Paulding.com

What no thread about the DA's race?

I'm not looking for a community activitst, a nice guy, someone with a sweet wife. I'm looking for someone who is going to actively and agressively prosecute cases in Paulding County. Who is that person? Of the 3 choices, I'm just not sure yet. I've seen Drew Lane in action and I wasn't impressed. But, I haven't seen the other two try a case so I don't know if they are any more or less impressive. If I base my decision on experience, Donovan appears to have the most criminal trial experience and is also a former police officer.

There are lots of gray areas for me in this election - almost to the point that I think it may not matter who wins, we won't be any better or worse off.

Maybe Pubby could invite all three to a debate?

I would love to see them in a debate!! I think that would help me make up my mind. :clapping: Good idea!

Maybe if they saw all the on the fence posts around here they could be persuaded to do one.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not retiring anytime soon (read "never") because after about six months ennui would set in and I'd be a basket case; I am a borderline workaholic. Also, I have no interest in a judge's position. I

Settles it for me... If he's got guts enough to come on here and face down the PCOM jackals he sounds like the man for the job. I'm not as interested in having a 'nice guy'- or the current seat warmer

I am a female who has used Mr. Donovan and was recommended by a female to use Mr. Donovan. We have found Mr. Donovan very professional and an excellent attorney. He provides realistic advise and isn

I'm undecided on this one also.

I see Donovan's years on the police side of law enforcement as a positive. I suspect he knows what it's like to arrest someone and then wait and wait for justice to be done. I would think that this might give him a 'hunger' to get the cases tried that the others might not have. I am leaning toward him at this time, but not totally committed.

I have to say that I don't know a lot about Drew's activities, however, I will say that wins/losses in prosecuting a case are not all based on the actions of the DA's office. My wife was on a jury case in Paulding several years ago and mishandled evidence and bad investigation (local and GBI) almost got the guy off. However, that is not an excuse for stretching the case out, I have to say they should either drop the charges or get on with the trial. Rumors of empty courtrooms for a lot of the week bother me.

Plumley is the wildcard I think in this race. I have to go back and look at the video of his speech at the PBA meet and greet. I don't remember being impressed, but I might have missed something.

This is actually one of those times when I wish the State and Superior Courts had their records online so we could search and see if any of the three have ever faced each other and what the outcome was. If neither Donovan nor Plumley have ever had a case against Lane or if they aren't actively defending criminal cases in the Paulding courts, why not?

Let's see if I have this right? Donovan sucks, Lane sucks even worse and Plumley has never tried a criminal case so he obviously isn't even as good as the other two. Is that about it?

Almost, we don't know yet how much Plumley sucks. :lol:

Let's see if I have this right? Donovan sucks, Lane sucks even worse and Plumley has never tried a criminal case so he obviously isn't even as good as the other two. Is that about it?

Depends on who you ask. I personally feel that if you're trying to oust an incumbent that you better be damn sure you replace him with someone better. This may be a case of "stick with the devil you know"

For the record, Drew Lane did NOT personally try the Silver Comet murder case.

What do you mean he did not personally try the silver comet murder?

Drew Lane was the leader of the team of prosecutors that tried this case and conducted the cross examination on several key witnesses and provided the at least the closing statement if not the opening statement.

The sentence you wrote is vague because it implies that he has been saying that he was the lone prosecutor (he hasn't) and refutes that.

He was absolutely personally involved in the prosecution of the case. To suggest that he was not is balderdash.

pubby

What do you mean he did not personally try the silver comet murder?

Drew Lane was the leader of the team of prosecutors that tried this case and conducted the cross examination on several key witnesses and provided the at least the closing statement if not the opening statement.

The sentence you wrote is vague because it implies that he has been saying that he was the lone prosecutor (he hasn't) and refutes that.

He was absolutely personally involved in the prosecution of the case. To suggest that he was not is balderdash.

pubby

Hell Pubby, I could have won that case.

The real issue was not whether Ledford committed murder but rather whether he would be sentenced to the death penalty. Death penalty cases are extremely complicated and difficult to litigate, and Ledford's case was no different. Ledford's attorneys are some of the best in Georgia, and the team from the DA's office that handled the case did a great job. Contrary to your implication, the death penalty sentence imposed by the jury was not by any means easy.

