Paulding.com

Man oh, Man! Did Dick Donovan go in your corn flakes? I saw an add for Dick Donovan that said he has never won an election. Good night!

The editorial you did was nice too. My response to you is it takes one to know one! Take some Midol and let it pass.

• Like 2
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man oh, Man! Did Dick Donovan go in your corn flakes? I saw an add for Dick Donovan that said he has never won an election. Good night! The editorial you did was nice too. My response to you i

Dick is running for DA.   Dick is a bully.   Don't be a DICK.

Just so you know this, if they had just let your original statement go I would have probably voted for him. His reaction to what you said is what cost him my vote; not what you said.   Because they

Posted Images

Man oh, Man! Did Dick Donovan go in your corn flakes? I saw an add for Dick Donovan that said he has never won an election. Good night!

The editorial you did was nice too. My response to you is it takes one to know one! Take some Midol and let it pass.

DD hasn't won an election, has he?

He lost a bid for sheriff in the 90s and the runoff to Lane a few years ago. This is his third election and it took to a runoff.

• Like 2

What can I say, to know Dick is to be insulted by the man, dismissed by the man, with you WFAL - threatened with lawsuit by the man.

The reason I pointed out that he never won an election before is because, in the old days, a large enough percentage of the people knew what an arrogant, insufferable ass he is and wouldn't vote for him for any reason.

Oh, and Ultramsb: As far as taking one to know one, I'm not up for election and asking the people to hire me.

pubby

PS: I thought the surrounding video, from Jefferson's 1800's race to the bombs - I actually lost it at the blue screen of death in the Canadian piece - and even George Allen's Macaca statement (that one butthole comment probably cost him the presidency) put it all in context.

Ohhhh-kay. The only thing I can think of is that Donovan was half-way joking when he said "wide load", but even if that is the case (which I'm guessing it's not), it's still incredibly insulting, ESP. considering a camera was present. Comments on a person's physical attributes is in grievously poor taste, no matter who you are or when and where you say it. I right sure I disagree with Pubby on many issues, but in lurking here for a long, long time, I've never seen him do something that I thought was just outrageously (or even moderately, come to think of it) bad. And he did say it's an editorial. This and the thing about threatening WFAL with a lawsuit just didn't seem kosher to me. Free country, I guess, but it's not endearing me to a candidate who would otherwise have my vote inasmuch as I'm so unhappy with Lane. As my toddler nephew says, whatev.

I could never run for office. Everybody I know has a nickname, some of them not-so-pc. I guess some people have a weird way of showing affection. The worse the nickname I give you, the more I love you.

I'm not sure if DD has a weird way of showing affection or if he is ticked off at being publicly slandered during his campaign. I assume the latter. But who knows, maybe he really digs you Pubby.

Mei Lan---

Here is the letter he sent me. I blocked out my name and address....because I don't need crazy people showing up at my house and putting DD signs in my yard :ninja:

It's real and it scared the crap out of me when I first got it, which I'm certain was the intention.

Yeah, that would've sent me scurrying to my lawyer's office, too. I mean, I don't know you from Adam, nor him, so I have no interest in the difference(s) between the two of you. But it seems a little...odd...for a person running for elective office to not go out of his/her way to try to be gracious and professional in all respects in order to put forth the best front to people. IMHO, by him responding this way to your statements (even if his response is true, which I have no way of knowing, and don't care), it's brought a lot of unwelcome negative attention to him. If instead, he had said (on here) something like "well, she has a right to her opinion and we will agree to disagree, but I pledge to do as good as job as I can as DA," then it would have been over and nobody would even remember the discussion. But as I keep finding myself saying of so many people running for office, whatever.

Yeah, that would've sent me scurrying to my lawyer's office, too. I mean, I don't know you from Adam, nor him, so I have no interest in the difference(s) between the two of you. But it seems a little...odd...for a person running for elective office to not go out of his/her way to try to be gracious and professional in all respects in order to put forth the best front to people. IMHO, by him responding this way to your statements (even if his response is true, which I have no way of knowing, and don't care), it's brought a lot of unwelcome negative attention to him. If instead, he had said (on here) something like "well, she has a right to her opinion and we will agree to disagree, but I pledge to do as good as job as I can as DA," then it would have been over and nobody would even remember the discussion. But as I keep finding myself saying of so many people running for office, whatever.

I told someone the other day that if he would have just ignored me, I would have eventually gone away when my posts faded into a distant pcom memory.

The letter sent me over the edge. I went from being pissed off because I had to fire him and hire a new lawyer to being threatened....and I didn't go to a happy place over it.

