Paulding.com

What no thread about the DA's race?

I think Dick Donovan is the best choice for this seat. Plumley has the personality of a turd and I've heard Lane has been incompetent.

I disagree.

Dick Donovan has no respect for the first amendment (dear to me, maybe not to you) and threatens those whom he has allegedly provided less than great legal services with libel suits for saying so in the context of a political race. Bottom line his is a bully whose disrespect for the first amendment of the Constitution ought to be an automatic disqualification for the office of DA.

For the record, the first amendment is as dear to me as the second, third, fourth, fifth, and the rest of the bill of rights.

pubby

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not retiring anytime soon (read "never") because after about six months ennui would set in and I'd be a basket case; I am a borderline workaholic. Also, I have no interest in a judge's position. I

Settles it for me... If he's got guts enough to come on here and face down the PCOM jackals he sounds like the man for the job. I'm not as interested in having a 'nice guy'- or the current seat warmer

I am a female who has used Mr. Donovan and was recommended by a female to use Mr. Donovan. We have found Mr. Donovan very professional and an excellent attorney. He provides realistic advise and isn

Yes, Clark passed going westbound on Dabbs Bridge and passed in a corner ignoring the double line. He was going well above the speed limit when he struck my son's Explorer head on.

And, thanks for asking. My son and his girlfriend were OK - just a few scratches.

Son's truck:

ExplorerinJunkYard3.jpg

Clark's car:

TheOtherCar.jpg

Wow, that's so incredibly sad. :( Makes ya wonder where he was going that it was THAT important, to risk all the lives involved, especially his own little boy. He's got to live with that forever...I'm glad your son is ok psd, God must have been watching over him that day. (end hijack, sorry)

Wow, that's so incredibly sad. :( Makes ya wonder where he was going that it was THAT important, to risk all the lives involved, especially his own little boy. He's got to live with that forever...I'm glad your son is ok psd, God must have been watching over him that day. (end hijack, sorry)

You are very kind. My son benefited from the experience but we both would prefer never to go through it again.

It is how it's supposed to be. :wub: I don't necessarily agree with all that you've said, but I've never witnessed Donovan (actually any of the candidates) in the courtroom.

I do know that cases involving children can be extremely complicated. While I'm not coming out in favor of Mr. Donovan making a reply on a specific case, I also don't believe he's "leaked secrets". And I really don't believe this one case defines his entire career.

I like WFAL. But I don't know all the facts surrounding her issue. She and I have never discussed it at all.

I can tell you he's a good man..He has represented me in several legal battles and my family. I was a victim of domestic violence and filed for divorce which ended up being very messy. He was nothing but diligent in helping me get what I deserved. The jurors that sat on my divorce case(which took 3 days) were so impressed with him, they came to him after the case was over to ask for a business card. He is a very firm believer in justice and is very knowledgeable about the law. He also represented me in a child custody case so I could get get custody of my granddaughter in which we won and I now have custody of her. It's not easy in the state of Georgia to get custody of grand children because in Georgia grand parents don't have rights but, with his knowledge I got my granddaughter. He's a go getter and I believe he will make a very good D.A. Every lawyer doesn't win every case, it depends on what they have to work with.

• Like 1

I can tell you he's a good man..He has represented me in several legal battles and my family. I was a victim of domestic violence and filed for divorce which ended up being very messy. He was nothing but diligent in helping me get what I deserved. The jurors that sat on my divorce case(which took 3 days) were so impressed with him, they came to him after the case was over to ask for a business card. He is a very firm believer in justice and is very knowledgeable about the law. He also represented me in a child custody case so I could get get custody of my granddaughter in which we won and I now have custody of her. It's not easy in the state of Georgia to get custody of grand children because in Georgia grand parents don't have rights but, with his knowledge I got my granddaughter. He's a go getter and I believe he will make a very good D.A. Every lawyer doesn't win every case, it depends on what they have to work with.

I'm glad you 'praised' Mr. Donovan. I fear, given WFAL's experience, that if you hadn't, he'd have threatened to sue you for libel too.

pubby

I'm glad you 'praised' Mr. Donovan. I fear, given WFAL's experience, that if you hadn't, he'd have threatened to sue you for libel too.

pubby

Very cheap shot.

pubby

You just can't quit can you? Although you love spouting Drew's misrepresentations.