Edited by Pigpen

I doubt it, Jimmy Berry would have chewed you up and spit you out.

Capital murder cases are tricky things ... I mean you can be as guilty as sin and still get off. Don't believe me, ask OJ.

I will say that my understanding of the issues with backlog in the Paulding district is hindered in no small part by the number of judges that can hear cases.

Finally, I'm a numbers guy and that is what is sorely lacking.

those challenging aren't saying much more than they did last time Drew Lane ran for the office. Have things changed since then? I'm sure they have 9in terms of backlogues) but rather than show that it has gotten better or worse, they just stick some soft jabs into the ether.

Oh, and Drew certainly could have come up with some numbers to establish that things have improved - possibly dramatically - but I guess no one will ever know.

Bottom line, what we now have are three guys running whom folks like feelip wonder who sucks least.

pubby

I doubt it, Jimmy Berry would have chewed you up and spit you out.

Capital murder cases are tricky things ... I mean you can be as guilty as sin and still get off. Don't believe me, ask OJ.

I will say that my understanding of the issues with backlog in the Paulding district is hindered in no small part by the number of judges that can hear cases.

Finally, I'm a numbers guy and that is what is sorely lacking.

those challenging aren't saying much more than they did last time Drew Lane ran for the office. Have things changed since then? I'm sure they have 9in terms of backlogues) but rather than show that it has gotten better or worse, they just stick some soft jabs into the ether.

Oh, and Drew certainly could have come up with some numbers to establish that things have improved - possibly dramatically - but I guess no one will ever know.

Bottom line, what we now have are three guys running whom folks like feelip wonder who sucks least.

pubby

I'm hoping something comes out soon to make my choice clear. Wait, who does Shearin support?

Isn't Plumley the lawyer that all the people who can't speak English go to get their alcohol licenses?

My opinion:

If Drew Lane has not been able to get things together in the DA's office since James Osborne was moved to Superior Court Judge, there is no hope for his numbers to get any better. If you are DA, YOU run your office, don't whine that the failures in your office aren't your fault. There have been way too many cases dead docketed (not brought to trial in time for convictions) for my comfort and it seems we've heard more crickets in criminal court than actual cases. Also, I believe he sat second seat in the Silver Comet case, which meant he had to be coached the entire way through that case because he couldn't actually try it (Pubby can probably check on that for clarification).

Dick Donovan is 64. He is either going to retire too soon to get things squared away in our DA's office or he really has his sights set on a Judge position; either way, he's not going to commit to Paulding County for long enough to get my vote. Also, isn't he a Defense Attorney and hasn't he mostly received support by Defense Attorney's in Cobb County? Is that like taking money from the enemy? Probably not, but that's how it seems. Much too pompous for me.

Plumley looks like the lesser of all evils in this race. But again, this is just my opinion. The fact that he manages liquor licences seems so random to be placed in this thread I'm still scratching my head over that comment. Hopefully Hee Haw has some type of point he can clarify for us otherwise I'm going to think his name implies that he is a jack*** :blink:

• Like 1

My opinion:

If Drew Lane has not been able to get things together in the DA's office since James Osborne was moved to Superior Court Judge, there is no hope for his numbers to get any better. If you are DA, YOU run your office, don't whine that the failures in your office aren't your fault. There have been way too many cases dead docketed (not brought to trial in time for convictions) for my comfort and it seems we've heard more crickets in criminal court than actual cases. Also, I believe he sat second seat in the Silver Comet case, which meant he had to be coached the entire way through that case because he couldn't actually try it (Pubby can probably check on that for clarification).

Dick Donovan is 64. He is either going to retire too soon to get things squared away in our DA's office or he really has his sights set on a Judge position; either way, he's not going to commit to Paulding County for long enough to get my vote. Also, isn't he a Defense Attorney and hasn't he mostly received support by Defense Attorney's in Cobb County? Is that like taking money from the enemy? Probably not, but that's how it seems. Much too pompous for me.

