Paulding.com

Paulding Co Animal Control ~ no longer rescue friendly.

I read your post and then reread it just to be sure I understood what you were saying. I am in no way trying to side with the owner and if my animal went missing I would be running everywhere to get the information out that my animal was missing. All I'm saying is that when an animal is micro chipped although it may be a PITA, with a little effort the owner (or at least a contact) can be located. Again, we don't know the actual circumstances as to why the owner did not go to the shelter to file a lost animal report. I mean, were they out of town? So both the shelter and the rescue knew the animal was micro chipped and it took a third party to intercede to recover the animal to its owner.

So far so good?

There was no third party?

The way it works: If an animal is picked up as a stray, the owner has 72 hrs to recover their pet. IF the pet is chipped, which in this case she was, the AC employee will trace that chip. This employee spent 4 days trying to find this owner's contact info. NOONE dropped the ball here, the issue is that after the 72 hours, the dog was free to leave by whatever means available. That could mean euthansia, adoption, or rescue.

The law only requires that a stray be held for 72 hrs. This dog was pulled from an UNVACCINATED shelter environment during parvo season.

The rescue was MORE than willing to attempt to re-unite this pet with her owner.

The interest for all involved is to get these pets home. Or into new homes if possible. It was NEVER the intention of the rescue to keep an owned animal if the owner had been located.

This is not the only issue.

why did ALL 4 dogs have to be returned?? ((And when I re-read Jason's comments, it does sound like it's all 13 that had to be returned, that's not the case, it was only the 4 from Friday so far))

If someone was interested in a puppy, there were other puppies available on Saturday's adoption day, THOSE puppies went back to the shelter unadopted also.

Edited by shelterpetsrock!

That's very true.

There are purebred only rescues for all types of breeds.

There are mix breed resuces for all types of mixes.

There are dog only rescues.

There are cat only rescues.

There are horse rescues.

There are reptile rescues.

There are rescues that take in the seriously injured and spend thousands per pet.

There are rescues that take in highly adoptable so they can have room to rescue more often.

There are those that do it from home, those that have big barns.

There are rescues in all shapes and sizes - but they all have the same goal. That's to get them out ALIVE.

http://spotsociety.org/atl_shelter_list.htm

This is my FAVORITE list!

That's very true.

There are purebred only rescues for all types of breeds.

There are mix breed resuces for all types of mixes.

There are dog only rescues.

There are cat only rescues.

There are horse rescues.

There are reptile rescues.

There are rescues that take in the seriously injured and spend thousands per pet.

There are rescues that take in highly adoptable so they can have room to rescue more often.

There are those that do it from home, those that have big barns.

There are rescues in all shapes and sizes - but they all have the same goal. That's to get them out ALIVE.

http://spotsociety.org/atl_shelter_list.htm

This is my FAVORITE list!

And there are ones who cherry pick only the dogs and cats they know they can turn over for a higher amount than the shelter would get. The shelter ends up with animals that are harder to find homes for and the kill rates go up. Some resuces in one breath will turn down a dog that is in desperate need and then tell someone NOT to give away their full blooded dog but to give it to them because after all they are the only ones who can find(for a price) the "right" home. They have room only for the "right" dogs..not the ones who really need to be "rescued". Yep there are all kinds and Thank God 99% are good ones.

• Like 1

There was no third party?

The way it works: If an animal is picked up as a stray, the owner has 72 hrs to recover their pet. IF the pet is chipped, which in this case she was, the AC employee will trace that chip. This employee spent 4 days trying to find this owner's contact info. NOONE dropped the ball here, the issue is that after the 72 hours, the dog was free to leave by whatever means available. That could mean euthansia, adoption, or rescue.

The law only requires that a stray be held for 72 hrs. This dog was pulled from an UNVACCINATED shelter environment during parvo season.

The rescue was MORE than willing to attempt to re-unite this pet with her owner.

The interest for all involved is to get these pets home. Or into new homes if possible. It was NEVER the intention of the rescue to keep an owned animal if the owner had been located.