I used Dick Donovan once in a child custody matter. What a waste of money.

I used him in a custody case to get custody of my granddaughter and we won in a state where grand parents have no rights...Every lawyer can't win every case, it depends on what they have to work with. Well worth my money.

You have 3 posts on p.com and I think this is your first?

You have had "several" legal battles with your own family???? :blink:

Sorry, but I doubt you can convince me that Donovan is the best candidate for this job.

To be honest, there is not a good candidate for this job.

Yea, with one day to go I'm still undecided. I waver back and forth, I suspect I won't decided until I get there.

I stood in front of the booth before I decided in two races. One local race and the one for Governor.

Yea, with one day to go I'm still undecided. I waver back and forth, I suspect I won't decided until I get there.

I'm sticking with the incumbent only because I figure it will be cheaper just to keep him than to have to re-do the offices, re-hire staff....

I'm sticking with the incumbent only because I figure it will be cheaper just to keep him than to have to re-do the offices, re-hire staff....

Oh, but if you follow the Beverly Cochran school of government employees, you have your job forever, even at ridiculously high salary levels. And if the new guys try to dismiss you, you threaten to sue them. No need for Drew's replacement to re-hire staff.

Sorry, but I doubt you can convince me that Donovan is the best candidate for this job.

Tough call for sure, I only know positively who I'm not voting for. Bullies don't get my vote. ;)

Same here, There are a couple I won't know til that screen is in front of me.

I've noticed AT LEAST half a dozen who signed up for accounts just to post positives about Donovan.

I'm not convinced.

Donovan got an aquatance of mine full custody of his daughter. I know of several times that he has been passed out drunk and most likely stoned while his 5 year old was in the house.

I've noticed AT LEAST half a dozen who signed up for accounts just to post positives about Donovan.

I'm not convinced.

Donovan got an aquatance of mine full custody of his daughter. I know of several times that he has been passed out drunk and most likely stoned while his 5 year old was in the house.

WAFL, I'm sorry this happened to you and your little one. I'm even more sorry you got so scared by a Bully, that was absolutely uncalled for. I guess it might matter who you know. :)

Well if Pubby and W4AL can run the DA office better. Then put up the money.

And yes Pubby, the first amendment shot was rude and not called for... Donovan as an attorney or anything else would NOT step on those rights... Frankly, I do not see any other stories here about Lane and Plumley. So much for being objective and fair.

And W4AL, When I hear someone start a conversation with. "Well a Friend of mine..." just tells me this is going to be a work of fiction. You know what I mean, wink ... wink... Hey doctor I have this friend.... blah blah.

Frankly, I can only guess is that your picks can not get the job done. So lets belittle others. Almost sounds like the NAACP against the Tea Party and the White House against all those that do not agree with the current administration.

G. Wolf

PS : I expect to be bullet-ted or kick-off. It has been fun, but I am disappointed with what appears to be character assassination...

Edited by Gray_Wolf
  • Like 2

And yes Pubby, the first amendment shot was rude and not called for... Donovan as an attorney or anything else would NOT step on those rights... Frankly, I do not see any other stories here about Lane and Plumley. So much for being objective and fair.

And W4AL, When I hear someone start a conversation with. "Well a Friend of mine..." just tells me this is going to be a work of fiction. You know what I mean, wink ... wink... Hey doctor I have this friend.... blah blah.

Frankly, I can only guess is that your picks can not get the job done. So lets belittle others. Almost sounds like the NAACP against the Tea Party and the White House against all those that do not agree with the current administration.

G. Wolf

PS : I expect to be bullet-ted or kick-off. It has been fun, but I am disappointed with what appears to be character assassination...

Your glasses are a little rosey....he has attempted to step on those rights and sent me a letter so this isn't just my word.

As for the "friend" part, the dude is an aquantance. In fact, he's the one that recommended Donovan to me. I figure if Donovan could get HIM custody, then Donovan could get me anything, considering the background of my situation. Fact, not fiction.

I personally don't care if Drew or Plumbley win. All I can do is speak to what I know and I know Donovan isn't all he's being hyped up to be.

