Paulding.com

Just WHY? is Beverly Cochran running for the Post 2 Commission Seat ?

Ya know folks these people running for office are true patriots,they under go hard shots from anybody and everybody. Now I think Beverly is a nice person she has worked hard and would do a great job. Now Todd has experience and would work very hard,he deserves it because he has worked very hard for other canidates. Adam is a great family man and works for the children of our community. He has a business and very dedicated family man.

The reason most canidates don't come on here is due to all the sharp attacks. It's easy to take aim at people who are trying to make a difference,imagine what these people are going through.Even there family suffers the cruel and sharp attacks.

Now go to the greet and meets and face these people one on one. But this election has been clean so far because none have attacked each other.

Now let's drink to that :drinks:

:drinks: That is true and I hope it stays that way! :)

You also made a very valid point that the attacks do impact not only the candidates, but their friends and family too. :( I do not know any of the candidates personally (yet!) and I feel really bad for some of them.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is becoming quite comical isn't it? Surepip just keeps on "digging that hole" a little deeper and deeper - isn't there a song about that? What goes around, comes around..........

Of course they turned you down. Look how you act.

Newly elected and/or appointed politicians generally bring in their own staff.   Those who were working for the previous administration have no job security once the new officials take office. The

One more time...Beverly had a CONTRACT...it doesn't matter how she got it, she had a contract signed by David.

When a contract is broken, there is compension due to the affected party. It is plain and simple and such cases go to court all the time when contracts are broken.

I'd like to see some of you naysayers who are moaning and groaning go and create a contract with another party that involves anything and then they break it. What would you do? I know what you would.

This is so stupid it is pathetic. :wacko:

A contract is a contract, period.

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I made my decision.....not gonna vote for her!

Based on what you read here by vindictive democrats?

One more time...Beverly had a CONTRACT...it doesn't matter how she got it, she had a contract signed by David.

When a contract is broken, there is compension due to the affected party. It is plain and simple and such cases go to court all the time when contracts are broken.

I'd like to see some of you naysayers who are moaning and groaning go and create a contract with another party that involves anything and then they break it. What would you do? I know what you would.

I keep asking that, but no one will answer. I think Surpip must have me on ignore! LOL.. Oh well.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

It looks like she got a sweet deal on her way out the door.... Why didn't all the folks who got laid off from the water system or the school system get a similar deal? I WON"T be voting for her.

Because SHE had a contract, duh. :rolleyes:

Ya know folks these people running for office are true patriots,they under go hard shots from anybody and everybody. Now I think Beverly is a nice person she has worked hard and would do a great job. Now Todd has experience and would work very hard,he deserves it because he has worked very hard for other canidates. Adam is a great family man and works for the children of our community. He has a business and very dedicated family man.

The reason most canidates don't come on here is due to all the sharp attacks. It's easy to take aim at people who are trying to make a difference,imagine what these people are going through.Even there family suffers the cruel and sharp attacks.

Now go to the greet and meets and face these people one on one. But this election has been clean so far because none have attacked each other.

Now let's drink to that drinks.gif

Well said!!!!drinks.gif

Yes you heard correctly.

But remember there is politics involved in this and there are competing factions in the county.

That there are five votes on the commission and when Chairman Austin came in, three of those five votes wanted to keep Ms. Cochran over the chairman's objection is politics.

That is actually 'pretty strong' in terms of politics. Indeed, in this time of severe government cutbacks, few teachers or state and county employees have the pull to get a letter like the one written for her that would promised them a job through the July 2011.

I think the relevant issue here is that she had the political power to gain leverage enough to get the letter written by someone who really didn't want to write it (Austin.)

But the point as far as the current race is concerned is that she much more than a dutiful assistant to the former chairmen (Shearin and Carruth) but a powerful player with political skills and abilities enough to avoid being pushed into the cold with little to nothing in the way of severence, unlike most in government who lost their jobs and became hapless victims of the economy.

I do understand why David Austin, having already been forced by Ms. Cochran to do something he didn't want to do (sign the letter), would not find her presence on the board a reason for celebration.

But in my interview with David, he acknowledged with a smile that she certainly has the right to run for the post and if elected, the right to sit on the board.

pubby

Dang Pubby, did YOU write this? That was the best, most researched post I have see yu make ina long time! Good Job!

I know we would get you to leave the "The Dark Side" sooner or later!

As I recall elections past let me remind the Pcom audience you earned your moniker 'animal' by dropping bombs just like the kind you seem to deplore here.

pubby

And now back on topic.....

