Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
AustinPlantation

Homemade business signs banned in county

I don't have a business, but I saw this in today's AJC, and wondered about exactly what it meant?

Does it mean drawing "50% off" in your store window with paint?

I thought business sigs on the roadway were already banned.

Homemade business signs banned in county

Homemade business signs are now outlawed in Paulding County, the Board of Commissioners unanimously agreed Tuesday. Such signs have to be removed within 90 days.

Temporary signs, such as for yard sales, would be an exception.

Commission Chairman David Austin stressed the importance of updating the county’s sign ordinances before the first economic development director is recruited and hired later this year by the Paulding Chamber’s Economic Development Organization.

If there is an exception for temporary signs, I would think window markers would be ok.

Here's an interesting question....

Can a sign company legally make their own sign?? If the law reads like its explained here, then technically if a sign company manufacturers their own sign it would be "homemade" and thus, illegal.

Commission Chairman David Austin stressed the importance of updating the county’s sign ordinances before the first economic development director is recruited and hired later this year by the Paulding Chamber’s Economic Development Organization.

I find that line fascinating:

(1) The county couldn't pay this guy minimum wage right now, so it's not like we are going to get world class talent. I mean really.

(2) The county couldn't get some minimum wage guy to take the job if he saw a sign on the road in Magic Marker while he was driving through in his 1990 Yugo?

the importance of updating the county’s sign ordinances

Why not enforce the current ordinances prior to debating on updating them? This is a joke!! Although is could be Hirams city limits under there control but two or three signs between 92 & W. Hiram Pkwy on 278 looks like a future Vegas strip with all the scrolling banners

I would like just the regular law enforced... including the permanent signs on the county frontage that are not supposed to be there.

I really hate the jail bond signs that are on county property.

People with signs would hate me.... illegal... down and in a dumpster...

I always thought they made the intersections look trashy. I never really had a problem with yard sale signs as long as they are removed, but the business signs are bad, not to mention kind of funny. I always laugh when I read a sign telling me that they will buy my home for cash, they are experts etc etc etc. I started thinking a long time ago, " They couldn't afford to even go to a print shop and have a d-- sign made, they had to go get poster board and a sharpie from Office Depot to inform me." So I'm looking at a wet poster board sign that's telling me how they have all of this cash to buy my home that's written with a sharpie, riggghhhhttt. Or even the ones that want to have me work at home and make tons of money, yeah so I too can advertise with yellow cardboard signs and magic markers? So funny, tear em down and throw them away, it's an eye sore.

I always thought they made the intersections look trashy. I never really had a problem with yard sale signs as long as they are removed, but the business signs are bad, not to mention kind of funny. I always laugh when I read a sign telling me that they will buy my home for cash, they are experts etc etc etc. I started thinking a long time ago, " They couldn't afford to even go to a print shop and have a d-- sign made, they had to go get poster board and a sharpie from Office Depot to inform me." So I'm looking at a wet poster board sign that's telling me how they have all of this cash to buy my home that's written with a sharpie, riggghhhhttt. Or even the ones that want to have me work at home and make tons of money, yeah so I too can advertise with yellow cardboard signs and magic markers? So funny, tear em down and throw them away, it's an eye sore.

I agree with you completely. Imagine if EVERY business in Paulding County used the "free advertising" at every intersection. What a mess that would be. Legit companies pay to advertise in the newspaper, on PCOM, or by making donations to sports groups, etc.

I always laugh when I read a sign telling me that they will buy my home for cash, they are experts etc etc etc. I started thinking a long time ago, " They couldn't afford to even go to a print shop and have a d-- sign made, they had to go get poster board and a sharpie from Office Depot to inform me."

And they usually have a spelling error :lol:

I stopped putting up directional signs pointing to my listings ages ago. Directionals are helpful for people trying to find a listing that's off the main road. Now that most people have GPS units, it's not as effective as it once was. But even before that, I ditched them because even if they were out on the right days and in the correct places they were still removed. Sometimes the county (not just Paulding) would simply run the bush hog over them if they were mowing.