G. Wolf

Grey Wolf:

Why would you expect to be bulleted or kicked off. I'm not vindictive and I believe in the first amendment which means it is fine that you disagree and it is even okay - hell it was good - that you were animated and clever in your retort.

Look, I've seen the letters and read the original topic in which it was posted. It would be about as ridiculous as me asking you for a retraction and apology for what you said. (I wouldn't waste your time or my money getting an attorney to write such a worthless piece of crap and unless you were a world-class wimp, you'd tell me to kiss off anyway.

That's basically what WFAL did and this bully sends her a letter, gets heated in his discussion with her attorney and convinces him/her that he is serious about filing and WFAL ought to recant and apologize.

Recant for what? WFAL couldn't figure out how to recant and apologize for saying she was unhappy with his service and felt patronized and disrespected and had by someone who should have had a slam-dunk case but blew it ... and she fired him because of that! Asking her to apologize and recant was like asking a kid under arrest for something he didn't do to go ahead and plea guilty to the charge because they'll let him/her go home when he does (Not likely but you'd be surprised how many confessions are obtained by that kind of deception).

But the record is that is exactly what he did. He actually talked with WFAL's new attorney and convinced that attorney to recommend that she withdraw her comment and apologize in return for a promise not to sue for libel including punitive damages. That attorney told her, she said, that he'd stand behind her but that he/she was not practiced in libel and she would need to go to Atlanta to get a lawyer.

In essence she was presented with a give up your rights and it will all go away situation. Plea guilty and we'll let you go home.

Libel is a tort, as well and like most, lawyers aren't rewarded by modesty. This is chilling because he could easily claim it cost him not one, but five cases, each of which would be worth, with 50 hours worth of work at $300/hr - $15,000 plus $500,000 punitive damages. And that would be his opening offer for a settlement.

To say that is not chilling to a single mom living on a teachers salary is to fail to understand the risk of being sued, especially by an attorney.

Knowing that just engaging an attorney to answer the suit will cost a couple of grand and you understand how arrogantly he was saying, shut up woman or I'll crush you.

The only problem with that is that he's a candidate for public office and the US Supreme Court in its wisdom, determined those running for public office are public figures and have to abide by a different set of rules. The ruled back in 1964, that in the interest in a full and unfettered discussion of issues in personalities in political races, to COMMIT libel, those who write things would have to do so with reckless disregard for the truth. It is a very, very high standard that assures WFAL's victory ... hell, she'd win anyway based on the fact that she didn't libel him under any standard ... but it is a slam dunk under the rules that pertain to a public figure.

And don't think that Dick didn't know what he was doing. He's worked in the media. He knows the law. He ignored it and decided just to see if he could bully WFAL because ... well that's what bullies do ... bully those whom they believe are vulnerable.

pubby

I've seen Lane in action - not impressed.

I've seen Donovan in action - would like him to represent me if I ever got in trouble.

If pubby is against Donovan then all the more reason for me to vote for him - which I did.

And will again.

Georgia Dawg:

I am passionate about supporting the first amendment. I also support the Second Amendment right to own a gun.

So, let me guess, you're going to flip on that one because of my support of it too?

pubby

PS: I get the feeling you're impressed by tall men. Many voters are. In all but a handful of presidential races, the tallest man has won and in most of those cases where the smaller man won, the difference in height was not dramatic (less than 6 cm). The only problem with this is that it acknowledges that most folks make their decision based more on their gut feeling than even their own personal self-interest.

PPS: You can tell us of your experience with Drew Lane, the one where you were not impressed. I know he understands that even if you're critical, as a public figure he doesn't have the right to sue or even threaten to sue in an effort to intimidate you. I would be more careful commenting about Donovan, though.

I disagree.

Dick Donovan has no respect for the first amendment (dear to me, maybe not to you) and threatens those whom he has allegedly provided less than great legal services with libel suits for saying so in the context of a political race. Bottom line his is a bully whose disrespect for the first amendment of the Constitution ought to be an automatic disqualification for the office of DA.

For the record, the first amendment is as dear to me as the second, third, fourth, fifth, and the rest of the bill of rights.

pubby

I have to agree with thatblush.gif

Oh, but if you follow the Beverly Cochran school of government employees, you have your job forever, even at ridiculously high salary levels. And if the new guys try to dismiss you, you threaten to sue them. No need for Drew's replacement to re-hire staff.