Plumley looks like the lesser of all evils in this race. But again, this is just my opinion. The fact that he manages liquor licences seems so random to be placed in this thread I'm still scratching my head over that comment. Hopefully Hee Haw has some type of point he can clarify for us otherwise I'm going to think his name implies that he is a jack*** blink.gif

I'm tending to agree with this post. I don't know Plumley, but given the other options, I am leaning towards giving the "new" guy a chance. He may take a little while to get his feet on the ground, but if he has what it takes and can surround himself with competent staff--or perhaps manage existing staff better, he will learn soon enough.

I'm tending to agree with this post. I don't know Plumley, but given the other options, I am leaning towards giving the "new" guy a chance. He may take a little while to get his feet on the ground, but if he has what it takes and can surround himself with competent staff--or perhaps manage existing staff better, he will learn soon enough.

Does anyone in the law field know if someone (Plumley) does not do criminal law, does he have to take another test for it? Can he practice it without having studied it? I am asking just because I know I would have to get certified in an area if I wanted to teach something beyond my current certification, does it work like this in the law field? TIA

I can't answer for 100% sure for law, but for CPA's we test for everything (four different tests) and we have to pass all four of them in order to be certified (along with at least 2000 hours of indentured servitude under another CPA)ph34r.gif . I think law is the same way. Once you pass the bar exam you don't have to do anything further except CPE's and registering with the state every year ....or two years...whatever the state requires for law. It's every two years for CPA's.

Does anyone in the law field know if someone (Plumley) does not do criminal law, does he have to take another test for it? Can he practice it without having studied it? I am asking just because I know I would have to get certified in an area if I wanted to teach something beyond my current certification, does it work like this in the law field? TIA

No, it doesn't work that way. Once you pass the state bar, you can practice in any field you wish. However, most lawyers tend to pick a specialty and stick with it (especially if they work in a large firm). Some courts may have special admission requirements (like with patents and trademarks), but you can pick or switch specialties at will.

HOWEVER, do you really want a person with limited criminal experience prosecuting death penalty cases?

No, it doesn't work that way. Once you pass the state bar, you can practice in any field you wish. However, most lawyers tend to pick a specialty and stick with it (especially if they work in a large firm). Some courts may have special admission requirements (like with patents and trademarks), but you can pick or switch specialties at will.

HOWEVER, do you really want a person with limited criminal experience prosecuting death penalty cases?

So who do you like in this race? I really can't figure out who sucks the least.

I can't answer for 100% sure for law, but for CPA's we test for everything (four different tests) and we have to pass all four of them in order to be certified (along with at least 2000 hours of indentured servitude under another CPA)ph34r.gif . I think law is the same way. Once you pass the bar exam you don't have to do anything further except CPE's and registering with the state every year ....or two years...whatever the state requires for law. It's every two years for CPA's.

THAT is exactly my sticking point with him. He sounds good, no bad things coming up except for the fact he has no criminal experience.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping you had to certify in a specialty.(At least then he could say he is doing or will be doing that and be "up to date" on the laws/cases.) Learning on the job is fine in most circumstances, not so much as the boss.

THAT is exactly my sticking point with him. He sounds good, no bad things coming up except for the fact he has no criminal experience.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping you had to certify in a specialty.(At least then he could say he is doing or will be doing that and be "up to date" on the laws/cases.) Learning on the job is fine in most circumstances, not so much as the boss.

This thread deserves some much needed clarification.

Chad does, in fact, have experience practicing criminal law and has done so since at least 2000. Like me, in addition to criminal law, he also practices civil litigation and handles corporate matters for clients. In fact, he practiced criminal law out of my law office back then, and we worked on cases together. He is very competent and quite intelligent, having also served on law review at his law school (which is highly selective of certain law students). He has also served as a Magistrate Court Judge for many years, which involves both civil and criminal matters. In fact, he has been a judge on criminal matters in which I represented the defendant. Since he is a Magistrate Court Judge, he is limited in practicing criminal law in Paulding Superior Court.

I hope that may be helpful to some.

• Like 3

Chad does, in fact, have experience practicing criminal law and has done so since at least 2000. Like me, in addition to criminal law, he also practices civil litigation and handles corporate matters for clients. In fact, he practiced criminal law out of my law office back then, and we worked on cases together. He is very competent and quite intelligent, having also served on law review at his law school (which is highly selective of certain law students). He has also served as a Magistrate Court Judge for many years, which involves both civil and criminal matters. In fact, he has been a judge on criminal matters in which I represented the defendant. Since he is a Magistrate Court Judge, he is limited in practicing criminal law in Paulding Superior Court.