This is not the only issue.

why did ALL 4 dogs have to be returned?? ((And when I re-read Jason's comments, it does sound like it's all 13 that had to be returned, that's not the case, it was only the 4 from Friday so far))

As far as the shelter being unvaccinated, heck the shelter was closed down recently because of Parvo and I can remember going up there to deliver a Hugh bags of toys (from Tabbycat) and at the time the shelter was under a Parvo alert so Parvo, at that facility is nothing new. Would I rather the animals be vaccinated? Absolutely. Is it the responsibility of the shelter to vaccinate? Not sure on that one.

If someone was interested in a puppy, there were other puppies available on Saturday's adoption day, THOSE puppies went back to the shelter unadopted also.

By third party I meant the new Marshall and/or staff. Look, I have no bone to pick with you in fact anyone I have met from the shelter have struck me as very nice people. It seems to me that the new people were brought in because the "old" system was not working. It always struck me as odd that it would cost 100.00 to adopt a pet anyway. I mean maybe its like that everywhere but it just seems high. It also stuck me as odd the high prices on some of the dogs that I have seen at the petsmart adoptions which were held by a rescue. I have a dog that I got from the pound here it Paulding (a mixed breed) and I would not part with her for anything but she came home sick and I knew she was sick when I got her. Lots of puppies go home sick from a shelter setting.

As far as the shelter being unvaccinated, heck the shelter was closed down recently because of Parvo and I can remember going up there to deliver a huge bag of toys (from Tabbycat) and at the time the shelter was under a Parvo alert so Parvo, at that facility is nothing new. Would I rather the animals be vaccinated? Absolutely. Is it the responsibility of the shelter to vaccinate? Not sure on that one.

Honestly, my take on this is that an "old guard" has been replaced by a "new guard" and there are some that don't like it and their supporters will take a bullet to show their support but, at the end of the day I wonder if its the people that they are supporting and not so much the animals. Animal shelters as well as animals rescues are a touchy business and because of this there is no way I could be involved in one. Way too heartbreaking. If the old way did not work, I would think that a new way would be welcomed. You are not going to fight and win anyway.

Please go back and read Pubby's excellent post.

I think he nailed it.

There have not been any issues or problems given for the change, other than an out of control rat problem that is not being disputed.

Noone is against change if it's for the better. Is this change simply for the sake of change?

As pubby stated: Can anyone justify these changes?

As far as the adoption fees, the $70/cat or $100/dog fees can be broken down depending on the specific pet, but I assure you, there is no

large profit. There are many times that money is lost. ALL adoption fees cover vet expenses & microchipping & vaccinations.

As for rescue prices, most rescues fully vet their pets before putting them up for adoption.

To address the shelter being closed due to a parvo issue, this is not the case. The shelter was closed in January due to a rare outbreak of strep zoo. Only seen in a few other shelters. NY and Penn are the only other two that I know of.

Parvo is always a possiblity in any shelter, this being a major motivator in getting dogs out of the shelter environment as soon as possible.

Anyone who really wants to know what is going on only has to ask. I will say I found talking with Capt. LeHolm very informative. She answered all my questions and I have to say I was not surprised by her answers at all. They have a hard job to do and I for one wish them all the luck in the world and I will be more than glad to help her in any way I can. I really hope all this back stabbing will stop soon and we can get on with the important thing which is the animals.

• Like 1

Anyone who really wants to know what is going on only has to ask. I will say I found talking with Capt. LeHolm very informative. She answered all my questions and I have to say I was not surprised by her answers at all. They have a hard job to do and I for one wish them all the luck in the world and I will be more than glad to help her in any way I can. I really hope all this back stabbing will stop soon and we can get on with the important thing which is the animals.

:good: :good:

• Like 1

I, for one, wish that one could trust the information given by a county official.

I find it hard to believe that one can dispute the facts.

Rescues being scared off is just another nail in the coffin of what once was a very humanely run Animal Control facility.