Just WHY is Beverly Cochran running for the Post 2 Commission Seat ?

It is plainly obvious she would like to be in a position to thwart any and all agendas, projects, goals, and plans for the county David Austin tries to put into place.

And from where I sit, electing her will be putting Shearin's influence back onto the BOC.

So, have you actually talked to her or are you pulling this out of your backside like usual?

I have talked to her and her only reason for running was because people were still calling her needing help and she was no longer able to do so. After many, many request for help and people asking her to run for office, she decided to run.

Administrative assistants are very powerful folks in political offices ... and the commission chairman job is definitely a political position.

Part of the job of the AA is to take a low key role and make it 'all about the boss.' Good one's do quite well at that with the press and general public. But when it comes to the brokering of power, the AA is right in the middle of it.

I was lucky enough to see the role of the professional AA's from the inside when I worked in the US Senate. This is nearly 34 years ago but Washingtonian Magazine rated the JW Fulbright's Senate Staff as one of the top ten on Capitol Hill ion 1973. Heck, a few years before I was there, one of the low level staffers was Bill Clinton. Not all would be considered wild-eyed liberals either. One of other the 'junior' Legislative Assistants while I was there was a fellow named Ed Yingling who today the president and CEO of the American Bankers Association.)

But the AA in this office was one of two key decisionmakers. (The senator's personal secretary was the other).

Between them, they could handle a good part of the routine business of the Senate office and while the Senator was given routine briefings ... as a politician you have to be aware of a multitude of things going on around you ... as a committee chairman, The senator's efforts were highly focused on the committee. The senate office obviously couldn't ignore issues outside foreign relations and expect to be re-elected so one of the key tasks of the office was to handle the electoral politics freeing the Senator to do the statesman job of being the CFR chair.

The point is that no politician is a Renaissance Man knowledgeable on all subjects and intimately aware of every person in their constituency. Politicians surround themselves with folks of high caliber to do these tasks and to act as soundboards and, certainly after years of working together, the aide learns what the boss wants (or at least thinks they know.) The AA in a political office is the person (often a guy) who does the hiring and firing for the political office, hob nobs with those folks the Senator doesn't want to hob nob with and, I know in the office I worked, was known to sign the Senators name to letters on all sorts of subjects related to politics. Made and brokered and was involved in political deals on most areas of legislation outside foreign relations.

The point is if the role of the county clerk was just "filing papers and typing up the minutes of the meeting," it wouldn't have been worth $64,000/yr.

pubby

Dang Pubby, right after I give you props, you revert back to the darkside and starting making statements about something unrelated to the topic at hand. I ask again, do you have any proof of your accusations? Or mearly conjecture on your part because of an experience from 34 years ago?

Good post animal! I know we haven't always seen eye to eye, but that was a good post!

So, have you actually talked to her or are you pulling this out of your backside like usual?

I have talked to her and her only reason for running was because people were still calling her needing help and she was no longer able to do so. After many, many request for help and people asking her to run for office, she decided to run.

You are correct as one of the reasons she is running and getting my vote.

Dang Pubby, right after I give you props, you revert back to the darkside and starting making statements about something unrelated to the topic at hand. I ask again, do you have any proof of your accusations? Or mearly conjecture on your part because of an experience from 34 years ago?

And I was only 8 years old like it matters to me today; like I had something to say back then.

A vote for Beverly is a vote to revert back to the corruption of the Shearin administration. We booted Shearin OUT of office and we don't want him (or his apprentice) back in there to screw folks of this county out of money again.

Just say NO to Beverly!

A vote for Beverly is a vote to revert back to the corruption of the Shearin administration. We booted Shearin OUT of office and we don't want him (or his apprentice) back in there to screw folks of this county out of money again.

Just say NO to Beverly!

Prove it or don't say it all. :wacko:

I keep asking that, but no one will answer. I think Surpip must have me on ignore! LOL.. Oh well.

That's because you have asked well thought out and great questions with an open, honest thought process. He's never going to answer them, never does!

Oh, great questions! :drinks:

Just say NO to Beverly!

That is your right to vote like YOU want. But can you provide PROOF of your accusations?

That is your right to vote like YOU want. But can you provide PROOF of your accusations?

Shearin was crooked and he lost his reelection bid in a landslide. Beverly was Shearin's apprentice. Read the previous posts.

Shearin was crooked and he lost his reelection bid in a landslide. Beverly was Shearin's apprentice. Read the previous posts.