Oh my,my someone else is taking shots at her! please continueblink.gif

No need for Drew's replacement to re-hire staff.

Oh really?

He's got an ADA on his staff that came in after one trial, one in which he failed to prove his case, and told us that his hands were clean and if anything happened to this child that his blood would be on our hands. If he had done a better job proving his case perhaps we would have decided in his favor. That ADA needs to go too.

BTW, it was Dick Donovan's method of questioning, rebuttal, and his overall commanding courtroom demeanor that I was impressed with - not his height. That sounds like a superficial person's opinion who would be impressed by one's appearance.

Oh really?

He's got an ADA on his staff that came in after one trial, one in which he failed to prove his case, and told us that his hands were clean and if anything happened to this child that his blood would be on our hands. If he had done a better job proving his case perhaps we would have decided in his favor. That ADA needs to go too.

BTW, it was Dick Donovan's method of questioning, rebuttal, and his overall commanding courtroom demeanor that I was impressed with - not his height. That sounds like a superficial person's opinion who would be impressed by one's appearance.

I was never very impressed with Drew and his staff. I'd be OK with a reorganization top to bottom.

Oh really?

Georgia Dawg:

His height is part of his commanding courtroom demeanor.

But the ability to cross examine a witness is but one aspect of being a lawyer and especially a district attorney.

He worked as a police officer, he was not the Captain or department head. In his legal career, he never worked in a law firm larger than his own sole proprietorship. I suspect he possibly has a secretary or two.

Bottom line he has no experience managing a law office with a half-dozen attorneys or more. Is he a good boss? Is he respectful to professionals (other attorneys and others) or even people in the general public (such as myself) or is he the same arrogant bully he's proven himself to be in other places and other times.

Bottomline, the world would be a pretty bland place if there weren't Dick Donovans around and we can all recognize "that's just Dick" ... But we don't need this kind of personality in the DA's office. Yes, we're talking about a hiring an older man -- 62-64 years old -- to come in an run a bigger office than he has ever had, with thousands of more cases on the table and thousands more coming every year. Oh, and did I mention smaller budgets in the coming years.

You guys say, go ahead and say that he can replace staff. What happens to the cases in progress in which the current Assistant DAs have 70 hours in ... do we hire a new ADA to put in another 70 hours on that case. With close to a thousand current cases in process, how much money do you want to spend/waste changing in midstream?

And for what? Dick is four years away from retirement. What is his burning passion? To get a state retirement?

pubby

Finally, the idea that the DA's office is not operating properly is largely an exaggeration.

Georgia Dawg:

But the ability to cross examine a witness is but one aspect of being a lawyer and especially a district attorney.

He worked as a police officer, he was not the Captain or department head. In his legal career, he never worked in a law firm larger than his own sole proprietorship. I suspect he possibly has a secretary or two.

Bottom line he has no experience managing a law office with a half-dozen attorneys or more. Is he a good boss? Is he respectful to professionals (other attorneys and others) or even people in the general public (such as myself) or is he the same arrogant bully he's proven himself to be in other places and other times.

Bottomline, the world would be a pretty bland place if there weren't Dick Donovans around and we can all recognize "that's just Dick" ... But we don't need this kind of personality in the DA's office. Yes, we're talking about a hiring an older man -- 62-64 years old -- to come in an run a bigger office than he has ever had, with thousands of more cases on the table and thousands more coming every year. Oh, and did I mention smaller budgets in the coming years.

You guys say, go ahead and say that he can replace staff. What happens to the cases in progress in which the current Assistant DAs have 70 hours in ... do we hire a new ADA to put in another 70 hours on that case. With close to a thousand current cases in process, how much money do you want to spend/waste changing in midstream?

And for what? Dick is four years away from retirement. What is his burning passion? To get a state retirement?

pubby

Finally, the idea that the DA's office is not operating properly is largely an exaggeration.

Gosh, I hope you ask the same question about Roy Barnes, who was born in 1948 and is 62 years old. He may be looking for a state retirement based on your thinking.