Thanks for that info.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Would you mind answering a few things? First a Magistrate Judge does not have to be a lawyer or anything but a resident and hold a high school diploma, is this correct? I just ask because it has been brought up a couple times, yet I do not see how (if my info is correct) this is a major point in this race. You might be able to give me that reason. :)

He has practiced, but does not specialize in criminal law? I can only go by what he has on his website and I did not see anywhere anything about criminal law. (maybe I missed it?)

I appreciate your responses. This race has been really up in the air for many. As stated prior, the only thing I have "heard" about him was good. I just was a little skeptical about him not having criminal experience. Thanks for clearing that up!!

Bellaprincess, you ask such good questions!! :yahoo: :yahoo: I appreciate what pigpen has added as well. (whew!!) I think what he is saying that as a magistrate judge he cannot represent people on criminal cases. He has worked on criminal cases before, just not recently. Is that correct??

Bellaprincess, you ask such good questions!! yahoo.gif yahoo.gif I appreciate what pigpen has added as well. (whew!!) I think what he is saying that as a magistrate judge he cannot represent people on criminal cases. He has worked on criminal cases before, just not recently. Is that correct??

Not entirely accurate. He must represent in Superior Court. As to the remainder, I'm not sure. I had heard that he began his career as an assistant DA.

BTW, If we are using the "court performance" as a yardstick (as you've indicated with Donovan), have you observed the other 2 candidates in court?

Not entirely accurate. He must represent in Superior Court. As to the remainder, I'm not sure. I had heard that he began his career as an assistant DA.

BTW, If we are using the "court performance" as a yardstick (as you've indicated with Donovan), have you observed the other 2 candidates in court?

Yes I have as a matter of fact. One as an attorney and the other as an attorney and magistrate judge. My experience with Drew Lane was about 15 years ago, as I said he is a very nice person and compassionate. Chad Plumley is a professional and very even tempered. I spend entirely too much time in a courtroom. :lol:

I've seen Lane in action - I wasn't impressed.

Would you mind answering a few things? First a Magistrate Judge does not have to be a lawyer or anything but a resident and hold a high school diploma, is this correct? I just ask because it has been brought up a couple times, yet I do not see how (if my info is correct) this is a major point in this race. You might be able to give me that reason. :)

He has practiced, but does not specialize in criminal law? I can only go by what he has on his website and I did not see anywhere anything about criminal law. (maybe I missed it?)

I appreciate your responses. This race has been really up in the air for many. As stated prior, the only thing I have "heard" about him was good. I just was a little skeptical about him not having criminal experience. Thanks for clearing that up!!

My understanding is that Magistrate judges do not have to be licensed to practice law, but that individual counties can enact local laws requiring that such judges be attorneys.

As far as specializing is concerned, attorneys in more rural areas rarely "specialize" in one area, mainly because the market can't justify it. I only know of one attorney in Paulding County who truly specializes in one area of law. I've never heard Chad hold himself out as a specialist in any area of law, although he is certainly qualified to practice many different areas.

I know all three candidates and am closest to Chad on a personal level, but all three are qualified to be DA.

Naturegirl: you are correct that a Paulding magistrate court judge cannot practice criminal law in Paulding Superior Court, as it would likely be a conflict of interest. However, a magistrate judge can practice in other courts, such as municipal (City of Dallas of City of Hiram) or probate court, provided the magistrate court did not issue a warrant for the defendant's arrest.

Edited by Pigpen

My understanding is that Magistrate judges do not have to be licensed to practice law, but that individual counties can enact local laws requiring that such judges be attorneys.

As far as specializing is concerned, attorneys in more rural areas rarely "specialize" in one area, mainly because the market can't justify it. I only know of one attorney in Paulding County who truly specializes in one area of law. I've never heard Chad hold himself out as a specialist in any area of law, although he is certainly qualified to practice many different areas.

I know all three candidates and am closest to Chad on a personal level, but all three are qualified to be DA.