Again, provide the proof that Beverly was crooked and also provide the proof that Jerry was crooked. 8)

Well I am obviously of a different mind set because I am not perplexed by the fact she received a settlement on a contract when she was let go. Happens everyday. If you have a contract guaranteeing you something, you expect it to be fulfilled, correct? If it is not fulfilled, you go from there. This instance it was a settlement for a lessor amount then would have been received if the contract were held up, so I have no problem with that.

Why weren't all the people laid off given the same/similar deal? We are not all "equal". What one gets does not mean everyone does. She had a contract, did the water people? (Now I know the school teachers not renewed did not. Their contracts will expire and they are offered on a yearly basis. So no breach on the contract, just stinks for education, but that is a whole other topic!) Anyone that had a contract in hand should have received compensation/resolution on said contract.

I agree all employees are not equal, Appears to me that only the politically connected get the sweet heart deals,Sorry to disagree with you,but she is no better than anyone else, She did not deserve a contract that gave her preferential treatment.

I have no one on ignore, you or anyone else.

Subby got my lawn tractor starter repaired late Friday and I installed it yesterday and have been cutting almost 3 acres of knee high grass.

Now to reiterate:

I did an open records request for "any available information/paperwork concerning any and all financial and other settlement details in regards to Beverly Cochran and her departure from her employment with Paulding County."

I was given the 9 page settlement agreement and consent agreement and 2 canceled checks. All 9 pages I received have been posted I believe by Patton. I was unable to get them posted myself.

I have since sent another request, and have asked why I was not given Beverly's "Employment Contract". I assume I will hear something next week.

However, that does not change the jist of my topic: That is "Why is Beverly running?"

From where I sit she has an ax to grind with David Austin and the fact she was indeed removed from a very high paying cushy local job. I know many with graduate degrees and 20+ years of experience who are driving an hour to work for far less than $64,000 per year. And Beverly with a High School Degree is knocking down $64k working locally. Yes, I might try to get revenge on someone who I thought cost me a job like that as well.

I had a great deal of interfacing with the Chairman's office from 2002 untii 2006 when I entered my suits against the county. I had a great many conversations with Beverly during that time up to when I filed my suits. I found her to be very artful at dodging the issues and changing the subject including when she refused to provide me with a written copy of the zoning stipulations showing my stipulations at the March 22, 2005 BOC meeting, stating instead "I only have enough copies for the applicants so you cannot have one".

That also happened to be the stipulations which contained errors and mistakes, but we did not receive our written copies until a month afterwards.

And for what it is worth, or not, my suits are also for broken contracts.

The contract I had with the county to enforce the laws, rules, and zoning stipulations.

We were given written stipulations, which the developer ignored, and the BOC, Community Development Office and the PDOT all looked the other way and let the developer do whatever he wanted, including taking part of our property. The first 2-1/2 feet of the front yards across the street is land we paid for 27 years ago and land we ARE STILL PAYING TAXES ON TODAY, including the entire street.

And since then, the BOC with the same "Three Beverly Vote Members" have made the decision to pay out over $1MILLION Dollar of taxpayer money in legal fees to Holland & Knight Law Firm in Atlanta to litigate us and attempt to prevent us from getting out day in court. Is that the same sort of contract ?

Your comment on the teacher's not having contract challenges is in error as well. ALL of the teachers have taken furlough days NOT IN THEIR CONTRACTS. Should they file a class action suit ?

I see Beverly wanting to get on the BOC to keep up and maintain the RBMD voting block which still exists today. Kirby and Powell are both retiring and you can bet your ass the RBMDs are concerned about loosing control of the BOC with only Ragsdale remaining. With Beverly elected they will be a step closer to maintaining a presence.

If you want to support Beverly; endorse Shearin's regime; and let the RBMDs keep doing their puppeteer show; then by all means go out and vote for Beverly. The RBMDs and builders will be glad you did.

If you want to break the RBMD control then vote for Todd Pownall.

It really does boil down to just those choices.

I agree all employees are not equal, Appears to me that only the politically connected get the sweet heart deals,Sorry to disagree with you,but she is no better than anyone else, She did not deserve a contract that gave her preferential treatment.

So you want to chastise her for being smart enough to request an employment contract when being transferred due to political reasons? I think it was a smart move on her part.

Sounds like to me she is someone who knows how politics works and knows how to get things done!

You are free to think and vote like you want.

Subby got my lawn tractor starter repaired late Friday and I installed it yesterday and have been cutting almost 3 acres of knee high grass.