Georgia Dawg:

pubby

You continually post that Donovan is a bully. I guess you think if you repeat it often enough it will become everyone's truth. Since you refuse to post the letter that helped you form that opinion, I contend it is simply your opinion and it will carry about as much weight with me as your opinion "that the DA's office is not operating properly is largely an exaggeration".

Or, your continual posting is an attempt on your part to bait Mr. Donovan.

If anybody has been on a losing side of a court case--they would normally say that the opposing counsel was a bully. See it all the time. It is their job to prove their client to be not guilty or right in the situation. In most cases, they do come across very strong. I certainly know that if they were my attorney--I would want that.

Yes, I do work in a law firm. I handle Bankruptcies, which is a lot different that criminal, civil and domestic cases.

As far as WFAL case with Mr. Donavan--if I remember correctly right after she had the baby--it was very ugly with the father. Having been through a similar situation with a family member, it can be very tough. When a father does not claim a child in the beginning--it is a nasty situation. This has all been aired out over the internet in this situation (WFAL's), she was very vocal about all of this, even before the child was born. I can imagine that there were unrealistic demands made from the beginning, which is sometimes what is done in most cases. Then you will bargain down to a more realistic compromise. I can certainly see where this could have happened and a client is not pleased with an attorney. Bottom line is--once paternity is proven, that parent has legal rights and the other parent is not happy with that. It goes both ways--if you want the financial support--you have to give them those rights (unless you can without a doubt prove that the parent is unfit).

As far as Mr. Lane goes--he can cry all he wants to about the number of cases his office has completed this year. My question would be--how long have those cases been on the books??? I would bet that most have been there at least 2-3 years. It is unbelievable that they will let a misdemeanor case sit there for that long without it being accused--let alone prosecuted. I would love to see some numbers on that.

As far as Mr. Lane goes--he can cry all he wants to about the number of cases his office has completed this year. My question would be--how long have those cases been on the books??? I would bet that most have been there at least 2-3 years. It is unbelievable that they will let a misdemeanor case sit there for that long without it being accused--let alone prosecuted. I would love to see some numbers on that.

Do people have to sit in jail to wait for their case to be tried if they don't have the bail money/are denied bail? That could be a problem if you are truly innocent. (Isn't everyone in jail innocent? haha)

You continually post that Donovan is a bully. I guess you think if you repeat it often enough it will become everyone's truth. Since you refuse to post the letter that helped you form that opinion, I contend it is simply your opinion and it will carry about as much weight with me as your opinion "that the DA's office is not operating properly is largely an exaggeration".

If he says it enough times, isn't that bullying? :unsure:

Pubby shouldn't pick sides publicly. When he does, he loses his "man behind the curtain" status.

I didn't get the letter, WFAL did.

Maybe she will post it.

pubby

What makes people think the whole world wants to know their personal business, anyway? When someone invites trouble, why are they inevitably shocked and dismayed when it arrives at their doorstep shortly thereafter?

If the original post not been made, Mr. Donovan would have had no reason or opportunity to respond at all.

I think it's rather short-sighted to just assume he wouldn't be an effective district attorney based on someone's experience with his representation in a civil matter, especially given how tough it can be to fully please all of the people, all of the time - (or these days, anybody at all, really).

In matters between two parties in which one is NOT the state, especially custody/support cases, the party who doesn't prevail is seldom going to come away with the view that it was a fair or just decision or that they contributed in any way to the outcome...

What makes people think the whole world wants to know their personal business, anyway? When someone invites trouble, why are they inevitably shocked and dismayed when it arrives at their doorstep shortly thereafter?

If the original post not been made, Mr. Donovan would have had no reason or opportunity to respond at all.

I think it's rather short-sighted to just assume he wouldn't be an effective district attorney based on someone's experience with his representation in a civil matter, especially given how tough it can be to fully please all of the people, all of the time - (or these days, anybody at all, really).

In matters between two parties in which one is NOT the state, especially custody/support cases, the party who doesn't prevail is seldom going to come away with the view that it was a fair or just decision or that they contributed in any way to the outcome...

LOVE IT!!!! :clapping:

Here are some posts where others have posted about their personal experience with Donovan. It seems to me that those most qualified to speak to his abilities as an attorney are those who have witnessed him in action. There seems to be a theme of unhappiness from clients and arrognace on Mr. Donovan's part. I'm sure spending more than 5 minutes looking would have yeilding more results.