To be honest, I was all set to apologize and retract, but I just couldn't.

Mei Lan---

Here is the letter he sent me. I blocked out my name and address....because I don't need crazy people showing up at my house and putting DD signs in my yard :ninja:

It's real and it scared the crap out of me when I first got it, which I'm certain was the intention.

post-4016-128002566736_thumb.jpg

How did how know who you were? Was he reading comments on Pcom that he took exception to? You'd think that the rule of 'If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen' would apply since he is a politician. Wow, the word Dick is stuck in my mind for sure after this.

How did how know who you were? Was he reading comments on Pcom that he took exception to? You'd think that the rule of 'If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen' would apply since he is a politician. Wow, the word Dick is stuck in my mind for sure after this.

In one of my posts IN A POLITICAL THREAD I said I had recently fired him as my attorney. I guess I was the only one bold enough to do that and then brag about it :lol:

Obviously, as his former client, he has my name and address.

I'm so glad my better half decided not to enter politics. No matter what, it is just nasty.

It's nasty when you try to stay clean.....but when you do crap like DD has done, you pretty much bring it on yourself. Threats and name calling BY the person trying to get elected.... :shakeshead:

In one of my posts IN A POLITICAL THREAD I said I had recently fired him as my attorney. I guess I was the only one bold enough to do that and then brag about it :lol:

Obviously, as his former client, he has my name and address.

Wow, thats a little scary.

I could never run for office. Everybody I know has a nickname, some of them not-so-pc. I guess some people have a weird way of showing affection. The worse the nickname I give you, the more I love you.

I'm not sure if DD has a weird way of showing affection or if he is ticked off at being publicly slandered during his campaign. I assume the latter. But who knows, maybe he really digs you Pubby.

CeeJay:

I know that he wasn't ticked off because the video was taken at the GOP picnic on June 18th - a week before WFAL made her comments and before there were any negative comments on paulding.com.

It was taken when I was wandering around the GOP picnic and he just came out with that in his typically arrogant "I'm the only person that counts" demeanor. I was going to walk up and interview him and give him a little earned media, as they say, but he decided to insult me instead.

Obviously, I turned off the camera. I blew it off and forgot about it because that is just the way he is and has always been. (His personality is one of the reasons I've never supported his candidacy any time he has run. I've never openly opposed him or suggested he is the wrong guy for this office ... until he threatened WFAL ... which is what tells me this guy is not just not my personal pick, but would be a disaster in office.)

I know his 'resume' of experiences, including law enforcement, etc. would seem to be a good fit for that post. But that little snipped of video, which shows his true personality, does sum up why he never won an election and why he shouldn't win.

The greater reality of politics is that a lot of folks don't know the candidates very well. And so when someone calls them a pompous ass they figure it is because the person calling names is the ass because they've never seen that side of the guy.

It wasn't until last Thursday that I went back to see if I could find the clip. It just occurred to me then that this little bit of video may clue folks to who Dick Donovan really is, without having to call names. I mean, I'm no glutton for punishment and I sure am not eager to be known as wideload, but hey, I figure by failing to use my name (he knows it), he just insulted every fat person in Paulding.

pubby

I'm sure he was pissy then, this is from May 26, 2010: http://paulding.com/forum/index.php?/topic/245256-lets-see-how-the-election-is-looking/page__view__findpost__p__3170534

I'm not defending him calling you a name. I was just pointing out motive.

Maybe. He's running for a position as the people's lawyer and I don't think it was wrong to tell people what kind of lawyer he was [for me].

However, there's more to that thread: http://paulding.com/forum/index.php?/topic/245256-lets-see-how-the-election-is-looking/page__view__findpost__p__3178031

And that was mild compared to the response he made later on...but that thread is in the political forum.

Either way, nothing that I've said about the way Donovan conducted himself was false.

What video are y'all referring to?

It's in post #5.

Well, it didn't say "Donovan" and I KNOW that's not his picture. pardon.gif Plus, several folks mentioned it was stalling their computer.

It depends on your browser if it stalls.

It jacked my IE, but Google Chrome isn't having any problems.

The piece with Donovan is after the puppies, chicks, and a-bombs.

I told someone the other day that if he would have just ignored me, I would have eventually gone away when my posts faded into a distant pcom memory.

The letter sent me over the edge. I went from being pissed off because I had to fire him and hire a new lawyer to being threatened....and I didn't go to a happy place over it.

To be honest, I was all set to apologize and retract, but I just couldn't.