Now to reiterate:

I did an open records request for "any available information/paperwork concerning any and all financial and other settlement details in regards to Beverly Cochran and her departure from her employment with Paulding County."

I was given the 9 page settlement agreement and consent agreement and 2 canceled checks. All 9 pages I received have been posted I believe by Patton. I was unable to get them posted myself.

I have since sent another request, and have asked why I was not given Beverly's "Employment Contract". I assume I will hear something next week.

However, that does not change the jist of my topic: That is "Why is Beverly running?"

From where I sit she has an ax to grind with David Austin and the fact she was indeed removed from a very high paying cushy local job. I know many with graduate degrees and 20+ years of experience who are driving an hour to work for far less than $64,000 per year. And Beverly with a High School Degree is knocking down $64k working locally. Yes, I might try to get revenge on someone who I thought cost me a job like that as well.

I had a great deal of interfacing with the Chairman's office from 2002 untii 2006 when I entered my suits against the county. I had a great many conversations with Beverly during that time up to when I filed my suits. I found her to be very artful at dodging the issues and changing the subject including when she refused to provide me with a written copy of the zoning stipulations showing my stipulations at the March 22, 2005 BOC meeting, stating instead "I only have enough copies for the applicants so you cannot have one".

That also happened to be the stipulations which contained errors and mistakes, but we did not receive our written copies until a month afterwards.

The contract I had with the county to enforce the laws, rules, and zoning stipulations.

We were given written stipulations, which the developer ignored, and the BOC, Community Development Office and the PDOT all looked the other way and let the developer do whatever he wanted, including taking part of our property. The first 2-1/2 feet of the front yards across the street is land we paid for 27 years ago and land we ARE STILL PAYING TAXES ON TODAY, including the entire street.

And since then, the BOC with the same "Three Beverly Vote Members" have made the decision to pay out over $1MILLION Dollar of taxpayer money in legal fees to Holland & Knight Law Firm in Atlanta to litigate us and attempt to prevent us from getting out day in court. Is that the same sort of contract ?

Your comment on the teacher's not having contract challenges is in error as well. ALL of the teachers have taken furlough days NOT IN THEIR CONTRACTS. Should they file a class action suit ?

I see Beverly wanting to get on the BOC to keep up and maintain the RBMD voting block which still exists today. Kirby and Powell are both retiring and you can bet your ass the RBMDs are concerned about loosing control of the BOC with only Ragsdale remaining. With Beverly elected they will be a step closer to maintaining a presence.

If you want to support Beverly; endorse Shearin's regime; and let the RBMDs keep doing their puppeteer show; then by all means go out and vote for Beverly. The RBMDs and builders will be glad you did.

There is ONLY one person here with an ax to grind!

Your preferred candidate would be much better served if you were talk about their good work and planned agenda, instead of playing dirty politics on the behalf of that canidate. It appears that people are getting tired of this!

• Like 2

So you want to chastise her for being smart enough to request an employment contract when being transferred due to political reasons? I think it was a smart move on her part.

Sounds like to me she is someone who knows how politics works and knows how to get things done!

You are free to think and vote like you want.

If I have followed and understand the issue correctly, It is not a matter of smarts, But rather a political connection with some of the good old boy commissioners left over fron the previous adminstration

I almost missed this part. Todd has been a Realtor and a managing broker for a long time and has more connections to the builders and developers in this county then anyone else I know. How is this a break from the RBMD's? Is he going to shut down his business? I doubt it.

If I have followed and understand the issue correctly, It is not a matter of smarts, But rather a political connection with some of the good old boy commissioners left over fron the previous adminstration

I'm sorry Dot, but you do not understand the issues correctly. You still want Paulding County the way it was back in the 50's and that's never going to happen.

Let me ask you one question, do you want a bunch of commissioners that all agree with what the Chairman wants or people who are going to speak out and ask questions?

Based on what you read here by vindictive democrats?

See, thats the bottom line, the end. You can't tell me that anyone with a contract would take the breaking of that contract lying down and if they say otherwise, THEY ARE LYING. Should she have had a contract? I don't know, maybe not.......BUT SHE HAD ONE because she was smart enough to insist on one, it was broken and she didn't stand for it, just like nobody else would have. But she doesn't seem to be the only one in Paulding suing people, so why is one lawsuit OK and one not? It's costing the taxpayers of Paulding county just the same.