Naturegirl: you are correct that a Paulding magistrate court judge cannot practice criminal law in Paulding Superior Court, as it would likely be a conflict of interest. However, a magistrate judge can practice in other courts, such as municipal (City of Dallas of City of Hiram) or probate court, provided the magistrate court did not issue a warrant for the defendant's arrest.

Thank you. I sincerely appreciate someone giving me facts and while even being close to one letting me know all are qualified. :good:

Do you think a new DA can get rid of the backlog of cases that Paulding has, or is that just how it is and will be out here? I know they all can promise to do so, but is it feasible?

I still wish they would have went head to head on a debate. It would be fantastic to see them all in that atmosphere!

Bellaprincess, you ask such good questions!! :yahoo: :yahoo: I appreciate what pigpen has added as well. (whew!!) I think what he is saying that as a magistrate judge he cannot represent people on criminal cases. He has worked on criminal cases before, just not recently. Is that correct??

Thanks NG. I hope to not sound like an idiot all the time, but I figure if I don't know, ask. LOL :rofl:

Can't believe no one has started a thread about this one. Last election this seemed to be a hot topic. I am familiar with all three candidates and have a question specifically for deadeye aka Dick Donovan. Could you please tell us why you left Paulding County and moved your practice to Douglas County??

You have been very vocal in another thread about a specific case, now can you give us some specifics about yourself??

Actually, I wasn't specific about the case, but replied only to the slanderous remarks. The particulars of the case are a matter of public record, and I have divulged nothing of any client confidences, about which I am always very careful, as all lawyers should be.

As to why i moved my office to Douglasville, a very good friend, with whom I attended law school (he went to law school after he retired from 30 years in the army) sold me the office building he owned in downtown Douglasville for the same price he paid for it - ten dollars, and take up the note. Turns out the building had belonged to great uncles and cousins of my wife's (Judge A. Lafayette Bartlett, Ruth Bartlett Hudgins) I was able to move my office there while maintaining my practice in Cobb, Paulding and Douglas. It doesn't matter where the office is if what you need me for is to go to court with you. I live, of course, in Paulding, and drive to whichever court in which I am to appear that morning.

As to specifics about myself, check the website: DonovanforDA.com - it's all there.

D. Donovan

I would love to see them in a debate!! I think that would help me make up my mind. :clapping: Good idea!

Maybe if they saw all the on the fence posts around here they could be persuaded to do one.

Check the local access channel on Comcast (16) - our "debate" from two weeks ago is on there.

DD

• Like 1

Actually, I wasn't specific about the case, but replied only to the slanderous remarks. The particulars of the case are a matter of public record, and I have divulged nothing of any client confidences, about which I am always very careful, as all lawyers should be.

As to why i moved my office to Douglasville, a very good friend, with whom I attended law school (he went to law school after he retired from 30 years in the army) sold me the office building he owned in downtown Douglasville for the same price he paid for it - ten dollars, and take up the note. Turns out the building had belonged to great uncles and cousins of my wife's (Judge A. Lafayette Bartlett, Ruth Bartlett Hudgins) I was able to move my office there while maintaining my practice in Cobb, Paulding and Douglas. It doesn't matter where the office is if what you need me for is to go to court with you. I live, of course, in Paulding, and drive to whichever court in which I am to appear that morning.

As to specifics about myself, check the website: DonovanforDA.com - it's all there.

D. Donovan

I didn't say you were specific about a case, I said you "were vocal about a specific case". Nice deal on the building. ;)

Check the local access channel on Comcast (16) - our "debate" from two weeks ago is on there.

DD

I don't get comcast. :unsure:

I didn't say you were specific about a case, I said you "were vocal about a specific case". Nice deal on the building. ;)

Keep in mind I took up the note for $260,000.00 so it's not like I just sat back and lived rent free. I still pay rent and right now with half the building vacant that note looms large every month. But you'r right, it was a very nice gesture by a good friend.

DD

Edited by deadeye

Same here. When was this debate? Was it just a private debate to be aired or was the public there? I guess I need to get local papers during the elections cause I seem to be missing much! :(

Does anyone know if you can get online and see this?

Deadeye~ For that deal I would have moved too! :)