I, for one, wish that one could trust the information given by a pet rescue.

• Like 1

I, for one, wish that one could trust the information given by a county official.

I find it hard to believe that one can dispute the facts.

Rescues being scared off is just another nail in the coffin of what once was a very humanely run Animal Control facility.

You are who I founnd hard to believe.Now I KNOW not to believe you. Strange how even before she told me what was going on I already knew.Why do you not stop working so hard against the animals IF you really are all about helping them????? If you spent even half the time you do tring to start crap so that you and your friends can feel better maybe...just maybe we could make things better. SO which is it going to be???? your "friends"?????? or the animals????????????????? Go on and tell us all just what is more important to you.

• Like 2

Do you have a written transcript or recording of the conversation? I would love to hear the questions asked and answers given. That may help provide the information that so many want to know.

• Like 1

You are who I founnd hard to believe.Now I KNOW not to believe you. Strange how even before she told me what was going on I already knew.Why do you not stop working so hard against the animals IF you really are all about helping them????? If you spent even half the time you do tring to start crap so that you and your friends can feel better maybe...just maybe we could make things better. SO which is it going to be???? your "friends"?????? or the animals????????????????? Go on and tell us all just what is more important to you.

I'm sorry solo, but I will not respond to personal attacks.

I'm sorry solo, but I will not respond to personal attacks.

No you will just deal them out right?

Do you have a written transcript or recording of the conversation? I would love to hear the questions asked and answers given. That may help provide the information that so many want to know.

Sorry should have thought to do that... I meant dang every other call I make I do that for..

But you know you can do the same thing I did and ASK.Really really simple...sent one email and shortly there after I got a phone call...WOW see how SIMPLE it is?

No you will just deal them out right?

You were given the information that you wanted to hear. If you choose to believe that, it's your choice.

The welfare of the animals has always been the number one concern for all animal rescue groups in the area who have been working with the Paulding shelter.

I think it's wonderful that you were given REASONS for these changes. Would you mind sharing them with the rest of us who have tried repeatly to get answers but come out empty handed?

Edited by shelterpetsrock!

Sorry should have thought to do that... I meant dang every other call I make I do that for..

But you know you can do the same thing I did and ASK.Really really simple...sent one email and shortly there after I got a phone call...WOW see how SIMPLE it is?

... but what is that supposed to mean?

You asked some questions and got answers, so post them. There are a lot of questions flying and a lot of different answers presented which are posted & put here, why not yours?

Yes I know I can call/email questions/get answers -- but why should I bother someone who has already answered the questions being asked?

• Like 2

This thread proves there needs to be further dialogue between all entities: PHS, Rescues, PAC and the caring public.

Hard questions need to be asked and direct answers need to be given, else there's just going to be more misunderstanding and more scratching of those heads.wink.gif

Also, this isn't endemic to just Paulding County. It's happening all over the US.

PHS, Rescues and PAC's "symbiosis" was a model for other animal welfare organizations to emulate. It's sad that no "common ground" could be reached for it to continue.

CR

Wow, as little as I am on PCOM I always seem to find the most colorful threads.

I have adopted two dogs from the shelter in the past few years. The second one was being held on an abuse charge. Yes she is a Pit Bull that was abused by a local man who had done unspeakable things to the dogs entrusted to his care. We saw her on a visit to the shelter and she picked us to be her family. We waited 5 months to get her. The courts had to release her for adoption as she sadly was "evidence".

We frequented the shelter looking for dogs to adopt (3 is now enough)and give a home to. I choose to go to the Paulding Shelter because of it's more humane practices. Cobb & Polk Counties will not adopt out Pit Bulls. If a rescue is not found they are eufanized.

I have not been to the shelter and reading this is the only info I have. I will become better informed from the source but it does sadden me that they closed the facility to fix the physical issues and from what I understand, very little preparation was made to partner with outside rescues to take the dogs/cats in the interim.