Edited by momof 3

Now to reiterate:

Surepip I do not have time to respond to all of this right now. (It's a long one) I will later, but I am glad you do not have me on ignore! :)

See, thats the bottom line, the end. You can't tell me that anyone with a contract would take the breaking of that contract lying down and if they say otherwise, THEY ARE LYING. Should she have had a contract? I don't know, maybe not.......BUT SHE HAD ONE because she was smart enough to insist on one, it was broken and she didn't stand for it, just like nobody else would have. But she doesn't seem to be the only one in Paulding suing people, so why is one lawsuit OK and one not? It's costing the taxpayers of Paulding county just the same.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: This is exactly the point behind half of my questions! I know the title reads one thing, but it came down to her and that darn contract as the smoking gun. I just don't see the smoke! LOL

Now to reiterate:

So, these broken contracts that you speak of, had YOUR name specifically on them just like hers did? Why is it OK for you to sue over a broken contract and some sort of anarchy when someone else sues for the same thing? Thats like the pot calling the kettle black.

Edited by momof 3

I'm sorry Dot, but you do not understand the issues correctly. You still want Paulding County the way it was back in the 50's and that's never going to happen.

Let me ask you one question, do you want a bunch of commissioners that all agree with what the Chairman wants or people who are going to speak out and ask questions?

I was not here in the 50’s, so I have no idea what it was like here back then.

I was here during the 2000 thru 2008 administration and I am completely aware of what it was like then, and even today, some of the remnants of that administration are left over, with the likes of Kirby, Powell, And Ragsdale. Two of which have opted not to seek re election.

You Stated

It appears to me, that the three commissioners mentioned above refused to move Mrs. Cochran from her previous position, thus the need for the contract in question.

As the old saying goes birds of a feather flock together, it is truly a sad day when a new incoming Commission Chairman, Cannot put employees in top decision making positions that would advance the platform that they ran on.

This should be a given to any incoming Commission Chairman

Winchester, I believe I do understand, Even better than yourself,This is the good old bot network working at it's finest.

BTW was you here in the 50's, I thought not,just some more of your idle talk

Surepip I do not have time to respond to all of this right now. (It's a long one) I will later, but I am glad you do not have me on ignore! :)

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: This is exactly the point behind half of my questions! I know the title reads one thing, but it came down to her and that darn contract as the smoking gun. I just don't see the smoke! LOL

Me neither! This isn't about her running for anything, it's about the contract that she insisted that they honor. Good for her!!

Yep! If I had one I would make sure it was honored. It does not matter who I would vote for if I could vote in Post 2 this is a fact and it can't be twisted. Right is Right!

I almost missed this part. Todd has been a Realtor and a managing broker for a long time and has more connections to the builders and developers in this county then anyone else I know. How is this a break from the RBMD's? Is he going to shut down his business? I doubt it.

Are you a realtor?

I suspect Beverly had dug up some dirt on the three commissioners who voted to give her a sweetheart contract. In any case, Jerry Shearin lost in a landslide. I'm hoping his young apprentice Beverly will lose as well.

Since when has someone gave you the authority to make such a statement :wacko:

Either you provide proof or your accusations mean zero. Is that clearer for you? :rolleyes:

Now to reiterate:

More accusations with no credibility.

Why are you not going after the other people running eh? :rolleyes:

I call bull..prove it.

And his has cost way much more and those who trashed Jerry in the last election felt getting David in there would move his suit forward. Well it did not and all I am seeing is someone who is bent on destroying someone just because they happened to work for the past admin.

He should be moaning about David, not Beverly.

So, these broken contracts that you speak of, had YOUR name specifically on them just like hers did? Why is it OK for you to sue over a broken contract and some sort of anarchy when someone else sues for the same thing? Thats like the pot calling the kettle black.

:good:

Either you provide proof or your accusations mean zero. Is that clearer for you? :rolleyes:

More accusations with no credibility.

Why are you not going after the other people running eh? :rolleyes:

I call bull..prove it.

See the interview that Mrs Cochran had with Pubby

Care to elaborate what kind of help she could provide as a AA, That she can no longer provide?

Now to reiterate:

As well as what? What other error have I made? I was actually not in error on that. I am a teacher. I am offered or not offered a contract each year. My comment was in reference to one of the posters asking why the water people or school teachers should not also get a cushy settlement when let go. (Nothing to do with furloughs or current contracts. Only speaking of teachers NOT OFFERED CONTRACTS Not getting a settlement when they left)

I typed out a long reply and deleted it. It just doesn't matter what I write. I am looking at the situation from the outside with no affiliation with anyone and the people that are against this candidate are against her. No matter if certain things are pointed out. I did address one thing you wrote. I highlighted yours in blue and typed in red.