Well, knowing me like I know me, I'd have probably done the same. Or worse. Like my apology would have said I do apologize for whatever I said that sent you up the creek, but I'm also sorry that your being such a pissant provoked me into doing it. Or something to that effect. Which prolly wouldn't be conducive to peace between us. :D

Actually, I really wouldn't have said that on a public forum (the pissant part). But I do believe I'd have been...er...motivated, shall we say, to have my lawyer discuss things with him. Which maybe you did that, too. But this whole thing has seemed puzzling to me. His reaction, that is.

Pubby used to be more careful about allowing opinions on attorneys: http://paulding.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121020&view=findpost&p=1525847

I understand the impulse to discuss an attorney if you feel you haven't been served appropriately or fairly. Trust me, I really do. If you decide you just HAVE to say something publicly, you should expect a response. I'm not sure anyone would be successfully sued for doing what WFAL did, but I would worry like hell if I ever needed to use the legal system in that county again. These old dudes are all very well acquainted.

Well, knowing me like I know me, I'd have probably done the same. Or worse. Like my apology would have said I do apologize for whatever I said that sent you up the creek, but I'm also sorry that your being such a pissant provoked me into doing it. Or something to that effect. Which prolly wouldn't be conducive to peace between us. :D

Actually, I really wouldn't have said that on a public forum (the pissant part). But I do believe I'd have been...er...motivated, shall we say, to have my lawyer discuss things with him. Which maybe you did that, too. But this whole thing has seemed puzzling to me. His reaction, that is.

I wrote a "retraction" letter. My sister told me not to post it. :ninja:

I'm sure he was pissy then, this is from May 26, 2010: http://paulding.com/forum/index.php?/topic/245256-lets-see-how-the-election-is-looking/page__view__findpost__p__3170534

I'm not defending him calling you a name. I was just pointing out motive.

CeeJay :

I'm more familiar with the exchange that occurred in the donovan v wfal topic which occurred a week after (June 26th) the one you cited. I was more aware of it because it occurred in late June and it apparently spurred the threat of legal action.

Indeed, I remember the first one now but that topic was basically dead until Dick started whining.

Harry Truman, BTW, said about politicians taking heat ... that if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

pubby

The case law says retraction rule doesn't apply to Internet chat room postings:

Williamson v. Lucas 11 (by its plain language OCGA 51-5-11 meant to apply only to newspapers and other printed media). First, they contemplate actions between an aggrieved party and a newspaper, television station, or radio station. They do not appear to address actions between two individuals. Second, these statutes do not reach Internet media such as chat rooms. The statutes, to the contrary, address media which broadcast programs at specific times to specific audiences, whereby a retraction would likely be heard by the same audience hearing the original defamatory remarks. To the contrary, the audience in a chat room is in a constant state of flux, making the remedy envisioned by OCGA 51-5-12 inapplicable.

Pubby used to be more careful about allowing opinions on attorneys: http://paulding.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121020&view=findpost&p=1525847

I understand the impulse to discuss an attorney if you feel you haven't been served appropriately or fairly. Trust me, I really do. If you decide you just HAVE to say something publicly, you should expect a response. I'm not sure anyone would be successfully sued for doing what WFAL did, but I would worry like hell if I ever needed to use the legal system in that county again. These old dudes are all very well acquainted.

Were he not running for a public office, it would be a different situation. My comments about his abilities as an attorney were made in a politically motivated thread and provided first-hand testimony about his abilities as an attorney, which directly correlate to his abilities as a DA.

Otherwise, I'm certain I would have kept my mouth shut. All of my posts about DD have been related to his abilities to fulfill the duties of the office for which he is seeking election.

I am not the type of poster who says things and then ignores all of the responses to it. There is a whole thread in the political forum where I openly asked questions of him, but he didn't answer.

However, there's a line. Making threats crosses that line. He knows he doesn't have a case (per the Supreme Court), and if he doesn't know, then he doesn't need to be DA. I can only assume that I came across to him as a woman who can be pushed around. The time I spent with him, I was very emotionally vulnerable, since the situation deals with my child. He sent the letter to shut me up and shut me down. That is absolutely unacceptable.

You better hope he wins so he'll be too busy to mess with you. If he loses, he may go after you (and Pubby) with both barrels. Where there is a will, there is a way. Also, I would hate for you to have to pay to defend yourself. Sometimes making the other party pay legal fees is the entire point of the exercise.

I also kinda hope he doesn't see this thread.

Behave so I don't have to worry about it. lol.