If you have not noticed IT IS AN ELECTION YEAR! As with any political game, all available pawns will be used to advance someones platform. I certainly hope this is not the case in Paulding but unfortunately it may be. How about ruffling some feathers by contacting those in office and those running for office to find out their stand on the shelter??? The only way to force change is by being an informed voter.

I am sure that animal shelter employees are not high paid nor is it a glamorous job so I am banking on the employees being there because they love the animals and have their best interest at heart.

I wish I had a rescue.....one day my friends!

• Like 1

Changes are taking place at the Shelter, as we all know.

Paulding Humane Society and Paulding County Animal Control are continuing to work together.

Let's do try to give things a chance, for the benefit of the animals.

On a slightly different note, there is a Special Adoption Day coming up this Saturday, June 26th has been cancelled (updated June 24th.)

I have adopted two dogs from the shelter in the past few years. The second one was being held on an abuse charge. Yes she is a Pit Bull that was abused by a local man who had done unspeakable things to the dogs entrusted to his care. We saw her on a visit to the shelter and she picked us to be her family. We waited 5 months to get her. The courts had to release her for adoption as she sadly was "evidence".

We frequented the shelter looking for dogs to adopt (3 is now enough)and give a home to. I choose to go to the Paulding Shelter because of it's more humane practices. Cobb & Polk Counties will not adopt out Pit Bulls. If a rescue is not found they are eufanized.

I have not been to the shelter and reading this is the only info I have. I will become better informed from the source but it does sadden me that they closed the facility to fix the physical issues and from what I understand, very little preparation was made to partner with outside rescues to take the dogs/cats in the interim.

If you have not noticed IT IS AN ELECTION YEAR! As with any political game, all available pawns will be used to advance someones platform. I certainly hope this is not the case in Paulding but unfortunately it may be. How about ruffling some feathers by contacting those in office and those running for office to find out their stand on the shelter??? The only way to force change is by being an informed v

I am sure that animal shelter employees are not high paid nor is it a glamorous job so I am banking on the employees being there because they love the animals and have their best interest at heart.

If you have not noticed IT IS AN ELECTION YEAR! As with any political game, all available pawns will be used to advance someones platform. I certainly hope this is not the case in Paulding but unfortunately it may be. How about ruffling some feathers by contacting those in office and those running for office to find out their stand on the shelter??? The only way to force change is by being an informed voter.

Do any of you know how bad the shelter manager had let the shelter get? I don't think so if you did you would know that the county is having to spend 50'000.00+.to fix the shelter the RAT problem had been there for over three years.Info was given to The head of Human Resources and the county Administratora long time ago!!! So if you think it is the marshals you are wrong. The two that dropped the ball were Brian Acker and Mike Jones!!!!

Wow.....I'm as confused as everyone else on the situation at the shelter but just to add to the confusion at hand I need to ask why are you so angry? I mean, if your intentions were to help the animals why stop?

And just as an aside, if my microchipped animal was picked up and then adopted out I would want some answers too.

Sorry, just now getting back in this topic. I will chose to support animals in other ways than at our local shelter. The shelter is putting these animals in a AWFUL predicimate. One should not be incharge of a shelter/rescue/vet or whatever if their HEART isn't it. This is more than a power trip job! As far as what rescue, it really doesn't matter, I believe it has been more than just one to recently have problems.

As far as your "side note". Legally, a dog must be held for 72 hours, before being "placed" for the public to adopt. If a owner truly cares about their dog, they would be calling, LM or going to a shelter looking for the animal...3 days, and not one call or inquiry came in about the dog (actualy over 3 days, by this time)...legally, the owner "forfited" their rights to the animal. Also, although the dog was microchipped, they never "cared" enough to REGISTER the dog, so they could be traced down...so, tere would be no "answers" to give. As far as I'm concerned, that isn't a good owner.

• Like 1

Funny how there is always 2 sides to a story "his", "hers" and the truth. You are going by what was TOLD to you. Perhaps you are not being told the WHOLE truth?

Shelterpetsrock ~ let it go...there are some of us who KNOW for FACT what is going on. Others will find out in time who is the "good" and who is the "bad".

