Paulding.com

William Lamar "Papa" Holland

In loving memory of my grandfather, Lamar Holland, who passed away on May 13, 2001. He was known as "Papa" to many.

He was born in Paulding County, February 14, 1930 and after living in Smyrna, Georgia and raising two sons, retired to Paulding County. He lived in the Burnt Hickory Community and was a volunteer fireman at Station 6 in Burnt Hickory for close to 15 years. Everyone that knew him, loved him and he never met a stranger. He was the kind of man that you knew beyond a doubt would take his shirt off and give it to you if you needed it. He passed away after difficulties following surgery to repair an aneurysym.

We miss him greatly, he was my best friend, but take comfort knowing he is at God's side and his old body is anew.

I volunteered with Lamar at the firestation. He made me love coming to the Tuesday night meetings even more because I always knew he was there to tell one of his stories and share a smile. He touched all of our lives and we all miss him!

Thanks. I love to hear the stories that people share. At the funeral home after he passed away, I talked to many of his firemen friends, some I knew, some I had only heard him speak of. Being a volunteer is what kept him going. He told me many times that he was going to turn in his radio and give it up, because his health had gotten so bad, but he couldn't do it. God bless him.

Sunflower, I too worked with your grandfather at the fire station. He was always there and ready to help in anyway he could. I wish we could of had a dozen more like him. He touched many lives during his time with the fire dept. Not only did he touch those of us that worked around him, but he touched so many lives in the community while on calls with the FD. He always had a comforting smile no matter what the situation. When I first started working at sta. # 6, I had to learn a lot of the roads, and as you know there are alot of hidden roads in Burnt Hickory, so it wasn't easy. But there was one thing I could count on and that was Lamar giving directions over the radio, day or night, if I called asking for a location he would always answer and give exact directions to wherever I was going. It was a great pleasure knowing and working with your grandfather and he is missed by many in the FD. God Bless you and your family.

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS FIREFIGHTER. I REALIZE THAT WHEN PAPA PASSED AWAY THAT IT WAS NOT ONLY A GREAT LOSS TO ME AND MY FAMILY, BUT TO THE COMMUNITY AS WELL. THERE WERE SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO CAME TO THE FUNERAL HOME, WHOM I HAD NO IDEA WHO THEY WERE, AND FOUND OUT LATER THAT THEY WERE PEOPLE THAT THE FIRE RESCUE HAD RESPONDED TO AND HAD MET HIM. THAT SAYS ALOT ABOUT HIM. HE TOUCHED MANY LIVES.

I JUST APPRECIATE YOU GUYS AND ALL THAT YOU WERE TO HIM. YOU ALL MADE AN OLD MAN FEEL NEEDED AND THAT WAS IMPORTANT TO HIM AND MEANT ALOT TO ME. HE WAS A PROUD MAN. WHEN HIS HEALTH BEGAN GETTING BAD, HE WAS MISERABLE, BECAUSE HE WAS ALWAYS SO ACTIVE AND IT REALLY DEPRESSED HIM. BEING A PART OF STATION 6 AND HELPING OUT AND KNOWING YOU ALL WAS A TREASURE TO HIM.

MY SON, WHO IS 14, AND THE LIGHT OF PAPA'S LIFE, SPENT ALOT OF TIME AT THE FIRE STATIONVWITH HIM AND HAS DECIDED THAT HE TOO, WANTS TO BE A FIREMAN. HE PLANS TO GO AHEAD AND TAKE THE PARAMEDIC TRAINING ALSO. I THINK THAT IS A WONDERFUL LEGACY AND IT WILL MAKE PAPA PROUD.

THANKS AGAIN AND GOD BLESS YOU!