*These are just a few of the posters that spoke out on the board. I have a dozen PMs from others who wanted to let me know that I'm not the only one who received the treatment from Donovan in court that I posted about originally. However, pcom rules don't allow me to disclose the contents of PMs and I figure those people messaged me rather than posted publically for a reason.

I meet Mr. Donovan several years ago when I worked at the bank. He obviously thought he could get what he wanted by intimadating me. He was rude & obnoxious. I would have thought he was having a bad day but everytime he came in he was like that. My husband has had some issues with him also. I would not vote for this man for Dog Catcher. Glad that is off my chest. LOL Vent over!

One thing I know is Dick will not be receiving my vote.

Dick Donovan - I disagree about arguing a case before the court, my personal experiences with him have been just the opposite. I actually felt sorry for his client in the criminal case and I was a witness for the prosecution!!!

As a daughter of parents that worked in law....He will not be getting mine either.

I used Dick Donovan once in a child custody matter. What a waste of money.

Same here

I had to ask one of my family members why she had Drew Lane signs in her yard. It's not that she likes Drew, it's that she was screwed over by Donovan. So that is one more female that doesn't like Dick (no pun intended). I voted against Drew Lane last time, but I am REALLY undecided this time. The young guy is out. I might have to vote for Drew Lane.

To address other points (I'm sure I'll miss some, but I'll do my best):

The child custody case wasn't ugly. After baby-daddy decided to be a part of his daughter's life, I allowed it. It's a classic case of giving a mouse a cookie...he wanted more...joint custody to be more specific.

I went to Donovan at his office, paid him (what I consider to be) a lot of money, and expected that he would file the appropriate paperwork for my case. I didn't know until I pulled my file for my new attorney that Donovan didn't file an answer to the original claims and did little more than issue a notice of appearance. He was on the case for 4 months.

*I think it would be unfortunate for a perp to get off because the DA doesn't file paperwork in a timely manner.

Further more, when we were actually IN the court house, I sat there for hours not knowing when/if my attorney was going to show up. I did not receive any notice from his office that he wouldn't be there at the designated time. When he finally appeared, he was empty handed. The hearing was over a temporary order for visitation. The other side had sent a proposed temporary order to Donovans office. I went there and ripped it apart so Donovan would know what to argue. As far as I know, he didn't even bring the paper with my wishes on it to court! I suspect he never read it, since while I was writing it in his office and talking to him/asking questions of him he kept walking out of the room while I was mid-sentence.

I made the decision to fire him after coming up with another whole lot of money to hire a new attorney. The new attorney managed to get the temporary order changed so that it was more appropriate of a visitation schedule for a 3 year old.

I stated all of this in other threads. As a result, Mr. Donovan sent me a letter. Here are the contents of the letter:

"You have twice slandered and libeled me and attempted to defame me in a public forum. The statements you have made are not true, and the falsity of those statements is well known to you. Unless you immediately retract the defamatory statments you have made, and appologize to me in the same forum, I will file an action against you, inter alia, under O.C.G.A. 51-5-1 et seq, for libel, seeking general, special, and punitive damages."

Of course, he then sent a letter to my new attorney stating pretty much the same thing and included copies of my statements on pcom. What I find most interesting about the letter to my new attorney is that he stated in the letter that he only responded to my first comment about him, when in fact, he responded to me or about me at least 3 times that I've found so far.

Bottom line: I won't be supporting him. The great thing about democracy is that we are all free to make our own decisions based on the information that we have about the candidates.

Hey Chic, there are some unwritten laws in politics. One is if you aren't going to keep wee willie in his pen then you need to stay out of politics. Another is if you plan to ever be in politics don't ever crap on anyone.

Personally I think the internet is the greatest tool ever for controlling politicians. What used to take an entire career for the truth to get out now only takes milliseconds. Ask Glenn Richardson and Jerry Shearin how well it works.

I don't know either of these guys. I do know that my aunt had a bad experience with one of them and I noticed a pattern of females having complaints. I'm kind of partial to females. I have a wife, two daughters and two granddaughters. Anyone that fools with either of them has had a bad day. And I will make it my business if I see a man doing ANY female wrong. I'm just that old fashioned and redneck.