• Like 1

I actually just heard some disturbing news about the shelter's new policies that I am fully disgusted by. As far as if it is truth or not is another story. I have spoken with a few rescue groups that I knew adopted out of Paulding before and from what I understand they feel as though they have received the cold shoulder.

Honestly let's look at what is best for the animals and to control the animal population...

1. Adopt out un-vetted animals (i.e. no spay or neuter) for $20 to whoever has the money...

2. Get the animals vetted, and adopted to screened individuals for a larger fee

I wonder what is going to happen to those animals adopted out who have not been "fixed," and with our local shelter wanting to have 20% of their runs empty at all times without "coupling" agreeable animals (even if they come in together), I wonder how high our termination rate is going to increase then... and if the shelter should be kept so empty then why not let rescues come and pull who will fully vet the animals...

Just a few questions we should be asking ourselves... and those who are taking over, I would like to know what half truths are being told, what are rumors, and what actual fact there is. All I know right now to be truth is those who used to be in charge would respond to calls about animals in danger, now nothing... not even a second thought to the calls I know were placed.

I wonder what ever happened to that beagle that had an injured leg at Taylor Farm, I know I was there with it for three hours trying to get animal control out there, I was unable to care for the poor thing myself and left it in the care of someone who seemed confident they could help it and a companion beagle that was there as well. If anyone knows anything about the two dogs I would be grateful for any information, because when I tried to get animal control they sure couldn't have cared less from what I witnessed. (I could go into further detail but that would be a new post)

So again I ask, is this change really for the good of the animals? or is it to line someone's pockets?

• Like 1

First, what qualifications does a person or organization need to have to be a 'rescue'? What permits, inspections, etc?

Second - on the adopting out of unveted pets - when we adopted our dog, we had 30 days to have her 'fixed' and provide proof or a bench warrant would have been issued. Has this been changed?

First, what qualifications does a person or organization need to have to be a 'rescue'? What permits, inspections, etc?

Second - on the adopting out of unveted pets - when we adopted our dog, we had 30 days to have her 'fixed' and provide proof or a bench warrant would have been issued. Has this been changed?

My SIL got a dog for my daughter 4 years ago, they had it 10 days and it died, the vet believed that it ate some poisonous plant. They buried it and contacted animal control.

11 months later, after getting another dog from the same shelter, my SIL was arrested for not having the dead dog fixed. It was 5 pm om a Friday afternoon and we had to scramble to find the $1000.00 to get the bail paid so he could come home. It was horrible and scary. The deputies that had arrested him were outside the jail when we finally got him out late that night and told him that they were embarrassed to have arrested him and that they were sorry.

After wrangling for 2 months, when he finally went to court, the lawyer for Paulding county told the RABID woman at the shelter who had had him arrested in the first place that the charges needed to be dropped because you can't have a dead dog operated on, the judge agreed and apologized.

We had our money back the next day.

So, that has been the case in the past, maybe it's different now. That is the reason I don't hold the old regime in too high a regard.

Edited by momof 3
:yahoo: I sure do love all the drama on here about the changes at Animal Control. But I finally have to comment.. All I can say is that things are not as they seem to be according to all the posts and complaints I'm reading. Before you make your decision on Animal Control, please disregard everything you are reading here, get an open mind.. and wait. As you can probably tell, the ones that have the problems, were not willing to make the changes to better the Animal Control operation. The ones that are still working there with the changes, have the love and compassion for the animals to ensure that they are given the best possible chance for placement. I just feel that everyone needs to wait before you pass judgement on the situation. But there are those that just want to keep it all an uproar. Lets stop with all the complaining, before the end result. For all of you Animal Control employees and Leann, you have my upmost support in what you are doing to better the conditions at the Animal Control Facility. :clapping: And Yes.. I do know what is going on.. ;)
  • Like 2

I do have one question - I can't help but wander - Was the rat problem they had due to the folks who wanted to run a 'no kill' facility trying to re-home the rodents?

