking a question.

Why? Because she could stay off the record on an important issue. Why is it important to do that?

Because if no one knows where you stand and you refuse to talk to more than one person at a time, you can be for the splost, ordinance, etc. etc. with people who are for those things and 'against' those things when talking with people who oppose them.

It is not statesmen like and it is inherently dishonest, slippery slithering good from the politicians standpoint because only half the folks know you were lying ... and some of them being good Christians, will probably forgive you.

pubby

Come on bellaprincess ... Beverly is about as wishy washy as they come ... Did you hear the answer she gave before the July 20 vote that passed extending the SPLOST?

What she said is that the commission is not allowed to either support or oppose the SPLOST and she felt that was a good reason for her, a private citizen running for office to duck an answer.

The point is that she was a private citizen just ducking a question.

Why? Because she could stay off the record on an important issue. Why is it important to do that?

Because if no one knows where you stand and you refuse to talk to more than one person at a time, you can be for the splost, ordinance, etc. etc. with people who are for those things and 'against' those things when talking with people who oppose them.

It is not statesmen and it is inherently dishonest, slippery slithering good from the politicians standpoint because only half the folks know you were lying ... and some of them being good Christians, will probably forgive you.

pubby

She received the most votes in her race, correct? Obviously she is doing something right.(That was after her comment on SPLOST)

I also seem to remember her granting you an interview on the information that Surepip posted. (That wound up being a contract that I and others would have made people uphold too) I do not believe her to be "ducking" stuff. There has been one thing after another about her here with not any of it full facts just opinions and speculation. I know in her position I would be hesitant to do anything with p.com. No offense to you, but the few that take things and run with them in the direction they see fit and put their own spin on the information.

This is not an endorsement of her, it is a "look at the other side" of candidates. This has been an all around ugly race with a lot of ugly threads here. Not just this particular one. ALL of them. I am more then fed up with it all.

:blink:

I would imagine with the mud slinging in many a thread on here some candidates would be less then willing to come here. Maybe they had prior engagements, or feel as if some other forum works better for them. Just because someone does not come to a p.com round table does not mean they are "scared to show their face". Look at the votes they received. Obviously they are doing something right according to many who call Paulding home.

Or maybe they are just chicken sheeze. Or or or maybe they know they will be exposed for being totally ignorant on all the issues the county is facing.

HeeHaw,

I have never pulled any punches with my distaste for the previous administration and all connected to it. And I have publicly eaten my plate of crow numerous times for the fact I actually supported Shearin and his group in 2000 and 2004, actually driving around with a sign on my trunk supporting him.

In the fall/winter of 2005, and going into the spring of 2006, I learned first hand how indeed the county was run, and who was really in charge. Over the course of the next 4 years, after filing suit against the BOC and the developer for amoungst other things Zoning Fraud, we learned more than we ever wanted to know about Shearin, various board members, assorted county employees and the RBMDs who pull the strings.

And during the past 4 years, 2 of the sitting BOC members not seeking re-election have agreed to spend more than $1,000,000 [Million, that's right] of Paulding tax payer dollars to simply litigate us to block us from getting into the courtroom.

And the law firm that money has gone to has turned around and made substantial donations back to these same Paulding politicians over and over and over again. Surprise, surprise, surprise!?

I have also watched first hand how the RBMDs and the BOC was well as other elected officials and county managers have done all they could do to stymie industrial development while re-zoning the best industrial properties over to high denisty residential over and over again for the same group of developers.

And yes, Beverly Cochran sat in on vitually every one of those executive sessions concerning the deals made for many of these zonings, property purchases, and yes, our lawsuits.

And if you don't think Beverly is still tight with Jerry Shearin then you have definitely been drinking the Cool-Aid.

Want to buy some nice ocean front property in Kansas as well ?

How many acres? Near KC?

I don't doubt that you feel you have been victimized- and not knowing the real details I can't say who is right or wrong. But, I'm assuming that if the county has spent 1 mill on the case, you must be pretty leveraged as well. In any case the question still stands unanswered. And frankly, if I were in your shoes I would probably be extremely biased towards supporting candidates where I believed the end result would be a favorable outcome for me in my case. I don't blame you if you feel that way, but I think in all fairness to the rest of the people you are trying to influence, they should be aware of your interests.

There also seems to be some criticism of a couple of the candidates for not being involved in events of which this site is also involved. Pubby has very openly stated who he supports- as well as who he is against (yes, the 'wide load' comment was a cheap shot). Any candidate not on Pubby's favored list would only be wise to avoid association with him and this site at any event or p.com sponsored forum. I must admit, for some time I had the impression that Pubby was- or at least tried to maintain- a somewhat neutral stance on politics and simply report local news and events. It now seems that he has moved from reporting news and events to political commentary, making the site pretty much off-limits for any truly unbiased debate or analysis.

• Like 2