There were 2500 animals euthanized in 2009 and here are the March 2010 figures Animal Control March

The humane society and the former manager never tried to be no kill if you will look at the numbers they've always posted. They just tried to take care of animals the best they could while there and find a place for them to go if they could.

The rat problem was reported and the county exterminator came many times.

Edited by benji

My SIL got a dog for my daughter 4 years ago, they had it 10 days and it died, the vet believed that it ate some poisonous plant. They buried it and contacted animal control.

11 months later, after getting another dog from the same shelter, my SIL was arrested for not having the dead dog fixed. It was 5 pm om a Friday afternoon and we had to scramble to find the $1000.00 to get the bail paid so he could come home. It was horrible and scary. The deputies that had arrested him were outside the jail when we finally got him out late that night and told him that they were embarrassed to have arrested him and that they were sorry.

After wrangling for 2 months, when he finally went to court, the lawyer for Paulding county told the RABID woman at the shelter who had had him arrested in the first place that the charges needed to be dropped because you can't have a dead dog operated on, the judge agreed and apologized.

We had our money back the next day.

So, that has been the case in the past, maybe it's different now. That is the reason I don't hold the old regime in too high a regard.

Really? I adopted a kitten from A/C and got her fixed through CatSnip. I was told they (CatSnip) would transfer the paperwork to the shelter. Long story short, the paperwork never got transfered and I got not one, but two calls from Animal Conrol asking for the proof the kitten had been fixed. Same happened w/ a dog that I had adopted, I got a call (which, was my fault). I, personally, find it hard to beleive that they made no call, no contact and just put out a warrant for their arrest. I don't know the policy, I just know what happened in my cases.

Now, I do have to say, that, I had a neighbor (piece of work, let me tell you)...she adopted a dog (Cobb County) and they called her becuase her "30 days" was up. She told them that the dog ran away, and was no longer in her posession :mellow: ...she got out of fixing the animal that way <_< I'm sure this happens more often than not...I think that EVERY animal should leave the shelter fixed, not given a 30 day grace period.

When I was little, we adopted a dog from the SPCA (up North)...once we picked out the dog, we paid for the dog, along with the price of the neuter and could not have the dog until the neuter was done. Guess that's why there isn't a population problem in the north with animals.

As far as operating a rescue, I believe you must have 4 or 5 acres of land (I think it may have to be zoned agricultural even), be registered (don't know if that's the terminology) with DOA (and they show up, with no notice for inspections) and I also beleive you must have a license with Paulding County. Not just anyone can run a legal rescue...there is alot of fine lines.

Also, as far as rat problems, when you are near fields and have lots of food sitting around, you will have rats. I know of a local store (won't name names) that has rats in it, do to the enormous amounts of food sitting around. :pardon:

ETA: Good link to read: http://agr.georgia.gov/portal/site/AGR/menuitem.e7c8b12cf855c247cfaed580da1020a0/?vgnextoid=66cd733860a06210VgnVCM100000bf01020aRCRD

Edited by P.C. Shopper
  • Like 1

When I was little, we adopted a dog from the SPCA (up North)...once we picked out the dog, we paid for the dog, along with the price of the neuter and could not have the dog until the neuter was done. Guess that's why there isn't a population problem in the north with animals.

I know of a local store (won't name names) that has rats in it, do to the enormous amounts of food sitting around. :pardon:

I had to do the same thing when I adopted my dog in California. I also know of a local grocery store with rats. It is part of a major chain and they have several locations in Paulding.

Do any of you know how bad the shelter manager had let the shelter get? I don't think so if you did you would know that the county is having to spend 50'000.00+.to fix the shelter the RAT problem had been there for over three years.Info was given to The head of Human Resources and the county Administratora long time ago!!! So if you think it is the marshals you are wrong. The two that dropped the ball were Brian Acker and Mike Jones!!!!

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think the shelter manager reports to the human resources manager. Seems more like they report to the county manager.

Care to share?